Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 17:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Enfield Bullet - Standard 350 or 500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust_in_peace View Post
I am happy with my Desert Storm 500. The only thing missing is the legendary stripes. Buy I live with the matt finish, the vintage and simple looks and the torque which I like since a year.
You can get the gold pinstripes hand painted. Here in Pune there is NS Arts in Camp who is an expert on that for all repainted Bullets. Though to be honest, he still cannot match the flow and shape of the original RE hand painters. An old Bullet eye can make out the difference. But its very close.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st July 2014 at 17:26.
Old 31st July 2014, 17:28   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
It is for the same reasons I am thinking of the Thunderbird 500. In my case it would be almost 99% used in the city and not for highway cruising. In the city, will a Classic/Bullet 500 fare better than a Thunderbird 500?
IMHO, Classic/Standard type of shape of bullets look the real bullet. Many say TB is not even a bullet

If you ride 99% of time in city then it has to be Classic 500.

People buy TB if they are using it for long highway distances as the seating position in TB is much more comfortable than the Classic
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 17:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
People buy TB if they are using it for long highway distances as the seating position in TB is much more comfortable than the Classic
It differs from rider to rider Avi. I was never comfortable on first the Lightning and then the Thunderbird. While some Lightning/TBird riders just do not feel one with the standards. My friend who bought my LB was never as comfortable riding her (he did not even "look" at ease on it) as he was his Thunderbird and his Lightning. And regarding comfort levels, both of us have clocked 1500-km days on our respective steeds of choice. It might be a bit of a blanket generalisation, but at least in my circle, the taller guys like the standards, and the shorter guys go for the Lightnings/Thunderbirds.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st July 2014 at 17:49.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 17:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, Classic/Standard type of shape of bullets look the real bullet. Many say TB is not even a bullet

If you ride 99% of time in city then it has to be Classic 500.

I agree that the retro looks of classic/std are the ones that come to a mind when we say bullet.

I used to drive a pulsar 150 cc earlier and even for short distances I used to feel backpain and a sore butt and I read that the spring seats of the classic are not all that comfortable and it is for this reason I thought the Thunderbird seating might be my best bet in the RE stable.

That said if there is one vehicle that still keeps my interest towards the classic, it is the classic chrome called "Maroon Marauder".

Everytime I think classic is not for me, and I see a new pic of the Marauder in your thread, I start drooling.

Anyways, leaving everything else aside, between the classic and the Thunderbird, which one feels more nimble (relatively) to weave through traffic (both at standstill and at moderate speeds)?. I could not come to a definitive conclusion based on the test drives I have had thus far.

Last edited by drvhplyevraftr : 31st July 2014 at 18:02.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 20:51   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
It might be a bit of a blanket generalisation, but at least in my circle, the taller guys like the standards, and the shorter guys go for the Lightnings/Thunderbirds.
Now that you mention that Doc, i did notice that most riders on TB are indeed short statured.

I know for sure that riding long distances on Classic is really a pain in the backside (literally) as I have done maximum of 400kms on my bull and once rode back home non-stop for 150kms and my back felt like it was on fire...In stark contrast, Riding 200kms at stretch on the Bonnie feels like a walk in the park

Rode the TB also for a fairly long distance and I think its way more comfortable than classic for sure

Quote:
That said if there is one vehicle that still keeps my interest towards the classic, it is the classic chrome called "Maroon Marauder"

Everytime I think classic is not for me, and I see a new pic of the Marauder in your thread, I start drooling.
Thank you. Indeed, Maroon Marauder turns more eyes than Black Bruiser

Quote:
Anyways, leaving everything else aside, between the classic and the Thunderbird, which one feels more nimble (relatively) to weave through traffic (both at standstill and at moderate speeds)?. I could not come to a definitive conclusion based on the test drives I have had thus far.
Well, I have rode both bikes and I feel handling of Classic is way better than the TB because of the placement of the handlebar. TB handle bars are for comfort riding and taking quick turns and swerving will not be as nimble as the Classic

Btw, changing the stock tyres to Michelins have improved my Classic's handling by a huge leap
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 11:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know for sure that riding long distances on Classic is really a pain in the backside (literally) as I have done maximum of 400kms on my bull and once rode back home non-stop for 150kms and my back felt like it was on fire...In stark contrast, Riding 200kms at stretch on the Bonnie feels like a walk in the park

Rode the TB also for a fairly long distance and I think its way more comfortable than classic for sure
That's because with all due respect to the aesthetic and "vintage" value of the springed seat, it is a piece of unadulterated crap. The pillion seat is worse than unadulterated crap. I can say both authoritatively, as I've parked my backside on both for a few hundred kms at a stretch. Change to a normal stepped Bullet single seat and feel the difference. Many generations of Indian backsides have found it a comfortable perch. No reason why your backside should or would be different! I have a theory that the Bullet died in Great Britain and came to and continued living and thriving in India because the Bullet seat was designed by the British - but for Indian backsides.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 11:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that the retro looks of classic/std are the ones that come to a mind when we say bullet.

I used to drive a pulsar 150 cc earlier and even for short distances I used to feel backpain and a sore butt and I read that the spring seats of the classic are not all that comfortable and it is for this reason I thought the Thunderbird seating might be my best bet in the RE stable.

That said if there is one vehicle that still keeps my interest towards the classic, it is the classic chrome called "Maroon Marauder".

Guys another debate about Thunderbird not being a Bullet could go on and on, so let's just leave it there. I myself thought that the Thunderbird is a poser bike until I rode the old Thunderbird AVL 350(current ride) it just blew me away with its torque delivery and comfort. I have ridden it a couple of times on long trips and several times in Mumbai city and I don't think it is as bad a handler as people bring it out to be and mind you this comes from a rider who already owns and rides two Bullet Stanadard CI 350's. Coming to the all new Thunderbird 500 EFi, this is one bike that RE had upgraded by leaps and bounds ofcourse in terms of RE standards. The new Thunderbird 500 sure feels heavier and bulkier than the Classic series and Bullet Standard series thanks to its humongous 20 ltr fuel tank, but once it sets in motion all that bulkyness and heavyness disappears. I can say this as I already ride the older AVL Thunderbird and I find the all new Thunderbird 500 is a better handler than my AVL Thunderbird and can definitely keep up with the Standard and Classic series in the city as well as on highways. I took a test ride of the new Thunderbird and was pleasantly surprised to see its handling characteristics, I realized that RE has redesigned the rear swingarm, added chunky front forks and have also reduced the wheelbase by a few millimeters to aid in handling. The point here is what are you looking for? is it comfort, is it handling, is it the looks, is it the name, is it the power, etc. Although being a hardcore 350 Cast Iron head, one ride of the Thunderbird 500 floored me in many aspects. One of them being that the Thunderbird is a two in one bike, it can be used for normal city commutes as well as for super long rides with minimal modifications(it has a 20 ltr fuel tank, rear seat can be dismantled easily and one can mount saddle bags for touring, world famous Keihin EFi system, etc.) and provide you with the best of both worlds.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 1st August 2014 at 11:49. Reason: grammatical correction
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 15:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
the taller guys like the standards, and the shorter guys go for the Lightnings/Thunderbirds.
I am of average height and the Same reason why i opted for Thunderbird ,since i could not rest my feet properly on the ground compared to TB which was comfortable , also it is a heavy bike and more support is always better .
Old 1st August 2014, 18:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Black tape on sealed beam chrome rim - HID or rains? Also, your front mudguard is not stock?
Its just aesthetics. A black painted rim where i wanted to mount a black mesh cover. But left it as is. The front mud guard is custom while the original with those lovely paint and golden stripes. Removed it day 1 and kept it in my safe place

Quote:
P.S. I miss those original factory fitted Gabriel rear shocks. My current Armstrong ones are all crap in comparison.
The rear shocks are wonderful. When the bikes loaded with two of us it almost goes over every damn thing and the pillion always said the shocks are good. When fully loaded the rear shocks is a different thing.

Anyway..back to the topic. We still recommend 500 as you can see how much we love the 500
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Removed it day 1 and kept it in my safe place
Believe it or not, quirky fact but one of my "safe places" (there are many tijoris) is the inbuilt storage area of my bed. LOL

Some things are way too precious to be stored in the garage .....
Old 2nd August 2014, 20:45   #41
BHPian

@hsparida : The newer 500s are not like the older ones. With the catalytic converters shoved up the pipes, they are basically jetted lean for regulated emission purposes. With the RE mechanics who cannot differentiate between the air screw and fuel screw, from my own experience, I would say to go for the EFI 500 Bullets and have peace of mind.
Don't know why RE has stopped production of this model of Bullet EFI 500. (Can't see it in their website catalogue)

regards adrian
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Bullet - Standard 350 or 500?-bullet500efiblackrightsidemotorcycle.jpg  

Last edited by adrian : 2nd August 2014 at 21:05.
Old 4th August 2014, 16:34   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@hsparida : The newer 500s are not like the older ones. With the catalytic converters shoved up the pipes, they are basically jetted lean for regulated emission purposes. With the RE mechanics who cannot differentiate between the air screw and fuel screw, from my own experience, I would say to go for the EFI 500 Bullets and have peace of mind.
Don't know why RE has stopped production of this model of Bullet EFI 500. (Can't see it in their website catalogue)

regards adrian
adrian,

I'd love to get this Black beauty EFI, but I found that this is only Exported and not available in India. Apparently, these initial EFI bikes did not have the O2 sensors on them to keep cost down and that messed up the fuel delivery. RE chose to address this issue by taking the bike off the market. The Classic 500s still have EFI and I've read about similar "issues" on other threads.
Old 4th August 2014, 20:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsparida View Post
adrian,

I'd love to get this Black beauty EFI, but I found that this is only Exported and not available in India. Apparently, these initial EFI bikes did not have the O2 sensors on them to keep cost down and that messed up the fuel delivery. RE chose to address this issue by taking the bike off the market. The Classic 500s still have EFI and I've read about similar "issues" on other threads.
Initially it was there in the Indian market. Too bad that they have withdrawn the model. The problems of plug fouling in the EFI version of bullets have been sorted out by RE. I have a couple of friends with 500 EFIs (Thunderbirds, Classics and Desert Storms) and they are all happy with their motorcycles in the diverse weather conditions of Kerala.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 20:56   #44

Hi folks, an update. After deciding on the STD500 I had walked into Kings Autoriders in Pune over the weekend with the family to choose between the Black and the Forest Green. It came down to the Green by unanimous vote As luck would have it, they in fact have one such in stock (in preparation for the upcoming 'season', they say).

So the payment is made today, the required papers submitted and the bike is scheduled for delivery on Aug 29 (Ganesh Chaturthi). These next few days will feel so long...

I'm planning to have a crashguard installed and the stickers on the air pump and the other side (where it comes completely empty these days). Dont know how much the stickers are but the crashguard they say is 1800 bucks.

Any suggestions for the PDI - things I should watch out for?
hsparida is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 22:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsparida View Post

Any suggestions for the PDI - things I should watch out for?
Congrats !

In PDI check the bike thoroughly for rust etc. have a small TD for unwanted noise from engine or other parts etc. Check the manufacturing form the delivery slip from showroom.

Do not buy the crash guard or any accessory from them, get the bike and ride to Nana Peth. That guard cost 800 Rs in Nana Peth.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks