Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 00:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Enfield Bullet - Standard 350 or 500?

Congrats on your new ride hsparida. Hope you have long distance safe rides.
Old 26th August 2014, 10:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

Congrats to you and welcome to the world of RE. Good choice I must say after all this discussion. The forest green with those golden stripes looks so regal and elegant on a Bullet Standard 500. I can feel your joy, I too am eagerly awaiting for my Marine Blue Thunderbird 500 delivery. As many have posted on this forum do a thorough PDI before you take the delivery and also get the accessories fitted from a reputed shop outside of the showroom as it will turn out to be affordable. Congrats once again and enjoy many miles with your Bullet Standard 500.

Ride Safe

Last edited by navin_v8 : 26th August 2014 at 10:03. Reason: additional information
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 11:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

Congos hsparida.I booked a DS on Saturday.Expecting it to be delivered by November.
Old 8th September 2014, 12:18   #49

Here's closure...the Bullet is now mine

Here are some pics...I'll also share my experience in the Ownership thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Bullet - Standard 350 or 500?-20140904-bullet-005.jpg  

Enfield Bullet - Standard 350 or 500?-20140904-bullet-006.jpg  

Enfield Bullet - Standard 350 or 500?-20140904-bullet-012-lowres.jpg  

hsparida is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 22:24   #50
BHPian

hi all

I booked classic 350 in febuary - might receive it in two weeks.

yesterday i met a friend who owned classic 350 and sold it off and instead bought standard 500. he was complaining that classic 350's engine started giving him big troubles - loud engine clatter of sorts etc.

Now, I am in a dilemma. I dont like the 500's dimensions/weight and looks (totally subjective). And I like 350's looks and handling.

Is there any real truth behind 350's engine troubles? I have seen a number of complaints in about the same matter in enfield forums - so, should i change my booking?

Last edited by nevinfrancis : 24th April 2016 at 22:26.
Old 24th April 2016, 22:48   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinfrancis View Post
hi all

I booked classic 350 in febuary - might receive it in two weeks.

yesterday i met a friend who owned classic 350 and sold it off and instead bought standard 500. he was complaining that classic 350's engine started giving him big troubles - loud engine clatter of sorts etc.

Now, I am in a dilemma. I dont like the 500's dimensions/weight and looks (totally subjective). And I like 350's looks and handling.

Is there any real truth behind 350's engine troubles? I have seen a number of complaints in about the same matter in enfield forums - so, should i change my booking?
Not at all, there is no issue with 350 engine and you can go ahead with your choice and liking. However remember that each engine shows some different character and you have to do break in very carefully otherwise its big engines and when it start showing problems then its unstoppable job.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 23:06   #52
BHPian

that's reassuring to hear. Actually I test drove both and found the 350 more suited to my liking - plain heart over head matter. 500 felt like a locomotive meant for some serious weight hauling, whereas the classic chestnut red 350 really looked suited for me when I sat on it. That's why I booked it on the first place.

Last edited by nevinfrancis : 24th April 2016 at 23:07.
Old 24th April 2016, 23:14   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Have you seen anywhere near 443 complaints?

That number represents 1 percent of the 350cc Royal Enfields produced in just one month, based on the most recent post here on this forum listing the monthly production of the various motorcycle companies in India.

In February, Royal Enfield produced 44314, 350cc motorcycles.

If the average monthly production was even half of that, Royal Enfield would have made over 265000, 350cc motorcycles per year.

If there truly was a problem with Royal Enfield's UCE powered motorcycles, the web pages would have tens of thousands of complaints.

Don't worry about it. Just break it in easy and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 24th April 2016 at 23:15.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 23:44   #54
BHPian

no

this is what i was referring to http://royalenfield.com/community/fo...?topicid=10871

and incidently, this is the exact problem that forced by friend to sell off his classic 350 too and it got me worried.
Old 24th April 2016, 23:45   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Have you seen anywhere near 443 complaints?

That number represents 1 percent of the 350cc Royal Enfields produced in just one month, based on the most recent post here on this forum listing the monthly production of the various motorcycle companies in India.

In February, Royal Enfield produced 44314, 350cc motorcycles.

If the average monthly production was even half of that, Royal Enfield would have made over 265000, 350cc motorcycles per year.

If there truly was a problem with Royal Enfield's UCE powered motorcycles, the web pages would have tens of thousands of complaints.

Don't worry about it. Just break it in easy and enjoy the ride.
The way you present things is really amazing Jim sir. Your way of looking at things has its own perspective and very very simple to understand. Always a joy to have you with us on our forum sir.

Respect !!
Old 25th April 2016, 03:02   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
no

this is what i was referring to http://royalenfield.com/community/fo...?topicid=10871

and incidently, this is the exact problem that forced by friend to sell off his classic 350 too and it got me worried.
Thank you for the link.

I am surprised no one answered the question given in the referenced post on the RE site.

To summarize it, the owner has noticed a loud clacking sound from the engine when he first starts it. He refers to it as a "METALLIC CRASH SOUND".
He mentions that the sound goes away after the engine runs a bit.

The answer to his question and to any owner of the Royal Enfield UCE powered motorcycles is, this is completely normal and nothing to worry about.

The source of the noise he is hearing is the automatic decompression device that all of the UCE engines have and although the loud clacking noise is very disconcerting to people, no harm to the engine will occur.

To explain, the exhaust cam has a spring loaded lever built into it.
One end of the lever has a small bump on it which sticks out above the profile of the exhaust cam when the engine is not running.

As the cam rotates, this bump keeps the exhaust valve lifter from moving all the way down, so the exhaust valve is held slightly open to release some of the compression.
This not only makes it easier for the electric starter motor to crank the engine but it keeps the piston from turning the crankshaft backwards on the last compression stroke when the engine is turned off. (That prevents damage to the electric starter system sprag clutch).

When the engine starts and begins to idle, the other end of this decompression lever which extends quite some distance from the devices pivot point is thrown outward due to centrifugal force.
When it moves outward, the small bump moves down below the exhaust cams profile. In this position, the exhaust cam operates like a normal cam.

The lever is supposed to move outward and allow normal cam operation when the engine reaches speeds over 700 RPM.

This is fine and usually it works well however on a cold morning with the engine running very slowly because the oil is thick, a combination of the slow engine speed coupled with the thick oil can keep the lever from moving from the centrifugal force.

When this happens, the bump on the decompression lever remains out and the valve lifter makes a "whack" sound every time it bumps into it.

Although it causes no damage, I recommend revving up the engine a bit (even though it's cold) to force the decompression lever to move due to the increased centrifugal force so that it will stop interfering with the normal cam function and quit making the loud sould.

Hopefully, you now understand why the engine was making the noise.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 25th April 2016 at 03:11.
ArizonaJim is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 07:59   #57
BHPian

that was a quite detailed and informative answer. thanks for clearing up
Old 23rd September 2020, 00:38   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsparida View Post
Here's closure...the Bullet is now mine

Here are some pics...I'll also share my experience in the Ownership thread.
Hello hsparida,
Can you please update with your experiences with Bullet 500!
Is it still with you!

Thanks

Most Viewed