Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2006, 10:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

RX 135 Thread

Guys,

I have a 2001 5 Speed Yamaha RX135 .i brought the bike second hand in good condition but sadly it did not have any service manual nor did the owner have any service records.So i am not aware of the service intervals ,and other consumables that have to be replaced periodically.
initially i was getting 40kpl ,but now after getting it serviced from yamaha dealer the FE has gone down to 30 kpl ....so i have decided that henceforth i would do a few things like carb cleaning ,air filter cleaning ,replacing plugs and tightening the chain myself like i used to in my splendor .
As we have quite a few RX 135 owners here ,why not use this thread to share info on servicing it and getting the best out of it .

Cheers,

Satya
Old 25th July 2006, 18:36   #2
BHPian

Yes SS, I agree with the thread you have started. It definitely is a great idea. I too have a '99 4-speed RX135 & am also looking out for a well kept enfield 350 also.

Well for starters, premium quality fuel makes a good difference to your pick-up. Its wise to get a new (original) air filter at prescribed intervals, also the s.plugs etc. which also you have mentioned.
In addition getting the entire silencer removed & getting it cleaned thoroughly will also help a lot. Keeping a check of oil level, (not to forget 2T) is a weekly/fortnightly affair ofcourse.
But Magnetic Oil for a 2 stroke is advisible or not, I ain't too sure.
I think the front rims need to be good as they used to get damaged easily, I believe.

Come on RX135ers join in.........

az

Last edited by autozealot : 25th July 2006 at 18:39.
Old 25th July 2006, 19:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey guyz even i have a RXZ 135 4 speed..
what i have noticed to get best out of a yamaha make sure that clutch plate is in good condition, clean the carb and filter and guyz like me who forget to check 2T oil,will suggest they can use 2T mixed oil (in right mixture) coz if you forget the 2T oil your bike will cease and it will damage your block piston. i normally service my bike after 1500-2000 KM.
Old 25th July 2006, 20:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Here is my modest service advice. I have owned a RX 100 for 4 years and now own an RX 135. The bike will easily take a lot of thrasing, But it will deliver if you keep it in good shape. Service manuals will not do much help.
The idea is to learn to service ourselves. Most RX lovers do.

Some of the things to keep in mind:

1.Use a premium quality engine oil and avoid mixing it in the fuel tank. Petrol bunks give bad and adultered 2T. (Believe me, I have owned
and run a petrol bunk) Service your oil pump and ensure 2T in the side oil tank. If your pump is missing (most are stolen if you brought your bike second hand), use the quality 2T sachets and mix in petrol. Usually 30 - 40ml for a litre of fuel.

2.Replace your gearoil once every 5000kms. Flush using a flusher oil. Will keep your gearshifts smooth.

3.Every 5000kms,
-clean your carbs
-Decarbonise silencers and clean the flute
-clean piston head top
-Check Spark clearance (10000kms replace them)
-Lubricate your chain set and adjust slack
-Clean air filter(replace if damaged)
-check all Cables and replace if tight - (doesnt cost much)
-check wheel bearings and lubricate
-check for unusual engine sound like piston slap or worn rings
-check for exhaust smoke and adjust oil delivery

Also do the other stuff required for another bike. Trust me, your bike will thrill you with superior performance. It works for me.
Old 25th July 2006, 22:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

See how neat my RX 135 looks. I always boast about my bike. I love that.
Old 25th July 2006, 23:54   #6
BHPian

Hi. Can anyone point out why this problem occurs in my 4 speed RX135?
Sometimes whilst shifting from 1st to 2nd gear when the bike is in motion, the shift is not neat. I mean it shifts to a silly position between the neutral & 2nd gear. I have to again bring down the engine rpm and then shift to the 2nd properly.
I got the 2 gear changer springs replaced too as per my mech. But the problem arose again after 40-50 kms of riding.
Any advise on this is welcome pls. Thanx
Old 26th July 2006, 14:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozealot
Hi. Can anyone point out why this problem occurs in my 4 speed RX135?
Sometimes whilst shifting from 1st to 2nd gear when the bike is in motion, the shift is not neat. I mean it shifts to a silly position between the neutral & 2nd gear. I have to again bring down the engine rpm and then shift to the 2nd properly.
I got the 2 gear changer springs replaced too as per my mech. But the problem arose again after 40-50 kms of riding.
Any advise on this is welcome pls. Thanx
Here the shifter springs are usually the culprits, but since have replaced them, the next logical thing to check perhaps could be your gear wheels. Try shifting up after increasing the RPM a little. I had this problem on my old RX and was rectified after changing the springs and increasing the RPM before I shift up. The tension of the springs also makes a difference.

Anyone else has a solution? Many owners would have faced this.
Old 26th July 2006, 14:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

check your clutch settings..
Old 26th July 2006, 15:10   #9
BHPian

-Ok mail4ajo will have to check the gear wheels

-pdev, the Clutch seems fine. As for the problem, what kind of setting you think is good?

thanx
Old 26th July 2006, 15:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

buddy may be your clutch is perfect but if your clutch setting is loose then you may face some issues in gear shifting.
Old 26th July 2006, 22:48   #11
BHPian

[quote=pdev29]buddy may be your clutch is perfect ......

@Pdev : Yeah, thats rite. Will check it over the weekend.

Hey! where are the rest of RX135 guys? Please join in with your comments/experiences

az
Old 27th July 2006, 11:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

what abt the air filter ...in my splendor i used to clean teh filter every fortnight and then used to soak it in engine oil before putting it back .
can i use 2t oil for doing this ...

any idea if i could fit 17 inch rims of teh pulsars ????
Old 27th July 2006, 11:48   #13
BHPian

SS, as for the air filter it is said that
-foam should be wet smeared with oil & not be soaked with drops of oil or excessive oil. Use 2T oil.
-air filter element should be cleaned @ specified intervals (2000 kms) or more frequently if the m/cycle is being operated in dusty or wet conditions/areas.
As for the rims, I think you can fit the pulsars. But please check out with your mech/ tyredealer before doing so.

az
Old 27th July 2006, 12:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozealot
SS, as for the air filter it is said that
-foam should be wet smeared with oil & not be soaked with drops of oil or excessive oil. Use 2T oil.

az
yeah i meant the same ...
i have bought a 5 liter can of 2T oil ....have been adding about 300 ml for every full tank ...also increased the oil flow from the pump ..

and how do i get the silencer decarboned ...how often should this be done
Old 27th July 2006, 13:12   #15
BHPian

SS, you can decarbonise it this way.

1st way (removing only the flute):
Unscrew the flute and pull it out with a pair of pointed plyers. Clean it with kerosense or petrol. Some stubborn greasy carbon deposits will be difficult to clean with petrol. If possible, take it to a garage and get the carbon burnt with the help of a small fire (i know this sounds dangerous). This will melt away all the thick carbon deposits ask the person to rub the flute with a metal brush (they call it tar-brush) used in welding work in the garage. You will be surprised to see the difference.
For, the silencer pipe, tie a damp cloth (damp it with petrol/kerosene) around a long (abt 2-3 feet) stick or iron rod/pipe (not too thick) & insert it in the silencer and get it rubbed throughly. After this is done, insert the flute & screw it tightly. Give the petrol/kerosene in the silencer some time to dry up before starting the engine.

2nd way (entire silencer): Remove the flute from the silencer, follow the same procedure as above. If there is less greasy carbon then no need to burn. Remove the entire silencer from the manifold pipe. Get it cleaned under a high pressure of water. Assemble the components back.

I think the flute needs to be cleaned atleat every alternate month (also depends on how many kms your bike runs) & the entire silencer during the regular lubrication service/tune-up.

Hope this helps

az

Last edited by autozealot : 27th July 2006 at 13:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks