Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2015, 03:01   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: TVS Scooty Pep+: Occasionally not starting & accelerating

I have no specific knowledge of the Scooty Pep but most scooters/motorcycles have a fairly easy way to gain access to the upper end of the accelerator cable.

Often, this just requires the removal of a few screws to open the housing at the right hand grip.

If you can get access, putting some oil into the cable until some of it runs out the lower end down by the carburetor will provide all of the lubrication it should need.

If the accelerator is still difficult to operate, look for areas where the cable might be kinked. If there are none it may be time to consider getting the cable replaced.
Old 16th October 2015, 11:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Update :
So while I did a 40 + 40km trip without seeing the engine-dying issue even once, it again popped up repeatedly when wifey was using it. And then I also started seeing this issue last week - a little too frequently and persistently. Luckily I was able to take it to the mechanic when the issue was there and he went for a ride. His comment on returning was, "To cross a busy road with this condition, would mean surely getting hit by a vehicle".

Anyway, the diagnosis was issue with carburettor - cleaning it. And also the air-filter. Which was done on Tuesday and while using it since then, the issue has not been seen. Touchwood.

I am wondering why we did not make this connect with the carburettor - a very plausible reason for engine choking / dying. I guess the symptom of electric-start not working (but kick-start working) misled us into looking at the battery / electrical system. Anyway I hope the issue does not recur again.

Couple items the mechanic asked to do was :
1) Get the accelerator cable changed - they were not able to source a spare.
2) Get the front tyre changed - wear at one side. Wonder why such wear ?
Old 16th May 2016, 16:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I guess I spoke too early. After the spark-plug change and service, things were OK for few weeks, after which the issue recurred - once when my wife was riding and couple of times with me.

Issue sequence as below :
1) You are riding along and suddenly the engine dies. Just like that.
2) You try the electric-starter and engine does not come to life.
3) Try the kick-start, engine comes on, but will die immediately.

After this, what I do is revv the engine with brakes pressed and ride back home. If I reduce the accelerator input, it feels like the engine will again switch off. Not only is it counter-productive to revv & brake at the same time, it is bad riding.

In contrast, what my wife says she does in such a situation is : Kick start the bike, ride slowly (without revving the engine) & limp back home. Will try this & see the next time the bike dies.

The odd thing is that there is no knowing when this issue will happen. And no way to replicate it for the mechanic.

For a bike that is just a few years old and done only about 10K kms, it's a pain to see such issues. In contrast, my CD-100 was trouble-free for so many years, needing only an engine-oil change every 3K kms. Nothing like the Japs when it comes to a reliable and trouble-free experience.
Hi SB,

Were you able to identify the issue? I am facing a similar problem.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3974981
Old 18th May 2016, 10:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

In my case, it was the carburettor (details in the post just before yours in this thread). Once cleaned and air-filter also cleaned, the issue was gone. IN the 7+ months since then, we have not had any issues.

To me, it looks like the same could be the cause in your case too.
Old 26th September 2019, 10:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

The Pep+ has a new issue with the electric-start. While sometimes the electric-start works perfectly at first try, at other times it seems to groan (as if battery weak) and rest of the time there is no response at all (as if battery doesn't even exist).

Since the battery was around 4years old, I assumed it's a battery issue (wrong assumption) and got a new battery put in. But the issue remained as earlier. A mechanic I showed the bike to, said that it is the starter motor (relay works fine, he said).

Options :
1) Put in a new starter motor - costs Rs1500 or so.
2) He says the motor can be repaired for around Rs400 - can know only on opening it up.

I am confused. I don't want to spend 400 and then have the issue pop up again, in which case I would rather payRs1100 more for a new starter to have peace of mind.

I am the one who uses the bike most and personally don't miss the electric-start as I use kick-start. But on the rare occasions that wifey uses the bike, the unpredictability pisses her off. Also, the bike that starts at the first kick when I use it, refuses to start when she kick starts it.

Expert opinion please on which route to follow for starter motor - repair or replace ?
Old 26th September 2019, 12:27   #36

Quote:
The Pep+ has a new issue with the electric-start.
===
Expert opinion please on which route to follow for starter motor - repair or replace ?
Hi SB,
I faced similar issue last month on my wife's Hero Maestro. Service center guy told me to replace the starter motor, but my FNG guy just serviced the starter motor and haven't faced the issue since. Took hardly an hour and 250 bucks to get the starter motor running correctly . However do note that my Maestro is 1 yr old only so same may not be applicable to your TVS pep+
Arfaat_46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 13:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I am confused. I don't want to spend 400 and then have the issue pop up again, in which case I would rather payRs1100 more for a new starter to have peace of mind.
The mechanic tried servicing the starter motor, but apparently it is beyond servicability. So, that confusion over and what I need to do is buy a new starter motor.

Checked with Cochin TVS at Vyttilla and they quoted 2415/- for the Pep's starter motor. The mechanic had mentioned around the 1500 range. Guess I need to buy it from an auto-parts shop or better a TVS Genuine Parts store (though TVS website isn't helpful in pointing to the nearest store).
Old 27th November 2019, 10:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Checked with Cochin TVS at Vyttilla and they quoted 2415/- for the Pep's starter motor. The mechanic had mentioned around the 1500 range. Guess I need to buy it from an auto-parts shop or better a TVS Genuine Parts store (though TVS website isn't helpful in pointing to the nearest store).
Got a Varroc (Pune) brand starter motor for Rs1300 - my mechanic says it is good.
http://varroc.com/businesses/electri...rter-motors-/?

Amazon lists a Nikavi brand starter motor for Rs1200

Also changing the handle lock and under-seat storage lock - got a set for around Rs400 - TVS GP.
With use, the key has become loose and falls off the ignition and there is also some contact issue that makes starting erratic.

Have given the bike to the mechanic and hope to get by evening. With these rpairs done, the bike should be wife-friendly.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th November 2019 at 10:35.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 18:37   #39
BHPian

Hi folks.
Ours is a 2010 pep plus with 16.5K kms on the odo. Not much ridden in the last 5 years. I started using it extensively after working full time from home. I am also experiencing a similar problem like an occasional jerk / misfire and reduction in power. Took it to the TVS service at our locality. After a test drive the service advisor suggested that I run the vehicle for 3-5 litres of petrol with petrol additive called Add-On sold in the petrol pump. On scooters parked for long time the consistency of fuel changes and creates carbon deposits on the head it seems. And this Add on may help, he said. So filled 2L of petrol and 1 packet add on. Hoping that the problem gets solved.

Meanwhile I bought a Jupiter for my wife and have been feeling comfortable with the pass dipper switch. Missed this feature on the Pep plus. So bought a dipper switch of Jupiter and installed it in the Pep plus. Attached pictures and video for reference.

Attached Thumbnails
TVS Scooty Pep+: Occasionally not starting & accelerating-img20210228wa0067.jpg  

TVS Scooty Pep+: Occasionally not starting & accelerating-img20210228wa0071.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 13:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a Varroc (Pune) brand starter motor for Rs1300 - my mechanic says it is good.
http://varroc.com/businesses/electri...rter-motors-/?
Just an update : After a year+ of installing the new Varroc starter motor, electric start has been working fine without issues.

Few weeks ago, instead of my usual ride (CBR250), I took the Pep+ for my 100km weekly ride to my parent's home. The moment I got on the highway, I regretted it, since the speedo indicated maxSpeed of 60kmph (redline marked after that) was so slow to put one to sleep and girls on Activas overtaking me like crazy.

Since there was no turning back, I slowly increased the speed to 70 & then 80kmph - while engine noise increased, it did carry on. Once during an overtaking manouvre, even hit 90.

Anyway, no more highway use for the Pep+ - only local runarounds.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 12:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just an update : After a year+ of installing the new Varroc starter motor, electric start has been working fine without issues.
6 months after I posted this (1.5 years of putting in a new starter motor), it's back to button-start not working again.
Need to get it checked by the mechanic - for now using kick starter.
Old 25th January 2022, 13:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6 months after I posted this (1.5 years of putting in a new starter motor), it's back to button-start not working again. Need to get it checked by the mechanic - for now using kick starter.
2 weeks ago while at the mechanic to get the oil changed, I told him about button-start not working. He tried it and voila it's working.
And to think I was kick starting the bike for last few months.

Since then button-start has been working fine, but again yesterday it didn't work when I was going out. On the return trip it worked fine.
I have no clue why this erratic behaviour. The battery is new & the lock-set was also changed a year ago.

Quote:
Anyway, no more highway use for the Pep+ - only local runarounds.
Though I had woved to not take the Pep+ on highways, due to the CBR250 not being available, few months ago one weekend I had to take it.
The onward 100kms ride was fine, though boring. On return, just 8kms from home (on the Kundannoor bridge),
the engine switches off (which in an auto-gear bike isn't a good omen).
Name:  ScootyOnAuto.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  85.5 KB

No amount of kicking or button-start helps. And since it is too far to push at noon, I load it on an Auto and get it home.
I am thinking that I damaged the engine by over-working it on the highways, but it was just the plug-holder gone bad.
On replacing it (Rs150 including labour), bike was back to normal. Just posting here incase anyone faces a similar issue.
Name:  PlugHolder.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  92.6 KB

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 25th January 2022 at 13:14.
supremeBaleno is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 13:34   #43
BHPian

At the risk of hijacking this thread (apologies), our Scooty's rear brake light isn't lighting up when braking, but works when the headlight is turned on. Our nearby motorcycle mechanic couldn't figure it out, so I wanted to see if I could do something about it DIY.

Help is much appreciated!
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 11:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2 weeks ago while at the mechanic to get the oil changed, I told him about button-start not working. He tried it and voila it's working.
And to think I was kick starting the bike for last few months.

Since then button-start has been working fine, but again yesterday it didn't work when I was going out. On the return trip it worked fine.
I have no clue why this erratic behaviour. The battery is new & the lock-set was also changed a year ago.
And then button-start totally stopped working for last month & more. Which was an issue for wifey when she takes the bike. And while I usually use kick-start, I missed button-start when at timered-signals.

Took the bike to the mechanic who diagnosed it to the starter-relay gone bad.
New relay : ₹312 (OTC from Cochin TVS)
Labour : ₹100
TVS Scooty Pep+: Occasionally not starting & accelerating-100f75b4ee9a4c97b27698b21741a3fb.jpeg

Be it our 2000 ScootyES or this 2010 ScootyPep+, there have been so many niggles/issues even in initial ownership period that the overall ownership experience with TVS has been a pain.

Not sure how their newer scooters are, but I don't think I will be considering them for the next purchase.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks