Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 12:48   #1
BHPian

Side Car for the Royal Enfield

I have been thinking of upgrading to a modern motorcycle for a while now. I looked at various options. The KTM 390 will be for sure something I will consider any day for the city, but do I need such a fast motorcycle in the city, well not really, but the power that thing delivers is quite addictive and unreal for a single cylinder engine. Then it was the Ninja, brilliant twin cylinder engine and probably is the best looking of all 250's and 300 but I am a not a big fan of motorcycles with fairings, I love to see them raw and naked (bikes for now ;D)

Then by pure accident, I had a chance to test ride the Suzuki Inazuma 250cc. I have to say that Suzuki could have done a lot better with the styling of this thing but otherwise, it is the best motorcycles in terms of overall build quality and refinement in its class. It gave me the comfort of my Royal Enfield and the refinement and handling capabilities of a modern motorcycle and was such a pleasure to ride it. Mind you, I wasn't looking for a "0-100-in-3-seconds-kinda-motorcycle" as my riding style is totally different. The Suzuki was almost finalized.

I put the Enfield on sale and waited for someone to turn up and 30 minutes after I told my mechanic someone turned up. We finalized the price and he paid me a token advance too. I don't know what was going on in my mind, I just couldn't sleep. I felt like a father trying to get his daughter married the next day to someone he didn't like. The next morning I came downstairs to the parking lot, I just hugged my bike and I promised it wasn't going anywhere. I rang up the guy told apologized that I am not in a position to sell it right now, paid his token advance back and before I did, he tried by raising his offer by another 10k more. I told him that it wasn't about the money but I seriously can't let go of it. So the Bullet will go with me to my grave probably, who knows?

Thanks to joblessness in my office, I had a chance to see Jay Leno's Garage channel on Youtube and I was astonished by what he was talking about a Royal Enfield and how much fun it is to ride it with a side car. It was like someone had lit a million candles inside my head and I want to do it!! It was like all of a sudden someone gave me a new lease of life. I am now looking at an option where I could enjoy motorcycling with my family which includes my wife and my 5 year old daughter. I am quite excited by the idea. Can someone help me with where I could buy it in Bangalore and is it a good idea? Sorry about the long story.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 13:14   #2
BHPian

re: Side Car for the Royal Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
I have been thinking of upgrading to a modern motorcycle for a while now. I looked at various options. The KTM 390 will be for sure something I will consider any day for the city, but do I need such a fast motorcycle in the city, well not really, but the power that thing delivers is quite addictive and unreal for a single cylinder engine. Then it was the Ninja, brilliant twin cylinder engine and probably is the best looking of all 250's and 300 but I am a not a big fan of motorcycles with fairings, I love to see them raw and naked (bikes for now ;D)

Then by pure accident, I had a chance to test ride the Suzuki Inazuma 250cc. I have to say that Suzuki could have done a lot better with the styling of this thing but otherwise, it is the best motorcycles in terms of overall build quality and refinement in its class. It gave me the comfort of my Royal Enfield and the refinement and handling capabilities of a modern motorcycle and was such a pleasure to ride it. Mind you, I wasn't looking for a "0-100-in-3-seconds-kinda-motorcycle" as my riding style is totally different. The Suzuki was almost finalized.

I put the Enfield on sale and waited for someone to turn up and 30 minutes after I told my mechanic someone turned up. We finalized the price and he paid me a token advance too. I don't know what was going on in my mind, I just couldn't sleep. I felt like a father trying to get his daughter married the next day to someone he didn't like. The next morning I came downstairs to the parking lot, I just hugged my bike and I promised it wasn't going anywhere. I rang up the guy told apologized that I am not in a position to sell it right now, paid his token advance back and before I did, he tried by raising his offer by another 10k more. I told him that it wasn't about the money but I seriously can't let go of it. So the Bullet will go with me to my grave probably, who knows?

Thanks to joblessness in my office, I had a chance to see Jay Leno's Garage channel on Youtube and I was astonished by what he was talking about a Royal Enfield and how much fun it is to ride it with a side car. It was like someone had lit a million candles inside my head and I want to do it!! It was like all of a sudden someone gave me a new lease of life. I am now looking at an option where I could enjoy motorcycling with my family which includes my wife and my 5 year old daughter. I am quite excited by the idea. Can someone help me with where I could buy it in Bangalore and is it a good idea? Sorry about the long story.

We share the same story except for the fact that I sold my Bullet and I am regretting my decision till date, everyday.

I am in the same dilemma of buying a bigger bike, with the same agreement that Suzuki Inazuma is the best choice considering that I also do not want a 0-60 in x seconds bike but something that is refined, classy, can be a tourer as well as a city bike, can be a long term possession and without the DNA of a sports bike.

Currently I am holding on to my Yamaha Rx as there are a lot of exciting bikes due for launch in a year or so.

How I wish I wouldn't have sold my bullet

Regarding your sidecar infatuation, its no doubt unique and amusing as these are rare and also in a way vivid, but sir the handling is really difficult and you have to get used to it. My friend had installed the sidecar here in Mumbai but after just 1 year he was irritated. The handle wobbles a lot and there is a fine tact to it.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 14:07   #3
BHPian

[quote=ron_9191;3509871]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
We share the same story except for the fact that I sold my Bullet and I am regretting my decision till date, everyday.
Looks like there are lots of people who share same sad story, good that you woke up at right time and saved your Bullet. Unfortunately I lost my bullet in the urge of more powerful bike.

Answer for your question is here, from the same video you mentioned. Try to contact the company directly.

Side Car for the Royal Enfield-side-car.jpg
Thar4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 14:40   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post

I am in the same dilemma of buying a bigger bike, with the same agreement that Suzuki Inazuma is the best choice considering that I also do not want a 0-60 in x seconds bike but something that is refined, classy, can be a tourer as well as a city bike, can be a long term possession and without the DNA of a sports bike.

Currently I am holding on to my Yamaha Rx as there are a lot of exciting bikes due for launch in a year or so.

How I wish I wouldn't have sold my bullet

Regarding your sidecar infatuation, its no doubt unique and amusing as these are rare and also in a way vivid, but sir the handling is really difficult and you have to get used to it. My friend had installed the sidecar here in Mumbai but after just 1 year he was irritated. The handle wobbles a lot and there is a fine tact to it.
Thanks a lot for sharing your views here. The reason I thought it will be a nice idea to talk to my fellow BHPians was simply because I didn't want to take a decision at the spur of the moment. And I don't really know what is so special about the Bullet after 9 years of thumping. It is quite an experience, sometimes beautiful and sometimes boy oh boy a proper pain in the neck and may be elsewhere too.

May be with the extra weight and an extra wheel, it must ride quite similar to an uncontrollable tuk tuk
Old 20th August 2014, 14:46   #5
BHPian

[quote=Thar4x4;3509967]
Quote:

Looks like there are lots of people who share same sad story, good that you woke up at right time and saved your Bullet. Unfortunately I lost my bullet in the urge of more powerful bike.

Answer for your question is here, from the same video you mentioned. Try to contact the company directly.

Attachment 1276386
So now you have a powerful bike but you still dream about the good old bullet you sold. That is some weird and mysterious behavior all of us Bullet nuts live with, isn't it?

By the way, I did notice that in the video and checked their website. Their site looked like one of those that was made when Moses split the red sea. I was wondering whether anyone knew a stockist in Bangalore. But I think I shall rather go with your suggestion and contact them. Cheerio
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 14:56   #6
BHPian

[quote=ron_9191;3510031]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post

So now you have a powerful bike but you still dream about the good old bullet you sold. That is some weird and mysterious behavior all of us Bullet nuts live with, isn't it?
No. Now I am bikeless . Lots of things changed, I sold by STD 350 CI and booked C5 in Ocean green, cancelled that booking and purchased Mahindra Thar CRDe. Used it for 1.3 yrs but didn't got connected to it so sold and now have a family SUV Safari.

So I am again in market looking for freedom (read bike) and as we say "Once bullet always bullet", heart is pulling towards C5 as STD 350 CI is history now.

Lets see how it goes.
Old 20th August 2014, 15:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Cozy sidecars are nearly as legendary as the Bullet itself. Being sold at exorbitant prices abroad in the UK to Bullet buffs. If you want one, best go to the source directly and cut out thee middle man/dollar/pound/euro.

Speaking of tuk tuk's, the additional weight of the sidecar will ensure that your rear sproket and chains last a quarter of their current life. Best option would be to get those hardened heavy duty ones made and sold in Gujarat for their chakdas.

Last edited by ebonho : 20th August 2014 at 15:11.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 15:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I have been thinking of upgrading to a modern motorcycle for a while now. I looked at various options. The KTM 390 will be for sure something I will consider any day for the city, but do I need such a fast motorcycle in the ........................................I am quite excited by the idea. Can someone help me with where I could buy it in Bangalore and is it a good idea? Sorry about the long story.
It defenitely is a unique proposition but don't forget the fact that you are going to need a lot of 'getting used to' to be able to ride that thing properly.

In essence a side-car motor cycle is a three wheeler with just one wheel drive!

So, since in most cases the side car is fitted to the right side of the bike, turning the thing involves some technique.

In-order to turn right you will have to accelerate since the left rear wheel (driven wheel) will have to turn faster than the right side wheel (side-car wheel) to do this.

And to turn left you need to use the rear brakes as it needs to be turning slower than the side-car's wheel to complete the manoeuvre.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 15:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Most famous side-car-ed bike - the Russian Ural

Suppposedly indestructible!

Side Car for the Royal Enfield-1.jpg

P.S. That's one way to take the "undriven" rear wheel out of the equation!

Last edited by ebonho : 20th August 2014 at 15:52.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 15:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

These are 2WD . Not sure of the one in the picture. The other Russian makes have a shaft connected to the sidecar wheel connecting the rear wheel of the motorcycle.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 16:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1276397

P.S. That's one way to take the "undriven" rear wheel out of the equation!
That would work....only if you are turning 'left' all the time . Oh and also your better half might throw up on you

P.s Urals are far away from being indestructible. check what they have to say about it on advrider.com

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 20th August 2014 at 16:09.
Old 20th August 2014, 16:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Oh and also your better half might throw up on you
Better half?

Most Bullet boys are looking at this photo longingly and saying "aaah nice place to plonk a spare engine and a barrel of engine oil while on tour"

Old 20th August 2014, 16:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, Side Cars are no longer permitted by the RTO, and hence the exorbitant pricing on the old one's which are registered.
Else you would see a lot of bikes with Side cars and the entire family on it (which some manage somehow without the sidecar as well)

Should you plonk a side car, be ready to be stopped at every nook and corner by the traffic police, because you cannot register it.
Old 20th August 2014, 16:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Better half?

Most Bullet boys are looking at this photo longingly and saying "aaah nice place to plonk a spare engine and a barrel of engine oil while on tour"

Believe it or not, that is the same kind of 'unofficial' marketing used to sell the side-car Urals over its 2-wheeled versions

Q: Why is a side car Ural better than a Ural Solo?
A: Coz you'll need the side-car to keep all the spares you'd need to keep it running.
Old 20th August 2014, 17:29   #15
the-mechanic

Quote:
I don't know what was going on in my mind, I just couldn't sleep. I felt like a father trying to get his daughter married the next day to someone he didn't like. The next morning I came downstairs to the parking lot, I just hugged my bike and I promised it wasn't going anywhere. I rang up the guy told apologized that I am not in a position to sell it right now, paid his token advance back and before I did, he tried by raising his offer by another 10k more. I told him that it wasn't about the money but I seriously can't let go of it. So the Bullet will go with me to my grave probably, who knows?
You should be really proud of yourself. This makes one a real biker, not doing wheelies without helmets. As said above, the Urals with the sidecars were really great. But I was thinking you should go one step further. Now that you have a new bike for you daily use, get your Bullet customized. Get a sidecar fit, get the vehicle dynamics changed to be suited for the sidecar or simply get a detachable contraption made. Plus with a custom Bullet, you can have something unique and something that is more 'you'.

Just a new paint job can do wonders if not customizing completely.
Check out the one by Good Spark Garage:
Attached Thumbnails
Side Car for the Royal Enfield-1.jpg  

Side Car for the Royal Enfield-2.jpg  

(1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks