Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 21:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Booking and delivery of the bike

Thank you all for your kind words gentlemen. I am in the middle of a week long holiday and was planning on heading back to Bangalore early to give my bike to the service center to get the gearbox checked. As fate would have it, I met a gentleman from the St Marys Royal Enfield showroom (in Cochin) today evening and I was talking to him about the Continental GT. When I started explaining the problem with the gearbox he himself asked me if it refuses to shift from first to neutral when the bike it is on but easily shifts when it is off.

I said yes and he told me that it is a known problem with this model. When customers complain about it, they inform the head office here in Cochin and they in turn inform the company folks who might then send someone to look into it. No known solution from Royal Enfield yet! He also mentioned something about the SVC folks needing to take two days to resolve any issue with the Continental GT because every complaint is a new problem given that all of them have not been given training on this bike. I lost track of what he said after that because I was busy picking my jaw up from the floor....

One point which I forgot to mention in my last post was that the SVC folks told me that there was a noise coming from the front forks when the front brake was applied (though they could find no wrong with the front disc) which should not happen on a brand new (4 day old) bike. They adjusted the front forks and tightened them. I think Royal Enfield should rename the process PPDI - Partial Pre Delivery Inspection!

I plan on adding the pillion seat and footpegs at the first service. Earlier I was told this would cost Rs 3500 all inclusive. Last week I was told the seat is Rs 4000 and the footpegs are Rs 600 each which brings it to a round total of Rs 5200. The gentleman from St Marys Royal Enfield confirmed that it costs the same here in Cochin as well. I was planning on getting saddle bags and I was told that the ones from dirtsack are being used by someone in Cochin without any issue on his dual seat Continental GT. This is the product I am referring to. http://www.dirtsack.in/products/long...ts/saddle-bags
I probably will pick this up once I get the dual seats put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Congrats on purchasing the top bike from RE, Neil.

Although there are other members with the Conti on the forum, yours is the first review and please do keep it updated.

The yellow is a very rare color on the GT, all the ones I have seen on roads(a handful) a red. The best part being that the yellow is not a bad yellow, it suits the bike perfectly and carries it of.

I have been eying the GT for months now. I had done a couple of test rides. Hated the sound, but loved the way it moved for a RE. It was a perfect upgrade from my 96' 500. Hopefully, I will join you soon.

I had the same dilemma as you. The D390, Inazuma , TB500 and the Conti. Being a RE crack, it was the TB500 (mind) and Conti(heart) .
But like you had the Ducati , I have the Ninja 300

It is sad that there still niggles , especially on a more export oriented bike like the GT. Regarding the gear not falling to first, did you check the clutch lever adjustment?From what the Service Center said, I am guessing it is a result of the plates not fitted in well. It is a small job.

Enjoy the bike and ride safe.
Thank you tharian. As you can see the gearbox issue is a well known design characteristic (sounds so much better than flaw) and I guess I will have to live with it until RE can figure out a solution. The shade of yellow really suits this bike and I would be hard pressed to name another Indian bike that can pull it off. As for the sound, there is an alternate exhaust that is available for sale for Rs 4000 IIRC. The gentleman from St Marys RE told me that there isnt too much of a perceptible difference in power but it does sound a whole lot better. Maybe that can be on your shopping list when you buy your Continental GT. Note I didnt say if you buy your Continental GT .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Wonderful write up and nice to see a ownership experience of the new Continental GT. Its indeed a really stunning looking bike from RE.

Ride safe and wish you many many miles of enjoyable motoring
Thank you Haroon, I have always enjoyed your knowledge filled educative posts that have helped me learn so much about biking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Neil: Thank you for a most excellent write-up.

The front brake dragging is not normal for the CGT or any other vehicle. It must be fixed by the RE mechanics. (I would explain the process but you indicated you are not mechanically inclined).

The most likely cause is the brake fluid has been overfilled and this excess fluid is causing the brake pads to rub on the disk.
There is really no adjustment that can be done on a disk brake but bleeding the system to remove any excess fluid should repair the problem.
As this problem can happen with the rear disk brake too, ask them to check the fluid level on that master cylinder while they are repairing the front disk brake.

As for not being able to shift the transmission into neutral when the motorcycle is stopped, that is most likely due to the clutch not fully releasing when the clutch lever is pulled in to the max.
Looking at the clutch lever from the front of the bike, apply a small amount of pressure to the lever. Just enough to cause it to remove the slop in the system.

In this position, you should see a gap between the lever where the cable is installed to the fixed portion of the brake lever. The gap should be about 2 to 3 mm.
If it is greater than this, you have found the problem.
The mechanics should be able to easily adjust the cable to set the gap in just a few minutes.

If the gap is 2-3mm (or less) the problem is most likely with the clutch plates inside the engine.
In this case, the RE mechanics will have to remove the left hand side cover and replace the defective parts.

Jim
Thank you Jim, I was hoping my thread would catch your eye as I knew that I would get a technical perspective on the issues I was facing. The folks at the SVC did spend a lot of time adjusting the clutch play when I went there but they weren't able to resolve the issue. The gearbox headache seems to be a known gremlin though I will get the brakes bled soon. I will definitely get the gearbox opened and checked during the first service but if RE cannot provide a solution I do not expect the folks at the SVC to be able to work miracles. I will write to the higher ups in RE though voicing my concerns after the first service. I will keep this thread updated with any and all technical solutions from RE (even if I dont really understand them!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Neil,

Congratualtion on the new CGT and really liked the style of your writing.

For a Cafe racer configuration, what you need is "Bar End RVMs". Get a set at the earliest and your pain in this area will be taken care of.

For your info, the CGT is going great guns in UK. I was told by some one associated with the UK distributor of RE, that they are selling more that 20 units every month in UK. I guess the nostalgia notwithstanding, the bike must be more reliable than the others and hence the off take.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks Ram! I have been following your posts with the Bonnie and they really have been informative and helpful for potential Triumph owners as well as for guys like me who hopefully will be in a position to make a decision on buying a big bike somewhere down the line. The bar end RVMs look smashing indeed but in the real world I do not think they will be a very practical solution. I am most worried about office parking lots where carelessness in bikers is the norm rather than the exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Congrats Neil!First full length review of the Conti here on t-bhp.Eagerly awaiting your long term riding impressions.

Excellent write up.Enjoyed the read.The bit on braking behaviour of old Enfields struck home for me.I lean slightly towards the front aswell.

In that picture of 3 Contis,the one on the far left has a different tailamp.Is that an available accessory?

As you said,in the looks department,definitely it is one good lookin motorcycle.Initially I was a bit disappointed since they really didn't up the ante(read twin) in the power department.I suppose that is something that may take a long time to change.

I'm curious,did you spot the Conti first at the showroom on Chittoor road?I've only seen one so far here in Cochin(Red).
Thanks B O V, and here I thought I had eagle eyes! I must say I am impressed that you caught the tail lamp, I missed it and unfortunately do not know anything about it. Yes, it was the Chittoor road showroom. I believe there is one at Edapally as well (before you hit the signal when you come from Aluva) IIRC which seems to be the head office though I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Neil, congratulations on the Continental GT. It's indeed a looker. I was terribly impressed by their video advertisment which was really lovely

Great write up too. Look forward to more pictures of your bike

Ram, its a bullet and whatever you do RVM will always remain a fashion accessory after 60kmph and for some maximum till 80kmph

My bullet's RVM becomes completely hazy post 60kmph and will just indicate there is someone in it without giving any clue about distance and sometimes you cannot even make out if its a 2 wheeler or 4 wheeler in the mirror
Thanks mobike008. I am a big fan of your Bonnie thread, keep the good posts flowing. I agree on the RVMs, at times its looks as if the Batmobile is chasing me while at other times all I see is oval shaped flying saucers. Enough to make one feel that they are an extra on a sci fi flick!

Last edited by neil.jericho : 9th September 2014 at 21:45. Reason: More information added
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 16:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)

Congrats on your purchase Neil! The yellow suits the bike to the T and stands out on the streets. There is one in Indiranagar and I cannot stop myself from gaping at it when its parked around. Awesome write up too putting everything that matters in your post! Wish you many more miles with the bike and hope the niggles/issues get sorted out soon!
Old 10th September 2014, 17:26   #18
BHPian

What a stunner. And you tease us with 2 pics ?! This thread deserves to be littered with pictures, spread some sunshine
Old 10th September 2014, 19:18   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats on your purchase Neil! The yellow suits the bike to the T and stands out on the streets. There is one in Indiranagar and I cannot stop myself from gaping at it when its parked around. Awesome write up too putting everything that matters in your post! Wish you many more miles with the bike and hope the niggles/issues get sorted out soon!
Ten thousand thundering typhoons! There's someone else with a yellow GT in Bangalore??? I'm just kidding, thanks abhinav.s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
What a stunner. And you tease us with 2 pics ?! This thread deserves to be littered with pictures, spread some sunshine
Great handle! As the old saying goes - Ask and you shall receive. I did not have the opportunity to click proper photos before I left for my vacation but rest assured it is something that I will address once I return. Till then I hope these will suffice.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-medium.jpg
Lovely wreath

Honestly this reminds me of Juilius Caesar from the evergreen Asterix comics.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-m2.jpg
Here is what 5'11" me looks like astride the Continental GT. Ok so maybe you guys just wanted to see the bike and not me but in my (admittedly feeble ) defence I thought I could demonstrate how the bike looks with an above average height rider on board. Eagle eyed readers (hint hint cough cough B O V cough) will note the fogging up of the visor of my new HJC helmet. What's that I hear the angry mob shouting? "More pics of the bike only!!!". Ouch, tough crowd!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-m7.jpg

The dual seat that everyone talks about but few have actually spotted. It does appear to be comfortable enough but I need to figure out how to attach a rear grab handle. Suggestions are most welcome!

And now for an introduction to what I call How To Make A Beautiful Bike The Talk Of Your Town.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-virago3-medium.jpg
Smashing!

I'm not sure if the bike will be able to pull off this paint scheme with a dual seat. Thoughts are most welcome!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-m3.jpg
Even more smashing!

Well if I had found this before booking my bike, I probably would have booked the red instead and immediately gone in for this paint scheme. Hubba hubba, what a looker!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 21:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Honestly this reminds me of Juilius Caesar from the evergreen Asterix comics.

Quote:
Here is what 5'11" me looks like astride the Continental GT.
Dude, you compliment the bike perfectly.
I am wondering with my 6+ frame , when I get the Conti and ride it, probably I will end up with a slouch before I actually get one due to old age.

Quote:
The dual seat that everyone talks about but few have actually spotted. It does appear to be comfortable enough but I need to figure out how to attach a rear grab handle. Suggestions are most welcome!
Fit one only if it is required that bad, it will spoil the look.

Quote:
Well if I had found this before booking my bike, I probably would have booked the red instead and immediately gone in for this paint scheme. Hubba hubba, what a looker!
Total looker.
Well, with the yellow , you can make the Bumblebee version on two wheels.

Also , do you think the Bangalore guys have any idea on the exhaust you were talking about? Is it a RE sold one. I rather go for that than investing on the double seat.

Yes, all this 'when' I get the bike.
Old 11th September 2014, 00:46   #21
BHPian

Congrats on the new wheels, Neil !
The Conti looks good on you, no wait - you look good on the Conti

From a revvy R-15 to a thumper ? Big change in riding style, how are you finding the difference. BTW, what tyres are those, they don't look like MRFs that RE is using of late ?
Old 11th September 2014, 01:45   #22
BHPian

To tell you the truth I was wondering what make of helmet that was and since my net connection is as fabulous as it is,I first read the bit about the teaser picture and then the pictures started loading up.A very excited me looks up to the 2nd picture to see you hogging away all the glory

Nice to see that you're lookin at customising your ride already.Check out bikeexif too,has a lot of amazing customs.Will we see the first true custom Conti here on t-bhp?(Unless Tharian beats you to it ofcourse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
What tyres are those..
The Conti's got itself a pair of Pirelli Sport Demons(Even the name reeks of awesomeness,No?)

Yes even I'm curious about its thumper nature.If I'm right they've reduced the crank weight,There's isn't any significant difference in the bore*stroke dimensions either.Hows it feel in comparision to other RE's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
when I get the Conti and ride it, probably I will end up with a slouch before I actually get one due to old age
Seems like you're pretty much set on the Conti eh.Will we be seeing a stable mate for the 500

Neil,If you are ever in Cochin with your motorcycle.Lets meet up.Would love to see Ze Captiaine.
Old 11th September 2014, 11:42   #23

Thank You very much for a very detailed write-up on RE CGT. The peace of mind while owning a R15 Vs RE is the repeated visits to the Service centre or later to a renowned Bullet mechanic, which is inevitable. Was awaiting such a review which is more towards ownership than initial review. Please update this at a later stage of ownership. The RE ownership is more based on emotional than practical but this RE is practical too with higher quality materials used. I own a RE Electra UCE and have spent a bomb to make it go like one. Happy Owning a RE!!! Thank You again.

Do consider the bar end mirrors and guess the grab handles can be custom made and brought up from the seat metal.
Old 11th September 2014, 15:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The Ugly

1. The Gearb(L)ox - Within five minutes of taking possession of my bike, I pulled up to a large signal and tried to shift from first to neutral. Except for the new found pain in my toe nothing happened. Strange I said to myself. At the next signal, the exact same thing repeated itself. In stop go traffic the gearb(L)ox (get it?) obstinately refuses to shift into neutral.
Sigh! All part of the Royal Enfield ownership experience I keep telling myself.....

My TB500 has a mind of it's own while shifting from 3rd to 4th. I have exactly the same thoughts... all part of the RE ownership experience
AvinashKeezh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 21:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will we see the first true custom Conti here on t-bhp?(Unless Tharian beats you to it ofcourse)
I am telling myself to not replace one stock part on the bike since I have a tendency to do that on my bikes and car. Yes, but the exhaust will go for the one Neil has told me about. I don't think I can live with that fluttering exhaust note on a 535!

Quote:
Seems like you're pretty much set on the Conti eh.Will we be seeing a stable mate for the 500
Yes, I am! But the wait , due to reasons, is killing .
The 500 will have to go, the Conti will be giving company to my lakh run Electra. It would be two ends of RE's engine portfolio . One being the 350 Cast Iron, the slowest and the UCE 535, the fastest.
Old 12th September 2014, 12:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Saw this yellow GT today near Indiranagar KTM.

Saw the sissy bar and thought i'd post it here since it looked pretty decent and you could get one done like it.

P.S. Hope it is actually not your bike!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-_20140912_123622.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 12th September 2014 at 12:55.
Old 12th September 2014, 13:32   #27
BHPian

Congrats Neil, Captain just looks so cool in this shade of Yellow. Just a suggestion from my side, you should get a open face helmet instead of the HJC. Throw in a vintage goggle and it completes the cafe racer look. What say ?
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-caferacer.jpg  

Old 12th September 2014, 14:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The SVC guys have said they need to open it up to see what is wrong with the gearb(l)ox.Or was there a PDI in the first place?
I doubt if there is any kind of mechanical pdi a Royal Enfield showroom would do. If the paints good and nothing appears broken, its a pass.

I would wait before opening up that gearbox. Let all the mechanical bits loosen up a bit. Everything is tight right now. You've done like <500km I guess. Even when the bike goes in for scheduled inspection, don't adjust anything unless absolutely necessary.

As a temporary solution, trying getting into neutral before the bike comes to a full stop. I have found this the easiest way on not only the old school right shift Enfields but even the new one's.
Old 12th September 2014, 15:12   #29
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2014 at 15:37.
ramvenky74 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th September 2014, 15:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
...I would wait before opening up that gearbox. Let all the mechanical bits loosen up a bit. Everything is tight right now. You've done like <500km I guess. Even when the bike goes in for scheduled inspection, don't adjust anything unless absolutely necessary....
Very sane advice and agree totally with this. Not just RE but it applies to most vehicles. Just hold back until you clock in more kms and then see if it is really necessary to tinker around with the gearbox. You would not want the mechanics to try something and introduce new / more complicated issues. Rather best to wait and let the mechanical bits settle down.

Most Viewed