Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2018, 14:10   #451
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)

Glad that your GT didn't suffer due to the heavy rains. One of my friend's Classic 500 was completely submerged in Chengannur and is now wondering what to do with the bike. The sad part is, he is in Dubai and is unsure whether to wait for his next trip back home or to ask his dad to get the mess cleaned and work with the SVC to sort any issues.

Anyway, which is the new bike you kept referring to? I'm not sure if you already posted about it on this thread or as a separate thread on the forum. Well, congratulations on your latest acquisition.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 16:51   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Glad that your GT didn't suffer due to the heavy rains. One of my friend's Classic 500 was completely submerged in Chengannur and is now wondering what to do with the bike. The sad part is, he is in Dubai and is unsure whether to wait for his next trip back home or to ask his dad to get the mess cleaned and work with the SVC to sort any issues.
Hi R-Six, I was at my auto consultant's office today to hand over the paperwork for the transfer of ownership for my new acquisition. There was another customer there who had come for renewal of insurance and my auto consultant was telling him that he should not have got his vehicle towed to the nearby garage and paid for it to get fixed. Instead he should have contacted his insurance agent (or company) immediately as they would have quickly sent the surveyors. Apparently the Central government has given a directive to the insurance companies to focus on these flood relief claims and clear them quickly. The insurance companies have also sent additional surveyors from other territories (I assume states) to assist in the inspections and clearance of claims. I would suggest your friend gets in contact with the insurance company first and then work out the logistics of getting it fixed by Royal Enfield.

While we are on the topic, I should also mention that when my brother's Thunderbird faced problems and the fuses kept blowing off, he got in touch with the company service center for their road side assistance. They were unable to send their mechanics to where my brother was because their bikes were out to assist with the flood relief operations. Also, when they took his bike to identify the problem, they only charged him for the two fuses (which needed to be replaced) and did not charge for any other labour. So thumbs up to Royal Enfield on both counts!

Quote:
Anyway, which is the new bike you kept referring to? I'm not sure if you already posted about it on this thread or as a separate thread on the forum. Well, congratulations on your latest acquisition.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
My previous post was the first time that I had mentioned about it on the forum. I had picked up the bike before the floods hit Kerala so I havent done any riding on it except for the 200 kms it took to get the beauty home. Lets just say it goes like an arrow and it isnt green
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 16:57   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I would suggest your friend gets in contact with the insurance company first and then work out the logistics of getting it fixed by Royal Enfield.
Thanks for the reminder! I did read about it online but I'm sure my friend would have gone through those as just another forward related to rescue operations or any flood-related notices.

Quote:
Lets just say it goes like an arrow and it isnt green

On another note, since you have now relocated to Cochin, maybe we can plan a ride/drive together when I'm in Kerela next time.

Last edited by R-Six : 28th August 2018 at 17:00.
Old 23rd October 2018, 14:30   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

4 years up!

Somehow I totally forgot that the Continental GT ownership has crossed 4 wonderful, and yes occasionally extremely frustrating, but nonetheless memorable years. Its been an integral part of getting me back into the mindset where I thoroughly enjoy motorcycling once again after a hiatus of a few years. Every time my thoughts divert towards the idea of a silver Interceptor 650, my better half reminds me that either the GT or the Triple need to go. And there is no way that I am parting with the either of them. 4 years down and many more years to go, you faithful friend.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p4200008.jpg

With 2 motorcycles in the garage, it is becoming increasingly difficult to give sufficient time to the Continental GT though I hope things can improve in the coming months. I still havent got round to getting the bike serviced, Im sure the dealership has the front disc in stock by now. Neither have I got the Pirellis shod onto the bike. Maybe Ill get some time mid November.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p4200035.jpg

With my irregular usage of the motorcycle, kick starting it is the only way to bring the bike to life. I think Ive finally perfected the art of kick starting a Continental GT
1. Use riding boots, the strong sole makes a huge difference compared to trying to kick start it while wearing a pair of sneakers or even worse slippers.
2. Be prepared for 20 plus attempts. At least.
3. Kick it like you mean it. Gentle kick starts dont work. Neither do half hearted ones. I think Im going to give it a go kicks wont succeed either. You have to really kick it with full force, especially in the last 20% of movement. That brings the bike to life easily.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181011_181121_50.jpg

I was quite interested to read in the latest issue of Fast Bikes India that the two wheeler industry is moving towards the World Motorcycle Test Cycle (WMTC) for fuel efficiency claims from the earlier system enforced by ARAI which had sky high claims that nobody could ever achieve. The WMTC has taken into consideration the fact that Indian conditions are different from the standard referenced ones in Japan, USA and Europe and has revised to test cycle to incorporate this. The reported mileage of the Royal Enfield 350cc engine (in the Classic, Bullet and Thuderbird) is 40.8 kmpl. The Himalayan with its 411 cc engine has a claimed WMTC mileage of 37.3 kmpl and the Bullet and Classic 500s have a claimed mileage of 35.8 kmpl. The Continental GT with its 535cc engine comes in last in the Royal Enfield stable with a mileage of 33.6 kmpl. In comparison, Ive averaged 27.5 kmpl since day 1. Not too bad.

Insurance Renewal
I had renewed the Continental GTs insurance through the online aggregator Coverfox. I opted for a higher IDV of Rs 1,24,108 than what was recommended. The one year policy from United India Insurance Company came to Rs 3,393. The no claim bonus resulted in a 45% saving of Rs 410 and the personal accident cover was only Rs 50 as compared to the Rs 750 that it has since become. GST added up to Rs 518.

Quote:
On another note, since you have now relocated to Cochin, maybe we can plan a ride/drive together when I'm in Kerela next time.
Sure thing buddy!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 15:37   #455
BHPian

Re: 4 years up!

Quote:
20 kicks!! That is like a proper workout for your calf muscles.

Even with the daily running, even I have to depend on the kick-start almost every day. But my GT starts in the 2nd or 3rd kick.

And congratulations on the Triple!
Old 23rd October 2018, 23:44   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

With my irregular usage of the motorcycle, kick starting it is the only way to bring the bike to life. I think Ive finally perfected the art of kick starting a Continental GT
1. Use riding boots, the strong sole makes a huge difference compared to trying to kick start it while wearing a pair of sneakers or even worse slippers.
3. Kick it like you mean it. Gentle kick starts dont work. Neither do half hearted ones. I think Im going to give it a go kicks wont succeed either. You have to really kick it with full force, especially in the last 20% of movement. That brings the bike to life easily.
I'll admit I haven't let my Royal Enfield sit for months before starting it but 20 kicks to get your GT started sounds a bit excessive.

I fully agree that a strong, full kick is needed to get a RE started but I can usually get mine fired up with only two or three kicks.

Here is the method I use.

• Swing the kickstarter lever out.

• Pull in the clutch lever to release the clutch and then push the kickstarter lever down to break the plates loose from one another. It should move freely. Then, release the clutch lever.

• Turn the ignition key on and let the fuel pump run until it stops. This usually takes less than six seconds.

• Move the Bi-Start lever on the left handlebar fully down until it stops and hold it in this position.

• Do not rotate the throttle grip at all.

• Push the kickstarter lever down until hard resistance is felt. Then, continue to push it down until it suddenly gets easier to push.

• Allow the kickstarter to return to the top of its stroke.

• Give a strong downward kick to the lever applying full force all the way to the bottom of its stroke.

The engine will usually start on the first kick but if it doesn't, allow the kickstarter lever to return to the top of its stroke and give it another strong kick.

If the motorcycle has been ridden within the last 10 hours, the breaking the clutch plates loose part of the above does not have to be done. It is really only needed if the motorcycle has sit overnight.

Give it a try next time you want to start your motorcycle engine and see if it doesn't reduce the number of kicks from 20 to 2 or 3.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 23rd October 2018 at 23:47.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 19:03   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

I was quite pleased to see this SMS today. Time to get my GT serviced!

!!ATTN RIDER!!Get complimentary vehicle check-up, 50% off on all labour,15% off on all parts & a lot more only @ the Royal Enfield <<CONTINENTAL GT>> service camp from 08-Nov>> to <<14-Nov,18>>.To locate your nearest service center visit <<https://goo.gl/fQUANc>>.T&C apply.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of pictures from the last time I took the bike out for a spin.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181027_114323.jpeg
Total odo reading : 22,183 kms

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181027_114425.jpeg

Quote:
20 kicks!! That is like a proper workout for your calf muscles.
No gym on the days I have to start and use the GT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Give it a try next time you want to start your motorcycle engine and see if it doesn't reduce the number of kicks from 20 to 2 or 3.
Thats exactly the process I follow each time ArizonaJim but its still the same every time. I put down the effort required to the battery which may not be the best in quality. Exide, the manufacturer, isnt known to be the most reliable or long lasting in both the two wheeler and four wheeler battery markets in India.
Old 8th November 2018, 16:58   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Living with 2 bikes

As I had written about recently, the dream of having a multi motorcycle garage came true a few months ago. But the joys of having to choose between two bike keys for a weekend ride is sullied by the fact that I cannot do justice to both motorcycles in terms of clocking sufficient kilometers. So understandably, the Continental GT has seen little to no action recently. However, now that I have done over a 1000 kms of riding on the Triumph Street Triple 675, with half of it being highway riding and the rest in peak city commuting, I have a fair picture of what it does well and more importantly to this thread, how well the Continental GT stacks up against it. So here are my views on these two motorcycles based on my riding experience and expectations (needless to say, your mileage may wary or YMMV)

- Looks
Extremely subjective topic this. The GT in yellow is still quite a looker after all these years and most people still dont know that Royal Enfield launched (and subsequently discontinued!) this offering. I still get the occasional question from a young rider at a traffic signal on the GT and the invariable thumbs up. The Triple in comparison is black in colour and in a parking lot filled with Splendors and Pulsars blends in better than a chameleon on a Nat Geo documentary. Honestly, nobody gives it a second look which is fantastic for me as I can safely ride it around town without attracting any attention whatsoever.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20180524_105747.jpg

- Sound
Lets all just admit it, how a motorcycle sounds is integral to the overall ownership experience and on this front the GT disappoints. So often I have slowed down and stopped at a signal to realize that I can hear every other motorcycle around me but not my GT! On open highways, yes it does sound good but I do keep thinking to myself, if only Royal Enfield had engineered the bike to make a bit more sound. The Street Triple sounds glorious, twist the wrist on an open highway and if you don't get goosebumps, you are on the wrong forum!

- In city riding
The two motorcycles require completely different approaches to riding through a city like Cochin. The GT makes more than enough power for pottering around slowly as well as quickly weaving through the mean streets of Cochin. The power output means you get to work through the gears and enjoy the motorcycling experience without having to worry about being careless with the throttle as it is a forgiving bike. The Triple in contrast can (and usually will) be ridden in a single gear, almost like an automatic scooter. Third gear city riding often means the revs are too low so constant second gear riding is where I often find myself. Yes, it takes away some of the fun of riding a motorcycle through light and heavy city traffic. Im sure the irony is hard to digest!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20180519_085028.jpg

- Highway riding
Speeds above 100 kmph where possible safely on our Indian highways, are hard work for the Continental GT and result in a slight character inducing buzz. On shorter rides of say 250 kms, I prefer pushing the GT at higher highway speeds and am happy to accept the tradeoff of higher vibrations. Over a day long ride, I prefer to keep speeds at around 100 - 110 kmph which strikes a good balance between maintaining good speeds while not tiring myself out in the process. The Triple is a monster (no pun intended) on the open roads and the way in which it swallows up our Indian highways (if they are in good condition) is astounding. I always wanted a 1000cc motorcycle in my garage but my extended time with the Triple has made me realize the error of my ways. Middleweight motorcycles that I have ridden like the CBR650F, the Z900, the Ninja 650, the Street Triple 675 / 765 are the best perfect match of real Indian conditions usability and paisa vasoolness (value of money in Indian speak). I would probably add the Ninja 1000, V STrom and V650 into the mix as well but I havent ridden any of them to date.

- Mileage
Now to the make or break part of vehicle ownership in the average Indian buyer's mind. As documented on this ownership thread, the Continental GT has given me an average mileage of 27.5 kmpl over the last 4 years of ownership. That's a number that I am happy with. The Triumph is comparison has given me an average mileage of 19.53 kmpl against an expected figure of 20kmpl. So no complaints there as well.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-img_9104.jpg

- Pillion comfort
The Home Minister used to find the Continental GTs pillion seating comfortable but the vibes were what ruined it for her at the end of a say 200 km slow ride. On the Triple, the seating position is a lot more squished (smaller seat area, less padding, higher pegs) but the experience is vastly better since there are no vibrations.

- Service experience
I know a lot of Royal Enfield Continental GT owners feel that the costs of some spares are unreasonably higher than what it is for offerings from other RE bikes. Im not averse to the pricing of their spares and the service experience in Bangalore has been quite good. When I do get the bike serviced in Cochin next week, the bill amount will be high because of the front disc replacement. I havent serviced the Triumph yet, so inputs here.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20180519_085001.jpg

- Living with the bike
One of the biggest pet peeves of Continental GT owners is that the OEM Pirelli Sport Demons were prone to cracks and though many owners got their tires replaced under warranty, in several cases the cracks appeared after the warranty got over. Given that there are scant tire options in 18', GT owners have been a bit shortchanged in this regards. That said, the cost of replacing a set of tires is very reasonable. In comparison, replacing a set of tires on the Street Triple will cost you ~ Rs 9,000 for the front and Rs 18,000 for the rear. So thats Rs 27,000 just for a set of tires! A pair of Ceats on a Continental GT will probably last as long as 2 - 3 sets of tires on a Triple as well. Im not sure how the cost of other consumables like chain set etc compare at this stage.

Keeping aside the monumental differences in purchase price and servicing costs, the biggest difference between the 2 bikes for riding in our Indian conditions, that I have experienced is how they have to be treated on not so good roads. Throw some broken roads, good roads filled with speed breakers and the occassional bumps and potholes at the GT and you dont even have to worry about anything. The GT just takes it all in its stride and you can merrily ride through without a worry in the world. At worst, you will end up with a bent spoke or two that can be easily rectified in the next service. On the Street Triple, I need to carefully slow down before the above mentioned speedbreakers, bumps and potholes as Im worried about damaging the alloys and grounding the bike for a few weeks at worst. Maybe all the discussions on bent alloys over at the Street Triple owners whatsapp group has me worried too much but it certainly does play on my mind a lot. Ive checked with fellow Bhpian man_of_steel and even he too has the same ownership experience. I have lost count of the number of times that I have overtaken people on Activas and commuter cycles when the roads open up a bit and then have had to watch them overtake me with looks of puzzlement as I tiptoe my way around the bad parts of Kerala roads!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181028_100243_hdr.jpg
If only all roads were this smooth

Obviously this isnt a direct comparison between the two bikes and so this isnt about which bike is better or the winner. These are really good bikes that provide two vastly different riding experiences. But living with the GT and a bigger bike like the 100 HP Street Triple, has made me appreciate the Continental GT for the bike that it is (coupled with the relatively affordable cost of ownership) and made me intent on keeping it in my garage for many more years to come.

What it has also done, is made me even more eager to check out the Royal Enfield 650 twins as they are the perfect bridge between the lower output motorcycles and the mid segment offerings from international players but without the wallet busting cost of purchase and ownership. Just like the wonderful KTM Duke 390, I feel the Royal Enfield 650s will democratize affordable power to the Indian market. The Interceptor 650 should be a wonderful motorcycle to tour the country on. I might have a few months on my hands next year to realize my dream of a cross country ride. Ive been looking forward to doing it on the Continental GT, however the Interceptor 650 should be a far better touring companion but the Home Minister isnt going to easily approve it's purchase. Sigh! How about lending me the keys to one for a while, Royal Enfield?
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 14:47   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

New shoes and all set for its service

Due to work commitments, I was unable to use the Continental GT for a period of 2 weeks and boy oh boy, did it make me pay for it by throwing a massive temper tantrum and refusing to start. I stopped counting after my 20th kick start attempt but after it made me work up a nice little sweat (hey, its good for my cardio I keep telling myself), it finally decided to play nice. After a calm little spin around town, I took the bike for a fuel top up after what seemed like a long long time. The tire pressures were in need of correction as well.

Mileage: I have definitely done a top up in the last couple of months but I guess I have forgotten to record it. Nonetheless, I always reset the odometer A every time I do a top up so I know the figures of this mileage update are correct. Distance covered : 120.6 kms. Petrol consumed : 5.03 litres. Mileage: 23.98 kmpl. Mileage since day 1 stands at 27.47 kmpl.

Changing the Tires
The fact that the OEM Pirelli Sport Demon tires are not widely available is a well established fact. When occasional batches of tires did get imported, prices were a little steep as well. Throw in the short life span of the PSDs with the infamous tire cuts and its no surprise that a lot of Continental GT owners moved to Ceats, MRF, Ralcos etc. In my 22,000 kms of riding my GT, I have found that the Ceat options were a very worth alternative to the PSDs providing long life with good grip levels. However, I had planned a cross country bike trip earlier this year and I wanted to have the grippiest tires on the GT for it. You never know when a recalcitrant truck driver or a whatsapp obsessed teenager puts your life in danger and you are forced to call on your tires and the Gods above to save you from a trip to the hospital.

Prices for each tire hovered at around the Rs 5,000 mark when I had checked in the summer. Amazon though had the tires available for a lot less though they werent from the latest stock. Given that I was planning to run through this set with the cross country ride, I wasnt too bothered as I would end up replacing them soon enough. After purchasing the tires, I was quite surprised to find that almost all the tires stores here in Cochin were not willing to fit them onto the Continental GT as they all felt that the effort was too much. And so much to the chagrin of my better half, the tires were lying around my place until I finally got some time yesterday to get them changed.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181112_155140_hdr_800x600.jpg

There was a small tire replacement shop right next to where I stay and they agreed to change both tires and the corresponding tubes (which I had purchased separately) for a tidy sum of Rs 160. They were very curious as to why I wanted to change two perfectly good tires! Now usually, the front tire is removed while the bike is on the centre stand, the tube and tire are changed and the tire is fitted back. Then the process is repeated for the rear tire. This time however, things were done a little differently as there was only one guy working and the other chap who was bringing in my PSD tires got delayed. So in the interest of time, both wheels were removed simultaneouly. My heart was in my mouth for quite a while but I eventually realized that the bike was stable and this was how they did things around here.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181112_155604_hdr_800x600.jpg
Incredible photoshop work or bravery award winning stuff? You decide!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181112_161730_hdr_1_800x600.jpg
Heart firmly entrenched in mouth

They pointed out the inner side of tubes of both old tires had some noticeable marks on them which are from the pressure exerted on them by the spokes. So they cut up an old tube that fits an Activa and used it as a rubber band on the inside of the wheel to spread the pressure from the spoke joints. Heaven knows whether it works or not but if it makes a difference Ill be happy. Eventually the guy managed to get the tires fitted and I paid him a grand total of Rs 200 for a job well done. Though there is a ton of life left in the old tires, I left them in the shop as my next plan for the Continental GT involves fitting 17 inch alloys with much stickier rubber on them. Feedback from a GT owner on our whatapp group who has sampled this setup has been very positive indeed.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181112_161545_hdr_800x600.jpg
Meanwhile, today I have dropped the GT for service at the company service centre in Edapally, Cochin. The service camp for the GT ends tomorrow and I wanted to make use of the 50% labour discount and 15% parts discount, especially since I am replacing the front disc this time.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 15:55   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Review - Ceat Vertigo Sport and Ceat Zoom Plus

Now that I am back to the Pirelli Sport Demons at the front and rear, I wanted to capture the usage of the Ceats that I had on. Do note that this is for my riding style where I might push the bike into triple digit speeds on wide open highways but otherwise Im a fairly safe and steady rider. No crazy zipping, swerving and zooming through fast moving traffic for me. Im too old (and hence sensible?) for that.

1. Ceat Vertigo Sport (100 / 90 - 18)
I had purchased this front tire for Rs 2350 back in October 2015 when the front PSD developed a massive cut and Royal Enfield took over 3 months to source a replacement under warranty. At that time, I had done around 2,250 kms on the tire with no real complaints. I never took the bike to the track with this tire though. After getting the replacement PSD, this went into the storage and resurfaced in December 2017 when the PSD needed to be retired. Since then, the bike has done another 2500 kms or so. All in all, we are looking at around 5000 kms of usage and I cannot say that the tire has let me down even once. And it honestly looks like it could take another 15-20 thousand kms of usage without a second thought. It looks the business and the tread looks like it has hardly worn out. If I were to scrambler-ize the GT instead of looking for super grippy and sporty tires, the Vertigo Sport would be my first choice.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181112_155210_hdr_800x600.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181112_155225_hdr_800x600.jpg

2. Ceat Zoom Plus (120 / 80 - 18)
I purchased this in December 2017 and so the usage of 2500 kms matches the second phase of the Vertigo Sport's usage. I liked this tire just as I did the previous Vertigo Zoom rear tire. It has good consistent grip and really deep treads. I wouldnt wait for the tires to start wearing out too much before replacing them, the treads are so deep that tread wear as the only indicator of remaining life can be lighly misleading for sure! I feel the profile is a lot more rounded than its predecessor, the Vertigo Zoom though I cannot honestly claim to have felt any difference in real life usage. I did notice what appears to be some tiny cuts on it here and there but those seem to be related to regular wear and tear and are only superficial in nature.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181112_161608_hdr_800x600.jpg

While I was getting the tires swapped out yesterday, I was just checking the different options that were available and I was quite interested to see this option in the 120/80 - 18 specification for the rear. Since the 130/70-18 is hard to procure, most owners have migrated to the 120/80-18 options and this Metro (Continental) Conti Exceeder tire seems to be a new entrant. The branding on the paper stickers says Metro though Continental is clearly seen on the tire profile. The tire looks really broad and Im sure it will find favour with the RE faithful. The store didnt have the price details handy for the tire though, Ill try to find out in the coming days.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181112_154820_hdr_800x600.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181112_154826_hdr_800x600.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181112_154838_hdr_800x600.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181112_154901_hdr_1_800x600.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 21:10   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Too good to last !

From the time that I purchased the Continental GT, I've faced a ton of questions on the quality of Royal Enfield's service centres (SVC henceforth) with most people expecting that my ownership would be a horror filled roller coaster experience mirroring that of most others. But over 4 years in Bangalore, I've had positive service experiences with Royal Enfield's company SVC in Madiwala and a franchisee SVC in Koramangala. When I owned a Bajaj Pulsar and then later a Yamaha R15, I stopped going to the company SVCs due to the lack of attention to the work done and moved to private FNGs as soon as the warranty period expired. Not so with Royal Enfield.

Last Tuesday (13th Nov, exactly one week ago) I dropped my bike at the RE company SVC in Edapally without a prior service booking as I wanted to make full use of the 15% parts discount and 50% labour discount offer. St Marys Motors on Chitoor Road is a lot closer to where I stay but given my track record with company SVCs in Bangalore, I decided to go to the SVC in Edapally instead. Since I had not taken a prior appointment, I was told that the bike would not be delivered the same day, as priority would be given for those who had made bookings which is a very fair system. I was asked to wait in the air conditioned waiting room for a while before the service advisor (SA henceforth) was allocated. I asked for the following parts to be replaced
- Front right indicator. Some one or some vehicle has knocked it which meant it wasnt sitting flush as it should.
- Front right foot peg. Some moving vehicle has knocked it as a result of which some part the end of the foot peg has broken off.
- Front disc. Replacing the front disc pads hasnt resulted in the improvements in braking that I was looking for. So it was time to replace the front disc.
- Side stand spring. About time.

The SA confirmed that RE doesnt accept oil carried in from outside, even if its the same specification as what the company recommends. So its their Liquid Gun engine oil or nothing if you get the bike serviced at a RE SVC. I asked the SA to order one oil filter and hand it over to me at the time of collecting my bike so I could get the oil changed outside at a FNG, which he agreed to. The SA said that it might take a couple of days to get the bike serviced which was fine by me. He tried checking if the front disc was in stock but due to some technical snafu, he wasnt able to but I told him to take a few more days if necessary, but to get the front disc changed now itself. Once I reached home and checked the owners manual, I found that the front fork oil is also recommended for a change at this service. So I called up the SA and asked him to get that changed and also to not do a chain clean and lube as I do it myself at home. I thought the bike would get ready by Saturday but being a hartal (heavens know why we are blessed with so many), that obviously didnt happen. Not hearing from the SA even after that, I made a call on the 19th (Monday) and the SA informed me that the bike was ready and we agreed that I will pick it up today at 11:00 AM.

Today (20th November) after reaching the SVC at the scheduled time, the same SA was walking me through the list of parts replaced when we found that the side stand was also replaced. Now this certainly was puzzling to me as it was only the side stand spring which had broken (apparently its a well known problem with the GTs) and there was no need to replace the side stand as well. I asked the SA to find out from the mechanic / technician as to why he did that and the explanation given to me was that the bike wasnt tilted at a correct angle with the new spring put it. Now this certainly didnt make any sense to me and we went to check the old side stand with the new one by placing them side by side. There certainly didnt appear to be any visual differences so there was no new design element in the replacement side stand. So if there was a difference in how the bike was standing, it had to do with the spring and not the stand.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181120_112712_hdr_800x600.jpg
Looks exactly like the old one

The SA agreed to revert back to the old side stand as he too didnt seem convinced with the explanation of the bike not tilting as expected with the new spring in. I was in a terrible hurry and already quite unhappy that they hadnt even informed me about this additional change which was a clear miss from the SA. Anyways, I asked them to wheel the bike in and quickly remove the side stand and replace it with the old one.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20181120_113357_hdr_800x600.jpg
Kerala loves white cars and black Royal Enfields

I was keeping a close eye on the work done and I could see that the mechanic / technician was pointing out something on the rear disc to my SA. Eventually the SA came and informed me that the cable / hose connected to the rear disc was rubbing against the disc (probably the inadvertent work of the tire change guy) and had caused a small leak onto the rear disc which in turn made the rear disc braking soggy. I was quite livid and couldnt believe that they had not even spotted this while servicing the bike which was with them for a week! Anyways, not wanting to lose more time, I asked them to change it at their own pace and keep it ready for tomorrow. As a goodwill measure, they will bill me this cable / hose with the same 15% discount though the camp has effectively ended. A couple of hours later, the SA called me to inform me that the required part is not in stock but they have contacted the RE SVC in Kottayam (another district in Kerala) which will send it to them overnight. Ive asked them to take their time and get the job done properly as Im not in a rush to get the bike.

Net net, there was no status update on delivery or on additional parts changed which was very disappointing. And I lost time (a few hours total) and money (two Ola rides). And to make things worse their company service missed what could have led to a dangerous situation, thank goodness they blundered in changing the side stand and I didnt head out with a non functioning rear brake (admittedly one I use very less). But they are going out of their way to ship the part in at the earliest and charging it to me at the lower amount. They have clawed back some small goodwill but it looks as though the positive after sales service experience party was too good to last .

P.S - While I was on the way to the SVC, I returned a call from that I had missed earlier in the day. It was a lady from the RE company SVC in Bangalore who was checking if I was going to bring my bike in for service as it had been several months since I had last given my bike for service. She was keen to understand if I had moved out of the RE SVCs and the reasons for the same. I informed her that I have moved out of Bangalore and incidentally was on the way to pick up my bike. I felt happy to see RE reaching out to customers and trying to retain them in the coverage of company SVCs. Little did I know what awaited my after I got to the Edapally SVC!
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:50   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Too good to last !

Quote:
I was keeping a close eye on the work done and I could see that the mechanic / technician was pointing out something on the rear disc to my SA. Eventually the SA came and informed me that the cable / hose connected to the rear disc was rubbing against the disc (probably the inadvertent work of the tire change guy) and had caused a small leak onto the rear disc which in turn made the rear disc braking soggy. I was quite livid and couldnt believe that they had not even spotted this while servicing the bike which was with them for a week! Anyways, not wanting to lose more time, I asked them to change it at their own pace and keep it ready for tomorrow. As a goodwill measure, they will bill me this cable / hose with the same 15% discount though the camp has effectively ended. A couple of hours later, the SA called me to inform me that the required part is not in stock but they have contacted the RE SVC in Kottayam (another district in Kerala) which will send it to them overnight. Ive asked them to take their time and get the job done properly as Im not in a rush to get the bike.
The company SVC has received the cable / tube that is connected to the rear disc and Ive been informed that it costs something in the Rs 2000+ price range (isnt that a little excessive?). The brake fluid top up will cost around Rs 100. Both will be covered under the 15% discount. Ive given them the thumbs up to proceed with the replacement.
Old 22nd November 2018, 17:55   #463
BANNED

Re: Too good to last !

Quote:
The company SVC has received the cable / tube that is connected to the rear disc and Ive been informed that it costs something in the Rs 2000+ price range (isnt that a little excessive?). The brake fluid top up will cost around Rs 100. Both will be covered under the 15% discount. Ive given them the thumbs up to proceed with the replacement.
Daylight Robbery, but it's cool if you're fine with it.

The 15% discount brings to mind Prithvi's dialogue from the movie 'Indian Rupee'.
Old 25th November 2018, 10:39   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking back at 4 years of Continental GT ownership - Part 1

Having completed 4 years of ownership of the Continental GT 535 (I should start getting used to adding the suffix 535, now that there is the GT650 in town), I felt now was as good a time as any for looking back at the different rides that I have been on. A handful of them were solo rides but predominantly, they were with fellow TBhpians, many of who have gone on to become very good friends of mine. So in chronological order, these are some new pictures from the archives.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2014-1.jpg
The Royal Enfield company store in Jayanagar, Bangalore was where I first saw the Continental GT in person.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2014-2.jpg
Looks smashing in red. Mama mia!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015-15-8.jpg
One of the early rides with a fellow TBhpian, this time to Krishnagiri dam.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015-2-10.jpg
Taken at one of the many hairpin bends en route to Kolli hills with TBhpian man_of_steel and his friends. My goodness, what a ride.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015_4_11_800x600.jpg
On the way back from anchetty with fellow TBhpians and some friends. No prizes for guessing which TBhpian is trying to go up, up and away.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015_5_14_800x600.jpg
Breakfast at Yelagiri.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015_6_15_800x600.jpg
Hairpin bend stop on the way to Yercaud. Another amazing ride.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015_7_15_800x600.jpg
On the way back from a solo ride to Nandi Hills.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015_9_15_800x600.jpg
At the TBhp headquarters of DD hills.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015_10_17_800x600.jpg
Stuck at a level crossing! Who knew this was still a thing?

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015_11_17_800x600.jpg
Taken on the return leg of another trip to DD hills.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015_12_17_800x600.jpg
The Continental GT cuts a lonely figure on a Tamil Nadu state highway.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2016_2_19_800x600.jpg
Lunch break en route to Kotagiri. We had a tough time finding sufficient parking slots for all the bikes.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2016_3_22_800x600.jpg
Lovely group ride with an overnight stay at a resort in Kotagiri.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2016_4_22_800x600.jpg
While returning from Yercaud. Solo ride.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2016-4-24.jpg
Breakfast at Vijayapura. Those dosas were heavenly indeed.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2016_feb_anchetty_800x600.jpg
With a fellow TBhpian on the Anchetty loop. This was a lot of fun.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2016_800x600.jpg
Clicked by our resident doc.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 12:38   #465
BHPian

Hey Neil, I think I spotted Captain. We waved at each other, a while back at Kalamassery, hope it's you (yellow KA regn GT535, Shark helmet were the giveaways).

I was returning home from Aluva side and first saw you somewhere near Companypady. Although I have seen your posts in the biking threads (esp for having the R15 avatar), I didn't knew you had a GT535 until recently when I randomly came across this ownership thread. Nice to see a detailed and regularly updated thread, though I'm yet to read it completely.

I had got a chance to test ride the GT when it was launched and loved it. It was very unlike a regular RE. I'm yet to see the twins though, thought of going to the showroom after the initial rush is over.
BigBrad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed