Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2015, 22:14   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)

With all my procrastination regarding my plan of doing the thick stripe down the middle flanked by two thin stripes, I found that my bike had a small but visible dent on the right side (you can see it in my last post) courtesy the construction workers / tractors at my office.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-tank.jpg
Initial Plan

I realized it probably makes more sense to instead go for a thick side stripe (that will cover the dent) with the RE logo on top of it with a thin stripe below. Any recommendations on good places to get it done in Bangalore?

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-side-blue.jpg
Revised Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Not on the Indian online stores mind you, doubt autoqueen would have it. Do they have custom parts normally?

At first I tried gettin the parts through ebay us, well I never recieved those parts. So I'll be gettin it though my friends from europe/us.

Simplying your rear would have been the easiest thing had we just had the parts available here. Smaller round taillamp and small blinkers attached to the rear shocks should do the trick. But they aren't available as far as I know.
I checked with them today, they dont stock the full rear LED set. They did have some nice headlight rings (dont know what they are called) that cost Rs 750 each.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-ring2-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-ring2-2.jpg
This I quite liked

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015306190441-medium.jpg

They had three options for bar end mirrors. This one costs Rs 1350.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-barend1.jpg

These cost Rs 2600 for not too noticeable a difference in quality.
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-bar-end2.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015306190738-medium.jpg

Not a big fan of the square set but to each his own.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 19:25   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Screwy ending

After nearly two weeks of me being away, I was surprised to find that the bike started at the second attempt with no kick starting required. Annoyingly though the twin pods were vibrating all day and upon reaching home in the evening I peeked through the wires to find that one screw was really loose and about to fall off (the one marked in yellow) and another one had already said adios amigos and made his departure (empty hole marked in orange though not too visible).

Its the second screw that has decided enough is enough and its time for a change (unfortunately nobody is going to get that reference), the other one being the solitary screw that held the RE logo in place on the right side of the engine. And here I thought some of these build issues were addressed once and for all when RE shifted to the new plant. Sigh! All part of the RE experience I keep telling myself ....

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-screw-medium.jpg
Sigh!
Old 19th March 2015, 18:22   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

6 month service done

Having missed the 6 month / 6K service date since I was out of town, I headed to the company SVC today and was 32nd in queue despite being there by 08:45. The issues I listed were
1. The cicada noise from the front
2. A squeaking noise from the rear
3. The rattling console (the darn screw I tightened myself yest had fallen off by the time I reached the SVC!)
4. Overall vibrations

I had carried 3 cans of the Motul 4T 5100 15W50 engine oil which is the same one that I used at the last change. As usual I decided to wait around to get the bike which was ready by 11:30. Since it was really dirty, I decided to wait for the bike wash which took another hour on account of the long queue. The sales and service head of Karnataka was present so they were a little more careful today though some lee way was given to the staff as India's batting came to a close.

Here's the bike all set for the long wait to get washed.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015319112559-medium.jpg

Billing took 15 minutes and I test rode to bike to find that all the complaints had been taken care of.

Total labour : Rs 100
Service tax : Rs 12.36

Oil Filter : Rs 81.22 + Rs 11.78 (VAT) = Rs 93
Hex Screws M6*25 (two of them) : Rs 5.24 + Rs 1.52 (VAT) = Rs 12

Total bill : Rs 112.36 (labour) + Rs 105 (parts) = Rs 217

The speedo console had two new screws and the cicada noise had gone. No squeaking from the rear either. I happily filled in the feedback form and was about to leave when I realised the engine was quickly shutting off while idling. It also wasnt starting properly.

The hooked it up to a desktop (I believe it was the same software they showed me earlier which they said they used for remapping) and the bike went back in and was returned it 15 minutes later after checking it and identifying a 'loose connection'. The bike feels quite smooth now and overall a good experience with the SVC.

Unrelatedly, I was checking the bikes on which they were doing PDIs for the company showroom. Most of them were Classics, they certainly do have a winner with that model. There was just one regular Bullet and one Electra going for delivery. There was also a Bullet with a short exhaust and man, was it deafeningly loud. I'm glad my ears dont have to take that noise anymore. ENT doctors should ride around town with that if they want more patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
If they actually put 2.75 liters of oil in it I'm sure it is overfilled.

Yes, I know the Owners Manual says it holds that much but I believe the manual is in error.
This time the returned bottle had 700 ml in it which means it took in 2.3 litres only. Check the difference in levels between this time and last time. Maybe they finally figured they didnt need to pour in that much.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-engine-oil.jpg

Last edited by neil.jericho : 19th March 2015 at 18:25. Reason: Where did the attachments go?
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 09:17   #154
Senior - BHPian

Excellent reviews. I recently bought a cl 500 dessert storm. Wanted to go for the CGT but my wifey didnt approve it. Still, I don't regret buying the DS after all.
I just noticed that your bike has done 6K and you have started using 5100 which if I am not wrong is semisynthetic. Does it by anyway void the warranty since RE is using the crappy HP liquid Gun engine oil. I had used the 5100 in my 220 and was quite happy with the performance. How is the bike performing? How is it as compared to the liquid gun?
As per my knowledge svcs normally don't entertain customers bringing their own engine oil citing the reason "Oil needs to be purchased from SVC only for the sake of entry in the records". I wont be surprised if RE does not honor warranty because of the above said issue.
Old 21st March 2015, 01:21   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure how the Owners Manual for the new Royal Enfields in India reads, but the Owners Manual that came with my 2011 G5 Deluxe (Electra style 500cc fuel injected UCE) in the USA says I should use:

" 15 W 50 API SL Grade
JASO MA, ESTER-Semi Synthetic oil"

Although I can fully understand a dealer and his service department wanting to sell the oil they market, if the Indian Owners Manual reads like mine does, I can't believe Royal Enfield would honor his voiding the warranty if the new oil meets the factory requirements. Notice, the required oil does not mention a brand name. Only the technical requirements of the oil.

Perhaps one of you owners of a fairly new Royal Enfield can tell me what your Owners Manual says?

While on the subject I will mention that any full synthetic that meets the RE recommended oil will be equal to or better than the semi synthetic oil.

I say that with the warning that the oil being used was designed specifically for 4 cycle motorcycles.
Oils designed for 2 cycle engines or which lack the JASO requirements should not be used in the Royal Enfield UCE under any circumstances.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 21st March 2015 at 01:22.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 08:23   #156
J.Ravi

Quote:
Notice, the required oil does not mention a brand name. Only the technical requirements of the oil.
In India, the brand is also clearly mentioned in the 'recommended lubricants'.

Quote:
Perhaps one of you owners of a fairly new Royal Enfield can tell me what your Owners Manual says?
From the owner's manual of Thunderbird 500:

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-oil1.jpg

From the owner's manual of Classic 500:

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-oil2.jpg
  (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 19:02   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

RE build quality scare

We had quite the scare on our ride today morning which you can read all about here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3668261 The problem was simple enough, the two screws under the seat of the Bullet 350 (incorrectly mentioned as Bullet 500 in my post) that were holding the rear mudguard in place fell off. On a 3 month old bike that is unacceptable. The rider said that they had just crossed a small bump (that wasnt big enough that I noticed it) and after that the tyre just locked up. If that is all it takes to dislodge a screw or two then RE really need to do something about their build quality and more importantly, PDIs. Its not like their bikes are bargain basement offerings that can justify screws falling off and potentially endangering the life of riders. Minus the mudguard, the rear tyre did look quite skinny as well considering it is a heavy bike.

Anyways I have asked the owner to write to RE to let them know about the problem. In an urban setting, the same tyre lock up would have definitely caused an unavoidable accident.

Given that this is a Continental GT thread, here are some pictures from today's ride.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-morning-medium.jpg
man_of_steel's trademark lid

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-price-twins-medium.jpg
Pricing twins that are a thorn in each other's side (OK so the thorns are blurred in the foreground)

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-offroad-medium.jpg
Offroading aint it's true calling

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-solo-medium.jpg
Yellow fever

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-bullet-twins-medium.jpg
Screw this!

While we did grab most of the local eyeballs in sleepy little Anchetty, there were some like the gentleman below who didn't really seem bothered whatsoever.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-nb.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Excellent reviews. I recently bought a cl 500 dessert storm. Wanted to go for the CGT but my wifey didnt approve it. Still, I don't regret buying the DS after all.
I just noticed that your bike has done 6K and you have started using 5100 which if I am not wrong is semisynthetic. Does it by anyway void the warranty since RE is using the crappy HP liquid Gun engine oil. I had used the 5100 in my 220 and was quite happy with the performance. How is the bike performing? How is it as compared to the liquid gun?
As per my knowledge svcs normally don't entertain customers bringing their own engine oil citing the reason "Oil needs to be purchased from SVC only for the sake of entry in the records". I wont be surprised if RE does not honor warranty because of the above said issue.
Congratulations on the Desert Storm, rakesh_r. I used the semi synthetic Motul 5100 at the last service as well and the SVC didnt have any issues with it whatsoever. Definitely recommended over the regular engine oil they would put in otherwise.

Quote:

While on the subject I will mention that any full synthetic that meets the RE recommended oil will be equal to or better than the semi synthetic oil.
Here's what is given in the Continental GT owners manual.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-engine-oil.jpg

When I had gone to pick up the engine oil, I initially asked for the fully synthetic offering from Motul (great experience with it on my R15) but based on the feedback from the RE SVC and owners, I was told by the dealer that it doesnt make sense to spend the extra money on a fully synthetic oil for the RE. I would love to hear from fellow RE owners who have tried it out though.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 19:38   #158
Senior - BHPian

Re: RE build quality scare

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

When I had gone to pick up the engine oil, I initially asked for the fully synthetic offering from Motul (great experience with it on my R15) but based on the feedback from the RE SVC and owners, I was told by the dealer that it doesnt make sense to spend the extra money on a fully synthetic oil for the RE. I would love to hear from fellow RE owners who have tried it out though.
After I began using Motul 300V on my LB500, there was a perceptible increase in smoothness. Once I began running a free flow exhaust and a pod filter, the big single became even smoother. To illustrate, I used to do about a ton in third and the vibrations never bothered me.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 22:52   #159
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: RE build quality scare

Quote:
We had quite the scare on our ride today morning...

The problem was simple enough, the two screws under the seat of the Bullet 350 (incorrectly mentioned as Bullet 500 in my post) that were holding the rear mudguard in place fell off. On a 3 month old bike that is unacceptable. The rider said that they had just crossed a small bump (that wasnt big enough that I noticed it) and after that the tyre just locked up. If that is all it takes to dislodge a screw or two then RE really need to do something about their build quality and more importantly, PDIs. Its not like their bikes are bargain basement offerings that can justify screws falling off and potentially endangering the life of riders.
I have noticed that riding any of the RE bikes you need to be sure of the speed in each gear when the vibes are minimum if you don't want to lose screws. Riding my cousin's borrowed Classic 500 last december over brilliant roads in Rajasthan at wide open throttle I came back to Jaipur after a 500 km run with a dangling horn (the bracket had sheared off), a missing screw from the headlamp ring, a rattling fuel tank (mounting bolt had become at least 5-6 turns loose), and a wobbling RR indicator. Iv'e seen my friend's well maintained classic 500 in Mangalore and thought that things falling off were a thing of the past, only later did I realise the difference in my friend's riding style and my maniacal one which is the essence here.

Sadly for me on my TBTS the comfortable spot (not a band) is 62 kmph @ 2500 rpm in 5th gear, talk about limiting the touring capability. At this point you feel the bike run like the smooth Jap bikes - No shaking in the instrument pods, no vibes in the foot pegs, no clatter from the engine and I get 38-40 kmpl too.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:17   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Cafe (R)Ambler

Gone baby gone. Gone baby gone. Gone baby gone. I kept repeating the same thing over and over again. No, my mind wasnt stuck in an endless loop because of Ben Affleck's directorial debut. It was just that the bike was free of all squeaks and creaks after the last service.

Well it didnt take long for the cicada noise to make it's way back with a vengeance. Maybe RE should start advertising it as a feature so owners will just live with it. Sigh! All part of the RE experience.....

Mileage : The earlier tank up that consisted of a Sunday morning ride and city commuting covered a distance of 199.1 kms. Total petrol consumed - 7.47 litres. Total mileage - 26.65 kmpl.

I tanked up before the ride to Anchetty on Sunday which covered 180 kms up and down. That plus another 65 kms in the city meant a total distance of 246.1 kms. Total petrol consumed - 7.92 litres. Total mileage - 31.07 kmpl. On both occasions, the bike was tanked up at Shell, Bellandur. Mileage since day 1 - 26.79 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
After I began using Motul 300V on my LB500, there was a perceptible increase in smoothness. Once I began running a free flow exhaust and a pod filter, the big single became even smoother. To illustrate, I used to do about a ton in third and the vibrations never bothered me.

Cheers,

Jay
Thanks Jay, that's just the sort of feedback I was looking for. For the next service I'll probably switch to fully synthetic. Now to figure out what to do with the leftover oil in the two cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I have noticed that riding any of the RE bikes you need to be sure of the speed in each gear when the vibes are minimum if you don't want to lose screws. Riding my cousin's borrowed Classic 500 last december over brilliant roads in Rajasthan at wide open throttle I came back to Jaipur after a 500 km run with a dangling horn (the bracket had sheared off), a missing screw from the headlamp ring, a rattling fuel tank (mounting bolt had become at least 5-6 turns loose), and a wobbling RR indicator. Iv'e seen my friend's well maintained classic 500 in Mangalore and thought that things falling off were a thing of the past, only later did I realise the difference in my friend's riding style and my maniacal one which is the essence here.

Sadly for me on my TBTS the comfortable spot (not a band) is 62 kmph @ 2500 rpm in 5th gear, talk about limiting the touring capability. At this point you feel the bike run like the smooth Jap bikes - No shaking in the instrument pods, no vibes in the foot pegs, no clatter from the engine and I get 38-40 kmpl too.
man_of_steel and I were having a discussion along the very same lines. My analysis was that the relatively 'high speed' (i.e. high revving) riding that I am doing on the weekends was responsible for the screws starting to work themselves off on my bike. Owners have to keep paying for screws and parts that keep falling off so I doubt the company sees any incentive in fixing these problems

The thing is, RE markets this as a cafe racer. Now Im not racing the bike on weekends or anything but if parts are going to fall off due to riding at around the ton mark then they shouldnt have given it that name. Maybe RE needs to put in a disclaimer on the sales receipt - If you do not want parts to fall off, ride this bike as though its a cafe ambler. Tell your friends that its a cafe racer but, remember, just dont ride it like one.

Anyway here's another pic cause darn it, this thread deserves more of them.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p3206400-medium.jpg
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:48   #161
BHPian

Did they have any other type of aftermarket taillights? Bulleteers in Cochin seem to love those headlamp guard things.

I think the black line stripe across the logo idea might not look as good with the tank of the gt, coz of the profile of the tank.

You can get temporary sticker work done to see whether it will look good or not.

The 3 nuts and bolts that hold my ignition coil in place always find their way off after my rides. I've applied loctite (blue), hasn't fallen off yet.

My filter base plate has fallen off in its place.

Regards,

BOV

p.s @manofsteel Nice lp sticker on the radiator

Last edited by B O V : 23rd March 2015 at 19:51.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 00:08   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did they have any other type of aftermarket taillights? Bulleteers in Cochin seem to love those headlamp guard things.

I think the black line stripe across the logo idea might not look as good with the tank of the gt, coz of the profile of the tank.

You can get temporary sticker work done to see whether it will look good or not.

The 3 nuts and bolts that hold my ignition coil in place always find their way off after my rides. I've applied loctite (blue), hasn't fallen off yet.

My filter base plate has fallen off in its place.

Regards,

BOV

I saw one aftermarket rear tail light offering the last time I was there but that was more for the KTMs than REs. Let me try and get a picture when I come down for Easter. They keep getting different stuff, I was disappointed that they didnt have the LED set from a few pages back. The owner keeps telling me to go in for the RR exhaust, fortunately the high price helps my self resolve I'm pretty sure I'll have to start loctiting my bike soon if I keep up this weekend riding.

OT - How in the world did you spot the LP sticker on his bike? I went back and checked the pictures but I just cant figure it out. Man, you really do have sharp eyesight!
Old 24th March 2015, 09:15   #163
BHPian

Re: Cafe (R)Ambler

Quote:

Well it didnt take long for the cicada noise to make it's way back with a vengeance.
Same with my bike too. After the change of the pads it has come back and I have decided to live with it now.

During my next change of oil I will try one of the synthetic oil. I find all the feedbacks encouraging.
Old 24th March 2015, 13:35   #164
BHPian

Quote:
OT - How in the world did you spot the LP sticker on his bike? I went back and checked the pictures but I just cant figure it out. Man, you really do have sharp eyesight!
+1. B O V, please enlighten.

Or did you see it in the morning rides thread? It's visible in one of them.
Old 24th March 2015, 13:59   #165
Senior - BHPian

Re: Longest ride to date : 590 kms to Kolli Hills

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
+1. B O V, please enlighten.

Or did you see it in the morning rides thread? It's visible in one of them.
Quote:

Attachment 1345734
man_of_steel getting a new profile picture

THIS. I guess!

Quote:
Thanks man! Just a tribute to my favorite guys!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 24th March 2015 at 14:06.

Most Viewed