Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2020, 19:37   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)

Honda activa fuel line pipe, easier to source.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 21:30   #647
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Honda activa fuel line pipe, easier to source.
Very narrow for their intended use.

But the Activa Fuel pipe is a good addon to one's took kit, has enough length that it can be cut and used twice or for siphoning fuel if the situation demands the same.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 21:38   #648
Distinguished - BHPian

I think people should realize, small cracks on the outside of those rubber tubes are unsightly but they don't mean there is a functional problem with the hoses.

These rubber hoses consist of several layers. Starting with the outside layer, it is intended to prevent damage from fluids, air and solar radiation to the lower layers beneath it. Small cracks in its surface doesn't mean the hose is going to leak.

Under the outside layer is a woven fabric layer which is designed to resist internal and external pressure so the hose won't expand when there is internal pressure or collapse if there is an internal vacuum.
Under this fabric layer is the real "working" part of the hose. A thick walled layer of rubber that conducts whatever is passing thru the hose. This inner layer is the important one and unless it is pierced with some sharp object or it is in contact with a fluid that it isn't resistant to, it rarely fails.

It's unfortunate that Royal Enfield uses hoses with an outside layer that isn't robust in it's resistance to ozone and ultra-violet radiation which is the cause of most of the small cracks we see on these hoses. IMO, a simple change of the type of rubber in the outer layer could greatly decrease the unsightly "cracking" problem.

As for me, I changed the crankcase breather on my 500cc UCE Royal Enfield to a clear vinyl hose and it has lasted for several years and is doing fine. (I should mention, the crankcase breather hose isn't subjected to any high internal or external pressures so the lack of an internal woven fabric layer isn't important in this application.)

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 27th February 2020 at 21:40.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 23:20   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting the bike back on the road - Part II

Well, the stars did finally align. I managed to carve out some time to get some of the long pending work completed and in the process, ensure that the bike was back in tip top condition for regular usage. First things first, I had to get the air pressure checked and the front tire was down by a few PSI but the rear tire was surprisingly still at 30 PSI, despite the bike not being used for a couple of months. Funnily enough, even with the bent handlebar and acutely bent front brake lever, the bike was good to ride and the brake lever especially fell well into my hand. Go figure.

At the Republic of Bikers store, I got the right side handlebar and right side front foot peg replaced. They also swapped out the OEM levers for the aftermarket ones that I picked up from another store (Rs 800 or so for the pair, IIRC).

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200303_165201_hdr.jpg
Highly bent brake lever, thankfully it didnt snap off and I could ride with it comfortably

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200303_165154.jpg
Replacement aftermarket bling levers

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200303_164353_hdr.jpg
Visibly bent bar goes off

I had also dropped off the single seat a week back, to get it redone. I was very particular that I wanted increase padding, especially at the sides since the OEM seat was not really comfortable after 5 years of usage. I was very pleased to see the delivered product, it was just what I wanted and doesnt look unsightly as well. It needs to break in slowly but from the short ride around town that I did, it felt like sitting on a very comfortable sofa. What a relief!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200303_173239.jpg
Finished product

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200303_174822.jpg
All set to return to action

I need to go back to the Republic of Bikers store to get some small stuff, like the oil change, done but I will say this, it felt wonderful to get back in the saddle and just potter around town on my favourite motorcycle. The last year has seen one minor travesty after the other - the rear shocks started leaking, the chassis developed a crack and needed to be replaced by Royal Enfield and then the bike got dropped by some miscreant and it took time to source the parts. Through all this, the Home Minister has questioned my apparently unwavering loyalty to the Continental GT 535 and I will admit, I have had my moments of weakness, when I have considered swapping the GT 535 for the Interceptor 650. But something inexplicably keeps drawing me back to the Royal Enfield Continental GT 535.

For now though, the only way to silence the niggling doubts is by doing some good old fashioned long distance riding and Im hoping that if things go as per my plans, I should be able to get a few thousand kilometers under my belt in the next couple of months. Once that is done, I will truly be able to piece together the future of the Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 in my garage.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 23:54   #650
BANNED

Re: Getting the bike back on the road - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Replacement aftermarket bling levers
The Ides of March are yet to come but you'd dearly regret this choice.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:04   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
.... but you'd dearly regret this choice.
You must have assumed Neil saar is going to buy from Shivajinagar market or AliExpress, there are companies that make after market parts that are leagues ahead of OEM with regards to quality and customisation. Or unless you meant this will be a waste of money once he gets delivery of his Chrome Continental GT650. Then I agree with you, this is a wasted effort.

Edit: Just noticed Neil saar already bought "bling" stuff

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 4th March 2020 at 10:07.
deepfreak15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 12:15   #652
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, since Royal Enfield does not sell just the brake lever or a set of OEM levers, it was either replace the entire braking kit for Rs 3,200 odd or get a pair of decent quality after market levers to get the bike back on the road. Meanwhile my research on improving the front end braking feel continues. If I decide to keep the bike, Ill take the plunge and dive really into the deep end for better brake feel up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Or unless you meant this will be a waste of money once he gets delivery of his Chrome Continental GT650. Then I agree with you, this is a wasted effort.
Why. You. Do. This. To. Me?

The wife balks at the idea of 3 bikes. My bank balance is on her side and strongly disapproves as well. And yet the chrome Continental GT 650 beckons.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 21:56   #653
BANNED

Quote:
You must have assumed Neil saar is going to buy from Shivajinagar market or AliExpress, there are companies that make after market parts that are leagues ahead of OEM with regards to quality and customisation.
He bought it for 800/- as mentioned.

A fellow enthusiast had gifted me a pair back in 2015, used it for maybe 5.00km's and immediately scrapped it.

The QC is pretty pathetic to be honest, them getting the indentation for the chrome clit part of the brake piston is a hit or miss and sadly you'd only realize it when you're riding one hot afternoon and suddenly the front brake locks up.

A fellow enthusiast used a similar pair on the ZMR and during an accident where he T-boned a car, the levers slit his fingers through his Dainese gloves, they surely are better built than OEM's but unfortunately in the wrong way, but then again CNC cut parts do have their downsides and it is understood.

Such accessories are a coming of age thing when it comes to motorcyclists, we've all been there even though we'd not publicly admit it.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:25   #654
BHPian

Quote:
All set to return to action
Man, doesn't it look gorgeous!!! The seat has come out well as well.

Planning to munch miles during summer? With the summer setting in and knowing the humid weather there, should be FUN in the riding gear. Good luck.

Ride safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 19:39   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why. You. Do. This. To. Me?

The wife balks at the idea of 3 bikes. My bank balance is on her side and strongly disapproves as well. And yet the chrome Continental GT 650 beckons.

Which is why i have been telling you - sell both the bikes and one kidney - and buy that Red Multistrada 1260
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 00:42   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting the bike back on the road - Part III

Spending two months in the corner gathering dust while the replacement parts all arrived, meant that the Continental GT 535 was much the worse for wear. A quick wipe provided only a limited antidote and on close inspection, the paint job was conspicuously rather tired and lifeless. A simple wash and towel down would not do in this case, so I had to pull out the 3M wash shampoo, Meguirs Ultimate Polish and Formula 1 wax to bring some sparkle back into the Continental GT 535.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200305_165404.jpg
All this manual labour isnt easy when you have an excitable pup who wants to play all the time.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200305_171119.jpg
Steals the maid's slippers to encourage a game of fetch. He sure doesnt like me spending time with the bike.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200305_175936.jpg
Results look rather encouraging.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200305_180808.jpg
Not too bad.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200305_180911.jpg
Not bad at all.

I didnt even touch the engine bay and that will have to wait for another day. Somehow I felt, the overall end results could have been a little better but it would have meant a lot more physical effort and with these climatic conditions, beyond a point, the law of diminishing returns proves to be a hard master to beat. For now this will have to do and the bike is all set for some weekend riding.

One thing that I have become more aware of is the fuelling and / or gearing that becomes more noticeable at lower speeds. Occasionally, city traffic speeds mean that I have to keep swapping between second and first gears and the on off throttle response feel could be better for sure. Wringing the throttle the moment a sufficient gap opens up, sure plasters a big grin on my face, but up until that time, the bike isnt in its sweet spot. I suspect that a visit to Race Dynamics and a custom map should sort this out.

Or maybe the picture perfect fuelling experience on my other motorcycle has ended up spoiling me and clouding my judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Man, doesn't it look gorgeous!!! The seat has come out well as well.

Planning to munch miles during summer? With the summer setting in and knowing the humid weather there, should be FUN in the riding gear. Good luck.
Thanks man, it looks a lot better now that Ive rolled up my sleeves and given it some TLC. You are absolutely right about the weather though, I sweated out a bucket just with today's mini detailing session. Hopefully I can get some riding done in March itself before the summer kicks in with vigour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Which is why i have been telling you - sell both the bikes and one kidney - and buy that Red Multistrada 1260
With friends like this, who needs .....

I could go by your wise words and buy the Multistrada 1260, but then I would be be without a house over my head, that too overnight. At the most, I might be offered a pillow when I am being thrown out, rather ungraciously, by the otherwise benevolent Home Minister. Of course the large-ish Multistrada could provide some shelter when the sun sets but I suspect Cochin's mosquitoes will then proceed feast on me.

For the same money as a Rs 24 lakh Multistrada, I could however get
- one Xpulse 200 with rally kit (Rs 1.5 lakhs)
- one chrome GT 650 (Rs 3.5 lakhs)
- one Honda CB500X (its coming, our prayers are being answered. Rs 4.5 lakhs)
- one Z650 (Rs 7 lakhs)
- one preowned Continental GT 535 to be converted to a scrambler (Rs 1.2 lakhs all inclusive)

And I would still have enough money for insurance, fuel and services for at least 5 years. Of course, I would also have five different bikes to sleep under as compared to one Multistrada 1260.
neil.jericho is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 08:59   #657
BHPian

Re: Getting the bike back on the road - Part III

Quote:

Steals the maid's slippers to encourage a game of fetch. He sure doesnt like me spending time with the bike.
Not only is he incredibly cute he is extremely intelligent. You on the other hand misunderstood his intentions. He is trying to smack some sense into you with that thing, telling you to stop wasting your time on that relic and go buy the Chrome GT already.
deepfreak15 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 16:22   #658
Senior - BHPian

Re: Getting the bike back on the road - Part III

Quote:

And I would still have enough money for insurance, fuel and services for at least 5 years. Of course, I would also have five different bikes to sleep under as compared to one Multistrada 1260.
Neil, levels of your intelligence and logic has gone up considerably since moving back to Gods Own Country

Cant find any fault with the line of argument, if you ask me.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 00:38   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

On the road again

I picked a waterfront spot on Google Maps that seemed scenic and wasnt too far off from some of the places that I had explored earlier. It ended up being quite a successful mission and since I was in no rush whatsoever, I could stop for some pictures and to just soak in natures finest.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200306_170703_hdr.jpg
Exploring some new sections ....

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200306_171017_hdr.jpg
... and stopping by some familiar ones.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200306_171546.jpg
An Xpulse would have been nice here

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200306_172542_hdr.jpg
I chickened out after seeing this narrow path and walked the last half a mile

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200306_172240.jpg
To reach this lovely fishing spot

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200306_173335.jpg
Notice the mud caked tires

Mileage: When the first visit for the year to the fuel pump is in the month of March, you know that it hasnt been a great start to 2020. Distance covered : 104.4 kms. Petrol consumed : 5.89 litres. Mileage: 17.72 kmpl which is low but at the same time, Ive had a sneaky suspicion that the fuel from the IOCL COCO pump wasnt giving me the mileage that I used to get with the other pumps. So Ive shifted back to the BPCL pump on the Kaloor Kadavanthra road for all my vehicles and the mileage figures have gone up for my other bike and for the car as well.

Quote:
Not only is he incredibly cute he is extremely intelligent. You on the other hand misunderstood his intentions. He is trying to smack some sense into you with that thing, telling you to stop wasting your time on that relic and go buy the Chrome GT already.
You sir, have won the internet today. I spotted an Interceptor today with Red Rooster exhausts installed. If that isnt the nicest sounding motorcycle that I have heard in 2020, I dont know what is.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-devilsinthedetails.jpg

Just leaving this out there, in case you ever chance upon some funds and decide to pick up one on a whim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Cant find any fault with the line of argument, if you ask me.
Thanks, I seem to have ethanhunt123 speechless as well!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 22:23   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

26,000 kms up

The Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 finally inched past the 26,000 km mark today. The revised double seat is not yet ready, once it arrives at Republic of Bikers, I will head over to get the oil swap done as well. The one issue that has cropped up over time is the bracket assembly that held the instrument cluster was starting to give up. Now I had got the OEM clamp chopped down in length and rewelded since it was scraping the Givi windscreen but the welding work wasnt all that great. Add the character inducing vibes and it was just a matter of time before it gave up. So I picked up a replacement clamp from the friendly folks at JR and Sons for a princely sum of Rs 454. Of course, it didnt help that Tbhpian Hamza123 posted an updated here (My 2020 Royal Enfield Thunderbird) that he bought a similar OEM bracket for his 2020 Royal Enfield Thunderbird which only came to a total sum of Rs 88.

Anyway, its been great to just get on the bike and do some simple, old fashioned riding.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-img20200307wa0092.jpg
Short ride to Kadamakkudy last weekend

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200307_172242.jpg
Another picture for good measure

The rider on the Xpulse and I covered some bad road sections and the Xpulse was just gliding over speed breakers and other road annoyances while I had to slow down and crawl through them. Though I wasnt blown away by my initial test ride of the Hero Xpulse, I will admit that the feedback on the bike has been good and if only Hero can iron out the gremlins, especially with its occasionally recalcitrant ABS system, I would really be tempted.

Here are some pictures from some solo exploration today.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200313_162100.jpg
Bookmarked for exploration at a later date

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200313_162204.jpg
Extremely serene

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200313_165423.jpg
Unexpectedly discovered this idyllic place while exploring some back roads

Mileage: With the return to the BPCL pump on the Kaloor Kadavanthra road and some easy riding, the mileage of the Continental GT 535 has gone back up into the thirties. Petrol consumed : 3.5 litres. Mileage: 33.94 kmpl which is quite a nice number indeed. Mileage since day 1 stands at 27.85 kmpl.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed