Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 20:49   #736
BHPian

Re: Hitchcocks Motorcycles Levers

Quote:
After examining them closely, I was amazed by the levels of fit and finish and the overall premiumness of the product. I have been known to spend a lot of money on my motorcycles and this certainly felt like it was a worthy investment. I will admit this, I had a nagging feeling that post installation, the levers would stand out as the most upmarket part of my Continental GT 535!
Thanks for sharing this. I had recently purchased some headlight brackets from Thailand and I'm convinced I've been ripped off by DHL. The Postal department seems more honest. Checkout the invoice below which shows only the customs duty I had to pay to DHL upon delivery of the product. The actual customs duty was just 644 for which I had to pay 3358/-. This was on top of the cost of the item plus delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-screenshot-20210125-8.47.53-pm.png  

silentstorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 15:07   #737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstorm View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I had recently purchased some headlight brackets from Thailand and I'm convinced I've been ripped off by DHL. The Postal department seems more honest. Checkout the invoice below which shows only the customs duty I had to pay to DHL upon delivery of the product. The actual customs duty was just 644 for which I had to pay 3358/-. This was on top of the cost of the item plus delivery.
silentstorm, I agree with you, the numbers that you shared dont really add up. The disbursement fee of Rs 550 is a flat fee for clearing it from customs, so that is fine. But the IGST (Reimbursement of cost) seems to be very unusual. Is it related to some GST credit? You should reach out to DHL to find out more.

Unrelated to this, I was looking up some camera lenses on Amazon USA and an Indian buyer had put up a review of the product and shipping experience. The buyer mentioned that he had ordered the product from Amazon USA and Amazon had collected a large amount for both shipping and customs together based on what Amazon expects the customs amount to be. However, the actual customs duty that was levied in India was far less than what Amazon had accounted for. Hence Amazon had actually collected a higher amount for shipping and customs than the actual amount. However, there was no reimbursement of the amount from Amazon, despite multiple follow ups from the buyer.

I dont know if this is the same scenario as yours and if you are eligible to get a refund from DHL. But you should follow up on this. Based on what you shared, I believe it might be best to get order sent through regular post instead of a premium logistics partner.

Signing off with an old picture of the Continental GT 535 because this thread can never have enough pictures.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20200829_081850.jpg

Last edited by neil.jericho : 26th January 2021 at 15:33.
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 14:49   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
silentstorm, I agree with you, the numbers that you shared dont really add up. The disbursement fee of Rs 550 is a flat fee for clearing it from customs, so that is fine. But the IGST (Reimbursement of cost) seems to be very unusual. Is it related to some GST credit? You should reach out to DHL to find out more.

I dont know if this is the same scenario as yours and if you are eligible to get a refund from DHL. But you should follow up on this. Based on what you shared, I believe it might be best to get order sent through regular post instead of a premium logistics partner.

Signing off with an old picture of the Continental GT 535 because this thread can never have enough pictures.
I reached out to the customer care and found the guy to be clueless. I read about IGST though and found out that it applies in case of inter-state movement of goods and basically whenever you import something they just assume that you're gonna move the item between states and charge the same. I'm guessing this applies to DHL as an organisation and not to us individual customers if we order through post. Also I couldn't find any rates online to verify the two thousand I've been charged so I'm just letting this go.

Long story short, I've made up my mind to ensure that packages I import hereafter are sent through the post.

P.S.: That's a great picture! Even the road looks great next to the motorcycle!
Old 30th January 2021, 12:16   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

In case anyone is interested in ordering items from Hitchcocks Motorcycles, do drop them an email first to find out the different shipping options that are available. Regular mail will be slower than a premium logistics provider (DHL in this case) but it is a lot cheaper as well. I had exchanged a couple of emails with the helpful customer care team at Hitchcocks Motorcycles and they provided a quote to me with the following two options.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-capture.png

When placing the order on their website, there is an option to leave notes regarding your order(s). You can mention which postage option you want in that notes box. I sent them an email after placing my order and they confirmed that they had noted the postage option which I mentioned on the website.

Hope this helps those who are looking to order products from their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstorm View Post
Long story short, I've made up my mind to ensure that packages I import hereafter are sent through the post.
Good decision, after reading your experience, even I have decided that I will only be using regular post for receiving international shipments.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 08:01   #740
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)

Here's the link of Roadpower Customs (Bangalore) product catalogue for the RE twins. They do not have a website yet and you have to place orders via whatsapp but they have good reviews in general.

https://www.facebook.com/RoadpowerCustoms/
Old 31st January 2021, 23:38   #741
Distinguished - BHPian

Hitchcocks Motorcycles Levers - Initial thoughts & Installation Experience

Quick review - Hitchcocks Motorcycles Levers
I have ridden the Continental GT 535 with the Hitchcocks adjustable levers for around 200 kilometers, so that is more than enough time for me to firm up my first impressions. I loved the fit and finish of the levers from the time that I opened up the box and first took them out. I got them installed at F Motors (more on it below) in Cochin and ever since then, it seems as though the riding experience has improved perceptibly. Yes, the previous lever were inexpensive adjustable ones, but their quality was absolutely no match for the solid feel that you get from the CNC machined adjustable levers sold by Hitchcocks.

The clutch lever and the front brake lever are two components that you end up using a lot on a motorcycle. Getting to experience premium quality stuff definitely makes a difference to the person on the saddle. Given the price, it is a bit of a hard sell to Continental GT 535 owners but if you can afford it, it is a must have.

That said, I feel it premium adjustable levers are an absolute must have for Interceptor / GT 650 owners, those bikes only need some sharpening up in a couple of areas, and this is an easy fix.

Installation Experience with F Motors
I had heard a lot of good feedback about F Motors (Instagram Link) from different riders and I had planned to take the Continental GT 535 to them at some point of time. When the Hitchcocks Motorcycles levers came in, I thought that this was the perfect opportunity and I contacted Sanju, who is one of the guys behind F Motors. This is a garage that is run by enthusiasts only on Saturdays and it has been growing slowly and steadily based solely on positive word of mouth. They are located in Thopumpady, which is not that far off from my place.

There were two things to be done
- replace the levers
- remove the stub of the right side foot peg and replace it with the new one which I had procured from JR and Sons.

Once I reached there, Sanju quickly got to work and removed the old levers. The clutch cable was well lubricated and the levers were greased as well (I forgot to make a note of which grease was used). The old foot peg was removed and the new one was installed in a jiffy. Other small details like the alignment of the mirrors, tightening of the mirror extenders etc were also taken care of. Sanju also sprayed a copious amount of Wurth Rust Off in all the areas of the bike that he felt was necessary.

What I liked was that all the right tools were available, extreme care was taken while all the work was being done. No shortcuts were taken. Also, the work was done quickly because he knew what he was doing, but at the same time it wasnt rushed. I love it when I have meticulous people work on my bike!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20201219_112230_hdr.jpg
Old lever which was removed

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210123_164412.jpg
Levers being greased

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210123_164506.jpg
New brake lever being installed

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210123_165449.jpg
Clutch cable being lubricated

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210123_170319.jpg
Foot peg holder being cleaned thoroughly before the new peg in installed

Overall, this was a very good experience with F Motors and I can see why they have been slowly growing in reputation in Cochin. Meanwhile, I got to know that my mechanic from Republic of Bikers has left, so going forward, the planned mechanical work on the Continental GT will be done at F Motors.

Also, in case you were wondering where krishnaprasadgg was getting his bike serviced, well look no further. The Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 is ahem, slightly less complex than the Yamaha R1, so my bike will be in good hands!
neil.jericho is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 14:14   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

Fun ride towards Athirapally

Ever since I got the fork oil replaced at Motonerdz, I was keen to head to Athirapilly early on a Sunday morning, to put the Continental GT 535 through the paces and give it a proper stress test. The Liqui Moly 5W Light fork oil was a big improvement over the OEM fork oil which had been replaced a few years ago and yet, lost its original feel. On my ride back from Trivandrum to Cochin, and in subsequent city rides, the Liqui Moly fork oil felt like a good balance between daily comfort and some sportiness but I had not really pushed it to see how it well it fared when the bike was ridden aggressively through the bends.

How sporty would the bike feel with the upgrade in the front fork oil? Would I need to switch to 7.5W or 10W fork oil for a sportier front end? Had I just been watching too much of Dave Moss's videos? Was I overthinking it? Was the bike already set up well enough for my all round use? This weekend, I finally got some time to head to the proving grounds of Athirapally to find out.

Fortunately, there was not too much traffic along the way, so I was able to reach Chalakudy fairly quickly. Due to Covid, my rides have come down a lot and I think I have ridden to Athirapally only two or three times since March of last year. On those occasions, I either had a lot of cyclists on the road or there were a lot of other bikers or it had rained overnight. This time though, the roads were bereft of traffic, in perfect condition and the weather was absolutely fabulous.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210131_075313.jpg
2 minute break to click a photograph

I was attacking corners like I havent done in years, the subliminal handling of the GT had more to do with it than my limited skills. The Timsun tires were super grippy and I was enjoying throwing the bike from corner to corner. The meaty midrange of the 535cc engine never let the fun dip for a second. The brakes felt super sharp and with the new levers, it was a pleasure to pull down on the anchors before reaching the next corner. This was the most fun that I have had on a motorcycle in a long time.

I probably have more fun with my Continental GT 535 on my rides to Athirapally than I do with the Street Triple 675. The GT 535 can be really hustled, you get the feeling that you are really making the bike work and the bike makes you work as well. It may not be the fastest bike that was heading to Athirapally that morning, but it is immensely rewarding. With the Triumph, I am always aware that the bike is immensely capable and that these twisties are not enough of a challenge for the motorcycle. It is super fun, no doubt, but to really push the the Triumph, I need to take it to the track. I cannot safely push that bike hard on public roads.

Back to the Continental GT 535, I only had a couple of kilometers to go to reach Athirapally when I felt the bike sputter for a brief second. I looked down and saw the console was dead and the bike had switched off. I was carrying a lot of momentum, so I was able to easily ride it to the side of the road. All the fun that I was having had come to a screeching halt. It was time to build some character.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210131_081553_hdr.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 14:08   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Building character and getting help from strangers

Though I have owned motorcycles for almost 20 years now, I am extremely fortunate to have encountered mechanical and electrical issues on very rare occasions. Thinking back, I would say that I havent had more than half a dozen issues, big and small over the years. A few incidents that stick out are
- My Pulsar 150 had a puncture while I was riding through traffic in Cochin. I had no clue on whether or not there were any tire shops in that side of town. I looked around and saw that I had stopped exactly in front of a MRF dealer and they replaced the tube for me.
- My Yamaha R15's clutch cable snapped in the middle of peak Silk Board traffic late in the evening. I pushed it for around half an hour to my FNG in Koramangala and got the cable replaced.
- My Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 switched off while riding back from Yercaud to Cochin. I was in a group ride and the rest of the group was very helpful and refused to proceed onward towards their homes. We loaded the bike up on a small truck and dropped it off at the Royal Enfield company SVC. That was down to an issue with the wiring, something was causing it to short and hence it was blowing through the fuses. It was fixed at that time and since then there were no electric issues.

Until now that is. I was a few kilometers away from Athirappally falls and I was on a solo ride. I tried switching the ignition off and then on again. Nothing happened. The console was would not come alive. There was nothing from the fuel pump or the engine. The bike was completely dead.

My first thought was that maybe a fuse had blown and hence I decided to check the fuses. They are placed right in front of the battery and are easily accessible. What is not so easy though is pulling them out with your fingers. It doesnt help if you have big hands like I do! Anyways I managed to check all the fuses and they were perfectly fine. Strange.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210131_083015.jpg
Removed each one and checked

I gave TBHPian Man Of Steel a quick call to ask him if he could think of anything and he suggested that I just check the battery and see if the terminals are all clean. They looked perfectly fine but I removed it, cleaned it and connected it back again. Still there was no luck, the bike wasnt starting.

I looked around at all the connections and plugs that I could spot, and tightened them. I tried the ignition and wonder of wonders, the display came on and I was able to start the bike. But I was able to run it only for a few seconds, after that the display would go off and the warning light would come on. The dials would also do a full sweep before the bike went off. At least the bike was starting, so that was some positive news. I would then have to wait for a couple of minutes and then when I tried starting the bike again, the same would repeat.

There was no way that I could ride the bike back in this condition but at least I could get moving and I planned to find a vehicle to load the bike on, so that I could again, go and drop the bike at the Cochin company SVC.

The unwavering kindness of strangers
Meanwhile krishnaprasadgg was returning from Cochin to his hometown and by our estimates, I would be returning back to Cochin at that time. We had exchanged notes and realized that we would probably cross each other on the way. So, we thought we could coordinate our timing and locations to get a chance to meet each other for the first time. He called me to ask where I was and I mentioned what had happened to the bike and that I was doing a root causes analysis. He was 30 kms away and wanted to ride to where I was and help me. I had to insist that he doesnt abandon his plan to reach home early and assured him that I would easily find a pickup van to load my bike on.

I geared up, took a u turn, started the bike and rode for a short duration before the bike sputtered and died on me. Immediately, a guy and his friend who were riding on a Bullet stopped and came to ask me what was wrong with the bike. The rider took out his phone and called his friend who worked at a Royal Enfield service center to get him to come and help me immediately. Unfortunately he was out of town but after talking to me, agreed that it was probably a battery issue. The two guys asked if they could do anything to help me and I told them that I would easily get a pickup van and that they should carry on.

Two minutes later, another guy on a bike spotted me nursing my bike back towards Chalakudy and stopped me to ask what was wrong. He too wanted to help but I told him that I was just trying to find a pickup van and then it would be all right.

5 minutes later, a young guy who was passing by on his bike saw me and stopped to ask what had happened. He knew someone who had a pickup van and called him but that vehicle had been sold recently. So he got the contact number of another person who wasnt picking up the phone. Very hesitantly he too left after I assured him that everything would be all right and it was just a matter of time before I found a pickup van.

Meanwhile I was coasting the bike down the slopes and was doing a combination of riding plus pushing the bike myself, when it was an upslope. It was quite tiring and I was glad that I hadnt filled up the bike in the morning!

10 minutes later, a young rider who was heading towards Athirapally on his Interceptor saw me and stopped his bike and turned around to help me. Again, I had to assure him that it was probably a battery issue and that I was fine. I just needed to find a pickup van and it was already past 9:30 AM, so finding someone would be easy.

I finally reached a bus stop and there were a few older men there, gathered for their usual Sunday morning discussions. When they saw me, they immediately enquired what was wrong and said that I didnt have to worry, as there was a mechanic who worked in a Royal Enfield dealership in Trichur, who stayed half a kilometer away. They tried calling him but he wasnt picking up his phone. So one of the gentlemen hopped onto his bike and brought the mechanic.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210131_100222.jpg
Waiting at the bus stop for the mechanic

When we checked the battery using a multimeter, the readings were fine, so it wasnt the battery that was the problem. The mechanic looked everywhere carefully and in a couple of minutes identified that the wiring leading up to the ignition was half frayed. His diagnosis was that there was an issue earlier and it was not fixed properly and hence it had worked itself loose over time. However, last week when I had gone to F Motors to install the levers, I had noticed that there was a small dent at the back of the headlight dome. When I had dropped the bike, the force of the impact would have transmitted to it and caused the dent. At this time, the wiring that lay behind the headlight would also have got damaged which led to the issue today. That is my diagnosis, who knows if I am correct or not.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210131_101253_hdr.jpg
Frayed wiring

The mechanic bypassed the ignition and the bike started without any issues. No, Im not going to share any pictures of the wiring that was done, because then, anyone reading this will be able to steal my bike! The windscreen had got slightly bent when I dropped the bike (you can see it in the photo I posted in my previous update) and I removed that as well. That was that, the bike was fixed and I was ready to ride back to Cochin. If anyone ever has any motorcycle issues when you are in that neck of the woods, ask any of the locals for Bullet Raja's number. If you dial his number, even Truecaller shows it as Bullet Raja!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210131_104935_hdr.jpg
Returning to Cochin

What next for the Continental GT 535
The return to Cochin was uneventful and I left the bike at the Royal Enfield company SVC. I have asked for three things to be done
- Keyset replacement (this was recommended by the Royal Enfield mechanic as well as the service advisor at the company SVC in Cochin)
- Right handle bar replacement (there is an ever so slight bend in the handlebar with the drop)
- Taller flyscreen from the 650 twins

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210131_120654.jpg
Back at the Company SVC

I was told that the parts would likely take 2 weeks to arrive. I happened to pass by the SVC yesterday and popped in to ask the service advisor on the current status. The handlebar and flyscreen are readily available but they are waiting for the keyset to arrive.

The reason I shared this experience in detail is because motorcycling teaches us a lot of things. Yes, we get to meet a lot of great people but they arent always our old friends or riding buddies. Sometimes, they can be complete strangers. Looking back, I am absolutely blown away by the number of people who wanted to help me in any way possible and the lengths that they went to. We get chances to help others every day, and sometimes we need a little help ourselves. I am a firm believer in good karma.
neil.jericho is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 15:22   #744
BANNED

Re: Building character and getting help from strangers

Quote:
The mechanic bypassed the ignition and the bike started without any issues. No, Im not going to share any pictures of the wiring that was done, because then, anyone reading this will be able to steal my bike!
Reading this brought to mind a few pics I'd shared in our local biker group a few months ago;

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-img20200921wa0023.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-img20200921wa0025.jpg

Ideally when facing issues related to the Ignition the best course of action is to actually check the Ignition Switch wiring, as seen in the above pic trace it to the connector, undo it and then short both leads on the harness side, takes under a minute to do.

If your motorcycle works fine then your switch set is at fault, in an emergency just short the wires, isolate them from possibly shorting with ground(chassis) and resume riding.

Don't worry about the motorcycle getting stolen, this is common knowledge and a good percent of bikers are aware of the same, what effectively prevents theft is your handle lock (and chain-lock if you use one).

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 6th February 2021 at 15:25.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 23:00   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

Hitchcocks Motorcycles Levers - Another 2 customers

Quote:
Quick review - Hitchcocks Motorcycles Levers
I have ridden the Continental GT 535 with the Hitchcocks adjustable levers for around 200 kilometers, so that is more than enough time for me to firm up my first impressions. I loved the fit and finish of the levers from the time that I opened up the box and first took them out. I got them installed at F Motors (more on it below) in Cochin and ever since then, it seems as though the riding experience has improved perceptibly. Yes, the previous lever were inexpensive adjustable ones, but their quality was absolutely no match for the solid feel that you get from the CNC machined adjustable levers sold by Hitchcocks.

The clutch lever and the front brake lever are two components that you end up using a lot on a motorcycle. Getting to experience premium quality stuff definitely makes a difference to the person on the saddle. Given the price, it is a bit of a hard sell to Continental GT 535 owners but if you can afford it, it is a must have.

That said, I feel it premium adjustable levers are an absolute must have for Interceptor / GT 650 owners, those bikes only need some sharpening up in a couple of areas, and this is an easy fix.
For the past few months, an old friend and I have been chatting about installing high quality imported parts for our respective Royal Enfield bikes. He owns a Baker Express Interceptor 650 and his brother owns an Orange Crush Interceptor 650. After I ordered the Hitchcocks Motorcycle levers and had a smooth experience with the customs department, he took the plunge and placed an order for a bunch of tasty parts from Hitchcocks. Im sharing a couple of pictures from the new levers which he installed on his bike today. Ive asked him to share some feedback on them once he gets some riding under his belt. Ill share some pictures and updates on his Interceptor 650 once he installs the rest of the parts that he has imported. For now, all I will say is that it certainly will be one of the best handling Royal Enfields in the country.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-whatsapp-image-20210207-11.16.07.jpeg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-whatsapp-image-20210207-11.16.07-1.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Don't worry about the motorcycle getting stolen, this is common knowledge and a good percent of bikers are aware of the same, what effectively prevents theft is your handle lock (and chain-lock if you use one).
If my Continental GT 535 ever gets stolen, I will know where the thieves got the needed information to hotwire the bike !
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 23:47   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Back after 3 weeks with the Royal Enfield Edapally SVC

Quote:
What next for the Continental GT 535
The return to Cochin was uneventful and I left the bike at the Royal Enfield company SVC. I have asked for three things to be done
- Keyset replacement (this was recommended by the Royal Enfield mechanic as well as the service advisor at the company SVC in Cochin)
- Right handle bar replacement (there is an ever so slight bend in the handlebar with the drop)
- Taller flyscreen from the 650 twins

I was told that the parts would likely take 2 weeks to arrive. I happened to pass by the SVC yesterday and popped in to ask the service advisor on the current status. The handlebar and flyscreen are readily available but they are waiting for the keyset to arrive.
When I had dropped my Continental GT 535 at the Edapally SVC, the SA had told me that he expected the bike to be ready in 2 weeks. It turned out that Royal Enfield needed 3 weeks to get all the parts to the SVC, which didnt matter to me, as I was really tied up with well, life. I didnt get any updates from the SA at any point of time, which was disappointing. On the 20th (Saturday), I got a couple of SMS's from Royal Enfield that stated that my bike was registered for service and that a job card had been created. To my understanding, the job card has to be created when the bike is dropped off at the SVC (in my case, 3 weeks back!) but the SA waited for the parts to arrive and then created the job card. Anyways, I called up the SA on Saturday and enquired about the status of the parts and he said that everything had arrived and that the bike would be ready that evening itself. I opted to pick it up today (Monday) morning instead.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210222_112125_hdr.jpg
Ready to be wheeled out

I had to pay for the tall windscreen at the sales department next door, which is where the old showroom was located. That gave me a chance to check out the new Himalayan but it did waste some of my time as well. It would have been more convenient if a customer could pay for it at the SVC itself. Despite this loss of time, there was further delay in getting the service bill ready. If Royal Enfield can streamline some of these processes even further, it will help reduce the turnaround time for everyone. Bear in mind that this was at 11:15 AM and not 6 PM when you will find 10 customers ready to pick up their bikes.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210222_112208.jpg
Im already missing the old screen! This one is so much smaller in comparison.

The total amount for the parts and labour came to Rs 3,547.6 I paid Rs 1,700 for the large windscreen. So all in all, it was an expensive day indeed.

Anyways, I was happy to be able to ride the bike after so many weeks. The one thing that I noticed almost immediately is that taller OEM windscreen cant be compared to the much larger Givi windscreen that I had on my bike earlier. This OEM windscreen lets a lot more wind flow onto my torso and that is not a bad thing, considering how warm it already is in this part of the country. On the flip side, it will not be of much help on the highways and I will have to contend with much more wind blast than before.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210222_180433_hdr.jpg
Smaller Himalayan headlight doesnt sit flush with the tall windscreen from the 650 twins

I have barely done more than 10 minutes of motorcycling since I dropped off the Continental GT 535 at the Edapally SVC. The thing is, the other bike currently in my garage, is a first generation Duke 390, which is here on a temporary posting of sorts. That bike is a hoot and a half, though this particular example isnt currently in pristine condition. I need to do a bit of commuting everyday for the next few weeks, so the Continental GT will see some more regular activity and I will be able to do a back to back comparison of the two bikes.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210222_214238_hdr.jpg

If you cast your minds back to the beginning of this ownership thread, the KTM Duke 390 and the Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 were two of the three contenders that I had, before I finalized on the latter. Both cost almost exactly the same money back then and in the preowned market today, they cost roughly the same as well. The best part about my current situation is that the two bikes couldnt be more different from each other if they tried. Before this feral KTM Duke 390 goes back to its home, I will pen down my thoughts on the two motorcycles on this thread.
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:52   #747
Senior - BHPian

Re: Back after 3 weeks with the Royal Enfield Edapally SVC

Quote:
If Royal Enfield can streamline some of these processes even further, it will help reduce the turnaround time for everyone.
A lot needs to be done, not just in India, even abroad, considering you're trying to break into many markets (Japan for example)

I've been trying to procure some parts for my Interceptor in New Zealand such as the Fly Screen, Oil Cap and Bar End finisher. I approached the dealer TSS Motorcycles, where I bought the bike from and to my shock, they have stopped dealing with Royal Enfield! This is one of two, maybe 3 of the largest dealers in the country. I went over to Motorad who are also a dealer of Royal Enfield (Among many other brands) and got a bigger shock. The listed price for the bar end finisher was 7 times the retail INR price. Similar story for the oil cap. Anyway, they did not have the part in stock and I did not feel like paying so much. 2 or 3 times the price would have been fine. I placed an order for the Fly Screen. Priced high but makes a little more sense for what it is. ($200 or Rs. 10,000)

These parts don't weigh all that much. A parcel from Cochin is around the corner too. I asked my father to contact the dealer in Vytilla. With the pandemic far from over, I told him to call before going. The number listed on Royal Enfield website links you to a call centre. They connect you to the dealer and there was no answer. My father happens to know the owner of the property so he rings them and gets hold of the dealers direct line. These accessories were not in stock. I am okay with that as Kerala isn't exactly Interceptor land. They love their Bullets more than anything else. Anyway, parts have been ordered and I should get them in less than a month.

All of the above could have been made simple had they just put the entire process online. If you can customize and book your motorcycle online, the accessories (or even parts) bit should be easy.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd February 2021 at 07:20.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:06   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

My initial impressions about the taller (as per Royal Enfield) windscreen not being very effective in deflecting wind off my stomach and chest were further reinforced by my riding today. I am a bit surprised by how ineffective these OEM windscreens are, the one from the Himalayan should be what tourers with Royal Enfield bikes opt for. I hope the upgraded Interceptor and GT 650 come with more effective windscreens.

Quote:
The total amount for the parts and labour came to Rs 3,547.6 I paid Rs 1,700 for the large windscreen. So all in all, it was an expensive day indeed.
I forgot to share the breakup of the total bill in my previous post.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1050
Size:  29.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The listed price for the bar end finisher was 7 times the retail INR price. Similar story for the oil cap. Anyway, they did not have the part in stock and I did not feel like paying so much. 2 or 3 times the price would have been fine. I placed an order for the Fly Screen. Priced high but makes a little more sense for what it is. ($200 or Rs. 10,000)

These parts don't weigh all that much. A parcel from Cochin is around the corner too. I asked my father to contact the dealer in Vytilla.
Sandeepmohan, I knew that the prices of spares abroad were steep but I didnt know it was to this extent. I do check international biking forums and I know that parts in America are more expensive than what they are in India but when you consider the transportation charges, dealer margins, exchange rates etc, it seems fair. The smaller size of the market might be the cause of the excessive margins in your case.

I didnt know you had a Cochin connection. I had been to the dealer at Vytilla a couple of months ago. They told me that they are not getting too many spares from the company. If you want Interceptor spares, reach out to JR and Sons on Chitoor Road instead. They are much better stocked than the Vytilla dealership. Their number is on Google, it is the outlet opposite Krishna Hospital. If you cant get them on the phone, let me know, I might have the owners card with me.

Quote:
Ill share some pictures and updates on his Interceptor 650 once he installs the rest of the parts that he has imported. For now, all I will say is that it certainly will be one of the best handling Royal Enfields in the country.
My friend installed the preload adjusters from Hitchcocks on his Interceptor 650. This is also compatible with the Continental GT 535, to my recollection. Below is the initial feedback that he shared with me.

- Suspension has transformed under commute conditions
- Going over pot holes isn't accompanied by knocking/thak sound
- On quick acceleration/deceleration bike doesn't dive too much
- Braking is more plush dive feel
- Bike is a lot well behaved

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-whatsapp-image-20210222-22.40.12.jpeg
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 17:35   #749
BHPian

Quote:
My initial impressions about the taller (as per Royal Enfield) windscreen not being very effective in deflecting wind off my stomach and chest were further reinforced by my riding today.
You knew this, didn't you? This is just for aesthetics and to fill the gap between the headlight dome and the twin meter console. Well discussed in the 650 twin thread.

Coming from the Puig screen this would not please you. Second best option is the Himalayan wind screen on MK design mounting brackets. Hope they come up with new brackets for the 2021 Himalayan screen.

One big disadvantage which we came across is that to remove the RE tall fly screen you have to remove the turn indicator stalks, to do that you have to disconnect them from the headlight housing! Time consuming

One thing you can try is to remove the metal plate with RE branding with the help of allen key, it'll give a clean tinted glass look. Try it

Cheers,
surja
surjaonwheelz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 22:54   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Back to the usual routine

When I got the PUC updated the other day, the young chap at the center was asking me if this is a BS3 bike or not. That is when I realized how old the Continental GT 535 actually is!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210223_144413_hdr-1.jpg

Despite its age, it still grabs attention and occasionally, some unwanted competition from road racers. I had taken off from a signal with my usual sense of urgency and a young guy on a Pulsar 220, caught up with me, slowed down to look at me through his rear view mirrors, waited for 3 seconds (expecting me to indulge in some street racing) and then took off like a house on fire. I dont know whether to be flattered that he thought the Continental GT 535 would be a rival in such a scenario or laugh at the preposterous of it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
You knew this, didn't you? This is just for aesthetics and to fill the gap between the headlight dome and the twin meter console. Well discussed in the 650 twin thread.

Coming from the Puig screen this would not please you. Second best option is the Himalayan wind screen on MK design mounting brackets. Hope they come up with new brackets for the 2021 Himalayan screen.

One big disadvantage which we came across is that to remove the RE tall fly screen you have to remove the turn indicator stalks, to do that you have to disconnect them from the headlight housing! Time consuming
You are right, I knew that the OEM screens would not really be a match for the much more effective (and expensive!) screen I had earlier. And it actually makes me realize that the Puig screen was worth its money, considering all the highway rides that I had done over the years. Sometimes, it is difficult to find value in these functional but wallet busting accessories but in the long run, many of them do pay off.

Im actually surprised that more 650 twin owners havent complained about the OEM screen options and got Royal Enfield to rethink their strategy on this front. I would put a more effective windscreen as a must have option for the refreshed 650 twins.

One thing which happened with the fitment of the new screen was that it ended up misaligning the earlier headlight throw angle. With the (now older) Himalayan unit on my bike, the headlight has to be tilted down to the maximum extent possible, until the screw fouls with the number plate, for the low beam to be perfectly set. I got the SVC to tweak it back to its old setting while maintaining the same angle on the flyscreeen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
One thing you can try is to remove the metal plate with RE branding with the help of allen key, it'll give a clean tinted glass look. Try it
I thought about it but the current metal plate kinda, sorta does merge with the chrome Himalayan headlight. This doesnt make it obvious that they dont sit flush, when viewed from a distance. Up close though, it probably is evident.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210222_214548_hdr.jpg
Like this

Meanwhile, here is what I was riding today. That engine is a gem when you are giving it the beans but the snatchy throttle is something that I cannot come to terms with.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20210225_105116_hdr.jpg

Mileage: I filled up at an IOCL COCO pump at Janatha for a change. Looking at my mileage tracker, I realized that I hadnt filled up the Continental GT 535 even once from there in 2020. I do however fill up my other motorcycle and my car from the same pump once in a while. Distance covered : 250.1 kms. Petrol consumed : 6.62 litres. Mileage: 37.38 kmpl.

Mileage since day 1 inches up to 28.14 kmpl.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks