Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Old 27th August 2021, 17:17   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Second impressions of the revised suspension setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I know a few people are interested in the suspension modifications that a few other Team BHPians and I are experimenting with on our Royal Enfields, so I thought it best to provide a quick update on the latest sporty / road racing side suspension setup. As a quick reminder, with the preload adjusters installed (and not dialled in at all) the sag on the front end can only be set to what is a sporty / road racing setting. To match that, I have set the sag on the rear to be what falls under the sporty / road racing numbers. I was expecting it to be really stiff in the real world.
I did some 60 - 100 kmph highway riding of the Continental GT 535 with this road racing setup and honestly, it now feels like a thoroughbred motorcycle. As speeds increase, it feels solid like a rock and super P L A N T E D. I distinctly recall looking down at the bike and wondering whether it was the same old comfortable and slightly wallowy Continental that I have owned for so long. How it has transformed in feel, just with the right suspension settings. Amazing!

Insurance Renewal
I renewed the insurance for both my bikes through Coverfox again. I continued with the New India Assurance Company as their rates were reasonable compared to the competition.
IDV : Rs 82,738
No Claim Bonus : 50%
Own Damage Premium : Rs 205
Third Party Premium : Rs 2,323
GST : Rs 455
Total : Rs 2,983

So far I havent had any insurance claims with the Continental GT 535 and I hope it stays that way for years to come.

I usually sign off with a recent picture of the bike from a short ride. But the last time I took the bike out was to do the highway speed suspension testing, and I was enjoying the experience so much, that I didnt even bother to stop at the usual spots. I was loving it so much that I didnt stop riding until I got back home. So, for a change, here is a picture of my other motorcycle from a recent ride.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (27,000 km and 6 years)-20210822_170253.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 17:53   #797
BHPian

Default Re: New chassis, 24,000 kms up and ownership thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
They had also replaced the centre stand which had actually become a bit problematic for me recently. Due to the weak battery, I had to always put the bike on the centre stand and kick start it. However, getting the bike off the centre stand was becoming tough as the bike would slide forward.
I don't understand, why would you need to put your bike in center stand in order to kick start it? I have owned many bikes albeit more than a decade ago but have driven some every year so what am I missing, is this some new phenomenon? Normally one removes the stand(side or center) and kick the bike and it starts, why do you need to put the bike on stand in order to kick?
Sran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 14:20   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: New chassis, 24,000 kms up and ownership thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
I don't understand, why would you need to put your bike in center stand in order to kick start it? I have owned many bikes albeit more than a decade ago but have driven some every year so what am I missing, is this some new phenomenon? Normally one removes the stand(side or center) and kick the bike and it starts, why do you need to put the bike on stand in order to kick?
My pant used to get caught on the edge of the footpeg, if I used to kickstart it without the bike being on the centre stand. And there is a particular technique to kick starting it, as well. Hence, I always preferred to have it on the centre stand for kickstarting duties. That said, I havent had to do so in several months, maybe two years now.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 22:56   #799
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (27,000 km and 6 years)

Here is a short update after almost a month. I found that some nincompoop had tried to take off the cheap phone holder that I had on the bike and in the process, he had broken the ball clamp. This was when it was parked in our apartment's parking lot! I need to replace the phone holder with another inexpensive one.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (27,000 km and 6 years)-20210929_144836.jpg

Since I couldnt find the time to step out for a short ride or indulge in weekend rides, I did a quick trip to the airport and took the long way home. All in, I probably did around 75 kilometers. With the double seat, this wasnt a really comfortable ride. I need to reconsider my decision to postpone the upholstery work on the OEM double seat.

Even though the bike hasnt done 3,000 kilometers on the current Shell fully synthetic engine oil, it feels like it is time for a change. The engine is starting to become a bit gruff and is strongly hinting that it needs new engine oil. I have some cans of the Shell and Amsoil fully synthetic engine oil, in the 15W50 rating. I probably will run the Shell for around 2,000 kms and then replace it with the Amsoil, which is rated very highly by motorcyclists.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (27,000 km and 6 years)-20210929_155018.jpg

Signing off with a picture of a rare yellow Royal Enfield. This one grabs double the eyeballs that my bike would.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (27,000 km and 6 years)-20210928_164657.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 23:17   #800
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 7 years up - Express service time

Since the motorcycle has completed 7 years, I decided to take the bike for a quick service to my trusted F Motors. I carried the Shell fully synthetic 15W50 engine oil, an oil filter and an air filter with me. The old oil had run less than 2,700 kms in the last year and was already jet black! The air filter needed to be replaced as well. Overall, another short but very positive service experience with F Motors.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (27,000 km and 6 years)-20211007_152947.jpg
New Shell fully synthetic 15W50 oil being poured in

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (27,000 km and 6 years)-20211007_154254.jpg
The old dusty air filter

Why such a simple service this time, you might ask? Well, the bike has been feeling a little neglected of late and age has been catching up with it. Thanks to Covid, my plans for injecting some new life into the bike got delayed by a year. Soon, the Continental GT is heading to a garage for a complete strip down and some well deserved TLC. The last few weeks have been spent in planning and procuring the parts required for this exciting rejuvenation project.

This thread can never have enough pictures. Before I sign off with some pictures from a short ride through Fort Cochin, I must share this funny incident. While riding through town, a young chap on a scooter pulled up alongside me and without even looking in my direction, asked "Bro, isnt your bike supposed to have 2 exhausts?" I was caught off guard since I was in motion and he was riding beside me. I said "No, no, this is an old bike. Only one exhaust". Without looking at me, he said OK and sped off!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (27,000 km and 6 years)-20211007_161308.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (27,000 km and 6 years)-20211007_161605-large.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed