Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 22:10   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
I am contemplating purchasing it, however since I would need to ship it to India its gonna cost a bomb. You think it would be worth it at 8K?

The single is my default choice as well. I find it far more comfortable than the double.
Thanks sumithb, looking forward to getting a few more good weekend runs under my belt before the monsoon hits us. 8 grand is not a small amount so I would suggest looking at it from the perspective of your usage. If you are doing long rides, I would say go for a windscreen (Givi or similar lower priced Indian options) as it makes riding a lot easier. In my case, the Sunday morning rides I go for usually consist of Duke 390s, CBR250s etc and these are bikes that can easily sustain triple digit speeds on wide empty open roads. The wind blast from keeping up with them is tiring but not really an 'OMG its the end of the world' deal breaker.

If you arent really going to be doing such long distance riding , then the utility of the Givi windscreen diminishes drastically. The same Rs 8,000 can get you 111.11 litres of petrol (@72 Rs/litre). If your bike has a mileage similar to mine you are looking at fuel that can cover 2900 kms of riding. Or it can get you some riding gear. Or interest if it sits in the bank.

Objectivity aside, there is something extremely alluring about a single seated yellow Continental GT with the Givi windscreen. 8,000 rupees seems to be a small price to pay for the simple joys of life.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 21:07   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Yercaud is a nice cosy little hill station that somehow always ensures fond memories are in no short supply everytime I ride there. Ive done a few overnighters with friends and one big inter state ride with 80 bikers (incidentally there was also another Bullet ride with 125 bikers in their group which left the locals very puzzled) all of which remain firmly etched in my mind to this day. I mean how do you forget a ride when what you see below is just half of your group's parking?

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-img_0397-medium.jpg
So when the opportunity to ride with man_of_steel and a fellow biker who is a veteran of many a long ride (and who had ridden with us to Kolli hills) came up I just couldnt say no. We set off from Bangalore by around 6:45 and stopped for a very long breakfast at the Shoolagiri McD which was quite crowded. The breakfast at CCD got a big fat unanimous thumbs down. Funnily enough, one loud Harley rode in with a RE Thunderbird only for me to hear a dad excitedly tell his kid, "Look beta, two Royal Enfields!"

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-ronald.jpg
Ronnie Mac offered to watch over the bikes
While we did lose a lot of time, we more than made up for it over the next one hour before we stopped a short distance before Salem for a tea break. We certainly did get amused looks from the local guys due to our riding gear and fancy helmets which are not mandatory in Tamil Nadu as far as I know.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-aavin.jpg
We rode through Salem town which was chaotic as always and eventually managed to make our way up to the lovely stretch that would take us to Yercaud. The sight of very well laid tarmac and the prospect of 20 hair pin bends had us excited and it didnt disappoint one bit. While Kolli hills was a very challenging and exhausting hair pin bend after hair pin bend after hair pin bend climb, the one at Yercaud is a lot more relaxed with so many fun S bends and unexpectedly sharp 90 degree turns. Yes it is a relatively challenging climb but you cant afford to let your guard down and get caught by the deceptively sharp bends hidden by the thick foliage made more dangerous by careless drivers. We just had to stop for pictures along the way.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-bridge.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-duke-corner.jpg

The temperature dipped noticeably once we crossed the 17th hair pin bend and the last few kilometers are filled with just so many picturesque spots that you just cant decide where to stop for more photos. Both D390s were topped up as soon as we entered Yercaud while I decided to play it safe and fill it up on our return. Lunch was at the Hotel Shevaroy (Im a creature of habit) and was nice enough but expensive. We had seen so many cars go by when we stopped for pictures that we were worried that we wouldnt get a place to sit if we did our sightseeing first. Than plus man_of_steel was hungry.

This turned out to be a good move as we were done with our lunch while the restaurant filled up and we were on our way to any one tourist spot before heading back. We took a road I was familiar with and it led us to Pagoda Point but as we got there we saw that there was such a big jam much before the parking lot so we wisely decided to head back. Not having got our share of touristy adventure we decided to branch off and explore off road for some time. We didnt have too much success but it isnt everyday that a D390 get taken into wild bushes over 8 feet tall in search of a trail.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-return.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-waiting-2.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-waiting.jpg
False Alarm

We wanted to reach Bangalore before sunset which was an ambitious target that wasnt helped by us stopping for more pictures. Again, can you blame us?

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-shadows-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-curves.jpg
I had noticed that hair pin bend 17 provided a quite magnificent view and so we had to stop there as well for a few pictures.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-overview.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-corners.jpg
man_of_steel was scything through the corners like a man on a frenzied mission and while watching him effortlessly lean the D390s into corner after corner had me grinning silly from ear to ear, the heavy lunch meant that I was in no condition to emulate him. We eventually regrouped and made our way through the crazy Salem traffic to hit the highways. Despite all the high speed riding, the bike had enough fuel to make it to the A2B at Thoppur which was a distance of 316 kms from the last tank fill the previous night. A refreshing break with expensive fruit juices left us with enough energy for the next stretch.

By now my butt was starting to get uncomfortable from the ride though it was nowhere as bad as last week's trip to Yelagiri. We were blessed with limited traffic and empty roads and once again we were able to cover good ground before we stopped for tea between Krishnagiri and Hosur. Aside from a crazy guy on an R15 who shouted at man_of_steel and drove precariously close to my bike in an attempt to show his anger at our riding, our return trip was uneventful. We did make it into Karnataka with the sun still yet to set so I must say we did manage some pretty good long distance riding under our belts. After the D390s tanked up (again I might add ) we soon said our farewells to bring an end to a quite marvellous day of biking.

Every biker has his own interpretation and preference towards group biking. For me, everything about this ride was spot on. We rode together and within our comfort zones. We didnt waste time during our breaks but we took enough rest. Outside of these though, there is that intangible riding chemistry that is so hard to define and explain. Its what you get when you have similarly minded riders who are respectful of each other's abilities and machines and are able to effortlessly ride in real world conditions without every putting the others at risk. It inspires confidence and trust in truck loads.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-img20150531wa0050.jpg
Salute to the riders and their steeds

The Continental GT was in top form through the day. The bike was a joy in the corners though I wasnt hustling it like our last ride to the hills. My fellow riders said that I was a lot faster today than I was on our Kolli hills ride which I am putting down to the windscreen and to a lesser extent what I thought were fewer vibes through most of the trip. Im not sure if this is all in my head but I felt that the vibrations were a lot less on the way to Yercaud when I had a tank bag with 2 1/2 litres of water in different bottles along with my camera. On our return, the bottles were mostly empty and the vibes felt higher. Could I be imagining it?

And since this a Continental GT ownership thread that deserves more pictures, I have to share these as well.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-solo-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-solo-2.jpg

To sum up, what a great ride. The D390s and corners are made for each other and in the hands of an experienced rider can spell magic. The Continental GT is no slouch either and kept pace with the D390s through the day. Excellent co riders and a picturesque destination make for the perfect riding recipe. Another great trip to Yercaud. Another bunch of great memories.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 00:25   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Fuel economy

Mileage : I tanked up at a nearby IOCL petrol pump before the ride to Yercaud to ensure I was running with a full tank and hopefully could avoid tanking up there. Total distance - 124 kms of which over half the riding was on the highways while returning from ride to Yelagiri last week. Total petrol consumed - 4.69 liters. Mileage - 26.44 kmpl.

Tanking up at the A2B in Thoppur on our return from Yercaud, the low fuel warning started blinking once it hit the 300 km mark. Total distance covered - 316.2 kms of which 250 kms was on the highways at an average of triple digit speeds. Total petrol consumed - 10.5 litres. Total mileage - 30.11 kmpl.

Mileage since day 1 stands at 26.89 kmpl and hopefully will continue to remain around the same. My usage will probably see a drop in the near future as Ive started using public transport again to get to work and avoid the horrendous traffic towards Whitefield. It was even worse than ever this Monday with the reopening of schools and standing water from the previous evening's heavy downpour. Geez louise, I cant wait to see what will happen once the actual monsoon hits us.

Here are a couple of pictures from the ride to Yercaud.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p5297556-medium.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p5307604-medium.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 11:57   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to the UEFA Champions League final, I was blissfully unaware of the fact that I slept my way through my morning alarms and calls from fellow riders who I was supposed to join for a 270 km ride. To compensate of sorts, I decided to go for a quick ride to Nandi hills in the afternoon while it was sunny but not too hot. After having faced some of the best that hills in this region have to offer over the last few months (Kolli, Yercaud, Yelagiri), Nandi in comparison was, well, Nandi. The roads were in good condition except for certain stretches where there was a lot of mud (from trees being cut?) which made things tricky.

The reason that I will stay away from Nandi Hills though has less to do with the roads and difficulty of the climb but instead has everything to do with the brain dead degenerates (that's the most diplomatic word that I can think of) that drive to Nandi Hills. Here are a few examples of what I experienced

- On the way up at a hair pin bend curving to the right, a young Honda City driver blared his horn continuously for around 10 seconds to warn people who are driving down and then took the turn at full speed while sticking to the apex and continued to climb up on the wrong side of the road. This would have resulted in a head on collision had any vehicles been coming down towards the same hair pin bend (though those coming down would have been at no fault).

- One Honda City with Ralliart stickers on the boot and another Mitsubishi Lancer with young guys were driving very dangerously with each car having the person in front sitting on the door (feet inside) while hooting and hollering and waving one arm in the air at the fellow degenerates in the other car. All this while holding onto the car with only one hand! Not only did they speed down Nandi Hills like this, they were doing the same on the approach road to the highway and were trying to overtake others from both sides of the road. The furious looks on the faces of the locals said it all. I caught up with the Ralliart Honda City near the Airport toll but by then the occupants were sitting like quiet well mannered gentlemen.

- One Hyundai Getz driven by a young driver with his family on board overtook me on the inside line of a hair pin bend while coming down. If there was a vehicle driving up the same bend, he would have spotted it too late and swerved to avoid a head on collision and knocked me down (or worse, off the hill....).

In addition to all this, I had one really scary moment on the way to Nandi when crossing the Indian Paratha Company as a really careless driver pulled out of the parking lot from behind a row of parked cars without honking or even pausing to look for traffic and I suddenly found him in front of me as I was in the left most lane. Fortunately the brakes once again did their job extremely well and there was no traffic so I able to switch lanes and avoid a certain accident. Had it been a bus or a lorry, the car would have ended up with a mangled boot and fatalities.

Well enough with the negativity, time for some pictures

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p6077703-medium.jpg
Need more B&W pictures

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p6077707-medium.jpg
Admittedly a nice view

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p6077733-medium.jpg
No shady business

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p6077738-medium.jpg

Other than these frustration inducing incidents, it was a Code 5 - Nothing to Report kind of ride. The bike is doing a really good job of going about its business in a no nonsense manner which I like. It sure continues to grab eyeballs which I guess is a fringe benefit of all the exclusivity. I noticed several people slowing down to take a closer look at the bike and smiling when I had pulled over to take a break and click a few pictures. You know you have made a good choice when your motorcycle can evoke that emotion from strangers.

I even had one helmet less young rider and his younger pillion both take their eyes completely off the traffic in front of them and turn back to stare at the Continental GT continuously while riding at 60 kmph. To ensure they didnt have an accident I overtook them and rode just in front of them so they would at least be looking in the right direction.

Mileage : Since I had planned to go for the Sunday morning ride I had tanked up at Shell Bellandur the previous evening. Total distance - 245.9 kms. Total petrol consumed - 8.19 litres. Mileage - 30.02 kmpl.

I tanked up at the same pump while returning from Nandi Hills after having covered 165.1 kms. Total petrol consumed - 5.19 litres. Mileage - 31.81 kmpl. Mileage since day 1 has inched its way up to 27.13 kmpl.

Instead of lazying around and listening to MTV Indies, I ended up riding to Nandi and shaking my head so many times while marveling at the lack of self preservation and concern for others on the road. Lesson learnt. Next time I'll just take a nap instead.
Old 8th June 2015, 12:28   #215
Senior - BHPian

Neil,

You chose a very wrong time to go to Nandi Hills. Best time to get up there is to head early in the morning by 630. Post that Hills lose its sheen/Charm.

Take Care and ride safe.
Old 16th June 2015, 11:46   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

My weekly usage of the Continental GT has come down quite a bit since my decision to stick to public transport for the office commute, so it is over the weekends that I actually end up riding around town. Funnily enough, there was a point in time when I would look at other weekend bikers who would use public transport instead of their bikes to go to work and I used to think to myself "Man, that will never be me. I am never going to let practicality get in the way of riding my bike daily." How the mighty have fallen!

Our most recent Sunday morning ride to Kaiwara was very short but the battle against the dangerously deceptive lake bed made it well worth it. A CBR250 rider and I tried an alternate route out of the bed and watching a him struggle for traction, I realized that I was having an enough tougher time because of the bike's weight. How about shaving off some of those kilos on your newer bikes Royal Enfield?

With our feet getting zero traction and slipping, it was a great test of skill to balance both accelerator and clutch as most throttle inputs only resulted in the rear end swinging around wildly like it was swaying to the beat of a popular DJ. The other riders fortunately took the easier way out but the wheels, chains, mudguards, brakes and even engines of our bikes were just covered in mud. All said and done, those few minutes were fun, fun and more fun.

I dont like making tall claims but given the low sales numbers, I suspect I can claim the title of muddiest Continental GT in our country!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-dsc_1144-medium.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-dsc_1147-medium.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-dsc_1156-medium.jpg

It's time for the 9 month service visit and other than an occasionally squeaky front brake lever, I dont have any other complaints for now. I will ask them to check the chain for slackness. The 9 month / 9000 km service is more of a routine visit to check and adjust everything. Front fork oil / leak is the only item marked as replace in the manual. Hopefully I will be able to squeeze in the service sometime this week.
Old 17th June 2015, 18:11   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Thanks sumithb, looking forward to getting a few more good weekend runs under my belt before the monsoon hits us.
===============
Objectivity aside, there is something extremely alluring about a single seated yellow Continental GT with the Givi windscreen. 8,000 rupees seems to be a small price to pay for the simple joys of life.
On double seat, do we get the Cowl as well as standard accessory or it has to brought separately, as I had seen some pictures where cowl is there for double seat.
Old 18th June 2015, 19:46   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

9 month service

9 months already? Time sure has a funny way of flying by while you arent paying attention. I reached my trusted company SVC in Jayanagar by around 8:45 today morning to get the 9 month / 9000 km service done with and luckily there werent too many bikes waiting in line. The Service Advisor wrote general service and oil top up on the job card at first. When I told him I dont want the oil top up as I had used semi synthetic, he had a puzzled look on his face. I tried explaining that there are 3 types of engine oil but seeing as it was sailing high above his head I said I'll top it up myself later. The manual lists front fork oil / leak as a replace so I made him write it on the job card because he seemed hesitant to get it done. The only other thing I asked them to do was to adjust the chain.

As usual I agreed to wait and was given a time commitment of 11:30 which seemed fine as there wasnt much they were going to do. The bike was wheeled in at around 10 AM. The SA came and told me that they would just inspect the front fork oil for this service and that replacing would be done next time. Again I pulled out the manual and showed him that it was to be done at the 9 month / 9000 km service. Finally he took me to one of the working bays and showed me a print out that said for all new bikes it is to be done at the 12 month / 12,000 km service and hence he only wanted to inspect it now. Im not sure why they cant follow the manual! I gave up and said they can do it at the 12 month service. I will drop a note to the RE customer care to confirm if they have updated their SVCs with regard to this or if they should be sticking to the manual.

The bike was wheeled out at 11:00 and put into the line for a wash. I usually dont get the wash done because it takes too long but all the chain cleaning and lubing that I had done had left the rear wheel looking absolutely terrible. I got a sms that the bike was ready at around 11:50 and paid up. By 12:00 it still wasnt out and I had to go and start putting pressure on the SA who seemed oblivious to the delay. I finally got the bike after it spent one hour for service and another one hour ten minutes to get washed! The breakup of the bill is below.

Miscellaneous Labour - (Rate) Rs 100 - (Service Tax) Rs 14 - Total Rs 114.

Even though it was a small thing, I was a little annoyed by the unnecessary delay and I was talking to my SA about it while I was leaving. Immediately another SA came up and asked me what the problem was and after hearing me out, he apologized for the delay. The manager also came up and asked me what happened and apologized for the same and told the SA about the need to be on top of things and the importance of simple actions like updating a customer on a delay. It was a small slip up but they owned up immediately. Small corrective actions like this go a long way towards keeping customers like me happy.

I did ride the bike for some time in the evening and I found the front end to be slightly twitchy. I also had to switch to the double seat after the service and I had a torrid time getting the seat off. I finally had to resort to an almighty yank of the cord and that did the trick. I'll tank up and check the air pressure to see if it sorts out the front end.

Incidentally, I spotted another Continental GT owner who had come in to get replacement chrome rings for his yellow bike. Technically there isnt a spare part for it but the SVC managed to get it off a badly damaged bike. I have a suspicion that its just a matter of time before they pop off on my bike as well.

So 9 months and 5,900 odd kms later, I can sum up my ownership experience in one sentence - If I had to go back and do it all over, I wouldnt change a single thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Best time to get up there is to head early in the morning by 630. Post that Hills lose its sheen/Charm.
You're right. I knew it was bad but I didnt know it was this bad. Im surprised media channels havent picked up on it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
On double seat, do we get the Cowl as well as standard accessory or it has to brought separately, as I had seen some pictures where cowl is there for double seat.
Yes, you do. You can check it here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3544154
Old 18th June 2015, 20:32   #219
Senior - BHPian

Re: 9 month service

Quote:
..The manual lists front fork oil / leak as a replace so I made him write it on the job card because he seemed hesitant to get it done.

...The SA came and told me that they would just inspect the front fork oil for this service and that replacing would be done next time.
Your fork was leaking right? They still did only an inspection on the oil level??

Quote:
Incidentally, I spotted another Continental GT owner who had come in to get replacement chrome rings for his yellow bike.
Intriguing. What chrome ring was that?
Old 18th June 2015, 21:54   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

An update and no pictures! How could I? Since this thread can never have enough pictures, here are some from a recent ride.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p6077713-medium.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p6077718-medium.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p6077743-medium.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Your fork was leaking right? They still did only an inspection on the oil level??
No leaks. Yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Intriguing. What chrome ring was that?
From the dials. Arulpeem's Continental GT had both the chrome rings fall off.
Old 19th June 2015, 00:04   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Several CGT owners in the USA have also had the chrome rings around the speedometer and tachometer fly off while motoring down the road.

It seems to be a common ailment.

If anyone notices the rings coming loose perhaps they would be wise to force a bit of clear Silicone Rubber RTV under the ring(s) and wipe off any excess that may be noticeable on the gauges glass?
Old 19th June 2015, 09:03   #222
BHPian

Quote:

From the dials. Arulpeem's Continental GT had both the chrome rings fall off.
A few weeks back I was in the service station and saw a bike with damaged console. I reminded the service person but haven't got any news as of now. Just now I called the service manager to remind him about it. Hoping for the best. .
Old 21st June 2015, 00:15   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Ride to DD Hills

After last times off roading (mis?)adventure, our weekend ride group stuck to a tried and tested destination of DD Hills today, the details of which you can find in the Sunday morning ride thread. Today's route had a mix of smooth highways, back roads, country roads and a small climb with a few hairpin bends thrown in for kicks and not once did I feel the front end twitchiness that I experienced after the mid week service. Maybe checking the air pressure did the trick after all. I hadnt switched back to the single seat and I could feel the difference on hard acceleration. For spirited riding, it has to be the single seat for sure.

On highway rides, the engine revels in the sweet spot between 90 to 110 kmph which is when it is at it aural best as well with a nice grunty sound. On our return, we spotted a yellow Continental GT with an exhaust that was much too loud for my liking. My Continental GT is probably the quietest motorcycle in the RE SVC these days given the number of bikes that have after market exhausts.

Based on our breakfast conversation I was thinking about what I would change on the bike if I could have Royal Enfield tailor it to my specifications. More power for one, a bump up to say 34 bhp sounds reasonable to me. ABS needs to be there as well. On the nice to have list would be a bigger fuel tank. I really cant think of much else that I would like changed. Fancy that.

Mileage: I tanked up at the IOCL pump in HSR yesterday before the ride to DD Hills. Total distance : 255.4 kms. Petrol consumed - 9.57 litres. Mileage - 26.69 kmpl.

I tanked up again at the same pump today evening. Total distance : 189 kms. Petrol consumed - 6.28 litres. Mileage - 30.1 kmpl. Mileage since day 1 is 27.19 kmpl and I think will slowly increase with most of my riding now happening over the weekends.

Here's a picture with a Thunderbird 500 from today's ride followed by another one of our group's line up. Different strokes for different folks.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2015620073449-medium.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-dsc076071-medium.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
If anyone notices the rings coming loose perhaps they would be wise to force a bit of clear Silicone Rubber RTV under the ring(s) and wipe off any excess that may be noticeable on the gauges glass?
I overhead the SVC guys talk about using a strong adhesive approach. I didnt get to watch them do it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
A few weeks back I was in the service station and saw a bike with damaged console. I reminded the service person but haven't got any news as of now. Just now I called the service manager to remind him about it. Hoping for the best. .
They mentioned that this customer has been after them for quite a while and they finally managed to get it off a damaged bike. Keep pushing them. This time also I spotted a red Continental GT that had crashed and was getting worked on. The number of Continental GTs that crash when compared to the number they sell is frankly alarming.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 21st June 2015 at 00:41.
Old 2nd July 2015, 19:47   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Singing in the rain

Its been a quiet couple of weeks on the riding front since my last update on this ownership thread. Despite our on again - off again monsoon season in Bangalore, I have somehow managed to get caught in heavy showers that have left me soaked to the bone each and every single time. Like me, the Continental GT, seems to share a penchant for these few months of the year.

Sometime last week, the rains were so heavy that even cars were either pulling over or driving very slowly with the hazard lights blinking away to glory but the Continental GT soldiered on without even batting an eyelid. No nervousness under braking. No loss of grip. No heightened sense of drama. Nothing. When I reached home I realized that despite the treacherous conditions, I had been riding at a pace higher that what I would have maintained on most other bikes I have ridden which is a fair reflection of the confidence that the Continental GT inspires. It is something that the Continental GT does discreetly though in measures that can be measured in spades.

Honestly, I am quite happy with the way the Continental GT has performed in wet conditions. As happy as Gene Kelly singing (and dancing) in the rain? Not quite. But close enough.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-gene-kelly-medium.jpg

Mileage : The last tank full consisted primarily of city commuting (including some of the worst 1st gear traffic that Bangalore could throw at me) along with some weekend errands. I filled up from Shell Bellandur which never fails to try selling me their more expensive fuel offerings. Distance covered : 224.4 kms. Petrol consumed - 10.14 litres. Mileage - 22.13 kmpl which is the fourth worst mileage achieved in 30 tank ups so far. Given the traffic conditions I encountered, I wont complain about the low numbers.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-2014904224617-medium.jpg
Old 15th July 2015, 18:11   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

6500 km update

Ever since I fitted the Givi windscreen, the headlight has been angled slightly downwards which has reduced the throw & effectiveness of the otherwise excellent lighting. The problem is that the left side of the windscreen is touching the bottom of the left dial which means that the windscreen cannot be moved higher.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p7157762-medium.jpg
Touch me not, I say

Hence the headlight cannot be angled upwards either which is an unexpected challenge. The end result is that I am riding a lot more slowly now in the nights than I was a few months ago. Now I should either get rid of the screen (errrr that's not happening since I paid a bomb & then some to get it, plus it makes the bike look like a million bucks & it makes my riding a lot easier) or work out a alternate solution to my lighting woes. For now, I am planning on fitting LED lights once the one year warranty runs out in a couple of months, thoughts & suggestions are most welcome.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p7157767-medium.jpg
Looks alright, doesnt it?

One very noticeable change in the bike's behaviour over the last couple of weeks has been the difference in the effectiveness of the front braking. I am someone who primarily uses the front disc and it definitely needs a little more effort to bring the bike to a halt. arulpeem had mentioned in his thread that the life of the front brake pads varies from between 3000 to 6000 kms and with my bike at the 6500 km mark, it looks like I will definitely need to get them changed at the next service or even before that.

Now old timers will proudly tell you that Royal Enfield's are supposed to mark their territory with oil leaks and miscellaneous fluids but honestly I'm the type that prefers to have his dogs do the territory marking while the bike refrains from it. The Continental GT doesnt leave tell tale puddles behind, but it has slowly ensured that parts of the right side of the engine guard are covered in oil (?) which is also an unsightly indicator of how long it has been since I've washed the bike.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-p7157760-medium.jpg

Mileage : My daily commute now consists of the stretch from inner ring road to Domlur and then the old airport road to Whitefield which is much less tiring than the Agara to outer ring road to Whitefield commute that I was used to. This hasnt reflected in an increase in mileage though which is a little surprising to me. Yesterday I topped up at a HP COCO pump opposite ISRO, so lets see if the fuel quality had something to do with the lower numbers last time. Distance covered : 214.2 kms. Petrol consumed - 9.94 litres. Mileage - 21.55 kmpl which is the new fourth worst mileage figure ever.

My brother isnt really an automobile enthusiast and has owned a TVS Apache RTR for the last 7 odd years which has served him well (though I could never figure out how to live with that fishtailing rear). He had started looking for an upgrade and had his eyes set on the Thunderbird 350 which looked just about perfect to him. I kept insisting that he check out the Continental GT before making a decision though he was reluctant to given the high sticker price. He finally did take a test ride of the Continental GT from one of Madras's more famous RE showrooms and was flabbergasted by how good the bike was. He couldnt stop raving about the performance, the brakes and most importantly the feel good big grin factor that comes with the bike. In his own words, "It's so easy to get carried away by the Continental GT, it is that awesome".

Despite being massively tempted to book one on the same day, he is listening to the voice of reason and taking time to evaluate other options in the Rs 1,00,000 to 2,00,000 price range before he buys his next bike. He was saying that (as an average Joe) he never even knew that the Continental GT offered all this and that RE have really done a shoddy job with their advertising & marketing. I will have to agree with him on that one & it really is the one area where RE have really dropped the ball with the Continental GT. Of course one could argue that REs sell themselves, given their history and product base but with a different bike like the GT they needed to get more people walking into their showrooms to experience the top notch offering they have. Until they correct their marketing strategy, I am afraid our roads will just not have enough Continental GTs. Sigh!

Most Viewed