Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2014, 20:31   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankursharma View Post
Finally some action in team bhp on continental GT.
Congratulations for the cafe racer. I hope you must be enjoying every bit of it. I got my yellow gt a month back. Will post a review soon. Till then a pic with its youngest fan , my son!
I really dont know how but I totally missed your ankursharma, I think because you posted a few minutes before my first post on page 5 of my thread I never saw it till today. Apologies. Awaiting your ownership thread. Please think about getting the rear grab handle added onto your bike, I feel it adds to the safety factor for the pillion immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
I don't know really know about if they've done Pulsars or Ghost Ryderz.But they are doing custom paint work on the beautiful Ducati Panigale 1199 R currently.
I just looked them up on FB, they seem to be doing excellent work. Here is picture of the work that they have done on a yellow GT.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-10355530_682721891808551_2294567591795918888_o-medium.jpg
Sweet dreams are made of this
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 18:16   #77
BHPian

Re: Captain GT and the Hunt for the Pillion Seat Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Since the Royal Enfield service center on Banarghetta Road did not have the pillion grab handle (they call it a seat ring IIRC)

Weight: The Continental GT might be Royal Enfield's lightest bike but it feels like a whale when I am wrestling with it while trying to back it up. I have not fully learnt the technique of using the side grab handle (picture below) while trying to reverse the bike in a parking lot. No rear grab handle only makes this activity more difficult than it needs to be.

Attachment 1297972
No bottle opener, this
Hi I have a suggestion on the grab handle: It is now positioned vertically. If you can twist 90 degrees anti clock wise then it will be in a horizontal position. When pulling the bike it grab the handle with your palm facing out ward. That should make it much easier to apply your weight either forward or backward as suggested by BOV.
arulpeem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 11:52   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Captain GT and the Hunt for the Pillion Seat Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi I have a suggestion on the grab handle: It is now positioned vertically. If you can twist 90 degrees anti clock wise then it will be in a horizontal position. When pulling the bike it grab the handle with your palm facing out ward. That should make it much easier to apply your weight either forward or backward as suggested by BOV.
Thanks Arul, that was the technique I had tried earlier but I wasnt able to get the right leverage. Or maybe I am not as strong as I think I am! Fortunately with the rear grab handle, the pillion can now lend a helping hand while reversing the bike.
Old 24th October 2014, 13:28   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Mileage and braking updates

It's time to update the thread with a couple of developments on the mileage and braking front.

Mileage : My daily commute involves at least 20 - 30% of first gear crawling and the mileage from a recent last tank was a fair reflection of this. Distance covered - 122.3 kms. Petrol consumed - 6.15 liters. Mileage for this tank full - 19.89 kmpl. That dismal number is the lowest I have ever recorded in twelve years on two wheels!

I have only filled petrol from the Shell pump in Bellandur since day one, so I knew fuel quality wasn't suspect. To check that there wasnt anything wrong with the bike, I took it for a long 120 odd km highway ride while varying speeds between 70 - 100 kmph and then commuted to office the next day before tanking up. Distance covered - 159.3 kms. Petrol consumed - 5.19 liters. Mileage for this tank full - 30.69 kmpl. Average mileage since day one - 26.42 kmpl.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20141019132947-medium.jpg
Life is an open road, it's the best story never told ....

The mileage figures I have recorded since day one are - 23.31, 26.44, 32.73, 26.76, 19.89 and 30.69 kmpl. The two above 30 kmpl figures were achieved only because I did highway runs and stretched its sprinter legs to 100 kmph. With only in city riding, average mileage since day one is 24.25 kmpl which I can easily live with, though there are often days when I stare at the ridiculous traffic jam I am in and wonder what if I had got myself an automatic scooter!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20141019133544-medium.jpg
Yellow yellow, dirty fellow !

Braking : With the recent rains in Bangalore, the bike was rather dirty and with all the puddle wading, it was time to clean and lube the chain. While rotating the rear wheel I could hear a noticeably loud and clear krrrr noise which sounded like an old knife grinder sharpening the kitchen knives at a distance. Suspecting the rear disc was rubbing against the plate, I took it to the Banarghetta SVC yest which had fewer vehicles on account of the holidays. The first SA took a test ride and admitted there was a noise which he suspected to be the bearings or the disc. I pointed out to the senior SA and mechanic that the disc was really hot after he took a test ride but he felt it was more to do with the dirt on the disc causing the grinding. A long wait for the bike to get washed and scrubbed ensued and after that the sound was definitely much lower in volume and barely noticeable. The senior SA asked me to ride if for a day or two and check if the problem persists. On the plus side, the good folks at the SVC threw in a free wash and checked the bike without any charges. However I really should start carrying a book each time I go there cause everything takes its own sweet time.

I rode the bike around slowly for some time in the rain without using the rear brakes but couldnt find the disc heating up at all. Then again the rains and water could have had a cooling effect on the disc and negated any slow heat build up. I will update the thread with my findings.

I spotted a couple of Continental GTs at the SVC including one which had a nicely padded double seat. Here is a picture of the same. Pardon the terrible sense of humour scattered throughout this ownership thread.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20141023112544-medium.jpg
Seat to believe it ....
Old 14th November 2014, 06:30   #80

Quote:

I started doing some online research on RRP's offering which is when things started getting interesting. On the 28th of August they have posted the photo which you have shared of the Continental GT with a megaphone exhaust (though they have listed it as a prototype). I found a video on Youtube which had a yellow GT with a different exhaust from RRP. RRP has posted the same on their facebook page on the 8th.

I will call them up this week to find out more.
Hi Neil, I own a red GT and stay around marathahalli too, never saw you on the ring road or would have chased and stopped you for a chai and chat .
I liked the yellow one initially before purchase, but then I was ok with red too, so when i got it from Calicut around half a month from booking, i took it. And now after i saw some yellow GTs on the road, I have a question, does the paint job show any dulling? Coz i remember seeing one that looked significantly lighter than usual, or could it have been my eyes?

And I had to ask you, how does the pillion seat feel after a bit of riding? I tested it out when i was planning to get one and felt the padding was too thin, seeing I have kinda slim buttocks(not being humorous now ) I felt it was very hard. So i got an aftermarket one which had thicker padding. But I'm looking for a rear grab handle too, seeing the pull can easily unseat the pillion when we're trying to get off the traffic in a jiffy. It looks good on yours. So i guess I'll get the same ones too.

I definitely shared your thoughts on the RVMs by the way, entirely useless. I tried the bar end ones from Calicut while getting the bike, and din't find them very useful either. The vibration does affect it a bit, but moreover I felt it was too small to be very useful. I ended up getting the Classics pair for mine. The silver actually goes along better with all the aluminium shades too. Will post pics if need be

Anyway, any progress on the exhaust hunt? I'm looking as well to change my stock ones. Way too silent.
The KR puram outlet folk told me about the offroad exhaust, but the guy warned me that the sound/performance boost is not much to make a significant difference. Didn't see much good word on the street about it in the forums either.

Anyway, from watching the videos I liked the WB more the Red Rooster. The sound feels a lot more impressive though I dare say WB wont be providing the kind of performance boost that RR might. Anyway I'm not looking to void my warranty either, so a wait for the rest 7k KMs it is. Do update on the current situation, seeing its been a while after your last post. Eager for more pics and detailed developments. And how about a ride to Kerala later on
..nirmal
Old 14th November 2014, 20:19   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of quick updates on the topics I posted last time

Mileage : Yet another tankful of non peak hour in city riding resulted in a mileage of 23.7 kmpl. Overall mileage since day one is a shade over 26 kmpl. Whenever I am at the front of the line at a red light, I take off like my proverbial tail was on fire if and only if I have a nice wide empty road in front of me. It's how I used to ride my R15, the only difference being here I upshift with 4k on the tachometer. I guess old habits die hard

Rear brake : I still get a slight grinding sound from the rear brake while rotating the rear wheel when propped up on the centre stand / riding which I find disconcerting but it isnt loud and the rear disc isnt heating up either. So I guess I will just have to learn to live with the sound. Sigh! All part of the RE experience .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirmal_vallatha View Post
And how about a ride to Kerala later on
..nirmal
Hey Nirmal, welcome to the club! I am sure that the Continental GT will bring a smile to your face every time you take it out for a ride. Are you running it in as per the owners manual or the motoman method? Thanks to the infamous ITPL traffic I have been trying to avoid going to my office there which has decreased my rides through Marthahalli. So far I havent noticed any paint fading on my bike or any of the other red Continental GTs either. So fingers crossed!

I havent tried sitting on the back seat yet so Im not sure how it feels but yeah the seat does look a little narrow. I only had one ride with a pillion after getting the rear grab handle on, turns out there only is a small price to pay for unshakeable peace of mind. I wouldnt want to be a pillion rider on any bike that doesnt have a grab handle, I am always afraid I will slide right off and land on my backside! That said, I'de be terrified if I had to sit as a pillion on the new RCs from KTM.

Can you share pictures of your bike with the Classic's RVMs? Im sure it would match the grey levers quite well. Speaking of levers I will most probably go in for new levers soon, I was thinking of black ones which will be the first step towards un-greying my bike. As for the exhausts, I have decided to keep it stock even if it is quiet.

My plans for riding to Kerala are on hold based on the current condition of roads in Palakkad. To give credit where credit is due, the state government is finally widening the highways but right now Palakkad and the Palakkad - Trichur stretch are frankly not in bikeable condition. Hats off to local folks who must inhale tons of dust every singe day. Once the roads are ready, it will become too easy though!
Old 23rd November 2014, 03:34   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not too far off from the 90 day mark of ownership and I plan to get my bike serviced at the same RE SVC at Banarghetta Road next week. I thought I'll update this thread with recent developments and a few observations thrown in for good measure.

RC Book : I still havent received it and I'm starting to get a little concerned now. I need to call the showroom guys next week and ask them if they have any updates and how long it usually takes.

Modifications : My plans for getting racy new adjustable levers in black for the Captain ended up in disappointment as AutoQueen doesnt stock any that fit the bike. I picked up a really nice blue set for my brother's new all black Pulsar NS 200, his bike will grab more than a few eyeballs for sure.

Braking : The disc at the back is still touching the brake pad which causes a slight buzzing sound. Getting rid of it is my number one priority for the next service. Also the pedal size for the rear brake isnt to my liking. Since I do not ride with my foot placed on the brake pedal, several of my attempts at using the rear brake have resulted in the big toe area of my right foot pressing down and slipping right off. I also might ask them to bleed the front brake at the next service, if its not on the laundry list. The sharpness that the brakes had when they were new seems to have ebbed a bit though braking is still confidence inspiring and not prayer conjuring.

Tyres : They just quietly go about doing a really good job day in and day out and never throw their hands up in helplessness. Probably the most under appreciated aspect of this bike.

Suspension : On bouncy roads, I wish the rear isnt as softly set up as what it is. It works well on normal roads for regular usage, its just that if I dont slow down on bouncy roads, the rear seems to be less composed than the front. I'm no expert though.

Mileage : With limited usage this month, I only tanked up today after filling up at the beginning of the month. Mileage for this tankful : 26.05 kmpl and overall mileage since day one is 26.03 kmpl. One thing I have realized is that at Shell they ask you to get off the bike and then fill up when the bike is on the side stand. I get the feeling that every top up is actually not a 'perfect' top up as different attendants fills up to slightly different levels (giving that its leaning). Obviously it wont be a significant difference but some fill to the brim while others leave some space so there is a difference each time. It was a lot easier when I would fill up my R15 while sitting on it as I knew at what exact point I would want them to stop and then fill it to the next nearest ten rupee. Any thoughts?

Seating : My mind might be playing tricks on this one but I feel the stock seat is more comfortable than the extended double seat. Someday I will pull out the old seat and compare it side by side with the new one and see if I can spot any differences in the width and / or padding.

Exhaust : I was content with my decision to stay on the stock exhaust but that was only until I pulled up next to a Trichur registered Harley Davidson Fat Bob (?) in Koramangala tonight. That oh so heavenly rumble at idle, sigh! I could barely hear my Continental GT that was idling as well.

I try to commute through non peak hour traffic and on good days, the Continental GT can make for really brisk progress through light traffic on outer ring road with only the well ridden Dukes really pulling away and disappearing into the distance. Ive noticed quite a few Classics and TBs ply on my commute route but almost all of the riders prefer cruising while I happily ride the GT in the style that the R15 encouraged - hard on the throttle.

I am not sure where I read a Bond comparison recently but it does seem apt for the affordable performance motorcycle segment in India. The Suzuki Inazuma is like Pierce Brosnan - smooth, sophisticated and elegant but not the James Bond that the world wanted though his work was appreciated years later. The Duke 390 is like Sean Connery - devilishly charming with a timeless charisma that made him the James Bond and the perennial favourite of both avid and causal fans of the series. The Continental GT is like Daniel Craig - an unpopular choice but one that has proven to be surprisingly versatile and memorable but most importantly, one that brought a new found glory to the fading 007 legacy.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:32   #83
BHPian

Quote:

RC Book : I still havent received it and I'm starting to get a little concerned now.

Braking : Also the pedal size for the rear brake isnt to my liking.

Suspension : I wish the rear isnt as softly set up as what it is.

Mileage : Mileage for this tankful : 26.05 kmpl and overall mileage since day one is 26.03 kmpl.

Seating : My mind might be playing tricks on this one but I feel the stock seat is more comfortable than the extended double seat.

The Continental GT is like Daniel Craig - an unpopular choice but one that has proven to be surprisingly versatile and memorable but most importantly, one that brought a new found glory to the fading 007 legacy.
-RC Book:Almost three months is definitely a long wait. You need to push the dealers and get it soon.
-Braking: You are right about the rear brake pedal. I have to be very conscious when applying the rear brake. But with usage I am getting more familiar and I am missing it less often.
-Suspension: Did you try adjusting the rear shocks pre load? It is pretty easy and I could turn them with bare hands. Just be sure to turn the same amount on both sides so that the load is equal.
-Mileage: 26 Kmpl is pretty consistent. My riding has been mostly on the highways and haven't done only city riding in between tank fills. I think the difference arising out of the tilted bike shouldn't be much and when you look at the mileage cumulatively it should not make any difference
-Seating: I fully agree with you. I did my yesterday's ride with the stock single seat and my bottom felt much better.

I like the Daniel Craig comparison.
Old 26th November 2014, 02:09   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

As grin inducing as the Continental GT is, commuting twice a week to my company's offices in ITPL is a major pain as anyone who has encountered the stationary vehicles there will testify to. Riding the Continental GT while carrying my work laptop (fortunately a lightweight one), in a dual strap bag for two hours a day always leads to sore shoulders and exhaustion. Of course, this has nothing to do with the Continental GT and outside of a scooter, I would have undoubtedly faced this problem irrespective of my choice of motorcycle.

I decided to give public transport a try and it was such a relief to not reach my destination tired and annoyed that I will start using the AC Volvo buses more often. However I was wondering about using a tank bag for carrying my laptop on the remaining work days but I am worried about

- physically damaging the laptop due to the bike's DNA vibrations and impact transmitted from the frequent road imperfections
- the magnets creating issues with the laptop

I own a Cramster tank bag that I've been using for the last few years but it has magnets which eliminates it straight away. The Rynox Optimus Non Magnet tank bag will avoid that headache but I am not sure how best to avoid the physical damage issue. Any suggestions on what I can put between the base of the tank bag and the laptop? Magazines? I have used new Gatorade bottles while touring and this has worked very well for me on long trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
-RC Book:Almost three months is definitely a long wait. You need to push the dealers and get it soon.
-Braking: You are right about the rear brake pedal. I have to be very conscious when applying the rear brake. But with usage I am getting more familiar and I am missing it less often.
-Suspension: Did you try adjusting the rear shocks pre load? It is pretty easy and I could turn them with bare hands. Just be sure to turn the same amount on both sides so that the load is equal.
-Mileage: 26 Kmpl is pretty consistent. My riding has been mostly on the highways and haven't done only city riding in between tank fills. I think the difference arising out of the tilted bike shouldn't be much and when you look at the mileage cumulatively it should not make any difference
-Seating: I fully agree with you. I did my yesterday's ride with the stock single seat and my bottom felt much better.

I like the Daniel Craig comparison.
My brother just received the RC for his NS200 through speed post in less than 45 days. In Bangalore. I have checked with my landlord who stays in the same building, he has confirmed that he hasnt collected it so I will chase the showroom guys tomorrow. I'm thinking I probably should go to my post office as well and check.

On the rear suspension, the last time I was at the RE SVC I told them that I wasnt too happy about it and the Service Advisor manually turned one of them by a couple of rotations IIRC and when he tried it on the other side he was able to do only half a turn. And left it like that. When I asked him about the two sides having to be equally adjusted, he went back and undid the additional rotations on the first side. All part of the RE ownership experience .....
Old 26th November 2014, 03:00   #85
BHPian

Quote:
I own a Cramster tank bag that I've been using for the last few years but it has magnets which eliminates it straight away. The Rynox Optimus Non Magnet tank bag will avoid that headache but I am not sure how best to avoid the physical damage issue. Any suggestions on what I can put between the base of the tank bag and the laptop? Magazines? I have used new Gatorade bottles while touring and this has worked very well for me on long trips.

When I asked him about the two sides having to be equally adjusted, he went back and undid the additional rotations on the first side. All part of the RE ownership experience .....
Bubble wrap will be the best option but you have likely discounted that due to not having any around ( If you shop online often , save the bubble wrap packaging , they come in handy when you least expect them though make sure kids don't burst them ). In that case I will wrap it with a towel .

Based on my flying experience during college days , I used to be concerned about the laptop being damaged by the massive shocks suffered during landing but it survived . The number of times I flew lead me to believe laptops have a fair tolerance for physical shock . However sustained shuddering and juddering is something best avoided so thick towel or bubble wrap will be my preferred solution .

Another thing you can do( this is just a theory , I have never tried this or seen it for that matter ) , purchase thermocol balls(by balls I mean the small beads arts and crafts store sell , not sure what they are called ) and then stuff them in a thin plastic pouch (for example the ones that an under shirt vests is packaged in from certain brands ) evenly and place this "bedding" between the laptop and the bag . I am not sure how or why that came in my head . Towel is probably the less crazy option .

On the suspension adjustment experience , LOL
Old 27th November 2014, 21:27   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

2nd Service Update

I'm afraid Ive got some bad news .....

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20141127094027-large.jpg

.... for the owners of these two bikes. The spare parts for your GTs still haven't arrived. Sorry, I couldn't resist the Wade Barrett swerve !

One thing I have noticed is that there always are 2 - 3 Continental GTs that have crashed and are lying ignored at the RE Banarghetta Road SVC due to non availability of parts. Dented tanks, loosely hanging foot pegs, bent handle bars, cracked meters, a thick layer of dust and the odd spiderweb make for quite a painful sight indeed. With the bike's sales not really taking off, non-availability of spare parts is obviously causing inordinate delays and I can only wonder how annoying it is for owners to have to wait like this.

There isnt really too much to be done at the second service, its more of a general check up with the odd top up and adjustment. The two main issues I had were the rear brake rubbing the pad and the need for firming up of the rear suspension. Again I reached there before 9 and asked if they could finish the work in the first half as I would be sitting there in the customer reception area. They brought it in along with the other bikes of owners who were waiting but progress was slow.

Time wise they took even longer as compared to the first service (though the activities were less - no oil change etc) and when one of the SA took the bike for a test ride he found some sound coming from the chain area which meant they had to go back and tighten different bits to ensure it wasnt making a TUK TUK sound any more. Honestly I hadnt even noticed it as I just assumed it was part of the RE clatter.

After that I had to get them to re-check the rear brake sound which was still there and back it went for the rear disc to be aligned properly. It was clearly written on the job card. Sigh! All part of the RE ownership experience. Washing the bikes causes the biggest bottleneck so I asked them not to put it in the long queue though they offered to jump the line and get it done quickly. Last time I was here it took them quite a while to wash the bike thoroughly even though there were few bikes, so once bitten, twice shy.

The total cost for consumables came to Rs 112. The folks at the SVC are knowledgeable, hard working and very friendly but again, just watching them for some time makes me wonder how much faster they could wind up every day if they worked more efficiently. So many times, a bit of work would be done on my bike and the mechanic would get pulled into something else and then my bike would be unattended for quite some time. Any operations guy would have his blood boiling just by watching them for half an hour. Or even less. If you are planning on getting your bike serviced there it would help to keep an eye out on your bike and helpfully ask the SA if things were completed once in a while to keep things moving. Overall a very pleasant experience though I wish they could speed things up a bit.

While I was there I was talking to a fellow Continental GT owner who said his only grouse against the bike was the tyres. He found them to lack grip if the road had gravel on it / just after a rain and was thinking about going in for knobbly tires once the current set wore out. Interesting feedback though I have had a very good experience with the tyres.

There was a very eye catching (and equally illegal) military green Cochin registered Classic 500.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20141127101747-large.jpg
To borrow a quote from the NWO - Just too sweet

I stopped by the post office as well and they remember sending the RC book back to the RTO since there was no one at home to pick it up! I need to go to the RTO and get the tracking number which I then need to give the post office team so that they can track it from their end. They helpfully gave me a phone number so that I dont need to make another visit to them but I think I will go there nonetheless. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Bubble wrap will be the best option but you have likely discounted that due to not having any around ( If you shop online often , save the bubble wrap packaging , they come in handy when you least expect them though make sure kids don't burst them ). In that case I will wrap it with a towel .
I've bought a ton of stuff online and have kept quite a bit of bubble wrap tucked away for a rainy day. It looks like all that hoarding has finally paid off! Im not too sure about the towel idea, I dont think it will be able to absorb any impact.
Old 27th November 2014, 23:56   #87
e46
BHPian

Late entrant to the fanfare, sorry.

COngrats Neil. Get rid of that single piece seat please. It goes contrary to the very cafe racer theme.

ride safe,
Abhishek //M
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:46   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Mileage - This is possibly the most puzzling aspect of the bike, with in-city usage it fluctuates between 19.89 KMPL and 26.76 KMPL. Last weekend the fuel level started blinking at 200 kms itself and I had to nurse it to the IOCL petrol pump in HSR Layout on Sunday night. Total distance covered - 218 kms. Total consumption - 10.58 litres. Mileage - 20.60 KMPL. This dropped overall mileage since day one down to 25.22 KMPL.

I have been doing all the riding, except for the test rides the SAs took during the second service to check everything. The bike is being ridden hard for sure and its at speeds upto 80 to 90 Kmph but the drop in mileage is surprising.

Tyres - A couple of days after the service, I was taking off from a signal that had sand and loose gravel swept to the side of the road where I was waiting and I could feel the rear end wriggling around a bit before it regained its composure. Maybe the guy I met in the SVC was onto something after all when he said he wanted to get knobbly tires.

RC Book - With 90 days of ownership without the RC book almost on me, I went to the Koramangala RTO last week to find the tracking number to give the post office. Strangely I was given incorrect information by some of the staff there when I was trying to locate the right officials but I finally found the Records Room (#14). I had forgotten to carry the original temporary RC slip and so I went back to collect it. After returning with the slip, I was unnecessarily bounced to another office which promptly sent me right back and I was then asked to wait for some time. The assistant there eventually told me to keep some 'thing' ready to be given if I wanted to get the details but I made no effort to do so. On following up I was told to come back this week. I was really frustrated because I knew it was just a matter of looking at the book that was on the table and checking the RC details and tracking number.

This week they were more obliging and after making me wait for a short while I was told that the delay was from the RTO side as they had just received my card and not mailed it across. They said they will send it through speed post but since I was travelling I wouldnt be around to collect it. More importantly I would have been crossing 90 days and I didnt want to use the bike without the necessary papers. Of course the flexibility to collect it from there itself wasnt covered by my tax payments in the form of government salaries.

I have reached out to different friends and have heard varied experiences from all of them on the Koramangala RTO. One did not get the RC through the postal service and had to go through an agent that charged him Rs 1500. Another lost his RC card and avoiding agents, got the replacement in 2 hours himself for RS 282. Ask enough people though and you will hear one common story - the Koramangala RTO is one of the most corrupt government offices in the state.

One interesting point that a friend shared was that if there is a delay in receiving the RC, one can approach the RTO to sign a letter that states the same which you can use as proof (in case you are caught) till the actual RC arrives. I tried looking it up but couldnt find anything specific so Im not sure if it is technically permitted. There's a lesson to be learnt in all this, dont wait till the end of your 90 day period to find out what happened to your RC.

Anyways, here's a not too great picture of the bike in front of everyone's favourite clown. I really should take more pictures of the bike.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-20141201233410-large.jpg
Is it just me or does RMcD look a little scary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Late entrant to the fanfare, sorry.

COngrats Neil. Get rid of that single piece seat please. It goes contrary to the very cafe racer theme.

ride safe,
Abhishek //M
Thanks e46, I wish I had the luxury to do that. My fiance might have a thing or two to say about your suggestion
Old 15th December 2014, 19:35   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

I noticed a sign on an empty building on Hosur road which seems to indicate that Royal Enfield is opening up a showroom there soon. While travelling towards Silk Board, it is just before Dakshin Honda on the opposite side of the road. If it is true, it is really good news for a whole load of bikers who work in EC who will soon have a service centre nearby. Plus it makes buying a RE a whole lot easier for folks in the area.

I am not someone who uses the horn while I'm on my bike, I probably resort to using the horn once every two months or even less often than that. Last week though, a bunch of Bangalore's finest morons decided to test my riding skills every few minutes and I was forced to use the horn 5 - 6 times to get their attention and avoid trouble. And boy oh boy, do those horns do their job really well! Full marks to RE for not skimping on them. Compared to the piddly squeaky R15 horn that I was used to for years, this comes as a revelation!
Old 19th December 2014, 17:36   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Mileage: I filled up 10.79 litres with the reading at 255 kms to get a mileage of 23.63 kmpl. Mileage since day one has dropped marginally to 25.01 kmpl.

While filling up at a trusted IOCL pump in HSR Layout, the attendant stopped when it had taken only 7.5 litres thinking the tank was close to being full. I told him to keep filling and it took another 3+ litres!

Niggles : The continuous amazon forest insect noise (even without applying the brakes) was still around after the last service and I had begun to suspect that it was from the front brake and not the rear. Since the service there has been a slight squeaking noise coming from the rear as well which used to disappear a few minutes into riding the bike. Today though the rear squeaking persisted and I went to the Banarghetta service centre by around 12:30 to get it checked. The number of bikes was the lowest I have seen there and after a quick test ride the SA was able to identify the sounds but wanted me to come another day citing the amount of time it would take to adjust the front disc. I pushed them to do it today itself since I knew it wouldnt be too time consuming and the SA finally agreed to do hand it over later in the day.

Expecting a wait of a few hours, I sat down and started typing out some emails but to my pleasant surprise they completed the work within 20 minutes. The insect noise was coming from the front disc as expected and the squeaking noise was courtesy the rear disc. The amazon experience is 99% gone which is a big relief. Overall good, quick service though they should've identified the source of the rain forest sound at the previous service itself and fixed the problem. Looking forward to a niggle free experience now that Í've crossed the 2k mark.

Most Viewed