Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2015, 13:31   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
Hi Neil,

Do you mind posting a close-up picture of the upper part of your fuel tank. I am interested in looking at the finishing of the fuel tank crimp near the handle.

I have booked Yellow Continental GT, the dealer has offered me a bike. While doing a PDI I noticed that the finishing at the upper tank crimp was a bit lacking. I could make out the uneven crimp/weld on this bike, where as on another red model he had for delivery it was smooth. Other than this everything else on the bike looked good. The dealer said such things happen with RE sometimes

I have asked him to hold-on for couple of days. Would appreciate your help to make up my mind
As the saying goes, ask and you shall receive. For the benefit of others, Im posting pictures of the welding all across the bike.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-left-front-2.jpg
Left Front

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-left-side.jpg
Left Side

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-left-rear.jpg
Left Rear (Not the best work from RE)

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-right-front-2.jpg
Right Front

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-right-f-side.jpg
Right Side

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-right-rear.jpg
Right Rear

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-top.jpg
Top View

I'm clearly no expert but if it is just the welding that is bothering you, I would say dont worry about it and take the bike you checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Classic Fiber can probably make a cowl like that.
Classic Fiber
Adding link to his Half Fairing album
Great share, I wish I had known of these guys earlier. I just placed an order for the Hitchcock's visor.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 14:13   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
As the saying goes, ask and you shall receive. For the benefit of others, Im posting pictures of the welding all across the bike.

I'm clearly no expert but if it is just the welding that is bothering you, I would say dont worry about it and take the bike you checked.

Great share, I wish I had known of these guys earlier. I just placed an order for the Hitchcock's visor.
Thanks for the pictures Neil. I am going to bother you one more time. In the last image (Top View), instead of focusing on the chassis, could you focus on the tank (focus on the tank edge). I am interested in the finish of the tank edge. In the bike that I PDI'ed the finish there was similar to the finish of the tank edge (crimped portion) in second picture captioned "left side". You can see the crimp through the yellow paint, the finish is not smooth. In the other red bike I had checked the finish of red paint on the top was smooth, the lower edges of the tank were rough and similar to your picture "left side".

Let me know if you think I am being unreasonable about the finish
Old 8th February 2015, 15:39   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures Neil. I am going to bother you one more time. In the last image (Top View), instead of focusing on the chassis, could you focus on the tank (focus on the tank edge). I am interested in the finish of the tank edge. In the bike that I PDI'ed the finish there was similar to the finish of the tank edge (crimped portion) in second picture captioned "left side". You can see the crimp through the yellow paint, the finish is not smooth. In the other red bike I had checked the finish of red paint on the top was smooth, the lower edges of the tank were rough and similar to your picture "left side".

Let me know if you think I am being unreasonable about the finish
There go my plans of a lazy Sunday afternoon watching Messrs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Katsuyori Shibata and the others at New Japan Pro Wrestling doing what they do best. So here are some close ups of the crimp starting from the right side and moving along the edges to the left.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-right-bottom-large.jpg
Right Side Bottom (shame on all you dirty minds!)

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-right-side-large.jpg
Right Side Front 3/4 View

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-right-close-side-large.jpg
Right Side Front Close Up

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-right-neck-2-large.jpg
Right Side Top View

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-top-large.jpg
Centre Top View

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-left-close-side-large.jpg
Left Side Close Up

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-left-side-front-large.jpg
Left Side Front Lower View

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-left-side-mid-large.jpg
Left Side Middle

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-left-bottom-large.jpg
Left Side Bottom (get your dirty minds out of the gutter!)

I would'nt worry about the finish of these edges. If the welding seemed off I would take a closer look. Nobody is going to question your decision of buying the Continental GT based on the finish of the tank's edges. And congratulation's on your upcoming purchase, I hope you will put up an ownership thread. May the tribe continue to increase.
Old 8th February 2015, 17:05   #124
BHPian

Quote:
There go my plans of a lazy Sunday afternoon watching Messrs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Katsuyori Shibata and the others at New Japan Pro Wrestling doing what they do best.
Thanks a lot Neil! The bike I PDI'ed had similar finish to yours, not an anomaly then.

For your great sacrifice, I owe you lunch . Will surely look you up next time I am in Bangalore.

Never thought I would own a bull. Enfield was never for me, but one ride of Continental GT and now I am a believer! Looking forward to getting back on the saddle after six long years.
Old 8th February 2015, 18:11   #125
BHPian

Neil, with regard to the RVMs, have you ever thought of going with the chrome ones that come with the Classics? I reckon they'll give an extra dosage of the retro charm that already exists in the Captain.
Old 8th February 2015, 18:30   #126
BHPian

IMO, the classic rvms would look outta place on the gt since it is quite large and clunky, would lose that sleek look.Bar end would look the best.And no, not the bar ends that we get here.

Sigh, if only we had access to quality custom parts in India like in US/EU.

Regards

BOV
Old 8th February 2015, 19:00   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
IBar end would look the best.And no, not the bar ends that we get here.
I'd agree with this. Seen a couple of GTs with bar ends and it looks massively odd. Hardly any clear view, not to forget the vibrations.
Old 9th February 2015, 13:37   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

I received an invitation email from the RE company showroom in Jayanagar for a trip to Shevaroy Hills on the 21st and 22nd of February. The ride includes accommodation on a sharing basis (I assume two in a room), breakfast and lunch on both days as well as dinner on the 21st. Total cost is Rs 1700 which seems quite reasonable. Is anyone else planning on joining the company ride?

Quote:
Never thought I would own a bull. Enfield was never for me, but one ride of Continental GT and now I am a believer! Looking forward to getting back on the saddle after six long years.
Once again welcome to the club, looking forward to your ownership thread. It will be interesting to get a biker's perspective of getting back to riding after so many years. I, for one, would be most keen on hearing what your tipping point was - the one thing that made you decide it was time to return to the world of two wheelers and what it was about the Continental GT that made you decide this is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Neil, with regard to the RVMs, have you ever thought of going with the chrome ones that come with the Classics? I reckon they'll give an extra dosage of the retro charm that already exists in the Captain.
Well if they do magically provide nice clear rear visibility I would think of picking them up. I am pretty sure they wont be able to though

Quote:
IMO, the classic rvms would look outta place on the gt since it is quite large and clunky, would lose that sleek look.Bar end would look the best.And no, not the bar ends that we get here.

Sigh, if only we had access to quality custom parts in India like in US/EU.

Regards

BOV
Incidentally I was watching Tron Legacy which featured the Ducati Sport 1000 which to me always seemed to have mismatched styling (the rear cowl looks like it belongs to a different bike altogether) but the smaller details on the bike grabbed my attention. The bar ends looked swell and the stripe running down the middle are just fantastic. I need to find a good stickering guy in Bangalore sooner rather than later. Oh and if I get that rear light set on the Captain, I would be the happiest biker around.

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-front.jpg
Business just picked up!

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-ducati_sport_1000_2005_17_1024x768.jpg
There I go drooling again ....

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-red.jpg
Any red CGT owners willing to take the plunge?

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-fleda.jpg
Knocks the air out of me faster than a Finn Balor Coupe de grace
Old 9th February 2015, 13:49   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to find a good stickering guy in Bangalore sooner rather than later.
That should look cool! Let me know if you want any pre-execution renderings of your idea!
Old 9th February 2015, 14:54   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Well if they do magically provide nice clear rear visibility I would think of picking them up. I am pretty sure they wont be able to though
Well, as B O V stated, you might have to look at the ones found abroad. There's one that comes as an extra accessory for the Iron 883, and when I happened to ride one fitted with those for a pretty long distance, it offered satisfactory visibility with minimal vibrations. You might want to check it out.
Old 9th February 2015, 17:30   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
That should look cool! Let me know if you want any pre-execution renderings of your idea!
Believe it or not but I was thinking of your RX135 cafe racer concept while looking at pictures of the Ducati. I think I'll stick to the same thick centre stripe flanked by a thin stripe on either side.

Quote:
Well, as B O V stated, you might have to look at the ones found abroad. There's one that comes as an extra accessory for the Iron 883, and when I happened to ride one fitted with those for a pretty long distance, it offered satisfactory visibility with minimal vibrations. You might want to check it out.
I would rather stick to a Continental GT after market offering and that too one that has been reviewed and approved. BTW will your helmet stickering guy be able to make the tank stripes?
Old 9th February 2015, 18:37   #132
BHPian

Quote:
I would rather stick to a Continental GT after market offering and that too one that has been reviewed and approved. BTW will your helmet stickering guy be able to make the tank stripes?
Good luck with that, mate.
He's not 'my' helmet stickering guy. I just happened to get my helmet done from him and he's pretty good at it. Shall enquire for you.
Old 9th February 2015, 18:44   #133
BHPian

That rear stripey tail light with indicators,bar ends are all available on the online stores. I've seen 'em all. If you want continental gt specific parts,I doubt you'd get em. Parts like rvm's and taillamps are all universal fits and can be retrofitted to anything really.

Actually I was going to suggest another place for attaching the rear view mirror, but refrained from it since it wasn't a factory setup.

The image below has what I had in mind, beautiful isn't it

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 : Ownership Review (32,000 km and 9 years)-053697a1e2820aa30362925624f22be7.jpg

Incidentally, I plan to do some of the ideas as seen in the image above on my motorcycle. Collecting spares right now.

Regards

BOV

Last edited by B O V : 9th February 2015 at 18:45.
Old 9th February 2015, 20:40   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good luck with that, mate.
He's not 'my' helmet stickering guy. I just happened to get my helmet done from him and he's pretty good at it. Shall enquire for you.
Tomato, tomahto buddy. I remember you telling me you were quite happy with his work and I quite liked your helmet. In fact ever since I bought my HJC helmet, I have been thinking of adding reflective bits to improve visibility. How much did he charge for the helmet work?

I had checked on the bike stripes at some shops nearby quite some time ago but the prices quoted were a mix of audacious and atrocious.

Quote:
That rear stripey tail light with indicators,bar ends are all available on the online stores. I've seen 'em all. If you want continental gt specific parts,I doubt you'd get em. Parts like rvm's and taillamps are all universal fits and can be retrofitted to anything really.

Actually I was going to suggest another place for attaching the rear view mirror, but refrained from it since it wasn't a factory setup.
Thanks man, I didnt know they were easily available on the internet. Then again I should've guessed. The next time I am in town, let me see if AQ has it in stock. I also need to figure out how to simplify the rear, time to visit my mechanic and see what he recommends.

Out of curiosity, with the placement of the mirror, do you think visibility will be possible?

Quote:
Incidentally, I plan to do some of the ideas as seen in the image above on my motorcycle. Collecting spares right now.

Regards

BOV
Where are you getting the parts from? Are you planning on doing a custom paint scheme? I'm quite looking forward to the end result.
Old 9th February 2015, 22:05   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Tomato, tomahto buddy. I remember you telling me you were quite happy with his work and I quite liked your helmet. In fact ever since I bought my HJC helmet, I have been thinking of adding reflective bits to improve visibility. How much did he charge for the helmet work?
For everything written and sketched on mine, he charged around 300/-.

Last edited by barcalad : 9th February 2015 at 22:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks