Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2014, 19:16   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S. EDIT: Restoration completed!

Someone said '2' is not a lucky number, so got home my 3rd Yamaha RX

Well, here are my other RX restoration threads
RX135
RXG

I never wanted any more bikes, but a friend of mine had this RX135 lying at his garage unused for almost 1.5 years for 2 reasons.
- Documents got expired in early 2013
- Another bike & car are already a part of his garage

When he decided to sell this machine, fortunately I'm the 1st person came in his mind.

I hope everyone could imagine what should have happened next.

Details:
- 1998 Yamaha RX135 4s
- Black Color
- 2nd owner
- 78k+ on odo (should be genuine)

Bike Condition
- Not sure about the current piston size.
- Engine is running smooth
- Clutch lost it's life
- All electricals working fine except brake light
- Battery dead
- Front Tire (MRF Zapper 80/100 18) left with more than 70% life
- Rear Tire needs immediate attention
- Frame : I lost my hope after removing the seat. It's heavily rusted (decided to get a brand new frame, if my luck works out)

More details and restoration will follow soon

Cheers!
OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S. EDIT: Restoration completed!-img_5455.jpg

Sharing the initial experience after a short run.

The name: RX
Should one have anymore reason to love this bike?
In particular with this bike, it is in a far better condition when compared to my RXG when I bought it (Please do check here RXG)

Powertrain condition
Nothing much to complain about the engine but for some noise from the bore (but I couldn't conclude if it is from the Piston-Bore or the connecting rod) Will open up the engine to understand the current condition (and ofcourse the past history too) The only worry point I have here is we are unaware of the current piston size. I pray it shouldn't be running anything over 0.25 OS (Changing the bore kit is little expensive, but complete peace of mind. Sleeve job is something I'm reluctant to go with)

Gear box is pretty good (one could say this when shifting from 1st or 2nd gear to Neutral) but the worn out clutch spoils the complete fun. Though I have a complete clutch set readily available on hand, I'm not changing them right now until I make a concrete plan on the restoration job.

Dislikes:

Expired documents
This is something keeping me away from the bike. In total I covered less than 20k after I got this bike. Will get the FC done in coming weeks and then take the beast on highways to understand the dynamic performance more in detail.

Cosmetics
Though I'm not more keen towards the cosmetics part, rust & dent on the silencer and rusted frame is a big let down. Other than these two items I could live with all other parts what ever may be the condition of them (aesthetically) Getting a brand new frame is something next to impossible now a days (hopping for some piece of luck)
Had many examples with the brand new silencer assy during my friend's RX restoration. There are plenty of fake / duplicates parts flooded in market with OE packing and the famous among them is the Silencer. In past we tried with a couple of brand new silencers and ended up getting the used ones from old market (New one's doesn't produce the perfect beat that is expected from an RX)

I don't have anything more to add in 'dislikes' as almost all parts will be replaced during the restoration process and ofcourse I got this bike after knowing all these 'dislike' items.

Workdone after purchase
- Water wash
- Chain lubrication

Immediate attention required
Below list is something to be addressed immediately even before the restoration / FC

Rear tire
it is almost bald. Immediate replacement required.

Front forks
I doubt there isn't sufficient oil inside the forks (there is a sign of minor leakage from one of the fork) Also the springs were at the end of their life. Overall stroke seems to be less than the usual (also compared against my other RX)

Headlamp
A known fact OE RX headlamp doesn't throw a decent beam / spread mostly we will go for a reflector change (may be from Swaraj Mazda or DCM Toyota headlamp reflcetors, I did the same in my other RX too) to retain the OE looks. But there are a set of people who settle for TVS XL Super HL and this bike's previous owner is one such example, which spoils the elegant look of RX. Looks apart, one of the filament lost it's life long back. HL bulb to be replaced immediately.

Brakes
I don't call the current condition as below average, but it isn't inspiring.

Coming to the most important part of this thread,
What should I do with this bike?

To be frank, I got this bike without any specific plan. Don't kick me for this, people normally plan something and execute it. But I'm starting from the half way, get the bike, plan and then execute.

Some plans that are running in my mind,
1) Convert this bike to RX100
Couldn't get an RX100, and the wish remains a wish. Why not get it done?
- My mechanic has RX100 bore (0.25 OS) which he is ready to offer me
- I should get a head, piston, connecting rod, crank assy, carburetor, etc
- Cosmetics part, I can transfer from my RXG (thats running with RX100 theme)

2) Convert my RXG to RX135 with parts from this bike
- Started facing jerking issue in my RXG recently

3) Run this bike as it is (with some upgrades and minor repairs) and do performance upgrade when I get time / need / Vitamin-M

Last edited by GTO : 25th September 2014 at 14:31.
Mr.Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 19:23   #2
BHPian

re: OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S. EDIT: Restoration completed!

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2014 at 12:13.
svpatra is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th September 2014, 20:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

@ svpatra, Thank you No concrete plans drafted as of now. I have a long pending wish of having a RX100 (though I had one for a short while) there is something running inside the head to convert this bike to RX100. But not confirmed yet.

Don't want to miss this bike, so without having any plans got it.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2014 at 12:17. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 20th September 2014, 22:28   #4
the-mechanic

3rd one! Damn man, great job. I am going to buy an RX100 next month as well. I'm in two minds whether to keep it stock or go for a custom look. But now looking at your post I am thinking of making it a custom one and buying another one and keeping it stock.
  (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 09:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-mechanic View Post
3rd one! Damn man, great job. I am going to buy an RX100 next month as well. I'm in two minds whether to keep it stock or go for a custom look. But now looking at your post I am thinking of making it a custom one and buying another one and keeping it stock.
Thanks dude.
If you plan to get another RX, I would suggest restore the 1st bike you are getting with Stock specs. Later get the second one, mod it as you wish.
Old 25th September 2014, 14:32   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 16:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you.

Adding some day light snaps

OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S. EDIT: Restoration completed!-img_5449.jpg

OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S. EDIT: Restoration completed!-img_5450.jpg

Fork lock modified
OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S. EDIT: Restoration completed!-img_5458.jpg

OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S. EDIT: Restoration completed!-img_5461.jpg

Something I hate to the core (XL Super Headlamp)
OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S. EDIT: Restoration completed!-img_5462.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 23:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

After some brainstorming, debate and confusion, finally decided something.

This time a Cafe Racer

Yes, a cafe racer this time. Since I already have a couple of RX for daily use (apart from Car which I take to office atleast a couple of days in a week and some weekend trips and long drives) I don't need a commuter bike again. Drag spec is something I'm not very fond of (I'm a sedate driver) and also a strict no-no from Home minister for such a machine.

Finally I wanted something different to experience, ended up with the idea of Cafe racer.

This segment is something very new to me, not even driven once. So this experiment is going to be another learning experience.

PS: Project will be executed during Christmas holidays as I'm bundled with lot of commitments till then, so I'm left with significant time for part collection and more time to think about what to do and understand what not to do
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 12:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

My bad I forgot to update this thread.

With other commitments and another project (Pulsar 150 Classic) I had tough time to touch this bike. Last week we (myself and mechanic) had some leisure time and changed the clutch plates and transmission oil. Power delivery is far better now.

OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S. EDIT: Restoration completed!-img_9881.jpg

OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S. EDIT: Restoration completed!-img_9889.jpg

Hopping to resume the project after the month of April. Let me keep the thread updated.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 14th March 2015 at 12:34.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 17:16   #10
BHPian

Third!!!, I envy you. I am trying to get one since long time but after visiting lots of sellers as well the old bike market, I couldn't find a single RX 135 in a condition that I want and also the price quoted is very high. Anyway, nice write up. Ride safe!
fiesta1.6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 13:41   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta1.6 View Post
I am trying to get one since long time but after visiting lots of sellers as well the old bike market, I couldn't find a single RX 135 in a condition that I want and also the price quoted is very high.
If you really want one for a long term possession, don't mind getting one in scrap condition and restore it (may be in phases if you have some constrains) Gone are those days getting an RX in mint condition at a cheaper price is possible. There are people quoting 60k + for a completely restored bike (stock spec without any performance modifications) and that is a clear day light robbery. I wish you get your dream machine very soon, all the best.

PS: RX135 / RXG is easy to find than RX100 / RXZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta1.6 View Post
Anyway, nice write up. Ride safe!
Thanks for the kind words dear.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 20:10   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any pointers to get expansion chamber in Chennai?
Stock silencer don't gel with cafe racer avatar and thus looking for an alternate solution. Or is it possible to chop-off some portion of the stock silencer?
Old 18th March 2015, 11:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
There are people quoting 60k + for a completely restored bike (stock spec without any performance modifications) and that is a clear day light robbery.
PS: RX135 / RXG is easy to find than RX100 / RXZ.

Congrats on your another bike. Looking forward to loads of pictures. Cool cafe racer it will be.

A mint condition RX 60K is reasonable considering the effort and time gone it to that bike. (considering it has genuine accessories).
I own a RX135 too, which indeed got 2 make overs, still a pleasurable ride.
I bought the bike in 1999 used daily for 5 yrs, clocked 33000km, since then its done only 3000km. I know the cost involved in keeping the bike the same from day one till date. Spent upwards of Rs 1.1 lakh easily.

As you have decided to modify the bike, you should opt to increase the height of the bike by 1/2 inch and a marginally bigger tank too.
Expansion chambers search should indeed start at Pudupettai.
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 11:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am strictly against Café racers on RX series bikes, they look hideous due to their lean structure. Café racers need to have a bulky look, they are heavy road going bikes converted to racers. I have seen many funny café racers and bobbers, before you make a single cut on the chassis make sure your mechanic understands your vision. Get a good chamber made from someone reputed, You need to port the bike for the chambers to work, else all they would do is make noise. if noise is all that you want, then I recommend to pick one up online. I have seen some imported RX king chambers on FB at 3-4k, they were also from Chennai. If I was you, I would have converted my third RX to a RXZ, but that's me. I love RXZs but cannot have another bike in my home(at least legally)

Best of luck with your build, keep the thread updated.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 10:17   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
A mint condition RX 60K is reasonable considering the effort and time gone it to that bike. (considering it has genuine accessories)
If it is a proper restoration with genuine accessories, 60k is very reasonable, but people here are quoting the same for a 'just' painted and plated parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
increase the height of the bike by 1/2 inch and a marginally bigger tank too.
Expansion chambers search should indeed start at Pudupettai.
I'm new (relatively) to the world of RX and I'm bit worried about the chambers from pudupet. Wrong selection may kill the engine. Any reliable source there?

Please clarify, chambers are made matching the engine spec and incase if I go for porting in future, can this chamber be modified or should I go for the new one again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I am strictly against Café racers on RX series bikes, they look hideous due to their lean structure.

If I was you, I would have converted my third RX to a RXZ, but that's me

I'm not modifying the frame extensively, except chopping the excess rear over hang. Any day I can roll back to stock spec with little modification.

Earlier I had the plan to modify one of my RX to RXZ, but many people were against it and I myself experienced the difficulty in getting the body parts for RXZ. I love the looks of RXZ and I'm not sure if I'm blessed to have one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks