Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2006, 15:10   #1
BHPian

bigger sprocket??

does fitting a bigger sprocket to a bike increases its performance (either pick-up or top speed) or is it fake . a mechanic told me abt it . i still doubt it .what do u say guys???
Old 30th July 2006, 16:12   #2
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

A few years back, OVERDRIVE magazine had done an article on this. It does make a difference in performance, depending on how bigger the sprocket is. Bigger sprockets worked more efficiently on the Pulsars than the Karizma; so bike-to-bike it will vary.
Old 30th July 2006, 16:34   #3
BHPian

bigger???

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvit2002
does fitting a bigger sprocket to a bike increases its performance (either pick-up or top speed) or is it fake . a mechanic told me abt it . i still doubt it .what do u say guys???
dude i think its a smaller sprocket not bigger...
because i got the pick in both performance and top end ....
Old 30th July 2006, 20:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

It sprocket ratio you are talking about I think, there is a diffrence obtained when you increase the size of the rear sprocket or decrease the size of the front sprocket, or do it the other way round, the performance varies when you change that ratio.

I was thinking of trying it out on my bike, but later I guess....
Old 30th July 2006, 23:52   #5
BHPian

Sprocketing is not as easy as it seems. Gravit, the stock version of any bike is the best balance that you can get between having a good initial and a good top end. Increasing the sprocket at the rear will give ya more acceleration. So you'd be first off the line. But increasing the rear sprocket to a bigger one will decrease your top end.

Putting a smaller sprocket than stock will increase your top end and decrease your initial (Theory). I say theory 'cos you still have to look at the engine, does it have enough torque to make use of the taller gearing to take you to the theoretical top speed. Unless you have done something to increase the performance of your engine (and I dont' mean, K&N's and upjetting), don't change the sprocket, its just going to be a waste of time.
Old 31st July 2006, 00:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Second Thecockroach on this.If u fix a larger sprocket the intial will increase but mileage will go down and so will be top end.
On the other end fixing a smaller sprocket will slower the accleration,increase the mileage and the top end.The top end will increase only if the engine has enough torque to overcome the resistance at that speed otherwise the top end will decrease to what it was original sprocket.Its better to leave the sprocket to the company fixed one as its a balance between acceleration,mileage and top end.
Old 31st July 2006, 09:03   #7
BHPian

A sprocket change definitely makes difference in performance of even an Indian bike. BIKE INDIA tried the same on a HONDA SHINE and they could shave off a few milliseconds in the 0-60/100 kmph drag.

Bottomline is...it works, although marginal.
Old 31st July 2006, 15:01   #8
BHPian

ALWAYS PLAY WITH COUNTERSHAFT SPROCKET SIZES.
changing rear sprockets is costlier.

eg my RE Bullet
stock 17Teeth = speed 120 speedo
after change
16T better pickup, lower top speed = slightly above 110
18T less pickup, more top end = speed shade over 125 speedo
20T pickup quite horrible with its already lethargic movement, top speed dramatic 130+ speedo.
very big gap with gear ratio as all bullets with 4 speed set up face, the gap even feels wider with bigger CS.

With the 20 on all ghat sections I needed constant downshift to 2nd 3rd could rearely get it to 4th on sections earlier done in 4th with the 16.

If top speed is ur direction sacrificing pickup increase to the biggest CS u can.
going smaller on the rear is not possible as i bet u wount get something smaller than the OEMs.
Old 31st July 2006, 15:34   #9
BHPian

Check this link ... It gives an idea about various combinations of front and rear sproketing.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...hain-sprocket/
Old 31st July 2006, 19:00   #10

where can i get a 14" sprocket for my ZMA in mumbai

outside mumbai lemme know wazzup with it. i'll pay for courier and all.
Old 1st August 2006, 11:37   #11
BHPian

a friend of mine says that his karizma reaches at a top speed of 140kmph and the pickup drop is very slight . a stock karizma takes all of the riders' patience to reach 130 kmph . and well he still gets 35kmpl mileage in city conditions
Old 1st August 2006, 11:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLyn
dude i think its a smaller sprocket not bigger...
because i got the pick in both performance and top end ....
which bike do u have and what change did u got ? any mileage mishaps?

well my idea to do this was becoz i am not that satisfied with my apache's performance . yeah the mileage is good when u ride it sedately but when u kick up the throttle it will kick up ur pocket by a mere 30kmpl . in fact it just loses in straight line drags to both pulsar and unicorn by a a couple of feet distance maybe the fact that i weigh about a 102kgs . that is making me to do some mods to increase a bit of its performance

Last edited by garvit2002 : 1st August 2006 at 11:51.
Old 1st August 2006, 11:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCockroach
Sprocketing is not as easy as it seems. Gravit, the stock version of any bike is the best balance that you can get between having a good initial and a good top end. Increasing the sprocket at the rear will give ya more acceleration. So you'd be first off the line. But increasing the rear sprocket to a bigger one will decrease your top end.

Putting a smaller sprocket than stock will increase your top end and decrease your initial (Theory). I say theory 'cos you still have to look at the engine, does it have enough torque to make use of the taller gearing to take you to the theoretical top speed. Unless you have done something to increase the performance of your engine (and I dont' mean, K&N's and upjetting), don't change the sprocket, its just going to be a waste of time.

you cannot get a better answer or solution any way you look at it , he is absolutely right, you will have to do a lot f permutations and combinations to get what you want, the other options is to tinker with the gear ratios with a experinced workshop. " SPEED COSTS MONEY HOWFAST YOU WANT TO GO"
Old 1st August 2006, 12:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvit2002
which bike do u have and what change did u got ? any mileage mishaps?

well my idea to do this was becoz i am not that satisfied with my apache's performance . yeah the mileage is good when u ride it sedately but when u kick up the throttle it will kick up ur pocket by a mere 30kmpl . in fact it just loses in straight line drags to both pulsar and unicorn by a a couple of feet distance maybe the fact that i weigh about a 102kgs . that is making me to do some mods to increase a bit of its performance

dude i used to own an rx100(modded) ported to the core.... proton (desinged By My Mech And Myself , An a Thinner Chain + Smaller Sprocket...

and no because of the rx100 revving capability i dint lose intial....

but however with my gear ratioing done i did manage a whole lot more of power in 3rd gear then 4th..
Old 1st August 2006, 13:35   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
ALWAYS PLAY WITH COUNTERSHAFT SPROCKET SIZES.
changing rear sprockets is costlier.
Its exactly the other way around. Its better to play with the teeth on the rear rather than the front.

Advantages are:
- More accurate adjustements possible
- Going down in teeth on the front increases chain wear
- Much easier to remove/fix on the rear than the front

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks