Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2014, 18:03   #46
BHPian

Re: Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
T
Don't worry it can be done at home and easily fixable if anything goes wrong.
Hi Tgo,
I tried to remove the left side switch gear today afternoon but unfortunately I was unable to remove one of the screws, the one in the front. I used the right fitting star screw driver, and I applied WD40 too, tried tapping mildly, but it is refusing to budge. . Will take it to the service guys and get it removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Also how are sudden overtaking manouveres on the highway , I read reviews that the rpm cuts off during down shifts ?
Hi Stanjohn, I haven't faced stalling yet. But sometimes there seems to be short pause before the bike pulls hard sometimes... I noticed it today when I went for ride past Mahabalipuram.

Today I decided to lubricate the chain. A week back I had ordered Tribocor Chain cleaner TC28 and lubricant TC205. It was a package that cost about 850 rupees in ebay. After using the cleaner I was a little disappointed. It evaporates very fast and the sludges are not removed and I used a tooth brush to remove the sludge. I applied the lubricant, allowed it to soak for 15 minutes and then lightly wiped the excess and took it for a short ride. The real wheel was full of the lube spray after the ride and I had to clean the rims.

When I was cleaning I noticed that one of the 'O' rings is missing. I have attached the photo below. Will this reduce the life of the chain? Can you anyone throw some light on this? You can see the missing O ring in the middle link(Third from the bottom or top) right side.
Attached Thumbnails
Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-dscn0683.jpg  

Old 16th November 2014, 20:17   #47
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi Tgo,
I tried to remove the left side switch gear today afternoon but unfortunately I was unable to remove one of the screws, the one in the front. I used the right fitting star screw driver, and I applied WD40 too, tried tapping mildly, but it is refusing to budge. . Will take it to the service guys and get it removed.
If each switch assembly has two screws, fully tighten the screw which came off easily, then attack the one that did not budge first. Idea here is to withdraw the screws simultaneously so that when one is out the other is not taking the full load of the gap created on one side subsequently mis-aligning the two halves of the switch assembly which will make the lone screw difficult to extract and will strip the soft plastic threads of the assembly.

But I guess you already know that... and it could also be that only one screw is holding the two halves together in your case.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 20:26   #48
BHPian

Quote:
When I was cleaning I noticed that one of the 'O' rings is missing. I have attached the photo below. Will this reduce the life of the chain? Can you anyone throw some light on this? You can see the missing O ring in the middle link(Third from the bottom or top) right side.
Hi arulpeem, the missing O ring will cause dirt and water to enter the particular link causing rapid wear and damage to the roller. If your motorcycle is within warranty period, it would be better to notify the service and demand for rectification.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 16th November 2014 at 20:29.
Old 19th November 2014, 16:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Yes, the 220 is also faster than the GT, though I'm not sure if it breaches the 10 second mark. But having said that, I'd personally have more fun on the GT. It's a work of art! It can adorn one's drawing room when not being used.
Just checked and the 220 isn't all that fast. It does the 0-100 dash in just 11.2 secs. Some other reviews claim even +12 secs.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2014/10/bik...-180-shootout/
Old 19th November 2014, 18:33   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked and the 220 isn't all that fast. It does the 0-100 dash in just 11.2 secs. Some other reviews claim even +12 secs.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2014/10/bik...-180-shootout/
Out of curiosity , what is the 0 - 100 figure for continental gt and thunderbird 500 ? I googled but failed to find any result . I recall viewing a thunderbird 500 video on youtube that did 100 in around 10 seconds , not sure if stock or modded .
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 09:19   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
If your motorcycle is within warranty period, it would be better to notify the service and demand for rectification.
regards adrian
Hi Adrian,
I took it to the Enfield's service station in OMR and to my disappointment they said that they can't replace it under warranty. The full chain has to be replaced since the links are riveted. To be honest I was in no mood to press further and I had to come back to my office for a meeting. I will put forth my case strongly when I go for the 9th month service next month. Till then I will ensure the chain is lubricated properly.

There is peculiar noise I heard today when I was riding to the office today when I apply the front brakes. It is almost like a cicada's noise. It increases with speed...
Old 20th November 2014, 10:27   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is peculiar noise I heard today when I was riding to the office today when I apply the front brakes. It is almost like a cicada's noise. It increases with speed...
Even I get the same noise from the front disc when it is applied, its just the rubbing sound from the pad. It isnt a problem. I am getting the same noise (though its very soft) from the rear when I am not applying the brake i.e. the disc is touching the pad. The disc isnt really heating up when I ride but there is friction for sure which will lead to unnecessary wear n team. I showed it to the RE service guys once, they cleaned the disc. I need to get it fixed at the second service.
Old 20th November 2014, 11:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not an ornothologist nor have I any idea what a cicada is or how it sounds (!) but this sound (like bubbling through a very thin straw) is heard in other bikes with front discs as well (like the Duke). Do not remember hearing it on either my Pulsar 180 or my two 500s with discs, so can probably postulate that it is common to front discs with steel braided lines (as against the traditional rubber ones). The Con GT has steel braided lines right?
Old 20th November 2014, 16:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Not an ornothologist nor have I any idea what a cicada is or how it sounds (!) The Con GT has steel braided lines right?
Yes it has steel braided lines. Cicada is an insect found on certain trees and makes fairly a loud noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Even I get the same noise from the front disc when it is applied,.
Thanks Neil for the input. I will observe it for some more time.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 18:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Out of curiosity , what is the 0 - 100 figure for continental gt and thunderbird 500 ? I googled but failed to find any result . I recall viewing a thunderbird 500 video on Youtube that did 100 in around 10 seconds , not sure if stock or modded .
Think you missed my below post.

Quote:
The continental GT can do 0-60 in 4.3 seconds which they claim is 1.2 seconds faster than the TB500 , where the GT totally destroys the TB500 is in the 0-100 timing which it does in 12 seconds , that's a whooping 7 seconds faster than the TB500.

source: http://forbesindia.com/article/appra...tal-gt/37005/1
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 04:23   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Adrian,
I took it to the Enfield's service station in OMR and to my disappointment they said that they can't replace it under warranty. The full chain has to be replaced since the links are riveted. ...
Yes, they are correct. They cannot take the chain apart and replace the O-ring.
I do not think they are correct in saying this is not a warranty issue though.

All they need to do is to replace the entire chain with a new one.
Any defective part (like a chain) on a new motorcycle should be covered by the warranty.

If you choose not to pursue this, your existing chain should be fine for many thousands of km. Just remember to keep it lubricated with a suitable chain lube.
Old 23rd November 2014, 19:11   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
But I guess you already know that... and it could also be that only one screw is holding the two halves together in your case.
Hi Tgo, i will try it by tightening the rear side a little more as you suggest. Didn't find the time this weekend to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
If you choose not to pursue this, your existing chain should be fine for many thousands of km. Just remember to keep it lubricated with a suitable chain lube.
Thanks Jim. I will pursue this in a months time when the third and last service is due. Till then I will keep it properly lubricated.

Mileage: Yesterday I filled up the tank to the brim. 282 Kms and 8.7 litres of fuel, that comes to 32.4 KMPL. Nearly 200Km of that was on the highways cruising at 85Kmph.

Today morning at 6 am I went for ride upto Mudaliarkuppam, which is about 40 Kms after Mahabalipuram. I was hoping to combine some birding with riding. The backwater normally will have lots of water birds, especially waders. But the water level was full and therefore no birds to see. There were quite a few group riders en route. Groups of Harleys, Triumphs and royal enfields. I saw two GTs today and that gave me a good feeling. One of them was a solo rider like me and he ripped past me when I was doing about 85Kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-dscn0686.jpg  

Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-dscn0689.jpg  

Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-dscn0692.jpg  

Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-dscn0690.jpg  

arulpeem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 20:49   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I took it to the Enfield's service station in OMR and to my disappointment they said that they can't replace it under warranty. The full chain has to be replaced
Buddy, it a motorcycle costing more than 2 lakhs, definitely demand for replacement under warranty.
regards adrian
Old 26th November 2014, 02:37   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mileage: Yesterday I filled up the tank to the brim. 282 Kms and 8.7 litres of fuel, that comes to 32.4 KMPL. Nearly 200Km of that was on the highways cruising at 85Kmph.

Today morning at 6 am I went for ride upto Mudaliarkuppam, which is about 40 Kms after Mahabalipuram.
I am so used to the varying throttle way of riding this bike for the last (and first) 1600 odd kms that I do not think I will be able to ride at a steady speed even on highways! Jokes aside, I am planning on doing one economy run tank full where I will be gentle on the throttle, shift early, coast to stops and basically use momentum rather than constant acceleration to record the best mileage I can achieve. I've got 40 kmpl as my target though I will probably have to pull out every known trick in the book to achieve this.

I loved the photos and they instantly reminded me of the stretch of sea facing tarmac in Cochin which I have earmarked for taking pictures of the Continental GT against the glorious setting sun in the Arabian Sea. Hopefully my plan will come to fruition in the first quarter of the new year.

I also realized that there arent many ownership reviews of the bike on the internet so hopefully the updates on our threads will give enough confidence to fence sitters to take the plunge for what is a very enjoyable bike that breaks the RE mould.
Old 7th December 2014, 10:34   #60
BHPian

Last Friday I filled up the tank after 310 Kms and it took in 10.1 litres of petrol. That gives 30.6. Today morning I went for ride up to Marakkanam, 105Km oneway from my home. This time I used my new full face helmet, MT Blade Super R that I had acquired last week. It was much quieter than my current open face helmet and my past full face helmets. My cruising speed went past 90Kmph because of the quietness. During the return journey I stopped at Midway restaurant for a coffee and a very elderly gentleman approached me and started enquiring about the bike. It turned out that he was the chief marketing manager of Enfield 20 years back. It seems he started in the R&D and then moved to marketing. It was a pleasure to have stuck up a conversation with him.

When I started the bike I smelt petrol, but couldn't find any drops and kept going. By the time I reached Mahabalipuram I found the fuel gauge down to the last three bars. I thought it was because of my faster riding. But the gauge started blinking by the time I reached Palavakkam. I filled up and it took almost 11 litres for just 220 Km.

On reaching home I inspected carefully I discovered a leak just below the rear of the tank from a tube and when I switch on the ignition and pump is on, the leak was almost a pour. . I didn't want to remove the tank since I won't be able to fix the leak. Because nothing seems to be loose, and it could only be a cracked tube or so and I can't replace it. I plan to ride it tomorrow to the OMR service station which is about 5 Km from my home.
Attached Thumbnails
Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-mid-point-restaurant.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks