Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 16:32   #1
BHPian

RD350: Why I think Yamaha should relaunch it

I am in a dilemma as to how to put my thoughts across and convey my needs on a particular bike i do like.

The bike in question is the Rd 350 which was in its time ahead for the Indian bike market.But the times have changed and people are flexible as far as mileage and vitamin M are concerned.

I have always loved the RD for its naked macho looks and ofcourse for its performance.The twins with the oodles of chrome are sight to behold and not to forget the heavenly sounds from the shapely exhausts.
I couldn't afford the bike in my early days and it doesn't make sense to me to buy what i find on Olx.

The closest i find to a RD is the Triumph Bonnie.But something still seems to be missing.

I was wondering why can't someone give some tips to the knowledgeable guys at Yamaha to come out with a new generation RD 350/RD500 .The shape and the twins will remain the same except for modern features and technology.May be a CDI ,disc brakes and ABS mated to the classic shape will definetly give a run to the new generation use and throw Indian bikes.

I am sure many people would come forward(apart from me) to buy these bikes if they were supported by Yamaha in terms of sales and service.The demand for Rx and RD's today are a proof of the brand value of Yamaha.
May be I will start by saying a prayer and hope Yamaha Inc someday listens to them.
Seventhgear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 17:29   #2
BHPian

re: RD350: Why I think Yamaha should relaunch it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventhgear View Post
I am in a dilemma as to how to put my thoughts across and convey my needs on a particular bike i do like.

The bike in question is the Rd 350 which was in its time ahead for the Indian bike market.But the times have changed and people are flexible as far as mileage and vitamin M are concerned.

I have always loved the RD for its naked macho looks and ofcourse for its performance.The twins with the oodles of chrome are sight to behold and not to forget the heavenly sounds from the shapely exhausts.
I couldn't afford the bike in my early days and it doesn't make sense to me to buy what i find on Olx.

The closest i find to a RD is the Triumph Bonnie.But something still seems to be missing.

I was wondering why can't someone give some tips to the knowledgeable guys at Yamaha to come out with a new generation RD 350/RD500 .The shape and the twins will remain the same except for modern features and technology.May be a CDI ,disc brakes and ABS mated to the classic shape will definetly give a run to the new generation use and throw Indian bikes.

I am sure many people would come forward(apart from me) to buy these bikes if they were supported by Yamaha in terms of sales and service.The demand for Rx and RD's today are a proof of the brand value of Yamaha.
May be I will start by saying a prayer and hope Yamaha Inc someday listens to them.
True, i have my self wondered about this many times, and I have always wanted to own a RD 350, and i know one day I will.

What the bonnie misses is the history we have associated with it. bonnie wasnt around to create that connect when we were growing up and lusted after the RD350s. The other biggest thing IMO is the noise that beast makes. It still sends a shiver down my spine when I hear one. I love the sound and I would buy one just to hear the RD350 engine.
lalittalwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 17:39   #3
BHPian

Seventhgear, The nearest thing to the RD350 is Yamaha's recently released 70s retro bike, the SR400. But, it is a single cylinder. Actually, it looks more like the RX100!

http://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_a...Studio-006.jpg
LTAutoMad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 17:58   #4
BHPian

RD ownership is a journey.
In all probability, you will never find an RD which is fit to just buy and ride. Such RDs are never sold by their owners.
The most rewarding RD ownership experience is one where you buy a bike for cheap, which runs like shit and then start the process of re-buuilding it bottom-up. Spend time reading about it, collecting parts and then address each and every part of the bike sequentially.
Yes, this requires a lot of patience more than anything else, of course, money will always help. It is the journey that is the most satisfying. People have spent years and years re-building their RDs and getting them to the state they are in now.
Usually they are never in the market to be sold.
Kaumad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 18:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I have always loved the RD for its naked macho looks and of course for its performance
Quote:
I couldn't afford the bike in my early days and it doesn't make sense to me to buy what i find
You have captured the emotion of every RD lover who never got a chance to own one and cannot afford one now. It would be amazing if Yamaha can re-launch the RD 350. Most of the RD that is affordable in the second hand market will need rebuilding effort and patience to get it done which I do not have. If at all Yamaha will make this announcement I will join the long queue of RD lovers to book one of my dream machine.
SaNdY_AR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 18:57   #6
BHPian

There's really little or no chance of them(Yamaha) reconsidering 2 stroke motorcycles,although I think some of their outboard motors are 2 strokes in production.

Like Kaumad said,If you want an RD-350 its best to find one(probably in pathetic condition)and build it from the ground up yourself.If you do find an RD in pristine condition that the owner is willing to sell,expect to put down some serious monies for it.

As to your question on why 2 strokes are not considered,While doing my regular motorcycle related surfing around on google.I stumbled upon a list of the best 2 strokes ever produced.That got me thinking about the "Question".

Some spirited googling later and I came across this.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/02/07...e-streetbikes/

The above link should answer your question.

Regards

Last edited by B O V : 16th October 2014 at 18:59.
B O V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 22:36   #7
BHPian

There's almost no chance of a two-stroke series of bikes coming out now from any of the large manufacturers. They placed their bets on four stroke engines a long time ago, and by now we're too far down that road commercially, IMHO. Even if someone were to use available ways to make two-stroke engines emission compliant, the resulting engines would not really be comparable to the original two-stroke heart that drove bikes like the RD back in the day.

As for the future for the RD 350 specifically? There is none - as a living, evolving future. But the existing last few examples will linger on for a while longer as glorious examples of a bygone era, I think. To say this bike is legendary is an understatement - it is an icon. The people who own them know this. I have a close friend who has rebuilt one to pristine condition, and hardly rides it. I think he's holding on to it as a long term investment... he'll probably end up selling it for exponentially more than he spent on it some day. :-)
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 13:23   #8
BHPian

I have had it for 15 years now, spent absurd amounts of money on it, made friends for life cause of it, met my life partner cause of it.

Have a KTM 390 now as well and will in all probability get a bigger bike for two up travelling, but one thing for sure, that bikes going to the grave with me, as the feeling that the bike evokes is unparalleled.
Khodays is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 14:21   #9
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2014 at 18:01.
howler is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks