Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2014, 11:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Your favourite GP & TT riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post

And going by the 2013 & 2014 season, Marc Marquez will surely re-write all the history books. A look at his carrier in Moto GP so far :

Starts : 34
Wins : 17 (50%)
Podiums : 28 (82%)
Poles : 22 (65%)
Fastest Laps : 21 (62%)

For sure your expression will be
Personally, I don't like the guy. No offense, but the guy has been treated as a prima dona. Honda got the 'rookie' rule changed for him. If he deserved a factory ride on debut then so did a handful of riders with WSBK Champion Ben Spies at the forefront.

Honda has been a bully and has been driving this premier sport to the ground.

As far as records go here are 2 that he will never brake:

1. Winning a GP on debut: Kenny Roberts.
2. Winning 2 (250cc & 500cc) world championships in 1 season: Freddie Spencer.

After having seen the giants of the 2 stroke era, it will take lot more than what is happening right now in MotoGp to make me sit up and notice. No offense, but currently it's like looking at rerun of someone's Play Station game. Even the Moto3 and Moto2 are more exciting to watch than this freight train re runs.
Old 26th October 2014, 11:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
TT is a different story altogether. They are all demigods. Our thread here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-m...-no-other.html
Great thread! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Yeah, a TT rider is a pretty special soul. I can't imagine any of the modern MotoGP jockeys caning it through there - insurance wouldn't allow them to, for starters. And yes, most of them just can't imagine taking such a risk even once, leave alone for five races in a week, every year.

This is why for me, D'Agostini is still one step ahead of other GP greats, and is unlikely to be equalled ever. I wish I could see more footage of him racing.
Old 26th October 2014, 16:44   #18
BHPian

Rossi is a great driver but you cant take away the credit from Marc Marquez. Look at the way he rides and the way he has beaten folks time and again over the last 2 seasons with lot of time to spare in most cases. To me Rossi era is over, he is no longer the force to reckon he was in his prime.
Old 26th October 2014, 18:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
Rossi is a great driver but you cant take away the credit from Marc Marquez. Look at the way he rides and the way he has beaten folks time and again over the last 2 seasons with lot of time to spare in most cases. To me Rossi era is over, he is no longer the force to reckon he was in his prime.
You are comparing a guy at the fag end of possibly the greatest career of all time with another at his prime.

Rossi of 2000 riding the snorting 500 cc stroker for the first time vs the Marquez of now. Take a wild guess who would be mopping the floor with whom .....
Old 26th October 2014, 18:11   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
After having seen the giants of the 2 stroke era,
Sir, you will say the same about current Moto-GP riders when there would be an E-Moto-GP, though I hope, I would no longer be alive to witness it.
Old 27th October 2014, 00:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Rossi of 2000 riding the snorting 500 cc stroker for the first time vs the Marquez of now.
I sometimes wondered what the outcome would be in a fantasy face off between prime Rossi (during his 5 consecutive year reign) and prime Doohan (during his own 5 year reign).

I'm thinking that the outcome would be decided by the the type of bike they were on. If racing on the new open class 4 strokes, I'd bet on prime Rossi. But if they were racing on the 500 cc 2 strokes, prime Doohan on his Repsol Honda screamer.
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 09:25   #22
BHPian

My favorites over a few years of Moto GP followings.

1. Rossi - Best of all.
2. Mick Doohan
3. Casey Stoner - He can ride and win race on any junk given to him.
4. Mark Marquez - Best among the current generation(But i believe his fate would have been like Max Biaggi if Rossi would have been in Prime form)
5. Ben Spies - Underrated
6. Marco Simoncelli

* Agostni - Have heard a lot of him but not seen him racing.

2nd Best to the above.

* Max Biaggi
* Cal Crutchlow
Old 27th October 2014, 09:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
I sometimes wondered what the outcome would be in a fantasy face off between prime Rossi (during his 5 consecutive year reign) and prime Doohan (during his own 5 year reign).
Tons of mutual respect and warmth between these two gents.
Old 27th October 2014, 10:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sir, you will say the same about current Moto-GP riders when there would be an E-Moto-GP, though I hope, I would no longer be alive to witness it.
In its current setup and scenario, very much doubtful. Don't get me wrong, these guys are immensely talented. It's the current relgulations and Honda's hold manufactures association and calling the shots that is killing this sport.
PratikPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 12:23   #25
BHPian

Mick Doohan, my Absolute Number 1. Winning 5 Championships with a thumb operated brake and overalls holding his body together.
Loved the era of racing between Doohan, Rainey and Schwantz.
If not for Doohan then Rossi would be number one. He proved that he is the "Doctor" when he went from a World champion team to a lesser team and making them World Champions again and off course for all the titles and championships.
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 12:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
You are comparing a guy at the fag end of possibly the greatest career of all time with another at his prime.

Rossi of 2000 riding the snorting 500 cc stroker for the first time vs the Marquez of now. Take a wild guess who would be mopping the floor with whom .....
Dear ebonho, There is no doubting Rossi's talent. I would rate Mick Doohan a notch above Rossi in the 500cc class especially on the Repsol Honda. I only shared my view in the current circumstance.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
Dear ebonho, There is no doubting Rossi's talent. I would rate Mick Doohan a notch above Rossi in the 500cc class especially on the Repsol Honda. I only shared my view in the current circumstance.
Dear sparsh, I wasn't responding to Rossi v Doohan. But your comments on Rossi v Marquez.

"Rossi is a great driver but you cant take away the credit from Marc Marquez. Look at the way he rides and the way he has beaten folks time and again over the last 2 seasons with lot of time to spare in most cases. To me Rossi era is over, he is no longer the force to reckon he was in his prime."

Also, Rossi, Marquez, and Doohan are riders, not drivers.

Rossi is still the number 2, ahead of much younger riders like Jorge and Dani. And he has again found his groove and has started pushing Marc. Once he gets into his head, that's when the fun will begin. A great champion is not only about how you ride, but how you think, and how you affect how your opponent thinks, what he thinks.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 14:37   #28
BHPian

Rossi is still very much in the mix, and I think he has a few good years left in him. It's a foolhardy man who would bet against him adding to his legacy before he retires. In any case, he has proven with his longevity and consistency that he deserves to be spoken of in the same breath as D'Agostini and Doohan.

As ebonho points out, great champions operate as much between the ears as on the bike. Rossi has been racing (and winning) more than half his life. If he can get out of the blocks quick next year and stay in contention till the last 3-4 races, that experience could make all the difference.

Speaking of greats, just how good was Jeremy Burgess? A race engineer who worked with 2 out of the 3 greatest GP champions of all time, among several other greats.
Old 28th October 2014, 18:39   #29
BHPian

I personally believe, Marquez has made the race boring. No one is able to win from him. Come on, all the element of last moment wins have lost. The only time other rider wins is when Marc crashes. No disrespect to the Marc, he is a great rider, but Casey Stoner, Roosi, Lorenzo use to create a thrill in the race.
Old 28th October 2014, 19:14   #30
BHPian

For the Moto GP, I absolutely love Rossi. I follow the sport for him. Over the last 2 years my loyalties have also shifted from F1 to MotoGP.

For the TT, I have seen some good documentaries, still dont know in depth about each racer but I know of Guy Martin, John McGuinness. Ian Hutchison etc. John seems to be a work of art and Guy Martin is pure Entertainment, Entertainment & Entertainment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks