Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2014, 11:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Pulsar 200 NS: Random Starting Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Looks like I spoke too soon. After a full service and the apparent fixing of the issue, today bang in the middle of evening rush hour traffic, I confidently switched the bike off at a signal. It wouldn't start after that.

Moved to the side and tried starting, no luck. Waited for 10-15 min to see if it would start again- No luck. Then finally moved to a side road and jump started it in 2nd gear. It started surprisingly easily in the jump start with just pushing by myself.

Went straight to the service center. The guy who told me it had been rectified was no where around, since it was starting fine then, the guys there could not understand what the problem was. I tried explaining the various points mentioned in the thread, finally they took it in and cleaned something next to the clutch lever. Not sure if this is what needs to be done. I tried explaining/understanding further, but it was like talking to a wall. They kept saying its all fine. Finally came away with the hope that whatever they cleaned has solved the issue.
The starter relay has interlocks with the clutch switch and the neutral switch. Either one of them must be closed (in neutral or clutch lever pulled) for the starter to engage. One easy way of testing these switches is by bypassing them with a jumper wire. If the bypass works but the switch doesn't then the switch is faulty.
I'm not familiar with the specifics of the 200NS circuit but I know that some Yamahas have an extra relay under the seat that is operated by the clutch and neutral switch. This is audible when it operates (operate the clutch to hear the click). If the NS also has a secondary relay that too needs to be checked.

In my experience, mechanics are rarely good electricians and vice versa. So if you continue having problems, they will continue replacing parts one at a time until the problem is solved and htis could be a long and possibly expensive process.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 12:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Loose contact sending false information to sensor/circuit; the issue will be fixed now
Does it mean clutch lever to be pressed while starting the engine? (even when the bike is already in Neutral) Else what ever may be the (false)signal that the clutch switch sends, it shouldn't affect the circuit is my understanding.
Old 29th October 2014, 22:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Does it mean...switch sends, it shouldn't affect the circuit is my understanding.
It does is what my EXPERIENCE taught me; not on Pulsar, but on Honda
Old 30th October 2014, 04:15   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

alpha1:

No. Not all of the leads in the harness are for power only. A number of them are ground wires and most of the electrical items have dedicated ground wires that eventually connect to the battery thru one medium size wire. (I'm speaking of the new UCE Royal Enfields here.) Most of the cars also use this dedicated ground wiring idea to assure reliability.

The point I was trying to make is the entire frame of the motorcycle is also grounded to the negative terminal of the battery.

The source of this ground is the heavy battery cable that runs directly from the negative terminal of the battery to the housing of the starter motor.
Mine is connected to one of the bolts that holds both ends of the starter motor to one another.

Anyway, as the housing of the starter motor is grounded by this wire and it is also connected to the engine housing, the entire engine housing is grounded.
The engine housing in turn grounds the frame by being attached to it in several places.

Speaking of cars:
Because most car engines are mounted in rubber mounts which do not conduct electricity, most of them have several dedicated metal ground straps or wires running from the grounded engine block to the frame of the vehicle.
Often, things like tail lights, parking lights and license lights on automobiles rely on the grounded frame to serve as the only return path for the bulbs.
In my old pickup truck, even the radio relies on the trucks body to serve as its ground path.

I hope this helps to clarify my earlier post.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 30th October 2014 at 04:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks