Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 13:54   #1
BHPian

The best motorcycle for commercial / delivery purpose?

Hi guys,

I've been looking at starting my own business, and one of my requirements are affordable and reliable two-wheelers for delivery purposes.

As these bikes will just be used by the staff, I'm not really concerned with factors such as power, or handling or comfort.

The main criteria for these bikes are :-
1) Reliability
2) Fuel Efficiency
3) Ease of maintenance
4) Ability to be modified to have storage on the rear seat
5) Low initial cost

The bikes I was looking at were the:-
- Honda CD 110 Dream
- Hero Splendor or Passion
- Bajaj Platina 100 or Discover 100
- TVS Star or Max4r

I may have missed a few, since I don't know much about the 100-110 cc segment. Any help by fellow BHPians who know more about this sector would be highly appreciated.

Let me know your opinions. Thanks guys.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 28th October 2014 at 13:57.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 14:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The best motorcycle for commercial / delivery purpose?

Hello,
Looking at all your requirements, i suggest you get the Splendor. It is a proven workhorse and very reliable.
All the Best

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 14:06   #3
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
]are affordable and reliable two-wheelers for delivery purposes.

1) Reliability
2) Fuel Efficiency
3) Ease of maintenance
5) Low initial cost
Honda CD110 is the cheapest.

Should be reliable, have good FE and should satisfy your parameters.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, Let me know your opinions. Thanks guys.
Check out the Hero Dawn too. It is cheaper than a Splendor, but has better power & torque figures. Rest of the specs are almost the same as a Splendor.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 14:11   #5
BHPian

I would go with a Hero CD Deluxe! Slightly more expensive than a Hero Dawn but is well worth every additional penny.
rahul4321 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 14:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:

1) Reliability
2) Fuel Efficiency
3) Ease of maintenance
5) Low initial cost
Even before reading your entire post, the only bike that came to my mind was the Splendor.

The best 'cheap' bike out there for rugged use as you require. Recommending the Splendor cuz I know atleast 10 Splendors being used for such purposes, right from being used at a Stationary shop used for hauling stacks of paper and other stuff, to Splendors being used by metal marts who use it to move aluminium/copper/steel sheets over short distances. Most of these bikes have done over a lakh kms and they have no plans to replace them in near future.

I personally don't advise using two-wheelers for such purposes, cuz its quite scary the way they carry their stuff on the pillion seat and on top of the tank. Its quite precarious. But I stated it to just explain that the Splendor is indeed a tried and tested bike for such purposes. If you are going to make mods for storage on the rear seat then I think it won't be a problem.

And maintenance? The workers literally abuse the bike and the owners don't even look into regular maintenance. Still the bikes take the beating and serve without a single day of breakdown.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 14:30   #7
BHPian

I see a lot of Platinas used for delivering stuff including groceries and Pizzas.

However, being a true TVS fan, I'd recommend looking at the TVS Sport. The Sport is cheaper than the Star and although it comes with a smaller engine (100 v/s 110 cc), TVS is known for great pickup (torque) and throttle response. Also a lot cheaper than a Hero or a Honda of the same class.
hellmet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 14:47   #8
BHPian

Will these bikes be going longish distances for delivery (greater than 80-90 km)?

If not, and the deliveries are within shorter distances, forget motorcycles, get the Scooty. Cheap, effective, can carry more (behind the rider and in front), nip through any traffic so delays are reduced, not too fast so delivery boys have less chance to get into trouble, quick enough to make good time within the city.
Silverflash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 14:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Why not a TVS 50/super/xl moped? They are super powerful, extremely low on maintenance and are gear-less too, so should be easy for anyone to use.

I know this was not in the list of your shortlisted vehicles, but I see a lot of them here in Bangalore and some of them carry huge load.

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2014 at 16:01. Reason: Typo
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 23:05   #10
BHPian

Re: The best motorcycle for commercial / delivery purpose?

IMO you should purchase a Hero CD Dawn (a more basic version of the CD Deluxe) for your staff.

The Splendor and the Honda Dream 100 is more expensive than the above two by 5k - 10k but the inherent Honda characteristics remain common.

It is a no frills, no nonsense bike. Not at all expensive, extremely reliable and quite fuel efficient with good pick up to buzz around the city.

Nippy in the traffic and the seat is flat enough and can be definitely modified.

I have seen CD Dawns and CD Deluxes being used for hauling purpose in the interiors of Maharashtra, and by milk vendors/ delivery guys in Mumbai.

You wouldn't ever go wrong with a Honda or Hero. Since this clearly won't be used personally the bikes would go through much neglect and abuse and being a former CD Deluxe owner I can safely suggest this trouble free bike.

Bajaj bikes such as the Platina or Discover though initially cost cheaper than Hero/ Honda - age rapidly and require much maintenance if not looked after with care after a few years.

And remember a Honda or Hero always fetches a better resale value than low end Bajajs. So the premium is worth it.

You may read the review of the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ip-review.html

Good luck with your business prospects.

Last edited by ciddharth : 28th October 2014 at 23:12.
ciddharth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 00:02   #11
BHPian

You should go for Hero CD Dawn since
- Cheap to buy and maintain
- Less plastics ensure less rattles in the long term
- Very good bike for rough usage since my neighbour has a CD Dawn which has done 80000 kms without any issues
- Tried and tested engine
Old 29th October 2014, 12:22   #12

One more to this list is the YAMAHA CRUX. Good engine and can be used for long haul all day. 103 cc dependable engine, Long seat- maintenance cost need to find out from the dealer.

Hope it helps.
Old 29th October 2014, 13:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Why not a TVS 50/super/xl moped? They are super powerful, extremely low on maintenance and are gear-less too, so should be easy for anyone to use.

I know this was not in the list of your shortlisted vehicles, but I see a lot of them here in Bangalore and some of them carry huge load.
Was just about to say this too dass. My company has a few and they are great for lugging lots of weight. They cost about 30-33,000 INR. Worth every cent.
Old 29th October 2014, 13:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josha10 View Post
One more to this list is the YAMAHA CRUX. Good engine and can be used for long haul all day. 103 cc dependable engine, Long seat- maintenance cost need to find out from the dealer.

Hope it helps.
Keep yourself stuck with the Hero/Honda brand. Do not deviate. I had Crux from 2004-08 and it was a nightmare. Yamaha is good above 125 cc. Keep your eyes closed and get the cheapest Honda/Hero. If I were you, I will pick up the Honda.
Old 29th October 2014, 19:08   #15
BHPian

Hello,

The best bike for your would be:
http://www.tvsmax4r.com/default.aspx

It comes with:
1) Double suspension at rear for higher loads.
2) Higher strength Spoked wheels for rough usage and absorb shocks without cracking like alloy wheels.
3) Detachable seat and a ready flat bed for carrying luggage.
4) Cheap and reliable TVS spare parts and service.
5) Time tested 4 stroke TVS Victor engine.

Disadvantages:
1) Spoked wheels means tube type tyres- read less safety and more headache of replacing tubes every now and then during an incident of puncture.
2) Engine though good and reliable is not as good as Honda engines in terms of Noise Vibration and Harshness and Very long term reliability.
3) TVS engines are not able to sustain their high mileage figures for a long period of time and settle for reasonable mileage figures after certain time. (From my own personal experience)

If you donot want to carry heavy loads the other best option would be CD Dawn to satisfy all your requirements.
Positives:
1) Load carrying nature and rear carrier to carry luggage.
2) Tried tested and proven Honda engine.
3) High on quality and reliability.
4) Spares easily available with Hero Honda.

Negatives:
1) Little bit pricy spares but not much.
Attached Thumbnails
The best motorcycle for commercial / delivery purpose?-tvs.jpg  

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 29th October 2014 at 19:20. Reason: Additional Points added.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks