Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 21:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Government could make ABS compulsory for two-wheelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
The way ABS system works in current bike requires sensor in both wheels (ABS works by comparing the speed between 2 or in case of cars 4 wheels , if one is rotating slower than the other and crosses a certain threshold , ABS will kick in ) , as such having ABS for just one wheel will still require sensor in the rear , the money saved by axing the rear line is hardly worth the sacrifice and effort .
I don't think that is correct. ABS works on wheels independently, the comparison on wheel RPM is what stability control systems do. If on hard braking, the rear lifts and stops spinning, the front should not release pressure based on that, as that will reduce braking effectiveness , rather the front wheel ABS relies on front sensor data alone. Honda's CABS system may be like what you describe though.

I remember an article years ago about BMW just started with bikes featuring ABS. The general agreement was that ABS on bikes is a trickier phenomenon and hence the ability to switch off ABS should be provided. The reliability of ABS on some surfaces was suspect, so an off switch offers experienced riders to manage the braking themselves where they felt ABS hindered their braking efficacy.
Old 17th November 2014, 22:49   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I don't think that is correct. ABS works on wheels independently, the comparison on wheel RPM is what stability control systems do. If on hard braking, the rear lifts and stops spinning, the front should not release pressure based on that, as that will reduce braking effectiveness , rather the front wheel ABS relies on front sensor data alone. Honda's CABS system may be like what you describe though.

I remember an article years ago about BMW just started with bikes featuring ABS. The general agreement was that ABS on bikes is a trickier phenomenon and hence the ability to switch off ABS should be provided. The reliability of ABS on some surfaces was suspect, so an off switch offers experienced riders to manage the braking themselves where they felt ABS hindered their braking efficacy.
Yes ABS works independently but what I mean is it requires sensors in both wheels for working(even if for front only ) . It compares the speed between both wheels to detect lock and then makes a decision whether to actuate the valves . One can always axe the rear brake solenoid valve as I mentioned but that is hardly going to save much to justify the sacrifice because the system still requires the sensor to be present . If I am wrong about the part about the ECU basing its judgement on comparing both wheel speeds then I apologize , that is based on my recollection of what I read to understand the basics(it is of course possible a separate system exists which can work with only front sensor ) . At no point however I have implied that ABS works simultaneously on both wheels

There are also certain ABS systems to counter a rear lift up mid braking - those system release/modulates the front brake pressure when it detects the possibility of a rear lift up.

CABS I assume stands for combined braking , that is different and not what I am trying to describe .

EDIT : In light of our discussion , I on the off chance googled "motorcycle ABS front wheel only " and it indeed exists and as such I am wrong in saying it won't be cost effective . From description , it looks like no rear sensor is required either and apologies again for putting forward that misconception .

http://www.bosch-motorcycle.com/en/d...s_light_1.html

Last edited by basuroy : 17th November 2014 at 23:03.
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 13:16   #33
Team-BHP Support

The Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) has proposed that two-wheelers with engine capacities more than 125 cc should be equipped with ABS.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 13:59   #34
BHPian

So I guess there will be a sizeable clump of 125 cc bikes after 2017. These bikes will dominate the two-wheeler buyer's segment and will be the neo-150 cc at that point, just like how sub-4m sedans are now.
Old 19th December 2014, 14:09   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite incompetent on part of ARAI. Why should bikes only over 125 CC should have ABS? Most 100 CC bikes are capable of clocking about 100 KMPH anyway. I would call this again half baked policy. Will end up being a mockery like the ground clearance rule & sub 4m rule.
Old 19th December 2014, 18:57   #36
BANNED

Atleast there will be some ABS bikes. Seeing the economies of scale, they might decide to offer it on the <125cc bikes as an optional extra.
Old 19th December 2014, 20:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

What good is this rule if they cannot afford to fix all the roads in this country?
Old 20th December 2014, 00:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
What good is this rule if they cannot afford to fix all the roads in this country?
These are all pieces of the jigsaw puzzle. It's better to look at it as things getting fixed one step at a time. Else nothing will ever get done.
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:27   #39
BHPian

A little off-topic, but this means that a few (semi?) premium bikes like the Ninja 300 would start coming with ABS. That would definitely change a few things higher up in the market as well.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks