Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2014, 11:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500

Hello fellow TeamBhpian's my Thunderbird 500 completed 450 Kms yesterday and the service icon started flashing. Yes! it was time for the first free service. I covered another 30 Kms yesterday and today while taking the motorcycle to RE authorized service centre (read. Synergy Auto Sakinaka). While handing over the key to the service staff the odometer showed 480 odd. Kms. After standing there for about 15 minutes the service manager came to attend me, reason there were about 4 other owners he was attending to.

Finally when he approached me I got the job card made. I told him to check the idling which is showing 1500 rpm to which he replied, "We will check the tuning and rectify it." My second request was to secure the wiring harness inside a plastic mould with a plastic tie to the hook provided just behind the headlight. My third request was to fit the newly embossed name plates (aluminum type) to which the reply came, "We don't have a drill machine sir! you need to get it fitted from some name plate maker". I mean "What the Hell!!" an RE authorized service centre has no drill machine . I think he was lying, nevertheless I will get it fitted from my friendly trusty mechanic.

I will be getting back my motorcycle today evening. I am awaiting some subtle changes in my Tbird 500 like many Tbird 500 owners on this forum and elsewhere have said about the improvement in gear shifts, smooth engine, performance, increase in mileage, etc.
Old 24th November 2014, 12:13   #62
BHPian

hi navin,

Armed with the pdi check list and curious stares from the staff at the enfield godown in santacruz, i took delivery of my thunderbird marine last wednesday. I haven't got a chance to write an initial ownership thread but attaching a picture of what i believe is a new model that royal enfield is secretly testing and whose battery cover unfortunately found its way on to my Thunderbird
Attached Thumbnails
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-wp_20141119_003.jpg  

riziali is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 12:19   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riziali View Post
hi navin,

i took delivery of my thunderbird marine last wednesday. I haven't got a chance to write an initial ownership thread but attaching a picture of what i believe is a new model that royal enfield is secretly testing and whose battery cover unfortunately found its way on to my Thunderbird
Hey riziali congrats on getting your Tbird500 marine. NOW! That's a scoop! or is it that RE is planning to change the name of the Tbird500 to "Rumbler".
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 12:29   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys I just googled "Royal Enfield Rumbler 500" and these are the results I got:

http://royalenfield.com/srilanka/mot...es/rumbler-350 (this denotes RE Srilanka)

http://royalenfieldph.weebly.com/rumbler-500.html (this denotes RE Phillipines)

http://myroyalenfields.blogspot.ae/2013/05/rumbler.html

http://royalmoto.com.ua/rumbler-500 (this denotes Russian I believe)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8532450&type=1 (this denotes Spanish)

Looks like RE is calling/renamed "Thunderbird" as "Rumbler" in some export markets.

riziali you are lucky to get an export model toolbox

P.S. Mods sorry to create back to back posts kindly merge it with my earlier post. Thanks.
navin_v8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 13:26   #65
BHPian

Awesome find Navin. What would be even more awesome, was if mine were an export model motorcycle altogether . But from what i noticed later in my parking bay at home was that the tank was tilted slightly towards one side and for some strange reason the exhaust emits a slight whistle every time the clutch is depressed for a gear change.

The more i ride the more i will know. The crew at RE also mentioned i should not exceed 50 kmph during the run in period. For now the longest ride i have done is from santacruz to my home in parel. Hoping to clock some miles soon.
riziali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 13:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi navin,

Armed with the pdi check list and curious stares from the staff at the enfield godown in santacruz, i took delivery of my thunderbird marine last wednesday. I haven't got a chance to write an initial ownership thread but attaching a picture of what i believe is a new model that royal enfield is secretly testing and whose battery cover unfortunately found its way on to my Thunderbird
This is hilarious.

Give it to RE to make goof ups as this.

Anyway, I was of the thought that TB was only sold in India, this was an eyeopener that it is sold in other Asian countries as well now.

Is RE going to change the tool box cover for you?

EDIT: With the stock exhaust, it should be named the 'Whistler' . Like you mentioned, there are few bikes that have a whistle note on both acceleration and DE-accleration.

Last edited by tharian : 24th November 2014 at 13:49.
Old 24th November 2014, 13:57   #67
BHPian

It seriously was hilarious when i discovered it. I was expecting some sort of goof up after reading all the threads but this took me by total surprise.

The guys at the godown effortlessly swapped the battery cover with another Marine 500 and also managed to put my lock on to the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
This is hilarious.

Give it to RE to make goof ups as this.

Anyway, I was of the thought that TB was only sold in India, this was an eyeopener that it is sold in other Asian countries as well now.

Is RE going to change the tool box cover for you?

EDIT: With the stock exhaust, it should be named the 'Whistler' . Like you mentioned, there are few bikes that have a whistle note on both acceleration and DE-accleration.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
some strange reason the exhaust emits a slight whistle every time the clutch is depressed for a gear change.

The more i ride the more i will know. The crew at RE also mentioned i should not exceed 50 kmph during the run in period.
I haven't noticed the whistle sound in my Tbird 500 so far. I have religiously followed the run in pattern of not going beyond 50 KMPH and 2000 RPM for the first 500 kms. Get your fuel tank properly aligned by the service centre when you have time. Ride safe.
Old 25th November 2014, 11:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

First Free Service Update

Guys my Tbird 500 went it for its first free service yesterday. I left the bike at 9.45.am. and collected it back at 7.15.pm. The first free service was a mixed bag with a lot of comedy happening around. Like I told yesterday I had asked for a couple of jobs to be completed on my bike apart from the regular oil and oil filter change. One was to reduce the RPM from 1500 to the default factory setting of 1000 + 100 RPM. Two was to secure the wiring harness inside a plastic cap with a tie belt on the hook located behind the headlight. Three was to fix the embossed name plate both front and back (it couldn't be done as the service centre had no drill machine; white lie I tell you). All these requests except the name plate fixture were noted down in the job card and I took their leave.

I got an automated SMS from RE in the afternoon saying My bike's servicing is complete and I can collect it. I left one hour early from my office to reach the service centre at 6.pm. as that was the time promised by the service centre staff for collecting the bike. I reached the service centre on time and inquired about my bike, after which an interesting conversation took place between me and the staff:

Me: So, is all the work done?
Staff: Yes, it is already done. But we weren't able to get the tie band so were not able to secure the wiring harness behind the headlight.
Me (surprised): Oh! can't you use some other tie belt? we just have to secure it that's it. Check with the store they must have it.
Staff: No sir we dont have it in stock! Once we get the stock you can come and fit it.
Me (Thinking: So I have to come all the way here just to fit a plastic tie!): Ok fine, is there any hardware shop anywhere here closeby?
Staff: I don't think so sir but you can check. I am not sure if they will have a tie belt. We do have a tie belt but its size is smaller and its rough edges will scrape the paint.
Me: Ok no problem, I will do it myself, thanks for the help. (I think to myself is there a board on my face that says I am a fool, how can a tie belt located behind the headlight scrape the paint and is the tie belt made of metal to scrape the paint. Phew!)

I proceed towards my bike which is buried in the sea of other RE bikes. The service centre guys move the other bikes and man handle my bike on its centre stand by dragging it as there is hardly any place to move to the bike . I ask them to stop and move it myself while I thumb start the bike. To my surprise I still see the service icon flashing on the instrument cluster and the bike is still idling at 1500 RPM. Another interesting conversation:

Me: Hey! you told that work on the bike is complete.
Staff: Yes sir it is done.
Me: Look at the instrument cluster; the service icon is still flashing and the idling is still not set. It is revving at 1500 RPM at idle.
Staff: Ok sir I will look into it.
Me (wondering and say it to myself): The bunch of monkeys in that movie Madagascar are more intelligent and productive than these so called trained staff.

Meanwhile I think, I have some time so let me go out and see if I find a hardware store to buy a tie belt. I step outside the servcie centre and see a three wheeler auto parts spare shop bang opposite the gate. I approach the shop and inquire about tie belt. As I thought the shop keeper takes out a bunch of different types and sizes of tie belts, I choose one black tie belt similar to the one already fitted on other Tbird's. I buy one tie belt for Rs.10 and proceed towards the service centre and enter the service bay. Another interesting conversation:

Me: Here is the tie belt.
Staff (same guy): Oh sir, yes this tie belt is good.
Me (sarcastically): I got this one from a auto spares shop bang opposite your service centre. Now can you fix it. (I tell myself, "forget it dont chase it")
Me: What happened to the idling, why is it showing this problem?

Staff calls another mechanic who checks and says...

Mech: Sir the problem is with this pipe (air breather pipe I believe), it is cut. We can chop off the cut portion and fix it back.
Me: Oh! I have heard of this problem, looks like this is a common problem with Thunderbirds. Why don't you tell about this to the company.
Mech: Yes sir will do.
Me: Tell me something if you chop off a portion of the pipe will it not shorten? will it fit properly?
Mech: Oh yes sir the pipe's length is enough and if you want you can change it during next service as we dont have that part in stock.
Me: Looks like your stores is out of stock for everything.

I told this as I had just asked the stores if I can buy a spare allen key(I asked this because the allen key provided by the company was pathetic, it had no grip whatsoever and used to slip while opening the nut. I mean the allen key head was looking like someone had grinded it to make it round on the top), the one which is used to open the chrome cover toolbox. They said they don't have it in stock. "Sigh! I will have to buy this one too from a hardware shop", I tell myself.

Another comedy incident about the name plate. While the air breather pipe work was going on, I just happened to casually inquire with one of the mechs on the service floor (as he seemed to be relatively free). The conversation went like this...

Me: Hey, I have these embossed name plates here with me, can you fix it on my bike.
Mech: Why not sir, let me check the size if it will fit smoothly or not.
Me (surprised): Oh sure go ahead! (I tell myself, "Oh! so as I thought the story about non availability of a drill machine was just a lie, they didn't want to fix the name plates so they gave this lame excuse.")
Mech: Sir, the size is perfect and I will fit it on top of the existing name plates for added reinforcement and it will look good too as the frame fits perfectly, especially the rear one.
Me: Good observation please go ahead.

The mech goes ahead and drills holes and brings back the nameplates and fixes them. I thank him for his proactiveness and tip him. Meanwhile the bike is ready and I get to test it at around 7.00.pm. I thumb start it and the idling has come back to normal 1000 RPM. The service icon has disappeared, the method used was the one we use on our smart phone. Yes! hard reset. The mech hard pressed the left and right button on the instrument cluster after key in and the service icon disappeared.

Finally all the issues were resolved and I got my Tbird500 back. I started the bike and started riding towards home. Some changes I noticed after the first free service:

1. The bike's engine has become smoother than before
2. It feels more responsive and powerful (maybe because I am no longer limited to 2000 RPM)
3. The vibrations have subsided a lot and it feels refined now
4. Braking as before is adequate and the rear disc brake too has improved.
5. Gear shift to an extent has lost that rubbery feeling while shifting for good. I am now liking the gearshift mechanism.

Question to RE Tbird500 owners, what RPM do I need to follow till the second free service. The manual says I should limit my speed to 80 KMPH but doesn't mention the RPM. Kindly guide me in this matter.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 12:26   #70
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys forgot to post the break-up cost for the "First Free Service".

First Free Service cost (Title seems strange, isn't it? ) but one has to pay for the consumables, only the labour is free.

Oil Change: 2.5 lit Oil costing about Rs. 900 odd
Oil Filter change: Oil filter paper element costing about Rs.90 odd
Total Bill: Rs. 993 only.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Mods please merge this post with my earlier post. Apologies for creating back to back posts.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 11:14   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone, I am enjoying my rides with my Tbird 500 and have in the process made a few observations. Tbird 500 becomes a different character once it touches 80 KMPH, I find the rough road patches (read typical Bombay roads) are dismissed with aplomb by the Tbird 500. Whereas the same roads make it bounce and give a hard ride at low speeds. I think the suspension softens up as the speed increases, which is awesome for long highway rides. As mentioned before the handling is really confidence inspiring for old school riders like me. This is one cruiser I have ridden that handles well (atleast better than my 2004 Tbird AVL 350).

The seat although comfortable starts to cause a minor discomfort which pushes against my butt. I think I need to spend some more time on the saddle to make it butt friendly. About the RPM question I had asked in the previous post, I believe one should follow a RPM limit of about 2800-3000 RPM approx. till the second service is over considering the manual says one should limit the speed to 80-90 KMPH till second service. I am personally following an RPM limit of 2700-2800 max at the speed of about 70 KMPH on an average with an occassional blip of about 80 KMPH at about 2900-3000 RPM.

Oh yes! I didn't find an opportunity to break that jinx by visiting the place where my Tbird500 broke down. I will do it this coming Saturday .

Last edited by navin_v8 : 1st December 2014 at 11:15.
Old 4th December 2014, 04:36   #72
BHPian

I booked my TB 350 on september 7th and i got a call on Nov 29th to pay full amount towards vehicle allotment, I rushed to the dealer and paid in all cash

4 days have gone by and yesterday i went to the showroom to check the TB thats allotted to me, oh man its just there looking fabulous, I did all the PDI, the bull is manufactured on 20 Nov 2014,

there were 18 blue Tb`s in the stock yard and my bull had R2 written in chalk on the seat, other bulls had only the date of manufacture marked with chalk on the seats, can some one tell me what that means (R2), the showroom guys were not able to answer my question

i have attached the barcode of my bull, that clearly shows the date and time of manufacture
Attached Thumbnails
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-img_0966.jpg  

Last edited by SalsaCorp : 4th December 2014 at 04:37.
Old 4th December 2014, 10:25   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaCorp View Post
I booked my TB 350 on september 7th and i got a call on Nov 29th to pay full amount towards vehicle allotment, I rushed to the dealer and paid in all cash

can some one tell me what that means (R2), the showroom guys were not able to answer my question

i have attached the barcode of my bull, that clearly shows the date and time of manufacture
First of all congratulations on your purchase and choice. I didn't find any marking like what you have mentioned on my motorcycle. I too had booked my Tbird500 Marine on 23rd September 2014 and got the delivery on 7th October 2014. It was a September 2014 manufacture fresh from the factory. As long as you have done the PDI and are satisfied with it the marking should not really matter. I think this might be some internal dealer code marking that they must be following which might mean "Ready to Deliver". Again this is just my wild guess.

Meanwhile enjoy your ownership on this wonderful motorcycle, I bet it won't let you down.
Old 9th December 2014, 11:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone, as I mentioned earlier I was able to break the jinx by visiting the same place where my Tbird500 had broken down. I was constantly watching the instrument cluster out of sheer anxiety and fear but the Tbird500 sailed through the same road with ease and pride.

I was accompanied by a fellow RE Rider on his Tbird350 (who is a TeamBHP member Nick_Wanderlust). We visited the Vasai Fort and Suruchi beach and both the visits were totally worth it, especially the Vasai Fort. All this while the Tbird500 performed flawlessly and I was able to touch 80 KMPH on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway with total ease. I haven't pushed the motorcycle beyond 80 KMPH as it is still in run in period. Like I mentioned before the Tbird500 has become very responsive, refined and smooth after the first free service. That sweet melodious muted thump has a unique character of its own and one doesn't feel stressed or tired. This is due to lack of vibration and that ultra smooth thump. What I have noticed while riding is about the Neutral gear which refuses to slot in. I am left playing with the gear lever to find the neutral while bringing the bike to a halt. I need to get this sorted during the second service. If anyone has come across this issue then kindly advice me how to rectify it.

Meanwhile coming back to vasai fort, although I have been staying in Bombay since my birth I haven't visited this gem of a place. Like they say, "No one cares about their own backyard and always take it for granted". The visit to this fort was truly worth it and as a bonus we found a way (thanks to Nick's amazing navigation skills) wherein we could take our motorcycles to the inside Church's entrance to click some photos. Now let the pictures do the talking.

Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-20141206113245.jpg

At the Fort's Entrance
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-20141206113757.jpg

Inside the Fort at the Church's Gate
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-20141206124519.jpg

Full View
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-20141206124535.jpg

Some random pics of the Vasai Fort and Suruchi Beach

Vasai Fort Entrance Door
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-entrance.jpg

Iron Spike Door
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-iron-spike-door-.jpg

Another Wooden Door
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-another-door.jpg

The Arch
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-arch.jpg

Portuguese Architecture
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-architecture.jpg

Steps leading to the top
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-steps.jpg

The Tower
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-tower.jpg

Big Window
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-window.jpg

View from the Fort's top
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-vft-1.jpg
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-vft2.jpg
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-vft3.jpg
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-vft4.jpg

The secluded Suruchi Beach
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-suruchi-beach-1.jpg
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-suruchi-beach-2.jpg

One has to ride/drive through a maze of narrow roads passing through the village to reach this Beach. Although I had the GPS mounted and was following it, I found the route was blocked by the villager's due to some marraige program. We found our way asking some local guys. The challenge was while returning from the Beach. Thanks to Nick's amazing navigational skills we could come out of that maze of narrow roads onto the main road. All in all a saturday very well spent.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 9th December 2014 at 11:13.
Old 9th December 2014, 12:02   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
What I have noticed while riding is about the Neutral gear which refuses to slot in. I am left playing with the gear lever to find the neutral while bringing the bike to a halt. I need to get this sorted during the second service. If anyone has come across this issue then kindly advice me how to rectify it.
I too faced this same neutral issue. This is the tricky part where neutral falls in such a small slot between First Gear and Second Gear.

I just bring the bike to the first Gear, wait for the rev to go low then just give a "SLOW" or "GENTLE" tap to bring it neutral. I guess you are used to the gear mechanism of those G2 and B1 beauties. Their Gearbox are really classic and macho. However if you feel uncomfortable with TB500's gear issue, do take it to service centre and sort it out.

Vasai Fort's architecture are so mesmerising, kept us wondering how they are able to build such an elegant church in those days. If the church was in good condition, it could have easy accumulate around 300 people.

One of the favourite memories is that we came out from that wonderful "MAZE" without using GPS! Thanks for taking up this trip.
Nick_Wanderlust is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks