Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2016, 16:12   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Maybe the jokers at the RE service centre forgot to tighten the fuel line hose clip, but wait why did they take it off in the first place?? Perhaps I will ask them next time.
To remove the grit and dirt on the engine they need a degreaser. The cleaner guy used the petrol from your bike to clean the engine. Hopefully only your engine.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 12:23   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
To remove the grit and dirt on the engine they need a degreaser. The cleaner guy used the petrol from your bike to clean the engine. Hopefully only your engine.
I think you are correct mate. I have seen my friendly mechanic do that while he is cleaning the internal gears by spraying them with petrol. I thought RE after sales must be using some kind of degreasing solvent to do this. The reason being I saw a lot of plastic canisters placed around while the service goes on. I saw them using these plastic canisters while seeing them from a glass window from the customer lounge while they were working on the bikes. I saw these big glass windows overseeing the service bays in two service centres one in Pune called Platiinum Motors and other in Mira Road called Unison. No such viewing area at Synergy Auto at Andheri East (Saki Naka) where I get my bike serviced. I will check with the service staff next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakbhp View Post
Many Congratulations Navin. Your Blue Whale really looks amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your Blog. Loved the bits of Mamma's Boy, Ladies in your apartment saying "The Love for Royal Enfield elevates the love for marriage", kids repeating "Thunderbird Thunderbird Thunderbird" after you and then your nephew showing what genes he got. Sure you should add up another ownership review. Shall be waiting for that.
sarthakbhp mate thanks for the kind words. The enigma of an RE motorcycle is so magnetic that people from all age groups and gender are attracted towards it while appreciating the motorcycle. My nephew who is now almost 2 years old is always ready to stride on the motorcycle. I mimic the sound of the engine as if the motorcycle is in motion and he turns the handle left and right thinking that he is riding the Thunderbird. Another instance is that he starts clapping the moment I start the motorcycle.

Quote:
I am also planning on a Thunderbird Blue Marine but the 350CC model.
God Bless and Drive Safe.
Great one mate, if you like touring and cruising then the Thunderbird will not let you down. All the best with your decision.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 8th February 2016 at 12:25.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 11:10   #108
Senior - BHPian

Updating this thread after a long long hibernation.

My Thunderbird500 continues to run trouble free in its 7th year of ownership. I have been religiously servicing it at regular intervals and there are no problems whatsoever.

I was in two minds to trade it with an Interceptor 650 but since RE has axed the legendary 500cc from its lineup I think I will retain it. I don't want to repeat the same mistake I did in the 2000's by rejecting a used CI 500 in favor of a used CI 350 as the former was dearer by more than 40K.

In all these years the only issue worth mentioning is the breather pipe which used to get cracked at tension points. I replaced it with a transparent PVC pipe as per fellow BHPian Arizona Jim's suggestion. This has resolved the breather pipe leakage issue. I also added another bracket to the instrument cluster as per fellow Bhpian Tbird500 owner Hamza's suggestion. The mod has resulted in less vibrations from the instrument cluster. The rear tyre suffered a puncture during the 2019 rainy season. I got the tube replaced instead of repairing the puncture as there were multiple punctures. I did switch from mineral (Liquid Gun) to semi-synthetic (Motul 5100) oil. The oil grade 15W-50 remains the same as per company specifications. The semi synthetic oil has a marginal difference in performance where I can notice the engine running less hotter and becoming smoother. Installed a new battery of the same amperage (12V 14aH) in December 2020. This time got Exide xplorer MF VRLA sealed battery instead of the regular Exide Bikerz. I would have preferred Amaron but unfortunately Amaron has no 14aH battery.

Recently the brake light stopped working while using the rear brake pedal, it does work while using the front brakes though. The issue was diagnosed to rear brake pedal switch which needs to be replaced. Other than these there are no mechanical issues whatsoever. The cycle parts seems to be aging well given the fact that I stay just 1.5 kms away from Juhu beach. The motorcycle is near bone stock with no modifications whatsoever either cosmetic or mechanical.

Long rides have almost stopped since the pandemic. My last ride was to Malshej ghat in March 2020 just before the lockdown was announced. I do ride the motorcycle twice or thrice a week totaling 6 -8 kms to keep it in running condition.

Overall it has been a good and trouble free experience owning the Thunderbird500. So far so good.
navin_v8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 13:05   #109
Senior - BHPian

Some monsoon tips especially for RE Thunderbird owners:

1. If your motorcycle is parked in the open, ensure to put a good quality water resistant cover (I don't believe in the concept of waterproof cover as nothing like that exists). The cover can be a breathable one which does not trap moisture. Some will say what is the use of a breathable cover if water gets in, well it is better than having no cover at all. Besides a breathable cover will help the moisture escape and prolong the life of cycle parts.

2. It is advisable to put a handle cover that covers the handlebar, switches, instrument cluster, etc. DO NOT put those small elastic transparent covers on the switches as they do more harm than good. I have been reusing my handle cover since the past 5 years. The trick is to insert plastic grommets into the hole where one makes a cut for the rear view mirrors. This prevents the cover from tearing as the hole through which the rear view mirror goes are tension points for tearing. The cover also helps prevent water seepage into the notorious RE Instrument Cluster. Again do not use those small elastic covers on the Instrument Cluster as they do more harm than good. While parking in the open turn the handlebar to the right side such that the handlebar cover is over the fuel tank cap (Using this technique has prevented from rain water entering my Tbird's fuel tank and I have never had problems with water entering the fuel tank). This would prevent rain water from seeping directly into the notorious fuel tank cap of the Thunderbird. Again DO NOT use those zip type fuel tank cap plastic covers, they do more harm than good.

3. Good quality water resistant seat covers are advisable to prolong the life of seats. I have been reusing mine since past 5 years (yes good quality seat covers do last that long). The seats develop minor cracks and holes overtime that are invisible to the naked eye. Water seeps in through these crevices into the seat during rains and the cushion gets damaged overtime. It also traps moisture that aids rust.

4. This is a little controversial and it's whether or not to use anti-rust coating/spray. I have been using anti-rust coating (brown/golden color that comes in 50ml bottles) for all my RE Motorcycles since the time I bought them. For those washing their bikes 2-3 times every week this is not required. But for someone like me having multiple motorcycles with no covered parking this is the only way to prevent rusting (chrome parts) and pitting (on aluminum parts like engine/gearbox casing). I do wash my bikes with mild pressure once a week as depending only on anti rust coating is no guarantee of preventing rust.

5. DO NOT use those plastic card paper cover used by roadside mechanics that covers the entire front part of the motorcycle to prevent water splashing from the front wheels. These plastic card paper covers prevent air flow from front which is crucial for an air-cooled engine. Some people use those full body covers (rexine type) which covers the motorcycle top and engine from both the sides. These too prevent air flow which is crucial for air-cooled engines.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 12:43   #110
Senior - BHPian

Update

As the title suggests, after a long time its time to update this thread.

My Tbird500 continues to run flawlessly with regular servicing and oil change intervals (switched to Motul 5100 post 4 years of ownership). It is now approximately 8.5 years old and continues to cruise efficiently on the highways at a comfortable 100 KMPH with the RPM needle hovering around 3500 RPM. At times I do feel RE should've added a 6th gear, at least for the 500cc.

The motorcycle is bone stock with except one modification. I added a pair of fork gaiters (used on the RE Himalayan) and it was a direct fit. Also got a pair of new tyres (same MRF Zapper) same as stock size. The MRF's aren't very grippy but they NEVER punctured, despite doing some off-roading. Given my purpose, the MRF's do their job perfectly. The stock seat cover became a little loose from the top. Instead of replacing, just got it repaired and now it is as good as new.

Problems
The rear LED tail lamp has very minor water vapor formation, thanks to over enthusiastic pressure wash guy (they never listen despite telling them not to spray vigorously on instrument cluster, tank area and tail light section).

The rear wheel required some truing due minor side by side movement. It is now resolved though.

Sometimes I feel need for ABS as the front brake locks up easily under hard braking. Braking ratio of 60(front):40(rear) is advisable. The cost for retrofitting a dual channel ABS is high as many parts including the wiring harness needs to be changed.

P.S. Will share some pics later...
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 10:47   #111
Senior - BHPian

It's been 8 and a half years since I bought my Thunderbird500 brand new. The motorcycle so far has not given me any major issues worth mentioning. Regular servicing with preventive maintenance has kept my motorcycle looking and riding like new. Cosmetically too the Thunderbird500 has aged well, considering there is no covered parking in my building.

Only issue I faced was some minor bending in the rear wheel, thanks to the never ending construction, potholes and undulations on pathetic roads of Bombay. It was promptly resolved by wheel truing.

I was very close to trading my Thunderbird500 with Interceptor 650, but held on. Pound for Pound a big single's bottom end torque delivery is marginally better than a parallel twin. Most people won't notice it, but I do. However, I wish to make a switch to multi-cylinder sooner or later.

The cruising speed on my Thunderbird500 is around 90-100 kmph which is my sweet spot. I know it's limitations viz. bulky weight, pushrod single, no ABS, top heavy, etc. But I find it reasonably comfortable on long rides, thanks to its weight that keeps it stay planted on the highways, without bothering about crosswinds from heavy vehicles. The 500cc motor purrs along at just around 3200 RPM at 80-90 KMPH which is sublime and unstressed. My motorcycle as you can see from the pictures is bone stock with zilch modifications (except the front fork rubber gaitors which are RE OEM for Himalayan). Tyres were changed sometime back with stock MRF Zapper, as I vouch by it's durability and longevity with zero punctures, whatsoever during my trips. I keep my vehicles for long hence don't modify them extensively. Considering there are no motorcycles in the Indian market offering a 500cc Big Single anymore, it is prudent to hold onto one's 500cc singles. Due to emission norms there might not be another 500cc pushrod single available (fresh from factory) in the future.

As mentioned in my previous post attaching some photos that I took last Sunday morning.

Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-img20230312122514.jpg

Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-img2023031111224901.jpeg

Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-img2023031111224901.jpg

Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-img20230311112341.jpg

Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-img2023031111240301.jpeg

Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-img20230312122540.jpg
navin_v8 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 07:52   #112
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
It's been 8 and a half years since I bought my Thunderbird500 brand new. The motorcycle so far has not given me any major issues worth mentioning. Regular servicing with preventive maintenance has kept my motorcycle looking and riding like new.
Nice to see a fellow TB500 owner writing great about the machine. Recent experience with my TB500 has been disappointing. During annual service, RE advisor told me that the engine crank case needs to be opened for repair within 6 months time that may incur an expenditure of 20k INR. Odo stands at 25000 km. I love it when ridden. But it isn't trouble free. I expect sprocket change, crank case repair soon. As I have another commuter bike to do errands I have minimised usage of this bike for now. But I'm in no mood to sell it off or trade it with another bike. Here are few photos of bike. Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-20221125_073607.jpg

Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-20221125_073629.jpg

Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-20221125_073555.jpg
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 10:24   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
During annual service, RE advisor told me that the engine crank case needs to be opened for repair within 6 months time that may incur an expenditure of 20k INR. Odo stands at 25000 km. I expect sprocket change, crank case repair soon.
Nice to see your Tbird500 mate. It's rare to come across the matte Asphalt grey color Tbird.

I am not sure why the RE service advisor is recommending crankcase repair unless something serious has happened. Sprocket change is understandable, but crankcase repair at 25000 KM is strange. From what I know the crankcase is expensive to replace but not sure about repair costs. Did you try taking a second opinion from FNG's servicing RE's?
Old 14th March 2023, 12:18   #114
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Nice to see your Tbird500 mate. It's rare to come across the matte Asphalt grey color Tbird.

I am not sure why the RE service advisor is recommending crankcase repair unless something serious has happened. Sprocket change is understandable, but crankcase repair at 25000 KM is strange. From what I know the crankcase is expensive to replace but not sure about repair costs. Did you try taking a second opinion from FNG's servicing RE's?
Yes it is a rare engine with rarest colour. Service advisor informed that there is a peculiar noise from engine which will increase in 6 months time. It is an indication of crank case opening and repairing components. As such I don't doubt service manager as the showroom and service center is owned by a very close friend of mine who himself drives a TB500. The issue is why it has happened for which there is no answer. Anyway I have decided to go ahead with repair whenever it demands. I frequently get opportunity to ride my BIL's hunter. J series engine is definitely refined but overall I'm not convinced with the comfort and acceleration post 60kmph of that bike. TB500 is altogether in a different world when it comes to comfort, acceleration and cruising at 80 to 90 kmph.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 15:02   #115
Senior - BHPian

Fork Oil Seal Change
While washing and cleaning my motorcycle on Saturday morning, I noticed some water droplets mixed with oil forming a circle around the top side of the right fork. On further investigation I found a very minor oil trace on the fork rubber gaitors as well. To make sure I rubbed my fingers and found out that it was indeed oil and not water.

Given the age of the fork oil seals, I decided to replace both left and right fork oil seals and fork oil. The total parts cost + labour came upto ₹1400.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 08:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the parts and oil used were RE genuine fork oil and fork oil seals. It is always advisable to stick to OEM parts (unless aftermarket parts are from a reputed brand and are significantly better than OEM), although I could've chosen Motul fork oil but decided to go with RE branded fork oil.

I noticed a peculiar thing with the fork oil seal leakage. Akin to my Tbird500 the right side fork oil seal started leaking in my AVL Tbird too when I rode it on a rough trail through Mulshi (via Lonavala) whilst going towards Pune way back in 2014. In that case too the leak was very minor. The fact that in both the cases only the right side fork oil seal leaked is what caught my attention. Has it happened to any of you folks where the right side fork oil seal leaked first with no signs on leakage on the left side fork oil seal?

Not really sure why only the right side fork oil seal leaks as the weight of the motorcycle and surface undulations are equally distributed between the two forks.

P.S. Mods, if possible kindly merge the posts.
Old 23rd March 2023, 14:15   #117
BHPian

I would suggest a good FNG instead of RE. Their service is pathetic even today, they wont even diagnose the actual problem.
Old 23rd March 2023, 16:48   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
I would suggest a good FNG instead of RE. Their service is pathetic even today, they wont even diagnose the actual problem.
Mate I have stopped visiting RE service centers for good after the warranty period was over. Have been getting all the work done through my trusty FNG.
Old 28th March 2023, 09:34   #119
BHPian

This is really bringing back my college days. My first bike ever was my dad's mid-life crisis buy, a 2012 TB 500 in Twilight blue. Best four years of my life, but the maintenance was prohibitive. At 32k km the fuel pumps had to be replaced, which was the most expensive repair, but otherwise a couple of things here and there were all. When I went off to study in the US, my brother got tired of the weight and clutch (not to mention dropped it a couple of times), and replaced it with a 2018 FZ 25. I might find a replacement with the Super Meteor soon, but this will always be my favourite bike. The annoying fuel sensor was one of the lovable quirks that come to mind when I remember it.
AulusGabinius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 15:41   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
This is really bringing back my college days. My first bike ever was my dad's mid-life crisis buy, a 2012 TB 500 in Twilight blue. Best four years of my life, but the maintenance was prohibitive. At 32k km the fuel pumps had to be replaced, which was the most expensive repair, but otherwise a couple of things here and there were all. When I went off to study in the US, my brother got tired of the weight and clutch (not to mention dropped it a couple of times), and replaced it with a 2018 FZ 25. I might find a replacement with the Super Meteor soon, but this will always be my favourite bike. The annoying fuel sensor was one of the lovable quirks that come to mind when I remember it.
Nice to hear the story of your dad's Tbird500. I was in massive dilemma while shortlisting this motorcycle against the likes of Bullet 500, CGT 535 and Duke 390. My purpose at that time solved my dilemma. I wanted a comfortable touring motorcycle with comfortable ergonomics. This coupled with the 500cc engine reminded me of yesteryears Lightning 535 (considered the father of Tbird) Which I could never buy. I also yearned for the Machismo LB 500 (this one came with factory fitted windshield, split seats, saddle bags, etc.) while in college but couldn't buy it.

I still have a wide on my face when I feather the throttle at 80-90 KMPH to feel that torque on demand phenomenon. The torque has spoiled me apart from the rolling on tractability I get in 3rd gear while puttering around in Bombay traffic at crawling speeds. Sometimes I don't have to use the throttle at all on first gear while exiting my building and while on extremely narrow roads, the motorcycle just rolls on torque alone.

I am sure of facing a huge dilemma when I am in the market for a new motorcycle, as the Tbird500 torque delivery at the bottom and mid-range has spoiled me and I will inadvertently keep looking for the same feature may it be ADV, Tourer, Retro Classic, Sport etc. class of motorcycles.

P.S. I never considered RE Tbird to be a cruiser class of motorcycle. For me it was/is always a roadster with comfortable riding ergonomics. The RE Meteor and Super Meteor have upped the game and are worthy of the cruiser tag.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 28th March 2023 at 15:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks