Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2014, 15:14   #31
BHPian

Re: Other Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
However, it has a very low frictional coefficient - This means that the rear of pillion rider will not always stay with the seat. The pillion needs to holds to you tightly always if he/she doesn't want to slide away from the bike (during acceleration) or crush you towards the front (during braking). The perspective might change based on who's sitting as the pillion - But, for all practical purposes, it is a single seater

Try pushing yourself over the corners more than you have done earlier and you'll be surprised. (If you are not surprised, and you fall down, don't hold me for what I said)

If you have a big belly, please reduce. (Note to self) - Again, if this is your only bike, you can't go in this one to pick your groceries.
I had a great fun reading this love your humour!

Regarding the low friction seat - I would like to disagree. I guess it depends on what material you are wearing . If you are wearing a jean you are stuck to the seat. My experience with it!!

I couldn't stop laughing for the last comment on being a fit driver. I agree with big bellies you would be hitting the tank frequently.
Old 20th November 2014, 17:00   #32
BHPian

Re: My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience

Awesome review Sriram and congratulations, felllow Bengalurean here, was waiting for RC390 launch but have to admit , kinda dissapointed, Things that i feel are not right(absolutely personal opionon)

1) Overall look - its still a bit of naked bike, as if KTM could not decide whether to go full sports or keep some naked characteristics

2)Don't like the headlamps- look mean but not well integrated with rest of bike

3)Exhaust - I am from the old school which likes the pipe like thing attached to bikes spewing smoke, the under the chasis exhaust however well integrated just does not work for me

4) Plastics - i somehow do not like the texture and color of the ones in Rc390

Plus the points you mentioned about committed driving posture and vibrations

Above all points as i said are totally personal opinion and does not take the fact away that the bike is superb performer and at this price this is the best one can get in India performance wise.

Sigh!! wishing badly that Yamaha R25 or R3 will be manufactured here so can get them in non bank robbing budget.

Disclaimer : though a bike rider since decades , total noob on the inner working of bikes, opinions strictly based on reviews, pictures and sightings on road
Old 20th November 2014, 17:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Thanks. Don't you think 15-20mins will be a bit too much when that 15kms is at 4am in the morning? Haha.
I thought it was 30 kms one-way - Your fun will last only 5 mins!

Quote:
Ebonho, the punch is still there but it is different. I'm not sure on how to phrase this in a technical standpoint, however I can tell you that the bike's fueling system has been modified to manage the weight gain compared to the Duke which in turn makes the engine feel more refined and not to lose the power. The difference is not night and day but yes, the difference is visible. Sriram can throw some light on this as my observation is strictly based on the test ride which lasted for about 3kms.
I actually feel RC390 is as eager as D390 initially. The smoothness (relative) may make one feel that RC390 is not as hurried as D390. D390's seating is also another reason why a person might feel more 'hurried' - All said, I'll to a back to back ride and confirm!

Quote:
I would like to mention that the pillion seat is not worse as I expected it to be. Pillion was comfortable in the rear seat but be advised that if you break hard, you might end up hurting yourself (not badly as you may think). Can someone let me know how is the pillion seat compared to R15 V2?
With pillion I ride like I ride a bullet - I don't want them to fall off (during acceleration!) I observed that the pillion does slip behind during acceleration.

As for hard-braking, as long as one is fit and doesnt carry a sumo fighter in the pillion our wrists will be safe.

I had R15 v1 and its pillion seat is one of the most comfortable ones as far as sports bikes are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Congrats Sreeram. It was great to read your detailed objective comparo. Apart from the lack of ABS, how did you find the RC 200 as a second bike for someone who already has a 390 Duke?
Thanks Anil!

To be very honest, I think 200 is more fun than 390, except that its super short gearing makes it top-end less and hence it suffers on highways.

If ABS is not a concern, and the rides are in city (and tracks), RC200 should be a brilliant pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Congrats on the Non-Tandoor version of 390. Total VFM.
Thanks Mahesh!

Quote:
I haven't ridden a bike since Nov '08 after a crash on P180 but lately started commuting on Activa (occasionally) and got back in the riding flow. I was actually thinking of getting a 390 sometime in the future just to quench that thirst on weekends. Planning to exploit it on the tracks.

Soon after getting the news that I'm going to be a Pa-Pa, I'm again experiencing that fear on two wheels that kept me at bay for SIX-LONG years.

I envy your fun with the 390s—plural.
First, congrats! There are more important things in life than two-wheelers!

If you invest in a good gear, riding is a pretty safe activity. I love riding so much that I have ridden on the next day after a fall, and with bruised legs and hands (when I didn't care much about a good set of riding gear).

The only rider who doesn't fall, is one who doesn't ride - So, if you feel a tug in your heart, go ahead to pick a D390 (or any other bike) - Try choosing one with ABS and a good set of tires, and you are good to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Congrats on the RC.

If I remember right, the thread on your Duke 390 was the first on Tbhp and here again one of the first for the RC.

We should meet up since I work at Bagmane Tech Park as well and I did see a RC clipping towards the exit of the tech park post 5p. I am sure that was you.
I can have my claim to fame with first D390 thread! :-) The first RC390 thread in TBHP belongs to Sameer

I am probably the only guy in BTP to roam around an RC390 (yet) - We should definitely catch up sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru153 View Post
Hi Sriram,

Congratulations on your new family member. I really liked the way, you have spelled out the specifics in your thread.

I wanted to know your thoughts on the Naked and the RC version of duke. Based on your duke 390 reviews, where you had mentioned that, the engine heats up, i had enquired with the sales showroom guys and they mentioned that on the current version of ktm duke 390, (naked) they have placed the fan in such a position, which ensures, the heat does not get passed onto Rider's leg. Is that true?
Thanks! Btw, I don't think there is any change in hardware that will push the air down as in RC390 in Duke 390. May be the sales guy got confused between Duke and RC 390.

Quote:
I am close to 100 kgs and i am 5.10 tall. I wanted to check and take ur feedback on the wrist pain on the RC 390. To me i would be riding, more within city and my office is in ORR. So at times, have to encounter bumper to bumper traffic.
There is a pretty good match on our body profiles The wrist pain factor shouldn't decide your choice as it will go away in a week or two as you adjust your seating and consciously stay away from putting all the weight on your wrists.

For city rides, Duke is awesome. If you also plan to take it to track occasionally, then RC390 would be perfect.

Actually, if one is not planning to hit the tracks, RC might be an overkill. As pointed out earlier, KTM did NO compromise in keeping RC a track focused bike. So, it is not a perfect bike for in-city rides.

Quote:
In this case, which one do you suggest, the naked version or the RC 390. I would also want to take my wife also along with me, for some rides as well. Let me know your suggestion whether to go for naked one or the RC.

I earlier had CBR 250 and due to my wrist pain, had to sell it off...
If you really like your wife, you shouldn't pick either of them - You should probably pick an Inazuma or Karizma (or Bullets)

I am surprised that CBR caused so much wrist pain for you - In which case, you must choose a really comfy bike - If your wife agrees to it, D390 should be the choice (if others don't work out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
I had a great fun reading this love your humour!

Regarding the low friction seat - I would like to disagree. I guess it depends on what material you are wearing . If you are wearing a jean you are stuck to the seat. My experience with it!!

I couldn't stop laughing for the last comment on being a fit driver. I agree with big bellies you would be hitting the tank frequently.
Thanks Mafioso! Btw, KTM should put a standard instruction for pillion riders to wear jeans (he he) - So, far the rear seats slips like crazy for most fabric types.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 18:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mafioso! Btw, KTM should put a standard instruction for pillion riders to wear jeans (he he) - So, far the rear seats slips like crazy for most fabric types.
In the old days, the RD 350had that un/happy reputation. As it had no backrest, and the acceleration, many guys in college (those days it used to be a hostel bike!) used to have the hilarious (for the guys watching not for the guy or the girl involved) experience of the girl with a dumb expression on her face either about to sit and finding the bike gone, or more drastic, already sat, on the bike, followed a fraction of a second later by on the road. Equally dumb expression! We really loved our girls!!!!

I realise this post will probably get deleted for being OT, so let me add some relevant bits here as well.

I like the rear seat treatment on the RC. But where are you going to put the bungee hooks?

Last edited by ebonho : 20th November 2014 at 18:21.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 19:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the bike sir. This is one hot bike currently ( and I'm purely a car guy). Somehow this bike has caught my attention. Now the heart has started fighting with the mind
Old 20th November 2014, 20:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the bike Sriram. Looking forward to your comparo of the Duke vs RC. Should be an interesting read!
Old 20th November 2014, 21:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats on the bike Sriram. Looking forward to your comparo of the Duke vs RC. Should be an interesting read!
I second! Sriram, please do a quick review in a separate post comparing both.

How do you decide which bike to take out everyday? Must be one hell of a confusion.
Old 20th November 2014, 23:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
In the old days, the RD 350had that un/happy reputation. As it had no backrest, and the acceleration, many guys in college (those days it used to be a hostel bike!) used to have the hilarious (for the guys watching not for the guy or the girl involved) experience of the girl with a dumb expression on her face either about to sit and finding the bike gone, or more drastic, already sat, on the bike, followed a fraction of a second later by on the road. Equally dumb expression! We really loved our girls!!!!
The guys who rode the RDs should have been sure unpopular

Quote:
I realise this post will probably get deleted for being OT, so let me add some relevant bits here as well.

I like the rear seat treatment on the RC. But where are you going to put the bungee hooks?
I am absolutely not touring with the RC390 (nor the Duke 390 ) -

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Congrats on the bike sir. This is one hot bike currently ( and I'm purely a car guy). Somehow this bike has caught my attention. Now the heart has started fighting with the mind
Thanks John! Giving in to the heart is one of the good things to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I was expecting RC390 vs N300 to be a popular topic. Looks like it is the Duke vs RC 390s - Will pen them over in the next couple of days (expect a big one!)

Quote:
I second! Sriram, please do a quick review in a separate post comparing both.

How do you decide which bike to take out everyday? Must be one hell of a confusion.
Sure ! Will do! For the past few days, it was the RC390 - Duke was giving me cold looks and hence have been riding it for the past two days! Btw, there is no back pain after a ride in RC390 (I was expecting opposite) but I do experience some pain after a good ride in D390.
Old 21st November 2014, 00:05   #39
BHPian

Re: Other Notes

Quote:

Summary

RC390 is a fantastic bike - It offers fantastic performance at a very affordable price. It is not without flaws. If you can look through the flaws, you'll absolutely enjoy the experience.

All said, nothing (in this price) comes close to plastering a stupid grin on your face like RC390 - Your weekends will be an absolute blast with the RC390.
--SNIP--
That said, if I go back in time, will I pick it up? I am not sure - I already have the Duke 390, and I would probably pick up the N300 because of its build quality, refinement, twin cylinders and high-revving nature, bigger fuel tank (and hence range). Because, I am no Rossi. I am planning to hit the tracks more often with RC390 - Nov 28th in Chennai (Orange Track Day) and
Great going, mate , congrats. The longevity and long term reliability of the 390 - or any new model for that matter, is always going be a question mark, even if it's a Honda. And Honda themselves haven't been all bullet-proof, especially in India with the CBR250R reports of poor quality/finish.

All said, I think it's unanimous that the KTMs offer the best bang for the buck. I'm particularly interested in the RC twins because I like practicality in my rides, so though the tank range is low, the projectors make them attractive - the main reason I keep my 220 for so long. Engine refinement and vibration are something I'd like to know about , over time. Do keep up posted.

About that last paragraph - is that a tinge of buyer's remorse? I'd never expect someone to have both the Duke 390 and RC 390. Maybe Duke 200 and RC390 - but two bikes with same underlying bits, not - they're like fraternal twins, not identical but likely very similar.
Old 21st November 2014, 02:00   #40
BHPian

I don't think KTM (as a brand) would compromise on the reliability. Quality of parts used to put the bike together might look bad as these are sourced in India (ex : HD Street 750) but, the engine should be reliable. I suspect that RC after a couple of years of usage might show aging in the form of loose nuts n bolts but that should be taken care of by any road side mechanic. The only problem I faced in my Duke was a failed starter motor (covered under warranty) and failed fuel pump (Filled petrol in a small bunk and once the pump failed, they drained the fuel and noticed that there was about 20-30ml of water which had formed a layer). I believe the starter motor issue was a human error as well as I have noticed many people playing with the kill switch.
Old 21st November 2014, 07:14   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Great going, mate , congrats. The longevity and long term reliability of the 390 - or any new model for that matter, is always going be a question mark, even if it's a Honda. And Honda themselves haven't been all bullet-proof, especially in India with the CBR250R reports of poor quality/finish.
I agree - The Honda CBR had exposed weld joints which looked ugly! (atleast in initial batches)

Quote:
All said, I think it's unanimous that the KTMs offer the best bang for the buck. I'm particularly interested in the RC twins because I like practicality in my rides, so though the tank range is low, the projectors make them attractive - the main reason I keep my 220 for so long. Engine refinement and vibration are something I'd like to know about , over time. Do keep up posted.
The 390 twins are large single cylinder engines - There is only so much we can do in refinement angle - However, it does get better over time

The RC is a beauty - No arguing that. And, it has amazing value for money. No arguing there too. I wonder how they offer so much at so little!

Quote:
About that last paragraph - is that a tinge of buyer's remorse? I'd never expect someone to have both the Duke 390 and RC 390. Maybe Duke 200 and RC390 - but two bikes with same underlying bits, not - they're like fraternal twins, not identical but likely very similar.
Even I didn't expect to have them both Just happened.

I would not have had any remorse if not for the vibrations and some rattles (which are still around). Very disappointed with KTM for this. I was so wild that I wanted to return RC390 after my ride in the weekend after the purchase. The service guys in KTM Mekhri Circle fixed some rattles (not completely gone) and have promised to fix them all. [Even KTM is aware and are working on it, apparently] - Next batches would be good.

Quote:
I don't think KTM (as a brand) would compromise on the reliability. Quality of parts used to put the bike together might look bad as these are sourced in India (ex : HD Street 750) but, the engine should be reliable. I suspect that RC after a couple of years of usage might show aging in the form of loose nuts n bolts but that should be taken care of by any road side mechanic. The only problem I faced in my Duke was a failed starter motor (covered under warranty) and failed fuel pump (Filled petrol in a small bunk and once the pump failed, they drained the fuel and noticed that there was about 20-30ml of water which had formed a layer). I believe the starter motor issue was a human error as well as I have noticed many people playing with the kill switch.
I agree - I am hoping atleast the engine is bullet-proof. Worldwide, KTM is way more premium than Kawasaki or any Japs. But, with this build quality and rattles, it is definitely not helping KTM at all. The KTMs I saw in Bajaj's Chakan plant (few years ago) were OOZING with quality compared to the Dukes and RCs.
Old 21st November 2014, 08:03   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer
Worldwide, KTM is way more premium than Kawasaki or any Japs. But, with this build quality and rattles, it is definitely not helping KTM at all. The KTMs I saw in Bajaj's Chakan plant (few years ago) were OOZING with quality compared to the Dukes and RCs.
I don't know as to why our homegrown manufacturers do not understand this. And this is as true for 4 wheelers as for 2 wheelers. If Tata/Bajaj & others maintain a stringent quality control level, things would be much smooth for us users as well as manufacturers.

We as end users will have less issues, parts will last more, reliability will be better and I am sure, you would have been ready to pay at least Rs. 50,000 more over the price of the current bike.

Quality comes at a price.

Quote:
I agree - The Honda CBR had exposed weld joints which looked ugly! (atleast in initial batches)
Must say, CBR is evens with the R15 (have/had both from initial batch) CBR is much more abused than the R15 & is holding better.
Old 21st November 2014, 09:48   #43
BHPian

Sheel, not every Indian citizen understands that "Quality comes at a price". One of the reasons to see so many pulsars today is its pricing. Sad isn't it?

Regarding CBR and R15, personally I have heard many quality and reliability issues in a CBR (Initial batch. I think one of our BHPian's bike got its engine changed) but no such stories with R15.
Old 21st November 2014, 09:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrygamer View Post
Awesome review Sriram and congratulations, felllow Bengalurean here, was waiting for RC390 launch but have to admit , kinda dissapointed, Things that i feel are not right(absolutely personal opionon)
Thanks hungrygamer!

Quote:
1) Overall look - its still a bit of naked bike, as if KTM could not decide whether to go full sports or keep some naked characteristics
I think exposed and highlighted trellis is the culprit - It is a proper sports in character (probably the one with no compromise in sportiness)

Quote:
2)Don't like the headlamps- look mean but not well integrated with rest of bike
The headlamps have a love it or hate it design - I was initially unsure, but I love the design now.

Quote:
3)Exhaust - I am from the old school which likes the pipe like thing attached to bikes spewing smoke, the under the chasis exhaust however well integrated just does not work for me

4) Plastics - i somehow do not like the texture and color of the ones in Rc390
I agree that the exhaust design might be disconcerting for a lot of folks. Also, restricts how people might add custom ones / FFEs at a later stage

Quote:
Plus the points you mentioned about committed driving posture and vibrations
Committed driving posture is super awesome for the track - Seating position in Ninja 300 is surprisingly comfortable. (Compromised for city rides)

But the vibrations, esp the rattles are unacceptable in a bike that costs 2.5L

Quote:
Above all points as i said are totally personal opinion and does not take the fact away that the bike is superb performer and at this price this is the best one can get in India performance wise.
I echo a lot of your opinion too.

Quote:
Sigh!! wishing badly that Yamaha R25 or R3 will be manufactured here so can get them in non bank robbing budget.
Yamaha has a step-motherly attitude towards Indian market. Focusing more on Indonesia, Thailand and some much smaller markets than India!!! I hope R3 comes to India and is priced well!

Quote:
Disclaimer : though a bike rider since decades , total noob on the inner working of bikes, opinions strictly based on reviews, pictures and sightings on road
+1 - I am no expert in the matters of the internals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I don't know as to why our homegrown manufacturers do not understand this. And this is as true for 4 wheelers as for 2 wheelers. If Tata/Bajaj & others maintain a stringent quality control level, things would be much smooth for us users as well as manufacturers.

We as end users will have less issues, parts will last more, reliability will be better and I am sure, you would have been ready to pay at least Rs. 50,000 more over the price of the current bike.

Quality comes at a price.
+10,000

As I pointed out in initial posts, I'd be happy to pay a lot more for a niggle free product (I am not sure if many would, and hence Bajaj / KTM have taken this approach) - I would not mind paying as much as Ninja 300 if RC 390 was a stellar product with EU levels of quality. Sadly, it is not!

I might be trolled here, but I don't mind not having steel braided lines and some fancy stuff, but I would love to have a rattle free product!

Quote:
Must say, CBR is evens with the R15 (have/had both from initial batch) CBR is much more abused than the R15 & is holding better.
CBR is actually a great bike. I had some terrible accidents due to the sprocket issue (for which the bike was recalled) - But the experience made me bitter with CBR (just my bike)

Can't forget the smoothness of the engine and happy rides with it!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 10:57   #45
BHPian

Quote:

I agree that the exhaust design might be disconcerting for a lot of folks. Also, restricts how people might add custom ones / FFEs at a later stage
I have seen pictures of Duke 390/200 with akrapovic slip on exhaust, any idea that can be done on RC390? If I recall correctly some KTM showrooms themselves were adding the akra on duke - do you have any info on this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks