Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2014, 16:33   #91
BHPian

To Chennai from Bangalore and back

"Why are you grinning?" - Asked my mom. This was about 8 years ago after my trip to Nandi Hills on a Sunday with my R15.

I realized that I had removed my gear and was sitting in the sofa with a stupid grin plastered on the face.

Humans are a strange breed of species. They are not the strongest, fastest - Dogs hear more, cheetahs run faster, Pigs smell more, eagles can fly, fish can swim forever etc.

But, humans use various tools to do these stuff better than anything else in this world.

I had to go to Chennai and I decided to take the new RC390 this time (and give car a skip) - On the hindsight, this was a brilliant decision, though it was a while I traveled for a long distance on my bike.

I realized the RC390 is a VERY competent bike - Apart from the tyranny of having a uber-small fuel tank, it is a very capable bike for touring. I covered close to 720 kms over 3 days (Approx 360 km one-way and I used a car within Chennai)

On my way back, I realized why I ride. On reaching, I realized that my back hurts, shoulder hurts, a$$ hurts and still I have a smile, and ready for the next ride.

It is the capability of a human to transcend his physical limits, that causes this joy. I briefly attained the biker nirvana on my way back to Bangalore until I was brought down to earth by the blinking low fuel indicator, bringing in an earthly feeling of panic which was quickly fixed in the next fuel station.

My heartfelt thanks to KTM and Bajaj to make performance biking closer to reality for a lot of us

RC390 proved that it is an extremely capable bike for highways with this ride. I have no doubt which of my bikes I'll be picking for the next highway ride.

RC390 now has proved its utility for me in traffic, regular city roads AND highways. (The key purpose - track is pending, but based on reviews from most people and my limited experience as a biker, RC390 was born for tracks) - I hope to take it to the tracks soon!

I have friends who would rather down their 2.5L in a mutual fund, and by the magical power of compounding become crorepatis when they retire. But, I'll be a happier man, with my fond memories that I had the time of my life racing down roads and highways, twisting and turning, taking short bursts of exhilarating acceleration, darting across open roads with a twist of my wrist, enjoying the greens and myriad colors that Mother Nature offers.

I have a few more posts in my mind, but time is the constraint. I'll definitely get my post on Orange Assist next!

Some pics from my trip..

Beautiful sunrise while I started from Bangalore (just after E. City)
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-01sunrise-1.jpg

Interesting cloud formation
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-02clouds.jpg

Can't get enough of the sunrise
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-04sunrise-2.jpg

This was the peak average speed (91 kmph) - It fell down after I entered Chennai
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-05peak-average-speed.jpg

Took a small break at coffee shop
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-07break-2.jpg

KTM <3
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-09ktm.jpg

Absolutely no sweat - Long distances are no problem!
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-08break-3.jpg

Reminding the rider the purpose the machine was built for - Race Competition
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-10race-competition.jpg

After Reaching Chennai - 355 kms in 4hrs and 10 mins
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-11after-reaching-chennai.jpg

I wore my Dainese Air jackets which were very comfortable in both Bangalore and Chennai. I also have a Dainese SP-R (High Speed, Mesh). Though SP-R offers more protection, it would have made me sweat a lot in Chennai. The Air was comfy in Chennai as well. I also used my TBG Gloves with Knox protectors for the palm

I also have a Sidi Street Burner - But, I used my regular black shoes - Will try the street burner next time. (Still getting used to it)
sriramv.iyer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 16:39   #92
BHPian

Man, that's one awesome update. Good to know RC served you well. Some points about the wind blast, the mileage etc would be awesome. Congrats once again for the bike. If it was me, I'm not sure whether I would have taken it for a 700kms ride.
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 16:43   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: To Chennai from Bangalore and back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I have friends who would rather down their 2.5L in a mutual fund, and by the magical power of compounding become crorepatis when they retire. But, I'll be a happier man, with my fond memories that I had the time of my life racing down roads and highways, twisting and turning, taking short bursts of exhilarating acceleration, darting across open roads with a twist of my wrist, enjoying the greens and myriad colors that Mother Nature offers.
Well said Sriram There is nothing which make us bikers have that grin on the face and bring all the happiness available in this world, when we climb on our horses and get going. Good to know you are enjoying RC390 to it's fullest and being a happy owner. Will wait for your detailed travelogues with this pocket rocket.

Just a quick question on the engine light glowing in 4th and the last pic. Is this a normal behavior or am I missing something here??
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 16:44   #94
BHPian

Re: My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience

Some pics on my way back to Bangalore

Stop for coffee - I don't know what is Degree Coffee, except that it is a S. Indian filter coffee that's very nice and served in brass tumblers
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-12stopping-coffee.jpg

Side Profile
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-13purposeful-look.jpg

As mentioned in the previous post, approx 170 kms from Chennai, I had to look for a petrol station - This was the one I found almost immediately - Notice a small temple on top!
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-14temple-top.jpg

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-15trees.jpg

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-16majestic-hills.jpg

A lot of goats at my next coffee stop!
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-17lots-goats.jpg

Finally Reached Bangalore
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-18-reaching-bangalore.jpg

The distance is higher because of two reasons. I took ring road in Hosur for the first time. It is a longer route, but almost no traffic. Avoids the Hosur city which is choc-a-bloc with traffic

Also, it was slower because of huge traffic pile up in Krishnagiri toll and in general on the way back to Bangalore.

Great trip overall!

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 29th December 2014 at 16:48.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 17:21   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Well said Sriram There is nothing which make us bikers have that grin on the face and bring all the happiness available in this world, when we climb on our horses and get going. Good to know you are enjoying RC390 to it's fullest and being a happy owner. Will wait for your detailed travelogues with this pocket rocket.

Just a quick question on the engine light glowing in 4th and the last pic. Is this a normal behavior or am I missing something here??
Engine light will be on till the engine is turned on. Once you start the bike, the light will go off.
Old 29th December 2014, 17:37   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Man, that's one awesome update. Good to know RC served you well. Some points about the wind blast, the mileage etc would be awesome. Congrats once again for the bike. If it was me, I'm not sure whether I would have taken it for a 700kms ride.
Thanks man!

1. Wind Blast - Negligible to None. I was victim of windblast during a trip to Chennai on R15. But, I hardly felt it tis time

2. Fuel Efficiency - Varied from 23 kmpl to 27 kmpl - A lot given the speeds I was riding and redlining before every shift.

And, I was not sure of taking it for a long ride as well - Now, I think it is a great tourer! (Given a lot of empty stretches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Well said Sriram! There is nothing which make us bikers have that grin on the face and bring all the happiness available in this world, when we climb on our horses and get going. Good to know you are enjoying RC390 to it's fullest and being a happy owner. Will wait for your detailed travelogues with this pocket rocket.

Thanks a lot! As Astonite pointed out, it stays on till engine is on. It also stays for a couple of seconds once you turn on the engine (along with the ABS light). It is service indicator light.

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 29th December 2014 at 17:45.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 17:45   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man!

1. Wind Blast - Negligible to None. I was victim of windblast during a trip to Chennai on R15. But, I hardly felt it tis time

2. Fuel Efficiency - Varied from 23 kmpl to 27 kmpl - A lot given the speeds I was riding and redlining before every shift.

And, I was not sure of taking it for a long ride as well - Now, I think it is a great tourer! (Given a lot of empty stretches)
1. Glad to know that KTM has done their homework.

2. Thats one impressive mileage taking into account that you made the bike change to Hulk and not keep it as Professor Banner.

Tourer? Would love to know more about this. Saddle bag mounting would be a problem though.
Old 29th December 2014, 17:50   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some pics on my way back to Bangalore

Stop for coffee - I don't know what is Degree Coffee, except that it is a S. Indian filter coffee that's very nice and served in brass tumblers
The "degree" refers to a lactometer, which was used by hotels in the old days to check the milk for adulteration with water, while procuring! It means thick milk!

The village folk used to refer to the thermometer which doctors placed in their mouth as "degree" (because the doc will pronounce the fever was so many degrees!). Because the lactometer appeared to them like a large thermometer, they dubbed it also as "degree", and the milk tested with it became "Degree milk", and coffee brewed with such quality milk "degree coffee!"
Gansan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 17:55   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The "degree" refers to a lactometer, which was used by hotels in the old days to check the milk for adulteration with water, while procuring! It means thick milk!

The village folk used to refer to the thermometer which doctors placed in their mouth as "degree" (because the doc will pronounce the fever was so many degrees!). Because the lactometer appeared to them like a large thermometer, they dubbed it also as "degree", and the milk tested with it became "Degree milk", and coffee brewed with such quality milk "degree coffee!"
That was awesome to know - Thanks a lot! I am sure even the shop owners of these places don't know this info
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 23:07   #100
Senior - BHPian

Coming back to the bike, at first glance I did not realize this was a different bike, and thought I was reading a continuation of your Duke 390 thread. Even the frame looks similar.
Old 30th December 2014, 00:06   #101
BHPian

Wow. What an update! Your post made me feel like gearing up and going for a ride. Your post sums up what being a biker is like!

The RC 390 (and Duke 390) is without doubt, the middle class man's super bike.
A bike capable of owning 99% of vehicles on the road and quicker to 100 than something like a BMW 328i, all at <2.5L OTR.
A big thanks to Bajaj for bringing performance biking to Indian middle class man, first in the form of Pulsars, then taking it to next levels in the form of KTMs.

Quote:
Very well said. I'm a new guy at job having earned only a few months of salary. I'm saving most of my earnings towards laying my hands on that superbike within the next few months, which surprises people who are used to seeing the norm of newbies spending a huge amount buying expensive phones, buying big gifts/treats to girlfriends etc.

I don't remember if I had congratulated you earlier, but if I hadn't, better late than never. Have lakhs of happy km on the beautiful beast
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 00:31   #102
Team-BHP Support

Re: To Chennai from Bangalore and back

Quote:
Beautiful write up.

Especially loved this part and reminded me of myself in the first few months of getting a job.
They said it will take me 6 months before I am eligible for a personal loan. So the sixth month I took a loan for 81000 rupees and bought my RE Thunderbird for 81,205 Rs.

The bike loans would only cover upto 50k and I did not have the extra money.

But that was the best decision I made.

Wish you many many happy kms biking.

One thing that will happen now. You will fall in love with India in a way only a biker can.
Old 12th January 2015, 18:18   #103
BHPian

So it was my turn for the hanging lever this time. Guys with the RC, make sure you tighten the bolt before you set out for a ride or get a pin lock made for it. Apparently the faulty levers have been sent to R&D and a replacement should be out soon. Mine happened on the highway on my way to lonavla withe gear in 5th. Luckily there was a mechanic close by so got it tightened and continued on my way.
Attached Thumbnails
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-lever.jpg  

Old 12th January 2015, 19:04   #104
BHPian

Sorry about the late replies - Somehow missed the updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Coming back to the bike, at first glance I did not realize this was a different bike, and thought I was reading a continuation of your Duke 390 thread. Even the frame looks similar.
Thanks! Both the bikes look pretty much the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Wow. What an update! Your post made me feel like gearing up and going for a ride. Your post sums up what being a biker is like!

The RC 390 (and Duke 390) is without doubt, the middle class man's super bike.
A bike capable of owning 99% of vehicles on the road and quicker to 100 than something like a BMW 328i, all at <2.5L OTR.
A big thanks to Bajaj for bringing performance biking to Indian middle class man, first in the form of Pulsars, then taking it to next levels in the form of KTMs.
+10000

Quote:
I don't remember if I had congratulated you earlier, but if I hadn't, better late than never. Have lakhs of happy km on the beautiful beast
[/quote]

Thanks! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Beautiful write up.

Especially loved this part and reminded me of myself in the first few months of getting a job.
They said it will take me 6 months before I am eligible for a personal loan. So the sixth month I took a loan for 81000 rupees and bought my RE Thunderbird for 81,205 Rs.

The bike loans would only cover upto 50k and I did not have the extra money.

But that was the best decision I made.

Wish you many many happy kms biking.

One thing that will happen now. You will fall in love with India in a way only a biker can.
Thanks bblost! I am looking forward to more rides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
So it was my turn for the hanging lever this time. Guys with the RC, make sure you tighten the bolt before you set out for a ride or get a pin lock made for it. Apparently the faulty levers have been sent to R&D and a replacement should be out soon. Mine happened on the highway on my way to lonavla withe gear in 5th. Luckily there was a mechanic close by so got it tightened and continued on my way.
I don't know what's wrong with this lever - This was first to go during my minor crash. Scares the hell out of me! (If I do a late night ride, which I usually do)
Old 13th January 2015, 10:04   #105
BHPian

Hi Sriram,

I wanted to extend my wishes and congrats to you on your D390 thread, but somehow I couldn't. So let me take this opportunity to say congrats on owning/riding D390, RC390, GT650, etc..

Were you riding towards Chennai on 29th Dec ? In fact I was also on the same road towards Vellore in the early hours. I crossed an RC390 at Soolagiri (some time around 8:00AM) and the rider was wearing a white helmet. I stopped for a break some where before Bargur (around 20 to 30 kms before Vaniyambadi toll plaza) and the same RC crossed me at that point. In fact there was an heavy drizzle after Krishnagiri on that day.

In case if you happen to cross Vellore next time, there is one very good petrol station which was recommended to me by many of my friends staying there. In fact it is on the highway itself (on the left side while coming towards Bangalore). If you are coming from Chennai, you need to get over a bridge facing the Vellore district collector office. You can see that office on the right side of the bridge (while on the top). Once you cross that bridge, you need to cross the 2nd bridge as well. Immediately after that 2nd bridge, you need to join the service road and you can see a BP petrol station. It is also called as GV petrol station. I heard it is owned by the owner of Vellore Institute of Technology college.

Wish you happy and safe riding.

NOTE: By the way, I remember you saying about taking the RC for a track ride. Hope you are able to do that very soon and post your experience.

Last edited by shan_ned : 13th January 2015 at 10:12.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed