Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2014, 19:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Honda CB Unicorn 160

Looks fresh & new, especially in the white-red combo colour scheme (Googled it). Things that I'm wondering about -

1. Doesn't the seat slant forwards much more than the current 150 Unicorn? This slant really is a back & knee killer for commuter segment.

2. Are the wheels now smaller @17" compared to the old 18 inchers? I really hope not. Love the 18 inch wheels.

3. It looks more of a mix and match of existing parts from other bike bins. Not a crime at all. But I hope the 150 Unicorn is retained. Its sober design is simply timeless & elegant. Will always have buyers even with the 160 in market.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 12:49   #17
Team-BHP Support

Here are some more images of the upcoming Honda CB Unicorn 160.

The Honda CB Unicorn 160-unicorn-1.jpg

The Honda CB Unicorn 160-unicorn2.jpg

The Honda CB Unicorn 160-unicorn3.jpg

The Honda CB Unicorn 160-unicorn4.jpg

Source: Bikewaale
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 12:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Personally I feel in this segment the new Gixxer is the bike to beat. That bike oozes class and quality and finish and the engine (and gearbox) is a gem. Not to mention it looks premium too. Like a small imported (far east) bike.
I have not ridden the bike but going by the power and torque figures,the only thing going for the Gixxer are the looks. Why not go for the Yamaha FZ series then which comes with FI now? Coming to the Honda, unless it is targeted specifically at commuters, Honda has faltered big time as far as looks go. Look at the compeititon - New Gixxer, Yamaha FZ and even new Pulsar 200.
Old 11th December 2014, 13:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I have not ridden the bike but going by the power and torque figures,the only thing going for the Gixxer are the looks. Why not go for the Yamaha FZ series then which comes with FI now?
The FZ FI is better than Gixxer in terms of fuel efficiency. But is more expensive than the Gixxer and the performance is considerably poorer.
The Gixxer does 0-100 in around 15s. The FZ-FI takes almost 20s (source PowerDrift)
The Gixxer is a great all rounder with good looks, performance, handling, Suzuki reliability(GS150Rs are bullet proof), decent fuel efficiency(40+ kmpl).
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 13:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
The FZ FI is better than Gixxer in terms of fuel efficiency. But is more expensive than the Gixxer and the performance is considerably poorer.
The Gixxer does 0-100 in around 15s. The FZ-FI takes almost 20s (source PowerDrift)
The Gixxer is a great all rounder with good looks, performance, handling, Suzuki reliability(GS150Rs are bullet proof), decent fuel efficiency(40+ kmpl).
I am sorry but I take the performance figures especially for 150cc bike with a bags full of salt. Very often I have found out that the performance in the real world is entirely different and is based on a number of factors. That said, the FZ may not have the bhp advantage on paper, the fueling is more precise owing to FI and it will perform much better at high altitudes, not to mention better mileage too. FI is also the reason why Yamaha is more expensive but not prohibitively so. I also find the Yamaha bikes to have the best overall quality amongst all the bikes made and sold in India.
Gixxer no doubt is good looking but the 150cc engine is off putting.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 21:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am sorry but I take the performance figures especially for 150cc bike with a bags full of salt.
I didn't get that part about why you take the performance figures for 150cc bike with a bag full of salt. The FZ and Gixxer both are tuned for midrange. The power delivery pattern is similar. Mid range is the strong point of both bikes and the numerous comparos in the internet state that the Gixxer feels punchier than the FZ all through the power band.
Quote:
Very often I have found out that the performance in the real world is entirely different and is based on a number of factors. That said, the FZ may not have the bhp advantage on paper,
The real world performance would be different if we are comparing bikes with different power pattern like FZ vs R15. But here both are street fighters with midrange being the strongest point and the FZ's 25% disadvantage in 0-100 shows that the performance is noticeably weaker.
The Gixxer not only has the performance advantage on paper, but in real world too.
Quote:
the fueling is more precise owing to FI and it will perform much better at high altitudes, not to mention better mileage too.
About fueling, the Japanese do this so good even with a carb that the slight improvements hardly have any practical pluses IMO. The Gixxer is said to have great fueling and the carb FZ too is great in this regard. I don't think anyone choosing Gixxer will miss out the additional precision offered by FI practically and unless he is nitpicking.
About performance in higher altitudes, I agree, but that applies only to people who live in such areas/travel to those places frequently. Most of India doesn't have such issues and these bikes are mainly used for commuting in cities. So it shouldn't matter at all except in the cases mentioned above.
Quote:
FI is also the reason why Yamaha is more expensive but not prohibitively so. I also find the Yamaha bikes to have the best overall quality amongst all the bikes made and sold in India.
The additional mileage will help. But with the difference in prices. It won't recover till 20000km on the ODO with the current fuel prices. But again, it'll still help in the long run
It's a question of 25% performance disadvantage v/s 15% fuel efficiency advantage. I'd say it's upto the person's requirement of performance v/s FE. That additional performance will definitely help if the person plans to take it to highways. The FZ not only has lesser top speed, but the top end acceleration is very weak too. Even with slightly more windblast than usual, it struggles to even see 100 km/h.

I agree about Yamaha's build quality, but the Gixxer isn't much behind either. Apart from the switchgears, everything on the bike has great quality.

Quote:
Gixxer no doubt is good looking but the 150cc engine is off putting.
I am confused. Why only Gixxer? The FZ too has an 150cc engine right? Isn't the weaker 150 in the FZ even further off putting?

I don't own Gixxer or any Suzuki bike, but IMO, it is the best aircooled 150 in India right now with the combination of FZ's looks, smoothness and reliability and RTR's performance and fuel efficiency. It is also arguably the best handler in the segment.

Last edited by theredliner : 11th December 2014 at 21:43.
theredliner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 15:24   #22
Team-BHP Support

Honda has launched the CB Unicorn 160 in India.

The bike is available in two variants:
Standard - Rs. 69,350 (ex-showroom, Delhi)
CBS - Rs. 74,414 (ex-showroom, Delhi)

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 21:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Honda has launched the CB Unicorn 160 in India.

The bike is available in two variants:
Standard - Rs. 69,350 (ex-showroom, Delhi)
CBS - Rs. 74,414 (ex-showroom, Delhi)

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Strangest thing is - the ground clearance seems to have come down substantially. From 179mm in Unicorn150 to 150mm in unicorn160!!

And Unicorn160 seems to be priced tad lower than the Trigger.

Didn't understand this strategy.
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if the digital speedo console can be fitted into first generation Unicorn? Other than the speedo console, I don't see anything new in the 160 that I would want in my 2005 Unicorn.

Last edited by zenren : 22nd December 2014 at 11:20.
Old 3rd January 2015, 20:23   #25
BHPian

Honda Launches 160cc Unicorn

Hello Everyone,

(Mods - Please merge with applicable thread)

So Honda went and launched the Unicorn 160cc......

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/honda-c...india-rs-69350

Saw this news on 2 other websites:

http://www.rediff.com/getahead/repor...e/20141227.htm

and...

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/news/308...s-69350-a.html

IMHO I am absolutely disappointed!!!! What has gone wrong? Who gives the HMSI Management advise on what makes a good bike?? Or is Honda subscribing to the "have 2 wheels, is motorcycle" concept?? This company is a motorcycling pioneer. To see it be reduced to a producer of unexciting bikes in India is painful.....

Regards,
Indraneel Bhat
Old 3rd January 2015, 21:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Launches 160cc Unicorn

^^^ Why so sad? Unicorn has been selling with the same uninspiring engine for a decade or more, and happily so. It is not necessary for Honda to go and test uncharted waters, as it is doing very well in its defined segment.

Except CBR, which other honda two wheeler is not 'unexciting'? It is not 'reduced to a producer of unexciting bikes', it is 'continuing to be so'.
Old 4th January 2015, 16:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
^^^ Why so sad? Unicorn has been selling with the same uninspiring engine for a decade or more, and happily so. It is not necessary for Honda to go and test uncharted waters, as it is doing very well in its defined segment.

Except CBR, which other honda two wheeler is not 'unexciting'? It is not 'reduced to a producer of unexciting bikes', it is 'continuing to be so'.
Ani,

I agree. It is more about my disappointment towards a company that is known to make waves (albeit quietly) in the rest of the world. I had expected Honda to do something cool. Something better than what Kawasaki and Yamaha did with their lineup. Unfortunately nothing has happened....and even when they see that there is a market for exciting bikes, they continue on the same old path. All for the bottomline. Which in my opinion is a sad path to take.....
Old 4th January 2015, 16:32   #28
BHPian

So will this be replacing the current-gen Unicorn or will they both be sold side-by-side?

I hope this new avtaar continues the legacy of the Unicorn being one of the smoothest bikes to ride and stays as trouble free as the Unicorn is now.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 09:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

I am waiting to see road tests and reviews of this bike. The old Unicorn, while reliable and technically an excellent machine, never was exciting. Mainly because the suspension was very soft and the power delivery lacked punch.

I hope they made this one high-torque on the low end (like the FZ) and power delivery exciting, with a tight suspension. That, combined with Honda reliability, will make for a good package.
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:01   #30

Re: The Honda CB Unicorn 160

It is slightly surprising that Unicorn 160 has no review/ initial report on Team BHP even after 6 months since it's launch.
We should have had 5000km reviews by now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks