Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2006, 09:42   #1
BHPian

where is the speed??-pulsar180cc

Hi Friends,
I have a pulsar 180 dtsi(16.5 bhp)and 2 days back I availed the 4th free service from bajaj service centre and mechanic there told me that there were some wrong settings in carburetter and he has done in OK now, but after service I m facing 2 problems ,First in single ride(85Kg) it’s pickup is good as in the past but with 2 riders(170kg) it seems to loosing its pickup specially a little bit of struggle between 10kmph-60kmph.
Secondly when I tested my bike on a highway(DND flyway toll bridge , delhi) bike acclerated with a nice pickup but I feel some issue with the top speed. After 100kmph it struggled to reach 105kmph and it took almost 8sec. to get ahead of 105kmph and again struggled to reach 110kmph, although after that due to the traffic I went slow but in my view I can take it to 112kmph , but for a pulsar 180 this is not fair,where is the problem ?? please tell me because in my view its top speed is around 125-130kmph.
Also my old pulsar (non-dtsi ) is very fast , it easily go upto 120kmph so is there any difference in there carburetter and which one is better??.
Please reply me as I m very upset with the current performance of my bike.

-----------
Pulsar 180
6 long trip!
Latest - Delhi-hemkunt shahib-Badrinath-Mana-Nanital-Delhi
Next-Kinnaur(3days in total)

objects seen in mirror r disappearing rapidly
Old 8th August 2006, 03:35   #2
BHPian

Check the clutch setting and the carb again .. Top speed depends on a number of reasons Tyre pressure can make a lot of diffrence.
The new pulsar has a rev limiter hence it is slowert than the older one in higher RPM's.
The old pulsar is anyday faster than the new one. Check at what RPM do you clock 110KMPH if it is around 9K then it is the Rev Limiter. Not shore but I think it dose not let the bike cross the 9K mark.

When are you leaving for Kinnaur. I am leaving on Thursday morning for Spiti and Kinnaur.. .

Last edited by bhogalrajnish : 8th August 2006 at 03:37.
Old 8th August 2006, 07:49   #3
BHPian

Hi rajnish

I think the rpm was at 8k or little higher but not 9k and if there is any limiter then what is the way to get rid of this.
Can we make the new pulsar at fast as old pulsar.

I will leave for kinnaur on any of the weekend(friday eve-sat-sun-monday afternoon at delhi) but within august so right now even I m not sure but I will inform u 3 days ahead of my trip.

-----------
Pulsar 180
6 long trip!

Old 9th August 2006, 01:06   #4
BHPian

Every bike has a rev limiter. This is done to preserve the longevity of your engine. There is no way you can get rid of it (Unless you change your CDI with a custom made one to move the rev limter up and maybe a few more mods to enable your bike to rev out more. It all depends on the charecteristics of your engine.) even if you do get rid of it, you will do it at your own peril. Engine life will drop drastically even with a 1k rpm increase.

The first version of pulsar being more fast or slower than the newer version according to me differs from person to person, there are pros and cons when you compare them but again its the way you look at it.

Your mech said there was something wrong with your carburetor. Go back and ask him what was wrong and what did he do to fix it. Most if not all of the bikes are tuned for mileage, he would have done the same thing. Check your spark plugs, see if they are black or white. They have to be neither. If its brown of sorts then its running with the right mixture and you have to check something else to rectify the problem.

P.S. All the best man. Keep touring.

Last edited by TheCockroach : 9th August 2006 at 01:07.
Old 10th August 2006, 08:52   #5
BHPian

Hi TheCockroach vbmenu_register("postmenu_271730", true);

Thanks for giving such a valuable information about the spark plugs and yes, it could be possible that carb. is tuned to the lean for mileage but since my 4th service is completed and now I donot want to take my to Bajaj service center because they people know nothing , they are there only to srewup ur bike.
If anybody knows any good mech. or service center in delhi or nearby plz plz tell me.

-----------
Pulsar 180
6 long trip!

Old 11th August 2006, 00:01   #6
BHPian

I never even dreamed of getting a pulsar. Only 'cos the service centre guys are absolute dolts. The kinda bull**** that they feed people with is so amazing that it isn't even funny. I see that at every service centre irrespective of the brand. But to me seems more profound at the babaj service centres.

Sorry thunder, i'm a bangy boy, not sure of anything outta my city, (Dang! I need to get out more). Carb tuning, plug reading and a lot more can only come off experience but its something that we can do ourself. Try learning more about it. Lots of stuff available on the web. Get in touch with other member on the forum who own pulsar 180's and find out where they get their bikes serviced.

You can get things done by a mech around the corner as long as you follow some ground rules.

1. Never take his word. If he says something that your not sure of, ask around or come back and post and a few of us who have faced the problem will give you some insight into what needs to be done. In the end just use a big of logic and everything will be fine.
2. Never leave your bike with him unattended. Sit with him, find out what he's doing. (nice way to learn too.)
3. Pay him only for labour. Never let him get the parts for your bike. Any parts required, you go get them yourself.

Being a little vigilant, a little patience and you can get a good service for your bike. Know it sounds like a pain in the wrong place to do all this but hey! no pain no gain.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TheCockroach : 11th August 2006 at 00:03.
Old 11th August 2006, 09:22   #7
BHPian

Dear Friend

You are absolutely right , from now onwards I will try to gain the experience and retain the same as a knowldge base for me and others, first of all I will start from checking spark plugs and please tell me something about carb. settings and which one is good for performence as mileage is no issue.

-----------
Pulsar 180
6 long trip!

Old 12th August 2006, 02:45   #8
BHPian

Carb. setting is not as simple as - turn a knob and you get mileage mode or power mode. Its very difficult to understand a carburetor. Carbs are fickle minded, one day they work perfectly and the other they won't. (Again, the atmosphere of that day can be taken into account. For instance, On colder days the air is denser and you bike will run lean and if its hot you bike might run rich).

I'm having a problem with my bike right now. Installed a free flow airfilter, drilled out a 118 main jet fitted it and to my amazement it worked beautifully at the first go. Later had to give it for a wash and knew the guys there would screw the filter so removed it and ran the stock filter for a while (Was kinda lazy to change it back) now with the same filter and the same jet the damn thing flutters at higher RPM and kinda cuts out at exactly 8k RPM. No amount of tuning is fixing it and i'm still breaking my head over it. So it isn't a small task.

Can't really explain how to tune a carb. Its done mostly by touch and feel of the carb and the bike. So get to know someone in Delhi who knows a fews things about tuning a carb and learn from them. There are plenty of guides on the web to tune a carb, you read all of them and get to tuning your carb and you will be stumped. Believe me I know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks