Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2014, 12:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tiger Woods is Hero MotoCorp's global brand ambassador

Hero MotoCorp has confirmed Tiger Woods as their new global brand ambassador. The Indian two wheeler maker is hoping to improve its connect with markets such as the USA & Europe. Hero MotoCorp is the world's largest two wheeler maker, but currently has little recognition in the regions.

Woods has signed a four year deal with the brand for an undisclosed amount. The announcement came in 2 days before the PGA world challenge begins. Hero signed on as a title sponsor for the event in September 2014 & it is now called the Hero World Challenge.

Tiger Woods isn't likely to have a strong connect with commuter motorcycle buyers. However, Hero plans to launch premium offerings like the 620 cc 'Hastur' street fighter & 'Leap' hybrid scooter in the future. The partnership with Woods could be seen as a move to lay down the brand's foundation for such models in developed markets.

Source: Livemint

Tiger Woods is Hero MotoCorp's global brand ambassador-herotigerwoods621x414.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 3rd December 2014 at 12:12.
Tushar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 12:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tiger Woods is Hero MotoCorp's global brand ambassador

Its for 250 crore. Hopefully, they will devise a strategy to make use of that amount !
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Its for 250 crore. Hopefully, they will devise a strategy to make use of that amount !
I am sure they will! By Introducing a new Splendor called the Splendor Tiger +
Captain Slow is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:16   #4
Mik
BHPian

I am not able to wrap my head around this partnership. How does a Golf icon connect to a motorcycle brand. Traditionally Golf has been associated with premium brands and connoisseur products.
A Hastur or any of Hero's new products are pretty edgy when it comes to design and will appeal to an entirely different segment of buyers. Wouldn't a more 'edgy' celebrity like a Hollywood bad boy or an action sports icon (Hamilton?) be a better choice.

Please throw some light - Strategy/Marketing people ?
Mik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:17   #5
BHPian

Damn man I had no idea I wanted to see Tiger Woods riding a Splendor.

On a serious note, Hero sponsors a lot of tournaments at my club and I believe Hero is also a sponsor for the PGTI so getting Tiger will help give the game a boost. Media attention is always a good thing. I believe this is the first instance in which a Indian manufacturer has gone for a big sporting celebrity. Hugh Jackman for Micromax does not count.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:23   #6
BHPian

Hero has identified global growth and new markets as their next strategy. The majority of their executive focus is going into that.

Even on the domestic front I see the talk of global expansion and focus creeping in. Unfortunately this is not that helpful to the domestic consumer or the dealer.
kumarshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:35   #7
BHPian

In my opinion the thinking behind this move must be that Tiger Woods is a face well known around the world. That is something you are looking for in a brand ambassador when you are targeting overseas markets especially the Americas.
Still how did they zero in on him is something quite surprising.
anoop_lamba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I am not able to wrap my head around this partnership. How does a Golf icon connect to a motorcycle brand. Traditionally Golf has been associated with premium brands and connoisseur products.
I think it has a lot to do with the two sides having a very publicized split from their previous partners? Atleast that's the only common thing I can think of to bridge these two
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
I believe this is the first instance in which a Indian manufacturer has gone for a big sporting celebrity. Hugh Jackman for Micromax does not count.
Not a sporting celebrity, but I guess the first Indian guys to go big globally were Bajaj. Or have we forgotten Jackie Chan and his 'Discover'y of India?
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop_lamba View Post
Still how did they zero in on him is something quite surprising.
They are probably hoping that Indians don't know about his sex scandal which rules him out of most endorsements.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They are probably hoping that Indians don't know about his sex scandal which rules him out of most endorsements.
Maybe he adds that sex appeal that Hero Motors is desperately looking for?

On a more serious note, I guess this endorsement is bound to get noticed given that Tiger Woods would hardly have any endorsements since the scandal came out in the open.
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
On the lighter side, that is the only thing most if us Indians know about him. Golf? What's that?
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Do they have plan for larger/different bikes than their current stable or they wish to beat the Karizma and Splendor horses dead even abroad?
They could've invested this 250 crore in R&D and produced results in 4 years time ... ?

ooops, missed the point about 'Hastur'

Last edited by alpha1 : 3rd December 2014 at 15:37.
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:17   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Must say, Hero MotoCorp sure is pushing all the right buttons in terms of publicity. They're on a roll ever since the divorce with Honda. Lets not forget that, in 2013 WITHOUT Honda, Hero recorded its best ever annual sales.

They showcased a wide range of bikes at the Expo, is beefing up its export presence, just announced two new plants internationally, acquired a good stake in Buell motorcycles etc. etc. And now, they get one of the biggest sports celebrities as their brand ambassador.

Post the separation from Honda, Hero is doing a lot, lot better than most people predicted they would. Good show!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

^ True that GTO!

And to add, me thinks that Woods (sic) is the optimum choice given the snazzy lineup they expect to launch.
HERO might be trying to rely on some implicit connection between the types of opportunities Woods had (off the field, of course!) and the potential for the same for the customers of their future products.

What a great strategy!
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks