Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 14:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed

How many of you can say you got a RD 350 gifted to you? And that too at a time when a bike in whatever condition goes for a lac plus.

The Prelude:

I love bikes from childhood, my previous bike was a gift too, it came in running condition but was in need of love, a lot of it. Link to my old thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-rx-100-a.html

This thread was not updated and my RX 100 is now in showroom condition a daily ride, 100% niggle free. It was not like this before 6-7 Months.

On a casual chat with a close friend of mine we decided to do up his RX 135 tiger and my RX 100. Link to my other thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...different.html

We finished the build in record time and we bonded quite well during these weekend builds and we started missing our build time so much that we decided to take apart our bikes and rebuild them.

We started looking for new bikes and all were either overpriced or without proper papers. We didn’t want restored bikes and unrestored bike were ~ 5k less than the restored ones.

On a casual chat we decided let’s not just get any bike let’s get an RD, so my first call was to my Friend Yusha, who owned multiple RDs at one point in time. He said he lost one bike and another one is in parts and shamelessly asked him if he is willing to part with his bike (the one in parts).

The answer was obvious; he being nice said "No". I started probing him about the other bike and he finally told me that he left the bike at one of the apartments in Noida and never got a chance to get it, this was 7 years ago, Chances of finding it was extremely low still i wanted to try my luck. I asked him if he will sell it to me if i find it(i know i am no James Bond, but still)

He said you can have it and i could barely believe what i heard and my search began for this mystical RD. I called in friends, friends of friends and every other person i could think of.

Finally on a Sunday i get a call from one of my friend

Friend: Did you check you mobile?

Me: No

Friend: Check kar na !

He sends me 2 pics of a very grainy image of an RD in absolute darkness and i jump out of my bed, I immediately wake up Yusha on his Sunday holiday and he confirms, that’s it.

In the next couple of weeks i was planning to get the bike to Trivandrum ASAP, again called up a lot of people. they all needed the original RC and i was paranoid i knew what was the value of a bike and what was the value of original papers. I finally convinced my parents (who stay in Delhi) to help me.

One fine Sunday both my parents went to the location the bike was parked and finally i realized why the bike was parked there safely for 7 years.

The location was as per the below map.
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417929331.826066.jpg

My friend already informed me The place was guarded heavily, nobody could go in or come out without being noticed. Which was a blessing in disguise, the bike was there in all it's glory.

I asked my parents to help they went and spoke to the society secretary, he was a helpful man, he wanted the bike out as much as we did, little did we know he had a sinister plan.

In the mean while I called agarwal packers and movers, and booked the bike to be transported.

On the D day the packers arrived with a Tata Ace and started packing. A security guard walks up and says the secretary wants to have a word with my dad, and he drops a bomb, he wanted 12k for parking charges, I got the bike free, but I was not prepared to grease every palm on the way, after a lot of arguments he agrees for 1200 inr. And we pay him through cheque(god bless my mom and dad they saw this coming and carried their cheque book).

Some packing pics.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417929969.313112.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417929995.928410.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417930020.481159.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417930043.012275.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417930065.673616.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417930097.843242.jpg

From that moment on my endless wait started. It took them 14 days and finally I had it delivered Thursday night. More pics to follow.

Finally the D day arrived, i could not survive the anxiety and fell sick

I was promised by Aggarwal Packers that the Bike would arrive early morning on 4th December. i called them at 9 AM and they gave me a rude shock, the bike was just dispatched from Cochin and will arrive only by evening Frustrati each second became longer and i could barely hold myself, i got the driver's number and started calling him. Long story short, i travelled with him from cochin to Trivandrum.

Finally the truck arrived at 7 PM almost 10 hours from the time it started. There was a big dent on the tank, the crash guard was bent the centre stand was broken.

But it arrived that was the big news. Some unwrapping Pics

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0002.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0003.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0004.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0005.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0006.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0007.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0008.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0009.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0010.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0011.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0012.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0013.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0014.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0015.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0016.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0017.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0018.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0019.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0020.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0021.jpg

Soon it was given a pressure wash and tucked in for the night.

Pramod

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2014 at 15:10. Reason: Merging both your posts, with the latest update in the opening post
pramodkumar is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 15:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
To Be continued….
This has all the makings of a suspense thriller. All the best with this magnificent machine. Keep us updated,
Old 5th December 2014, 15:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

one sentence, YOU ARE LUCKY!
RD lost and found after 7 years need to be added to the book of records. I'm wondering how it survived for these many years?

Anyways congrats on this precious gift and all the very best for the restoration. I'm glued t this thread.

PS: Do post those grainy snaps.
Old 5th December 2014, 15:21   #4
BHPian

I just can't wait for the update. So thrilling. Your ending line makes our hearts beat faster. Your love for bikes is truly immense. I was also very stunned to see an RD in my locality, only to find that the owner is never ever going to part with it. Bikes like Bullets and RD s are very hard to part with.
Eagerly waiting...
Old 5th December 2014, 15:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
This has all the makings of a suspense thriller. All the best with this magnificent machine. Keep us updated,
Its going to be one without doubt, My buddy has decided to make it the best documented rebuild as possible and being a CEO of an animation company, i believe he will do justice to the videos and pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
one sentence, YOU ARE LUCKY!
RD lost and found after 7 years need to be added to the book of records. I'm wondering how it survived for these many years?

Anyways congrats on this precious gift and all the very best for the restoration. I'm glued t this thread.
Its indeed a precious Gift.

Quote:
PS: Do post those grainy snaps.
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0022.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_0023.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
I just can't wait for the update. So thrilling. Your ending line makes our hearts beat faster. Your love for bikes is truly immense. I was also very stunned to see an RD in my locality, only to find that the owner is never ever going to part with it. Bikes like Bullets and RD s are very hard to part with.
Eagerly waiting...
Finding an RD is very difficult these days and getting one for sale is equally difficult, primerly because of the numebr of time pass offers people get and they just say its not for sale, you need perseverance to get one. you will have enough time till you can legally ride one (never compare bullets with RDs, it will be a container of worms no one should never attempt to open)

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 5th December 2014 at 15:49.
pramodkumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 16:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

The tear Down

We decided to wash it before tearing it down.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-1.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-2.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-3.jpg

It was a plesent sight to see the bike under the dust finally. without much fiddling we decided to tuck the bike in. We took her out on Saturday.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-4.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-5.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-6.jpg

The Engine freed finally, the engine was the main reason why the bike got stuck in the basement of the appartment building, apperently Yusha's friend rode the bike without premix and the engine ceased, he still managed to ride couple of kms.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-7.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-8.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-9.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-10.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-11.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-12.jpg
the right bank was fine (didnt have major issues) the left side was badly screwed with broken sleaves and jammed crank. The heads were not too bad.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-13.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-14.jpg

Assorted parts
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-15.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-16.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-17.jpg

A crude Cataloging attempt.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-18.jpg

Not too bad mudguards (surprises awaiting)

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-19.jpg

Working meters, broken right side cover

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-20.jpg

Seat Plate was great condition, the dome is a gonner.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-21.jpg

New Stuff
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-23.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-22.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-24.jpg

Brand new cylinder kits from Hyderabad, guys I know everything about those pistons so let not go there.
In the mean time we selected the color, British racing green from the lotus catalogue

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-25.jpg
Tried my hands at buffing, Ian not than bad either. For now just stripped paint, tomorrow a busy day.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-26.jpg

PS: The mechanic looking guy is me

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 31st December 2014 at 16:52.
pramodkumar is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 17:03   #7
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Moving out from Assembly Section. Thanks for sharing.

Wow wow wow. This is just awesome find and i am gonna eagerly look forward to this thread. Reminds me of a scene about a decade back when i had my bedroom converted into an assembly area and slept on the corridors for weeks

What is the plan for the side covers? Are you painting it or powder coating them?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 17:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What is the plan for the side covers? Are you painting it or powder coating them?
I am little behind schedule on this thread, the side covers are to be painted and not powder coated. Reason, i wanted to buff the lines to mirror finish with powder coating the finish is also not guaranteed, bought 200 ML of Dupont Satin Black for this job.

The chassis is back from the powder coating, all the bits and bobs are also powder coated (only side stand remains).
Oil seals and packing kits are bought. Carburettors cleaned and re assembled.
All metal screws given for zync dipping, rear hub is given for buffing. All chrome bits are off to the plating guys.
The engine reassembly would start early next week. The crank needs a complete rebuild to start with.
I need a Side stand, any help would be appreciated.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 19:29   #9
BHPian

I am visualizing the result of this painstaking restoration. Envious green faces where every you go All the best with your restoration Pramod and looking forward to see the RD setting the streets of Trivandrum on fire.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 16:30   #10
BHPian

Totally hooked to this thread! I am myself looking for such an RD to restore over the weekends and get my hands dirty. Would ping you for assistance, if its not too much of a trouble.

Awaiting further progress of your build.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 18:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I am visualizing the result of this painstaking restoration. Envious green faces where every you go All the best with your restoration Pramod and looking forward to see the RD setting the streets of Trivandrum on fire.
regards adrian
Thanks, Me too looking forward to set some streets on fire. Btw there is a long stretch of isolated newly resurfaced Tarmac behind my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Totally hooked to this thread! I am myself looking for such an RD to restore over the weekends and get my hands dirty. Would ping you for assistance, if its not too much of a trouble.

Awaiting further progress of your build.
Feel free to ping me.

Guys I need help. Can anybody get me an Avenger/Fiero F2 hub?

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 19:41   #12
BHPian

Finally,I've been waiting for a good build to pop up on T-bhp.

I love these kinda barn-find(Apartment parking lot find rather)builds.Can't wait to see how its gonna turn out.Will you be sticking to stock looks-wise?

Regards

Bov
Old 1st January 2015, 19:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Can anybody get me an Avenger/Fiero F2 hub?
Fiero F2 hubs is bit difficult to get. We ended up buying a used one from old market (Puthupet)
Avenger hubs are easy to get. Have you checked with Bajaj A.S.S? If yes and with least success, do let me know.
Old 1st January 2015, 20:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Finally,I've been waiting for a good build to pop up on T-bhp.

I love these kinda barn-find(Apartment parking lot find rather)builds.Can't wait to see how its gonna turn out.Will you be sticking to stock looks-wise?

Regards

Bov
It will be more or less stock looking, only upgrade is a much needed disk breaks at the front, which I have already procured. Look wise I am hopeful of seeing something killer as designing is completely outsourced to my buddy

Quote:
Fiero F2 hubs is bit difficult to get. We ended up buying a used one from old market (Puthupet)
Avenger hubs are easy to get. Have you checked with Bajaj A.S.S? If yes and with least success, do let me know.
I have checked with all Bajaj A S S here, none of them have it. They say they will get it but I have waited long enough and there is absolutely no success. I saw one at a junk yard at 1000 bucks(new one is 900 odd). I have bought a meter worm for the avenger, I hope to find an avenger hub. I also bought a petal disk from the RTR so I am equally hopefull of finding an F2 hub

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 22:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Updates... Updates

Got the seat done today, the work is simply top notch and the price was the icing on the cake, just 400 for the seat cover and 127 for the beading. Got a rx 100 beading instead or the RD beading.

Got the illusive avenger hub at just 655 inr(brand new), had to drive 50km for it, but who cares

The apache rtr disc are perfect match, but bought a avenger disk just in case. Gave the hub and a bit more stuff for plating. Will get the stuff by next weekend. Hopefull start re assembling stuff by then. The front end will be back tomorrow.

I will post some daytime pics tomorrow.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 2nd January 2015 at 22:55.
pramodkumar is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks