Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 12:55   #31
BHPian

Re: Office commute bike for 1.5 - 2.5 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
1) NS200 - OTR 1,04,000

Pro - Price, best Bajaj bike ever. Decent handling and good for city.
Con - Little too high seat position. Bro is 5'6". Bajaj engine life after 30000 kms or 3 yrs of use. Grip issue with stock tyre (Is Bajaj offering TVS or MRF tyres now??). Suspension hard.
I have done 32000 kms on my 200 NS(July 2012 Model) now without any issues whatsoever with the engine. Mileage is a healthy ~ 38 kmpl.
I have never faced any heating issues whatsoever, everything functions the way it should.Quality is much much better than any of the bajaj bikes which have been launched earlier. 100 comes at 6800 rpm on 6th gear which is very very relaxed for a free revving engine. Braking is the best in class or a one or two class above. A tight bike to control and manouever.

Bike still looks spanking new.

New 200 NS is coming with MRF tyres and no more Eurogrips(Euroslips ).However, an upgrade to Pirellis will take it to a different level.

Last edited by InControl : 9th December 2014 at 12:59. Reason: Added heating, quality etc
InControl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 21:43   #32
BHPian

I believe a Tata Nano Twist makes a lot of sense here. It is frugal to run, is small enough to maneuver around and safe enough for City purpose.

Also the commute from Electronic City to WTC daily can be a huge pain and some stereo will help pass the time. It is almost indispensable for my Commute from BTM to ORR - RMZ Ecospace.

I would advise a bike only if the commute is at max 8 Kms. Anything more and a small city car is better both by safety, to avoid pollution and for those more than occasional showers of rain
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 09:24   #33
BHPian

Office commute bike for 1.5 - 2.5 Lakhs-1418182753776.jpg
A small stat by BTP. Let's not add to that stat. Ask him to carpool.If its not an option, then I'd suggest selecting a motorcycle based on conveniences.
1. Select something which has a service station or a reliable mechanic closer to home or work.
2. Easily available spare parts.
3. Should be fun to ride. A motorcycle which is fun to ride will take away half the tiredness.
anilupadhya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 16:19   #34
BHPian

Well!! There are many people suggesting against Duke 200, but trust me it's just perfect for the Bangalore traffic and short bursts of 100kmph You need to ride it to know it. I personally haven't felt any uncomfortable feeling riding it over the past few months.

The shortcomings are less when your heart races along with the Duke's insane pick up. It will be perfect to kill the boredom of 60+ kms daily commute
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 18:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Care to elaborate? I thought it was the Duke's engine (with some changes) that is in the Pulsar NS. The Duke isn't perfect, but so far I haven't heard any engine related gremlins.
I have ridden the Duke200 exactly 32090 kms and its stone dead now. It just refuses to start, in the beginning it felt like a sudden loss of compression but after about a month, it just went dead one day while , I was out on a ride. Due to my busy schedule, I have not been able to take it to the KTM authorized workshop and I fear it is the valves which are the culprit here. The Duke200 never had a consistent, refined engine nothing very different from the Pulsars, which are great until the 30000 kms range.
Old 10th December 2014, 19:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
Well!! There are many people suggesting against Duke 200, but trust me it's just perfect for the Bangalore traffic and short bursts of 100kmph You need to ride it to know it. I personally haven't felt any uncomfortable feeling riding it over the past few months.

The shortcomings are less when your heart races along with the Duke's insane pick up. It will be perfect to kill the boredom of 60+ kms daily commute
Ok but why would one spend 60% more on a Duke when NS200 gives 90% (or more) of its performance?

This thread is for my brother, but I booked an NS200 yesterday and will get it tomorrow
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 20:28   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Ok but why would one spend 60% more on a Duke when NS200 gives 90% (or more) of its performance?

This thread is for my brother, but I booked an NS200 yesterday and will get it tomorrow
+1 about the NS200. Even I'm one of those who feels the NS200 is more VFM than the D200. Personal choice, nothing else.

Coming to your brother's case. Has he finalized any bike? If I were in his place, it would be either a RE(350/500 cc, latter one for the sheer power) or the CBR250R. Btw, the CBR300R is not yet in the market right?

Royal Enfield because - It is arguably the best bike for long rides, nothing comes close to the comfort levels an RE can provide. 100kph bursts? Yes.
And might not be that big a task to maneuver it in the traffic IMO. It is manageable. It is not at all bad in this respect.

CBR250R/300R because - Good performance both in the city and highway. Excellent overall package. 100kph burst will also be managed with ease. Might not be as comfortable as an RE, still a good tourer IMO.

Both the bikes have the 'big-bike' feel and his money will be well spent

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 21:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok but why would one spend 60% more on a Duke when NS200 gives 90% (or more) of its performance
The Duke is sharper, faster, just basically more fun and THAT much more sexier than the NS. I personally love the Duke's styling and love its raw nakedness. Not to say that the NS is bad, but the KTM is in a different league altogether

A bike is a sum of its parts. While the NS' engine may share componenets from the KTM, that trellis frame, aluminum bits, WP forks etc. on the Katoom do make a difference to both the performance as well as cost of the bike

Again, not saying the NS is a bad machine, but I find your comment on "no logic of buying the Duke over the NS" quite baseless
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 21:55   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

Again, not saying the NS is a bad machine, but I find your comment on "no logic of buying the Duke over the NS" quite baseless
No dude. I was just trying to understand. You have a point.
Old 10th December 2014, 22:22   #40
BHPian

Having used the 390 for about 31000 kms now, I would strongly suggest NOT going for it for Bangalore traffic. I've gotten stuck near Marathalli on a few occasions, and the super hard clutch forced me to park the bike on the side to ease the pain in my left hand Heat is bearable, finger pain is not.

I am surprised the Avenger hasn't been discussed even once. It's a very capable bike, can do high speeds, is easy to handle, and is an overall bang for the buck machine.

If I had to choose a bike around a lac, I would blindly go for the RTR 180 ABS, simply because it has ABS. The peace of mind you get with that item of tech makes riding so much more enjoyable. Yes the riding position is not as good as others out there, but it's nothing as crazy as the R15.
Old 11th December 2014, 00:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Good choice.. I see you have taken a safer route considering the bad experience you've had with the ZMR. Or should I say the dilemma you've had with the ZMR.

You Could have waited for the start of 2015. The 200ss is touted to hit the showrooms soon. Might just come with an FI. I understand your predicament with the FI system.
But for actual piece of mind, I'd still choose a motorcycle with closed loop fuel injection than a carburetor'd one. Tuning a carburetor is an art not mastered by many. A art which is slowly dying. The older mechanics tuned through touch like its an extension of themselves. A perfect tune will give you a smooth, fuel efficient, reliable motorcycle. The current gen service personnel are not capable of it.. They just want to get done with service at the earliest. They care a damn.

If you are still going ahead with the carb, then find yourself a good mechanic. Difficulty finding one? Let me know, I'll direct you to a master I know.
anilupadhya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 11:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to ruin it for your brother but I doubt if he will survive even a day of this commute considering it is through the thick of Bangalore traffic. There is no scope for 100kmph. Electronic City to Yeswantpur is not a joke.

The 230cc Hero is probably his best bet from your list.

Going by the description you have given about your brother, a TVS Apache might be the best fit.
Old 11th December 2014, 16:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations! That's a very sensible decision. Wish your bro many happy miles on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
I have ridden the Duke200 exactly 32090 kms and its stone dead now. It just refuses to start, in the beginning it felt like a sudden loss of compression but after about a month, it just went dead one day while , I was out on a ride. Due to my busy schedule, I have not been able to take it to the KTM authorized workshop and I fear it is the valves which are the culprit here. The Duke200 never had a consistent, refined engine nothing very different from the Pulsars, which are great until the 30000 kms range.
I'm really surprised to read this, would like to know what the diagnosis on this is. Well, I have a classic 180 from circa Jan/Feb 2001 still going strong, the bike has crossed over 1.5L KMS on it. I have taken real good care of it perhaps that explains the longevity.
Old 12th December 2014, 09:20   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Congratulations! That's a very sensible decision. Wish your bro many happy miles on it.
Dear, that 200NS is for the OP & not his brother.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 09:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Dear, that 200NS is for the OP & not his brother.
Yikes, had to re-read Sams post
Thanks for pointing it out.

cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed