Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2014, 23:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Office commute bike for 1.5 - 2.5 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSree View Post
Would that be duke 390 or RC 390? Is there any difference between the two?
Same frame and engine (maybe a little fine-tuning), but the rear subframe is different, resulting in a steeper headstock and steeper rake angle.

The RC390 is thus sharper steering, with a shorter wheelbase as well. The bars are lower, the rider triangle is racy (crouching low). While this does take the weight off the back, it stresses the wrist and shoulders more.

For commuting, the Duke is a better bet, unless you like the sporty ergos. The RC390 does have better headlamps than the Duke though.
Old 14th December 2014, 01:16   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @Urban_Nomad.

Would that be duke 390 or RC 390? Is there any difference between the two? Sorry if I sound too naive, I'm not sure about the sport style rides, remember backache?
It all comes down to the ergos you are more comfortable with. If you prefer sporty, it's the RC, else the duke

The only other thing I would bear in mind would be if in future You might think of another use for the bike, such as touring. Then definitely not the RC. And it's not because of the riding position. I know people who have toured the length n breadth of this country on an R15, a motorcycle with an extremely focused riding position

It's because I just cannot figure out how one would tie any luggage on the RC. On the flip side though, if you see a lot if track days in your future, it's gotta be the RC

The technical differences between the two bikes have been documented by Ricci above

Hope this helps. All the best

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 14th December 2014 at 01:17.
Old 14th December 2014, 12:51   #63
BHPian

Why not to wait for Bajaj 200 SS or 400 SS?
400 SS would be better in terms of suspension and pricing as compared to Duke 390. And stress free 100+ kmph would be a piece of cake for 400SS. IMO if it fits the budget and fuel efficiency is not a concern, always opt for higher CC as no replacement for displacement!
Old 14th December 2014, 18:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

^^ Pretty definitive comments for a bike yet to be launched, no?

how will the suspension be better? And are you saying the 400 ss will have a higher displacement than the 390?

Do tell!!!
Old 14th December 2014, 19:12   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, @a4anurag.

I'm aware of the fatigue factor and all. But it's only 50 km each way, not 100; also, the road is so good and inviting it would be criminal to ignore its beckoning

After driving the boring Indigo for one year, I'm dying for a change. I'm also sure this itching to ride a bike will wane away after a while :rolleyes:

That's why I wanna mix n match. May be some time later, I may be wanting to pedal my way on a road bike. (Just kiddi

I've tried riding on my Apache for a couple of months. While the ride pepped up my mood, the bike gave me a backache. Hence the search for a suitable ONE.

BTW, traffic is very light on this highway, hence maintaining speeds doesn't drain your energies for a forty minute ride. However, you are right about hitting a ton only when the road permits.

Thanks for the suggestion. As I mentioned in my other post, I've concerns over this RE. Things I've heard:

1. Niggles. RE bikes are full of them.
2. Vibrations. RE bikes will rattle you to the bone when pushed beyond 80kmph.

Any light on these? Thanks again.
I have been riding a TBTS 500 for over two years and it is capable of cruising at 100 KPH all day long and the vibrations are ok ill you hit 110 KPH. However 100 Km / day would mean over 2500 KM / month and I can't really comment how reliable it would be over long term. There are few bikes which can match it in terms of comfort . I once rode to Chandigarh and back the same day ( 560 KM +) and was pretty fresh after the tip. Ravi frequently takes his TBTS for really long rides and has not complained of any discomfort in any of his posts.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 14th December 2014 at 19:14.
Old 14th December 2014, 20:33   #66
BHPian

I'm really surprised to read this, would like to know what the diagnosis on this is. Well, I have a classic 180 from circa Jan/Feb 2001 still going strong, the bike has crossed over 1.5L KMS on it. I have taken real good care of it perhaps that explains the longevity.[/quote]

Took my bike down, the culprit was the fuel pump and injector could have been because of the quality of oil, However I can feel that it is time to replace the timing chain. The first generation Pulsars were great, simple engine layout, good build too.
Old 15th December 2014, 08:17   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
The RC390 is thus sharper steering, with a shorter wheelbase as well. The bars are lower, the rider triangle is racy (crouching low). While this does take the weight off the back, it stresses the wrist and shoulders more.

For commuting, the Duke is a better bet, unless you like the sporty ergos. The RC390 does have better headlamps than the Duke though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
It all comes down to the ergos you are more comfortable with. If you prefer sporty, it's the RC, else the duke.

The technical differences between the two bikes have been documented by Ricci above

Hope this helps. All the best
That rules out the RC390 then. Will TD the Duke to know more about her. Basically, I'm somewhat sceptical about sport style rides for 'daily commute' usage. Also, we don't have a KTM dealer at our place, if at all I choose one, I've to come to Hyderabad for all my servicing needs. That weighs a little in favour of the TBTS 500, but then, I'm not too sure about it too.

Now, I'm dreaming. Is there a bike, cruiser style, like the TBTS 500, that offers all the comfort, stability and power/torque; minus the niggles that come with TBTS 500 by offering latest technology, loaded with latest tech like ABS and all... for about the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Why not to wait for Bajaj 200 SS or 400 SS?
Please see above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
I have been riding a TBTS 500 for over two years and it is capable of cruising at 100 KPH all day long and the vibrations are ok ill you hit 110 KPH.

There are few bikes which can match it in terms of comfort . I once rode to Chandigarh and back the same day ( 560 KM +) and was pretty fresh after the tip. Ravi frequently takes his TBTS for really long rides and has not complained of any discomfort in any of his posts.
That's exactly what I want to hear. Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
However 100 Km / day would mean over 2500 KM / month and I can't really comment how reliable it would be over long term.
Now, that's another thing to worry about?
Old 15th December 2014, 11:33   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Your requirements said and done on highway that too on a 2-wheeler doing 100+ kmph is risky and 'not' advisable. Riding faster means more attention and lot more stress which is risky for you and other road users.

Now, to suggest a bike that is capable of cruising happily without any fuss is RE Thunderbird 500. There is nothing else that comes into my mind.

IMO, the best speeds on highway on a bike would be between 80-90 kmph and occasional bursts to 100 kmph.

Anurag.
Just a clarification on 100kmph bursts which i mentioned in a previous post - Bangalore Elevated Expressway is 10km long (of course non stop). It is four lane but doesn't have service road or even a gap for pedestrians or ANYTHING. Just two lanes each on either side. Hence we have seen a lot of accidents especially for two wheelers on this road during overtaking by larger vehicles (esp high speed volvos). Reason being there is absolutely no gap after the road on the left. HENCE having driven a Pulsar 220 over the same route for almost a year, I know the only solution is to travel fast enough so that overtaking by other vehicles are reduced. Weird logic, but that helps. And since it is a non stop flyover and road quality good, this is safe apart from crosswinds. This 10kms makes 1/4th the distance my brother has to ride to office.

Thunderbird 500, how is the braking? I have always felt Bullets have good feel but lacks proper braking abilities. I have owned a Std 350 bull in 2009 and it skidded to the right during panic braking. I dont think anything has changed much in design either other than left becoming right. When you say high speed cruising, the bike should also have the ability to stop well. For eg: a R15 (the handling and braking king).

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 15th December 2014 at 11:40.
Old 15th December 2014, 11:51   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

Thunderbird 500, how is the braking? I have always felt Bullets have good feel but lacks proper braking abilities. I have owned a Std 350 bull in 2009 and it skidded to the right during panic braking. I dont think anything has changed much in design either other than left becoming right. When you say high speed cruising, the bike should also have the ability to stop well. For eg: a R15 (the handling and braking king).
I have driven both the old thunderbird and the new one. There is a sea of change in both terms of handling and braking. The feel, confidence, bite all have improved thanks to beefier front forks, dual discs setup with progressive braking.

Do take a TD and decide, a highly recommended bike for your requirements.

Anurag.
Old 15th December 2014, 12:07   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Bang on target. Ain't ABS in TBTS is conspicuous by its absence! Also, the rear brake should be a disc not drum.
Old 15th December 2014, 12:32   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Just a clarification on 100kmph bursts which i mentioned in a previous post - Bangalore Elevated Expressway is 10km long (of course non stop). It is four lane but doesn't have service road or even a gap for pedestrians or ANYTHING. Just two lanes each on either side. Hence we have seen a lot of accidents especially for two wheelers on this road during overtaking by larger vehicles (esp high speed volvos). Reason being there is absolutely no gap after the road on the left. HENCE having driven a Pulsar 220 over the same route for almost a year, I know the only solution is to travel fast enough so that overtaking by other vehicles are reduced. Weird logic, but that helps. And since it is a non stop flyover and road quality good, this is safe apart from crosswinds. This 10kms makes 1/4th the distance my brother has to ride to office.

I travel on this route everyday and my experience as a two wheeler rider is that you need to have enough power to keep up with traffic. Going slower than traffic is risky as because you might be hit by faster moving traffic who may not notice you. I feel scared for people on very slow moving scooters or mopeds and I always feel that that is situation is just an accident waiting to happen.

There is actually some research which proves that going at same speed as traffic or slightly faster is safer than going slower. I don't remember where I read it.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 12:51   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have driven both the old thunderbird and the new one. There is a sea of change in both terms of handling and braking. The feel, confidence, bite all have improved thanks to beefier front forks, dual discs setup with progressive braking.

Do take a TD and decide, a highly recommended bike for your requirements.

Anurag.
Sure I will take a TD. As of now, this seems to be the only logical choice that suits me. Thanks.
Old 15th December 2014, 13:23   #73
BHPian

I would suggest the RE Thunderbird 500. The new ones are a lot more reliable than older RE models and they are really comfortable over long distances.

However, a word of caution ... before you indulge in the RE it is better to see if your brother can use a friend's RE for a few days just to make sure he does not get any back pains as I faced a very long past of back pain issues with my RE Electra and finally sold and "severely" downgraded to a Splendor for the ride comfort

Pros of TBTS 500 : Best RE bike so far, much more reliable than past models, cruiser styling
Cons: It is an RE so need to be patient/passionate about it, fuel consumption, weight
Old 15th December 2014, 18:54   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
^^ Pretty definitive comments for a bike yet to be launched, no?

how will the suspension be better? And are you saying the 400 ss will have a higher displacement than the 390?

Do tell!!!
What I meant is Pulsar will have softer suspension set up as compared to Duke. This inference is drawn from comparing their 200 cc versions i.e. Pulsar NS has softer suspension than Duke 200. I referred it 'better' from OP's requirements perspective.
And No I am not saying it will have more power than 390.
Old 15th December 2014, 19:32   #75
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bang on target. Ain't ABS in TBTS is conspicuous by its absence! Also, the rear brake should be a disc not drum.
The TBTS 500 does have dual disks. Front and rear I.e.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks