Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 02:02   #1
BANNED

Rumour: Yamaha YZF-R3 coming to India?

Quote:
Yamaha unveiled the 41bhp YZF-R3 as a twin-cylinder bored out 320cc version of the YZF-R25 in October. Thereafter, the bike went on sale certain South East Asian markets. The chance of it coming to India soon has drastically gone up, but is the Indian automotive market ready?

The 300cc motorcycle segment is divided into the single and twin cylinders. There's the Honda and KTM RC390, which comprise the singles while the Ninja 300 and the Yamaha YZF-R3 form the twins.
To put it simply, Yamaha will have to locally produce the YZF-R3. But if they do not do that, you are looking at a price slightly north of the 4 lakh mark. The R3 does mean a lot of work for Yamaha but it does come with a lot of benefits for the company. For starters, it opens new doors for those wanting to upgrade from the R15 and the second being, targeting the enthusiasts by giving them a bike that is worth their wallet. The YZF-R3, if priced between 2.0-2.25 lakhs will see other bike makers running for cover.

SOURCE: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/id-710241

Anurag
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Yamaha YZF-R3 coming to India?-screenshot_201412090206301.png  

Rumour: Yamaha YZF-R3 coming to India?-screenshot_20141209020853.png  

Rumour: Yamaha YZF-R3 coming to India?-screenshot_20141209020910.png  

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th December 2014 at 02:27.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 05:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Rumour: Yamaha YZF-R3 coming to India?

India is the second largest market for Yamaha internationally, after Indonesia, in terms of numbers. But still I doubt if the R3 would be locally produced in India. This is not the desperate Yamaha of the last decade that came out with products like the R15 and FZ! They are doing decent numbers now and seems rather happy with the introduction of new colour schemes and special edition variants. Not to mention the entry level bike they are planning to introduce soon.

Even if it does, I doubt if it would see the other manufacturers like KTM 'run for cover' because the RC390 is priced on the higher side of the Yamaha for the European markets but still gives a solid fight. In India, the R3 should be priced significantly higher even if it is locally produced.

In my mind- 2.75L to 3L feels like the price barrier for the R3. Anything higher- it would go the Ninja 300 way!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 07:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Anything higher- it would go the Ninja 300 way!
...which is? I didn't get what you meant by Ninja 300 way. This bike (at least by specs) can very well be one to one with Ninja300, why would it be priced lower?
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 07:57   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
...which is? I didn't get what you meant by Ninja 300 way. This bike (at least by specs) can very well be one to one with Ninja300, why would it be priced lower?
I guess he meant was on sales terms which I don't think the Nnja 300 has done well.

However good the bike be, pricing plays a very important role in this niche segment currently in India so it will make or break the game for any bike sporting 300 and above engine capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Anything higher- it would go the Ninja 300 way!
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 08:00   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Sales.

It should be priced lower if they want to sell it in decent numbers. Personally, I would consider 3L as my mental price barrier for the R3. And yes- I do understand that the R3 is not an inferior product compared to the Ninja 300 in terms of specs, which is why it is all the more important for it to be built in India, and not imported as a CKD kit.

But as I expressed in my above post- I am not too hopeful of that happening. I wish I am proved wrong though.
Old 10th December 2014, 13:25   #6
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Yamaha YZF-R3 coming to India?

It would be interesting if Yamaha decides to manufacture them in India.

If i am not wrong Indian built R15 is already being exported to many countries. So why not manufacture R3 here too, alongside, where ever else they are being produced(Indonasia for R25 not sure about R3).

They have been tight lipped about R25 for a long time now and the story continues with the R3.

Will it be cheaper than Ninja 300 is another question. We have to take into account India's trade agreement with Thailand from where we are getting N300.
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 20:08   #7
BHPian

I hope it's not a rumor. Been a Yamaha fan since childhood and own an RX135 and 2 RD 350z myself. The overall feel of any Yamaha is truly Touching Your Heart. I hope it comes out soon and priced right. In India, PRICE plays a major role and I have noticed that ever-since I've been in Automobile Trade. It can make or brake any product or company like the Ninjas. I don't see many of them around and also don't think the price is justified for a single cylinder engine. For YZF R3, the price would be justified for a 2 cylinder engine. Also, if Yamaha produces them here in India, they will get the import duty benefit which will give them an edge over the rivals. Hope that happens soon and I see myself in the queue booking it.

Apologies. I mentioned ninja 300 to be a single cylinder engine. I actually meant KTM-390.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th December 2014 at 20:55. Reason: Back to Back posts. Please refrain. EDIT: Text format tags removed.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:26   #8
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Yamaha YZF-R3 coming to India?

No matter waht Yamaha has to bring it to Indian shores! Come on, how long will it take Yamaha to enter the 200-1000cc category, which they are master of? While it may severely affect the Ninja sale, i still think, RC 390 will remain untouched, if Yamaha go for a price bracket above 3 lakhs!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks