Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 10:59   #1
Team-BHP Support

Rumour: Hero to launch non-Honda powered models in 2015

Hero MotoCorp, India's largest manufacturer of two-wheelers, is gearing up to launch atleast four new products in 2015. What is significant about these new products is that none of them will be powered by Honda-developed engines. This will be the first occasion on which Hero will not use engines from its former collaborator in its products.

Here is a look at some of the new two-wheelers from Hero that we are likely to see:

Dash - The Dash is a scooter with a 110 cc engine developed in-house by Hero MotoCorp. It is rumoured to be the most powerful and at the same time the more fuel efficient scooter in its segment. The scooter was unveiled in January this year and was expected to be on sale in the second half of the year. However, the company seems to have delayed its launch to next year as it is still testing the product.

New 150 cc motorcycle - This motorcycle will be an all new product and Hero's rival for the Yamaha FZ V2, Suzuki Gixxer and others. It is rumoured to have class-leading output figures and fuel-efficiency.

Dare - The Dare is a 125 cc scooter, which was displayed at the Auto Expo in February this year. It will compete against the Activa 125 and others in the premium scooter segment

New 110 cc motorcycle - The final product from Hero will be a new commuter motorcycle with a 110 cc engine, which is likely to be borrowed from the Dash scooter. The bike could be called Splendor. Hero is not likely to discontinue any products from its current Splendor line-up. So the new bike will be sold alongside the old range.

The launch of the 250 cc HX250R sports bike is also speculated to be in the second half of 2015, while 150 cc scooters will not come before 2016. There is no news on the production version of the Hastur concept motorcycle that was displayed at the 2014 Auto Expo.

Source: Motorbeam

Last edited by Aditya : 19th December 2014 at 13:26.
Aditya is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 14:24   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Hero to launch non-Honda powered models in 2015

This one will be interesting to watch. Though my understanding of the 2-wheeler market is limited, I believe the durability of Hero motorcycles is a key ingredient to its success. That's also one of the reasons behind Bajaj's limited marketshare, especially in rural areas which bring the volume sales.

Brand new engines developed by someone with lack of experience don't usually turn out reliable and have their fair share of teething troubles.

I'm willing to bet that the new motors will be based off Honda's engines, just how Mahindra spawned off so many engines off the Peugeot XDP.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 15:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. I was keeping my fingers crossed while reading the list to spot the Impulse with an updated engine! Has Hero become the cat which has fallen in hot water, that they are absolutely scared to wander to the Impulse territory again?
Old 19th December 2014, 15:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

REASON for Hero's Success in India so far:

1. Hero to its credit made sure "Honda" levels of quality was maintained while manufacturing

2. Hero's vast dealership/service network in India

3. Hero's persistence with (most of the) products and not phasing them

RESULT

1. A formidable brand built around QUALITY, TRUST and VALUE FOR MONEY over Years of Building/Selling and Servicing reliable products.

2. One can buy a Hero product with his EYES CLOSED is the sentiment among common people.

3. Reliable, Quality, Consistent Mileage, Vast Service Network and Good Resale Value is what defines the Hero(Honda) brand (at least So far).

AFTER REMOVING HONDA BRANDING (in 2011)

1. Hero has been successful in the first phase of the transition, i.e. the buyer has still not been affected by the "Hero" logo

2. But the heart of the products i.e the ENGINES/Products are still HONDA engineered

CHALLENGE

1. Whether Hero can make the giant leap and match the Honda engines when it eventually starts to manufacture its OWN (AVL/EBR) designed engines.

2. Initially the common people won't be bothered / mindful of the engine swap.. due to the formidable BRAND built over the years..

.. but in the long run?? It'll be interesting to watch.

Last edited by payeng : 19th December 2014 at 16:18.
payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 18:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Hmm. I was keeping my fingers crossed while reading the list to spot the Impulse with an updated engine! Has Hero become the cat which has fallen in hot water, that they are absolutely scared to wander to the Impulse territory again?
We have 4 Impulse from 2011 in our showroom. Haven't been sold yet, even at discounts of 8000 Rs.

So as a dealer, Hero staying away from Impulse segment is good.
kumarshah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 18:13   #6
BHPian

One question always tickles my mind. What is it in Honda/Suzuki machines that makes them smooth and refined vis a vis Bajaj / TVS?
I mean why can't bajaj make an engine as refined as that of Honda's? The have strong R&D to patent technologies like twin spark but they look good on paper only. Why can't they study Honda's engine in and out and make their engine equally refined?
Old 19th December 2014, 18:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
What is it in Honda/Suzuki machines that makes them smooth and refined vis a vis Bajaj / TVS?
Simple answer: Truck loads of experience building motorcycles over the past many many years for markets across the globe. This combined with strong financial backup which can afford to fund a huge R&D team for just improving the refinement of the engine. A local(?) manufacturer like Bajaj/TVS started off catering only to the Indian market where the tolerance level for slight vibration and other bothers is quite high! Whereas in an international market these factor might mean the end of the product unless it has some other really great quality to project over these small bothers.

Quote:
I mean why can't bajaj make an engine as refined as that of Honda's? The have strong R&D to patent technologies like twin spark but they look good on paper only. Why can't they study Honda's engine in and out and make their engine equally refined?
The potential of the Indian manufacturers are limitless, IMHO. But it all depends on their priorities and how far they are willing to push themselves. The trick for a smooth single cylinder engine is the near perfect counter balancing. Which is more like a black magic and real tough to attain. So Bajaj/TVS has 2 options,

Continue to fund the project till near perfect refinement is attained for a newly developed engine - which will shoot the cost of their products up. Or

Attain smoothness and refinement at an acceptable level and keep a check on the R&D cost so as to keep the cost of the final product down. Its not really tough to guess which path they chose!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 19th December 2014 at 18:32.
man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 22:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
AFTER REMOVING HONDA BRANDING (in 2011)
1. Hero has been successful in the first phase of the transition, i.e. the buyer has still not been affected by the "Hero" logo.
The only downside in the transition was showcasing one too many models and concepts/technologies all in one gulp.
I thought all the Future is definitely not now, only ideas are .
Graven5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 10:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One question always tickles my mind. What is it in Honda/Suzuki machines that makes them smooth and refined vis a vis Bajaj / TVS?
Is smoothness/refinement the only Mantra for success??

Say even if Bajaj/TVS (or anyone else) match the "SMOOTHNESS" of Honda/Suzuki.. will that automatically guarantee Sales/Market success..??

Trying to play catch up with a leader only takes up valuable energy and resources. One needs to find a different proposition to be able to stand out in the market. Am not saying that smoothness in not required, but that alone would not be a compelling reason for the consumer to pick your product.

Case in point:

1. Was the engine of the Hero Impulse NOT smooth enough..??
2. Bajaj has been comfortably outselling the "smoother" Honda Unicorn/Hero Hunk and Xtreme, Suzuki GS150R/Gixxer, Yamaha FZ-16,S with its PULSAR for over a Decade now.

Last edited by payeng : 20th December 2014 at 10:53.
Old 21st December 2014, 11:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Is smoothness/refinement the only Mantra for success??

Say even if Bajaj/TVS (or anyone else) match the "SMOOTHNESS" of Honda/Suzuki.. will that automatically guarantee Sales/Market success..??

Trying to play catch up with a leader only takes up valuable energy and resources. One needs to find a different proposition to be able to stand out in the market. Am not saying that smoothness in not required, but that alone would not be a compelling reason for the consumer to pick your product.

Case in point:

2. Bajaj has been comfortably outselling the "smoother" Honda Unicorn/Hero Hunk and Xtreme, Suzuki GS150R/Gixxer, Yamaha FZ-16,S with its PULSAR for over a Decade now.
I am sorry my friend but where did I talk about market success? I was referring to only engine refinement.
And the cases you have given are true but the reasoning may bot be correct. Bajaj is in Indian market since long as compared to Honda and Suzuki. Just ponder upon Honda's success in such a short span since it parted its ways with Hero. And Honda is growing at the expense of Bajaj first and Hero later.
For any automobile engine and transmission are heart of the matter. If you get engine right in terms of smoothness, NVH, power, fuel efficiency; rest things fall in place unless there is some other major issues like service network, pricing etc
Engine smoothness plays a vital role in terms of durability of the product and other engine parts. That is the reason why Bajaj carries image of "non durable", "gruff engine" in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Simple answer: Truck loads of experience building motorcycles over the past many many years for markets across the globe. This combined with strong financial backup which can afford to fund a huge R&D team for just improving the refinement of the engine. A local(?) manufacturer like Bajaj/TVS started off catering only to the Indian market where the tolerance level for slight vibration and other bothers is quite high! Whereas in an international market these factor might mean the end of the product unless it has some other really great quality to project over these small bothers.

The potential of the Indian manufacturers are limitless, IMHO. But it all depends on their priorities and how far they are willing to push themselves. The trick for a smooth single cylinder engine is the near perfect counter balancing. Which is more like a black magic and real tough to attain. So Bajaj/TVS has 2 options,

Continue to fund the project till near perfect refinement is attained for a newly developed engine - which will shoot the cost of their products up. Or

Attain smoothness and refinement at an acceptable level and keep a check on the R&D cost so as to keep the cost of the final product down. Its not really tough to guess which path they chose!
Yes I do agree. But Bajaj had JV with Kawasaki and TVS with Suzuki. Both are global renowned players. Why didn't they learn this "art" of balancing?

Last edited by StepUP! : 21st December 2014 at 11:15.
Old 21st December 2014, 21:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry my friend but where did I talk about market success? I was referring to only engine refinement.
When did I say otherwise?

I just felt like posting my thoughts.. Peace

Quote:
Just ponder upon Honda's success in such a short span since it parted its ways with Hero. And Honda is growing at the expense of Bajaj first and Hero later.
Honda (2 wheelers) foundation and now the solid base of success in India is a model called the "Activa"
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 14:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Honda (2 wheelers) foundation and now the solid base of success in India is a model called the "Activa"
At this point it's a question of whether Hero can hit Honda first in breaking through the Scooter market or Honda can hit Hero first in breaking through the Entry-Commuter segment market.

The company with the first breakthrough in those areas will be in position to take the crown over the next five odd years.
Old 22nd December 2014, 15:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nitpicking here but that was a Honda engine.
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarshah View Post
At this point it's a question of whether Hero can hit Honda first in breaking through the Scooter market or Honda can hit Hero first in breaking through the Entry-Commuter segment market.

Depends which way (areas) the industry would grow over the next years...

If its in Urban areas then it would most likely be biased towards scooters. If growth is more rapid in Rural areas.. then motorcycles would most likely continue to dominate.

Hero (or for that matter anyone) being able to match Honda's (more specifically) the Activa appears almost impossible. Once you are a leader for around 10 years, its a very tall task for anyone else to take that position.

@Naveeroy,

Correct the Impulse has a Honda engine.. and yet it does not make an impact.. which only goes to prove that "Smoothness" is not the holy grail when it comes to selling (and buying) motorcycles.
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:45   #15
BHPian

I love whoever came up with the headline of 'Non-Honda Hero's coming soon'. It bought up a huge smile and a grin on my face; at work!!

Here is how I see it. Hero has one top selling bike; the splendor. Take a fairing, add a digital fuel gauge, deduct a self start, add a disc brake and you get all variations of this motorcycle; Splendor +, Splendor Pro, Passion, Passion Xpro, CD Deluxe, Dawn and I don't remember which else.

I have ridden these bikes extensively in college. Cycle parts worn out, clutch not biting, chain thudding and making a racket- and still the motorcycle just goes on and on! Sure its not a good way to treat motorcycles but in the rural areas where bikes are not always maintained perfectly, that fact that it can still go without breaking down and earn a living for its owners day in and day out even after taking so much abuse has created a legacy. This is why people buy it with their eyes shut.

Sure they don't provide an engine kill switch, the switchgear still sucks- and for this reason alone, I wont buy a Hero (atleast not the ones under the Karizma) but for its target audience, they value reliability over everything else and there the motorcycle delivers!
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed