Team-BHP - My Vespa VX – The “Giallo” Vespa ownership report
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   My Vespa VX – The “Giallo” Vespa ownership report (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/159002-my-vespa-vx-giallo-vespa-ownership-report.html)

Note: Giallo – Yellow in Italian

The Prelude:

My wife’s ride companion Scooty Pep+ (2007 make) was aging gracefully. Though no major issues observed but the suspension were beginning to indicate the age. Even a small pot hole transmitted the shock to the shoulders. So in end of June we decided to look out for a replacement.

The Old Workhorse – Worth still for many more miles

My Vespa VX – The “Giallo” Vespa ownership report-img_1.jpg

My Vespa VX – The “Giallo” Vespa ownership report-img_2.jpg

The Landscape:

In 2007, limited options were available and our main consideration were light weight, size, height and easy maneuverability in Chennai city traffic. So Scooty Pep+ fitted our requirement perfectly. Presently we had better options to choose from the market and our wish list was
Following were considered:

TVS

Not considered as we wanted a change from TVS.

Yamaha

Ray – Good attractive design. But baggage space was limited in front due to curved design and was rejected by my wife
Alpha – Short listed for test drive

Hero

Pleasure – My wife has driven her sister’s scooter and was dead against it
Maestro – Wife rejected it outright

Honda

Activa – largest selling scooter and my wife was impressed with it, especially the metal body. But when she heard from her friends that Activa suspension was not good and might result in back pain, she ruled it out

Activa i – The look was good and was light weight. But observed in number of running vehicles the fiber covers were either scratched or cracked. We had our doubt on longevity on the body construction and decided to go for metal body only

Aviator – Wife liked the neutral look and it also had telescopic suspension. Short listed for test drive.

The Change

As we were planning for visiting Dealers, we came across Activa 125 advertisement on paper and electronic media. As we are planning to keep the new scooter for 5+ years, we then decided that upgrade to 125 cc would be a better decision. Also Activa 125 had a telescopic suspension which will take care of our suspension concern.

With this change of decision, we had different set of models on the table to consider:
Comparison Chart

My Vespa VX – The “Giallo” Vespa ownership report-img_3.jpg

My wife did not like the look of Swish and hence it was dropped. The price of Vespa was fairly on the higher side, hence we decided to check out Activa 125 first.

The Search:

In the first week of July we started our search:

JSP Honda, Anna Nagar

The experience in JSP Honda was not great. When we expressed our interest in Activa 125, the SA tried to dissuade us stating that presently booking has been stopped. Also they did not have any test drive vehicle. He took our contact numbers and informed that he will call us once the test vehicle is available, which is expected in 10 days’ time. We never got any call from them

SVM Honda, Kilpauk

The experience was pleasant surprise for us in this dealership. Since SA person was not available, a person from account department attended us. He had good knowledge on the features and gave good comparison of Activa and Activa 125. There was display vehicle available but no test drive vehicle. He said the test drive vehicle will be available in 2weeks, but was ready to take booking. He quoted 2 months delivery period for ordinary version and 4 months for DLX version with Disc brake. The OTR approximately worked out to 64,000/- and 69,000/- respectively. We were firm on doing a test drive before booking hence decided to wait for test drive.

Though 2 weeks passed, no test vehicle was available in Chennai in all Honda showrooms. So we decided to visit Vespa showroom to have look at the vehicle

Orange Motors, Anna Nagar

Nothing worth mentioning experience in this showroom. The SA girl who attended us was knowledgeable to explain the construction, variants, color, option etc. We were impressed by the build and quality of the vehicle. My wife took LX version for test drive and drove it for 3-4 km along with me. The ride was good, vehicle was planted, handling was smooth and maneuverability was excellent. Earlier my wife was apprehensive of the weight but in actual she did not feel any issue in handling the scooter. The scooter looked compact compared to its rivals, may be because of its monocoque body construction. We left the showroom after collecting price details. No discount was offered as Vespa had strict no-discount policy. Surprising was that the SA did not even bother to take my contact number

Pillai Motors, Greams Road

Two days later me and my wife were passing through Greams Road at 7:30 pm, and came across Pillai motor. It was bustling with activities, with number of vehicles outside and inside the showroom - direct contrast to Orange Motors. Since regular SA was busy with other visitors, Ramesh – Sales Manager attended us and explained the features. He was forthright in his view and gave both pros and cons of the vehicle. We were offered test drive and selected VX version. My wife drove it for about 3 km. Then I drove the vehicle for 4-5 km and tested the stability, braking ability, pot hole handling at speed (there were many pot holes of various grades in the road aiding me in the test). The vehicle responded smoothly for the rough run and braking was good with Disc in operation. We left satisfied with the service and promised to come back shortly.

The Decision

I and my wife were veering around to the view of finalizing Vespa as our next scooter. We had limited option to decide. For Activa 125, we did not even have a test vehicle to check. Also 4-5 months waiting period was long. We have to trust Honda name and book this vehicle. Though Activa is segment leader, we can only hope that performance will be good for Activa 125 and also improved suspension.

On the other hand we had Vespa with immediate delivery, iconic look and head turner, decent performance, comfortable riding etc. The cost was about 10000 – 12000 higher than Honda Activa DLX with disc brake. We were firm on Disc brake and Tubeless tyres, hence we decided on Vespa VX version. We firmly believed that Vespa’s built to last construction, high quality parts, sleek design and decent performance was justified for higher cost.

We again visited Orange Motors to check on OTR and discounts. A new SA was there, but they firmly told that no discount or free accessory to be provided. Again the SA did not take my contact number and we left for good the showroom. In between Santosh – SA at Pillai Motors had called me couple of time and following up with me on the vehicle purchase.

On model front we decided on VX, the square shaped light in S model was not preferred by my wife. Having decided on the model, the next difficult decision was the color to choose. With Vespa, we were spoilt with good looking colors and was difficult to arrive at a consensus. Finally after lot of deliberations we decided on Yellow – logic behind the decision was that good looking scooters in red and black color are available in different models but light yellow is available only in Vespa and was also gorgeous to look at. Other manufacturers had a slightly darker yellow shade only.

On 10-Aug, we booked VX model Vespa with Pillai Motors by paying Rs.5000/- as advance. As we have decided to register the vehicle only on 11-Sep, it was agreed to pay 60% amount by month end and remaining amount 2 days prior to registration. No discount was provided but Ramesh agreed to give one free accessory.

Comparing both the dealership, my comments are:
  1. Pillai Motor Sales experience was far better than Orange Motors. Eagerness to sell was evident in Pillai Motors SA (Santosh) approach.
  2. The approach and attitude to customer was excellent in Pillai Motors. My personal feeling was even when Ramesh refused discount it was more in apologetic tone, rather experience with Orange Motors was like take it or leave it.
  3. Follow up with customer was good with Pillai Motors. Santosh followed up regularly on the booking and delivery.
The total cost break is given below:
  1. Ex-Showroom Price : Rs.72492.00
  2. Life Time Tax + Registration : Rs. 7845.00
  3. Comprehensive Insurance : Rs. 1899.00
  4. OTR Price : Rs.82236.00
The accessories list that was finalized:
  1. Vespa Floor Mat : Rs. 524.00
  2. Number Plate : Rs. 160.00
  3. Front Bumper : Rs. 368.00
  4. Rear Bumper : Rs.2550.00
  5. Seat Cover (Joy–3 year warranty) : Rs. 550.00
  6. Buzzer : Rs. 80.00
  7. Saddle Handle Cushion : Rs. 500.00
Extended warranty (Rs.550/-) for two years was provided by the dealer. The total cost worked out to be Rs.86968/-

On 11-Sep, the vehicle was registered. Santosh asked us to take delivery at 6:30 pm, so that scooter can be delivered with number plate. The scooter was ready when we went to take delivery. Ramesh handed over the key to us and Santosh gave us the other documents. He said the extended warranty certificate will be ready by tomorrow morning. On the whole the Pillai Motors sales did a very good work. Santosh was exemplary in his follow up and made sure all processes were completed within time. Great work by the sales team. Hope service experience will also be at this level.

A service person explained us on the available functionality and service intervals. The odometer reading was 28 Km. The scooter was fitted with MRF tubeless tyres. The build quality was good and all the parts seemed to be crafted individually and fitted together. We returned home completely satisfied with our acquisition.

Initial Observations:

Pros:
Cons:

Few pictures of the Beauty

My Vespa VX – The “Giallo” Vespa ownership report-img_4.jpg

My Vespa VX – The “Giallo” Vespa ownership report-img_5.jpg

My Vespa VX – The “Giallo” Vespa ownership report-img_6.jpg

My Vespa VX – The “Giallo” Vespa ownership report-img_7.jpg

My Vespa VX – The “Giallo” Vespa ownership report-img_8.jpg

My Vespa VX – The “Giallo” Vespa ownership report-img_9.jpg

The one month riding of Vespa was smooth and pleasant. It is comfortable to drive in the city and offers a pliant and stable ride. Most of the drive is done by my wife in heavy traffic and maneuverability is great. Our observations and experience in this month period:

Style and Build:

The retro styling is eye catchy – I think everyone will agree on this aspect. Whether we own Vespa or not, we cannot ignore its presence on the road. The lines and the chrome finish mirrors are just awesome. The panel, body and accessories exudes quality. The paint quality is top notch. The Sales Manager at Pillai Motors was mentioning about 3 or 4 coat of painting being done on Vespa which shows on the scooter. The control switch plastic is sturdy but feel a notch lower in quality considering other parts. My personal feeling is it should be more premium

The storage space in front has not much value and is very limited. Also we observed some water seepage during heavy rain. The copy of insurance and RC paper kept inside the storage space was completely wet and spoiled. Space under the seat is good for decent storage. But things placed inside gets heated up. The hump at the front in the middle causes minor concern in keeping baggage. But it is manageable.

The seats offer comfortable ride but may be the length is bit shorter than Pep+ which causes some discomfort for two people. Though the scooter was heavier at about 114 kg, my wife was comfortable in handling it and able to put the center stand with ease. With Pep+ she used to struggle a bit. May be the monocoque body and balanced weight with engine at center is aiding this process.

Engine and Transmission:

The segment topping power and torque makes the engine a breeze to drive in the traffic. It is quick off the line and has a smooth power delivery pattern throughout. The power is more than adequate for city driving. We have not done much high way or long driving except for one trip of 50 km at a stretch. During the drive the speed was kept within 60km/hr. The drive was smooth and no tiredness experienced. The stability has been great. As advised in early morning we use choke and kick start the scooter. Thereafter we self-start it using the button. There is no cold start issue observed in the scooter and it starts with one kick.

One observation made is while we start from stand still, there is slight delay in response, even if the throttle is given, and then the scooter picks up speed. May be this might be due to CVT rubber band effect. This is more pronounced when we drive with two people onboard. Once the engine pulls up, it is smooth to drive and responds to the throttle linearly. The pickup is good and even with minimum throttle the vehicle surges forward.

Suspension and Ride:

The Vespa is agile and handling is good in the city or highway. Even at 60km/hr we never felt any vibration in the handle bar or seats. The scooter runs smoothly and takes up the pot hole with aplomb. The riding stance is comfortable and one feels at ease with the scooter. The suspensions are great and we do not feel any shock transmitted to our hand or body. This was in direct contrast to our old Pep+. But we need to watch how Vespa will age as years roll by.

Brakes and Others:

Brakes seems to be adequate. With Disc brakes the stoppage is effective. But it does not inspires complete confidence. My wife is comfortable with the braking. Since I am used to my GSR 150 bike, I feel a little bit of bite is needed to be there. The MRF tyres offer good grip even on wet road.

The focus of headlight is excellent and lights the path making drive easy and safe. It is far better than many scooters I have driven. The instrument cluster is simple and functional with Speedometer, analogue fuel gauge low/high indicator, turn indicator and low fuel/battery indicator (yet to see the functioning). It also has a digital clock.

Accessory Addition:

We also added blue color body cover for Vespa. When we checked for body cover with Vespa Dealer, we were quoted Rs. 1147/- for the cover. We checked outside and bought it from a shop near Nehru indoor stadium for Rs.500/-. The cover used at night helps to keep the dust level low.

First Service – 08-Oct-14 @ 296 km

The scooter was given for service at the end of first month. It was given at 11:30 am and was ready for delivery by 3:00 pm. Labour was free for the first service.

The total cost was Rs.278.00, break up given below:
Issue Noticed:

On the day for service my wife tried to kick start the scooter in the morning, but was not able to start the vehicle. After trying for few minutes, she started the vehicle with self-start button. After idling for few minutes she again tried to kick start the scooter but it did not start. This was reported to service personnel and it was corrected during the service. Not sure on the reason for the issue.

Service Observation:

Overall the service experience was satisfactory. The cleaning was not up to the mark. There was wetness observed inside the glove box and some dirt at the back. This was pointed out by my wife and rectified. Hope it will be better in next service

Our pleasant experience with Vespa is continuing. We had no issues experienced after first service. On a high way drive I was able to push the scooter near to triple digit mark. The scooter was composed and stable. Cornering was good and felt comfortable at that speed. The brake inspires confidence and overall performance has been great.

Second Service – 09-Dec-14 @ 926 km

The second paid service was done at end of 3rd month. There was a call from Pillai Motors one week before itself, reminding us the service date. They followed up with regular calls till we confirmed the service date. The vehicle was left in the morning at 10:00 am and was picked back at 3:00 pm.

The total cost was Rs. 412.00, break up given below:
The service and cleaning was good. Good service experience with Pillai Motors is continuing.

After second service the drive has become more pleasant and pick up is great. As mentioned in earlier post Vespa excels in suspension and stability. Bad roads are negotiated comfortably and no shock is transferred to the driver. I have done about 100 km at a stretch which also included a highway drive for about 20 min one way. I was able to drive the beauty to near triple digit mark and maintained it for some time. It inspired confidence and felt I had the control always. I felt no tiredness in driving the scooter and was confident that I can continue driving it for long duration. In the above trip I got a mileage of 36 km/liter only which was expected as I was reviving the scooter all along.

The Vespa is going strong with 1235 km on odometer. The mileage observed is about 40 km/liter only. This mileage was in city traffic condition and moderate speed.

During our buying decision making we were reading through forums for reviews and observed certain quality issues raised on Vespa. Given below are few issues we noted and our observation in this ownership for 3 months:
  1. Mileage – Most reviews reported mileage of 35-40 km/liter. Only few have quoted above 45 or so. Our experience indicates this is true. When you drive moderately you might get 40 km/liter. Otherwise it varies between 35-40 km/liter
  2. Brakes are inadequate – With Disc brake version it has improved a lot. But my personal feeling is it lacks some bite. But otherwise it manageable.
  3. Cold start issue – We never faced this issue. Morning we use choke and start the scooter. It always starts with one kick (except for one occasion before first service)
  4. Vibration – we have not faced any vibration till now. Even at higher speed the scooter was smooth
  5. Water entry in front storage – Yes this happens.
We are happy with our purchase and continue to enjoy comfortable ride with Vespa.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on buying this beauty! VX looks hot in yellow. :)

Did you get the grill surrounding the body(with the side foot rest) from the dealer or somewhere else? I'm asking because it looks very different from what i've seen on other vespas.

i can also notice the side foot rest to be placed a bit towards the front. Isn't that an inconvenience? My mom always complains about that :Frustrati

Hello! Congrats on buying that beauty mate.
I'm afraid that the slight delay in response might wear out the clutch faster as compared to the other scooters, which do not have such a problem of response delay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshBabu (Post 3610932)
We are happy with our purchase and continue to enjoy comfortable ride with Vespa.

Agree with all your conclusions!

Did you notice one thing- The Vespa (and the keys in particular), feel so damn tight!

Nearly one and a half years on, I'm still unable to take the keys out in one, fluid motion. Always requires a second try, and a 'lil nudging.

In the VX, the disc was a bit of a disappointment. The bite was there, yes. But, not really by that much. Yet, recommendable over the LX. The price differential was too much, yes.

The Vespa is just.......clap:.

Congratulations on owning the Italian beauty on 2 wheels. Hope you bought a matching helmet for a safe ride..
One question..Was the back rest (with black cushion) an official accessory from Vespa or fitted by the dealer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushik51094 (Post 3614717)
Did you get the grill surrounding the body(with the side foot rest) from the dealer or somewhere else? I'm asking because it looks very different from what i've seen on other vespas.

i can also notice the side foot rest to be placed a bit towards the front. Isn't that an inconvenience? My mom always complains about that :Frustrati

Thanks kaushik.I brought the grill from the Dealer only. He had two types, one without covering the tail lamp (cost about Rs.2000 or near it) and the one which I have purchased.

True, my mom also has the same complaint.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kappa (Post 3615144)
Hello! Congrats on buying that beauty mate.
I'm afraid that the slight delay in response might wear out the clutch faster as compared to the other scooters, which do not have such a problem of response delay.

Thanks Kappa. Need to watch it. After second service it has improved slightly, but still it is there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINTAIL (Post 3615709)
Agree with all your conclusions!

Did you notice one thing- The Vespa (and the keys in particular), feel so damn tight!

Nearly one and a half years on, I'm still unable to take the keys out in one, fluid motion. Always requires a second try, and a 'lil nudging.

Thanks FINTAIL. Yes I missed mentioning it in my review. I thought it was one of problem. We need to slightly nudge and pull it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillram (Post 3615751)
One question..Was the back rest (with black cushion) an official accessory from Vespa or fitted by the dealer?

Sure Hillram a new helmet was bought for my wife - not from Vespa and my wallet became lighter :)

The back rest was offficial accessory brought from Dealer.

Congratulations on your ride AshBabu. Vespa gets a lot of flak in India for its pricing, but there is a genuine difference between their scooters and the rest. It can only be understood by riding one.

What I loved the most was the low speed stability. I believe the scooter has a link spring mechanism between engine and frame that greatly contributes to this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshBabu (Post 3610901)
Pillai Motor Sales experience was far better than Orange Motors.

Yeah, this is common with many Vespa dealers. They have the same attitude as many Royal Enfield dealers, because in both cases, the person looking to buy one is often making a heart over mind decision.

Quote:

Hero

Pleasure – My wife has driven her sister’s scooter and was dead against it
Maestro – Wife rejected it outright
Any particular problem that made you reject them?

Quote:

Brakes seems to be adequate. With Disc brakes the stoppage is effective. But it does not inspires complete confidence.
I found the brakes decent enough while riding solo at speeds between 40-60 km/h, but with a pillion they didn't inspire confidence. Definitely a point Vespa should improve upon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tushar (Post 3616003)
Any particular problem that made you reject them?

My Sister-in-law is owning a Pleasure scooter. When ever we visited their town, my wife used this scooter for all shopping and local visits. The engine was noisy and lot of vibrations were there in this scooter. Also it had bad suspension. The vehicle was maintained well (serviced regularly) and sparsely used. Still this issue was there from the beginning. My wife always felt her Pep+ has better drive and this thought stuck in her mind.

On Maestro - she did not like the look at all

That clutch delay - it reduces when you decrease the idle RPM. I don't know to explain its working technically but, practically it works for me. It gets loose and goes back to its original RPM after a month. If you can take 5 minutes to tune the idle RPM once every month, it should be fine.

Hello! How is the scooter doing now? Do you still have it? I'm planning on booking the base version of the Vespa. Just wanted to know more about your ownership experience and how it has fared in all these years.