Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 09:37   #61
BHPian

Re: Confused. Which bike?

Also consider the number and quality of dealerships/showrooms. Currently Kawasaki 650/300/250 are being sold by bajaj/ktm dealerships. Not sure if they're going to continue that way.

In Mumbai, Kawasaki has just one showroom on the brink of shutting down; even Benelli has just one showroom/dealership. Having a choice of showrooms/service centers is a boon and a big convenience unless you are adept at servicing the bike yourself.
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 09:40   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Between the Ninja 300 and the R3, I would suggest the Ninja. The R3 has a great motor and good refinement levels along with solid braking performance. BUT the forward set footpegs, 50-50 weight distribution and the very basic diamond frame chassis, means that it is simply not deserving of the R moniker. The shape of the MRFs as well rob it of any sporty intentions it might have had. Was a serious disappointment for me after the R15. If you want an R3, I'd suggest just going for a used Kawi 650 since the R3 simply isn't sporty enough in my personal opinion.
If he cared about cornering, he would've taken the KTM. And how exactly is Ninja 650 "sportier" than R3?

For touring, I'd suggest get the Thunderbird 500. Except for the lack of windscreen, it ticks all the right boxes. R3 is a good balance between sport and comfort. A stonking engine just adds a cherry to the cake.

Good luck!

Last edited by Aditya : 30th August 2016 at 16:07. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Old 30th August 2016, 09:53   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
If he cared about cornering, he would've taken the KTM. And how exactly is Ninja 650 "sportier" than R3?
The KTM is a bit too hardcore for everyone's taste.

Umm never said the 650 was sportier. I said the R3 simply isn't sporty enough to distinguish itself and that one could rather enjoy the extra grunt of the Kawi 650 instead. My posts are pretty concise and clear there is no need for you to jump to conclusions such as you have.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th August 2016 at 09:59.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 14:13   #64
BHPian

Re: KTM RC 390 vs Kawasaki Ninja 300

Corner craving monster like the duke is not something I am looking for. Something relaxed for touring and some city jaunts is my requirement, hence KTM's have been ruled out. Any bullet is a no-no as I want something niggle free (not saying all bullets are problematic, no disrespect to other bullet owners). Also street 750 was eliminated because of the poor quality. Additionally i am not looking for any poser value in my bike. It all is boiling down to Vitamin M & me considering myself a newbie, as I have not ridden for years. Should I stick with a smaller Ninja 300 or pay the same amount for a pre-worshiped Ninja 650? Ridden both bikes (my friend's) back to back extensively and it is confusing the hell out of me. I am connecting with both, and surely the extra HP on the 650 makes me yearn for it, but 300 seems more practical.
Old 31st August 2016, 14:27   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp666 View Post
Should I stick with a smaller Ninja 300 or pay the same amount for a pre-worshiped Ninja 650? Ridden both bikes (my friend's) back to back extensively and it is confusing the hell out of me. I am connecting with both, and surely the extra HP on the 650 makes me yearn for it, but 300 seems more practical.
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, it is all about whether you like something sporty or not. If you don't see yourself, chucking the Ninja 300 around bends, pulling off long sweeping corners with immense lean angles and grace, banging down the gears in the fast lane of an empty road at night as you poise yourself to lean into the next left turn turn, if these things don't seem attractive to you, then simply buy a used 650 and enjoy the sheer power instead. Between these two bikes it is like power vs dynamic capability. You need to make a decision on what kind of rider you are and what you will appreciate more.

As far as practicality is concerned, both will accrue similar costs in terms of maintain since both use imported parts. Both bikes are Kawasakis as well so the quality and reliability is pretty much bulletproof. So it is not a question of practicality at all. Infact the ergos of the 650 makes it more practical in a sense. Simply choose what type of bike appeals more to you.
Old 31st August 2016, 15:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp666 View Post
Corner craving monster like the duke is not something I am looking for. Something relaxed for touring and some city jaunts is my requirement, hence KTM's have been ruled out. Any bullet is a no-no as I want something niggle free (not saying all bullets are problematic, no disrespect to other bullet owners). Also street 750 was eliminated because of the poor quality. Additionally i am not looking for any poser value in my bike. It all is boiling down to Vitamin M & me considering myself a newbie, as I have not ridden for years. Should I stick with a smaller Ninja 300 or pay the same amount for a pre-worshiped Ninja 650? Ridden both bikes (my friend's) back to back extensively and it is confusing the hell out of me. I am connecting with both, and surely the extra HP on the 650 makes me yearn for it, but 300 seems more practical.
I would suggest go for a N300 or a R3 if -

1. You use it in city as a everyday bike. These are better for commuting than a N650.

2. Upkeep costs matter. R3 is significantly cheaper to maintain than a N650. Spares availability and relative resale values could be better too.

3. Fuel efficiency matters. Fun vs fuel efficiency factor of a N300 is better than a N650. These 300s are no slouchs, these can easily do 0-100 in 5.5s and top 190, which is more than sufficient for Indian Cities and Highways. Touring ability and comfort of the 300s are great too.

4. Ride quality and handling, ground clearance of both the 300s match/optimized for what our Indian conditions offer.

Since you have not ridden in a long time, I would suggest go for the smaller bike. You will "utilize" it more is my opinion.
I remember reading this which might make sense in this case wrt 300 and 650 - Its always fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
Old 31st August 2016, 15:25   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
I remember reading this which might make sense in this case wrt 300 and 650 - Its always fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
+1 That is totally true even when it comes to cars. Driving/riding a machine on the limit, dancing around the threshold of its capabilities is truly something else. Exhilarating in a very acute and satisfy way
Old 31st August 2016, 15:26   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been in same fix as yours, and kept moving my decision forward. I had almost made the down payment for RC but for some reason decided to wait it out.
Now I have my eyes set on Akula, I am an owner of Apache from 7 years, and it is a dream to drive with zero niggles. Akula until unless they screw up big time, is what I have zeroed on. The BMW engine should be great, and maybe it is just me, but the bike looks stunning, atleast in the concept. TVS has already said that it will keep 70-80% of concept look.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks