The Bangalore Traffic police posted this awful video on their FB page

Horrific accident.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st January 2015 at 08:32. Reason: url fix
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 20:40   #2
BANNED

re: Video: Bikers, be cautious when riding alongside trucks & buses

Horrific I must say!

But the poor biker did miss balance and trip on the wrong side. The truck though was following the rules (lane etc).

What I feel is two-wheeler riders get too close sometimes to overtake a truck/bus and with the recent addition of the under-run bars things are slightly safer.

Whatever be the vehicle, the golden rule remains - "Keep Safe Distance"
Old 20th January 2015, 22:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

That was horrible. Cannot believe he tried to use that gap to overtake a truck. The more and more of these i watch i want to stop doing any of these things in the future.

This thread can be merged with accidents for its another accident and the discussion can continue there.
Old 20th January 2015, 23:05   #4
BHPian

Horror! Assuming that truck was left hand drive, the biker was totally naive to overtake it from the wrong side and he paid the price dearly.
Also did anyone notice a blue sign specifically for bikers on the pavement in right? Couldn't decipher that. Any guesses?
Old 20th January 2015, 23:31   #5
BHPian

Two wheeler riders in bangalore (probably in many other cities) often ride close to four wheelers and as soon as they are some inches forward than the edge of adjacent four wheeler, they turn inwards right in front of the four wheeler. Often the four wheeler drivers have to brake, hold back, honk but all in vain and the two wheeler drivers ignore the warnings. How often as a four wheeler driver have you faced such circumstances and cursed the two wheeler riders for their short sighted driving practices? I fail to understand what kind of satisfaction do such two wheeler drivers derive? How much time do they save by riding so close to larger vehicles and overtaking? Two wheeler drivers have absolutely no protection to their body. They are so vulnerable to body injuries than a four wheeler drivers. Whatever I have written is simple common sense but yet the typical two wheeler driver just doesn't recognize or does not want to recognize his/her vulnerability at all.
cs_rajesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 00:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I fail to understand what kind of satisfaction do such two wheeler drivers derive? How much time do they save by riding so close to larger vehicles and overtaking? Two wheeler drivers have absolutely no protection to their body.
Having done that myself when i was young i can say it has nothing to do with time. Its all the thrill and the feeling of having complete control on the road. The overtaking as a process gives that chills and when you can accelerate in that small gap you just feel a second of invulnerability that raises that bile.

Its definitely not for saving time. Its get even worse on highway and even worse based on bike you own. The same risks goes up by over 100% when you move from say a Splendor to a pulsar and then to a 390. When you own anything as good as a KTM 390 where the bike can do so much with one wring of the accelerator that you know you have better control of the road and the space almost opens up by over 50% more.

And this keeps increasing based on the bike spec, like a FZ1 which cruises so comfortably at 160+ you are in for more feeling of control.

Its not time for sure. Its just the sudden feeling of control which i think many riders will agree. Adrenaline i would say.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 02:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Having done that myself when i was young i can say it has nothing to do with time. Its all the thrill and the feeling of having complete control on the road. The overtaking as a process gives that chills and when you can accelerate in that small gap you just feel a second of invulnerability that raises that bile.

Its definitely not for saving time. Its get even worse on highway and even worse based on bike you own. The same risks goes up by over 100% when you move from say a Splendor to a pulsar and then to a 390. When you own anything as good as a KTM 390 where the bike can do so much with one wring of the accelerator that you know you have better control of the road and the space almost opens up by over 50% more.

And this keeps increasing based on the bike spec, like a FZ1 which cruises so comfortably at 160+ you are in for more feeling of control.

Its not time for sure. Its just the sudden feeling of control which i think many riders will agree. Adrenaline i would say.
You've rightly stated the fact. I'm 18 and a new driver. I too get the sudden urge to quickly downshift and cover the gap in heavy traffic. It's not something I'm proud of but I try my best not to give in to these thrills because it is simply not worth anything at all. I know, you'll must be thinking how stupid I am to admit something like this in a public forum but maybe it's my way of confessing my mistake and hopefully preventing its repetition.
Old 21st January 2015, 04:25   #8
BANNED

The truck driver couldn't have done anything. Horrific though. The scooter driver lost his life just because of a stupid overtaking manuever.
Here I find two wheelers sticking so close to the car even when I've given an indicator that I have to slow down and let them pass or they wreck the car.
Old 21st January 2015, 08:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Giant screens should be installed in front of huge signals and these type of videos should be played during the red signal time repeatedly. Might instill some road manners through the pricking of their sub-conscious self.

They will definitely see this as they some how inch ahead to the front at every signal.

On a second thought, i doubt whether this will work. The highway connecting my place to Coimbatore (NH209) was decorated with flex boards depicting graphical bike accident snaps, but i don't see any improvement.
Old 21st January 2015, 08:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

Exactly same thing had happened to a girl from my college in the late 80s. She was riding a two-wheeler somewhere near Mekhri Circle along with a pillion. She lost control of the vehicle next to a truck and fell between the front and rear wheels, the pillion rider fell to the other side. The truck driver didn't know this happened and continued to move. Her head was crushed under the loaded truck. The other rider was unharmed.
Old 21st January 2015, 14:01   #11
BHPian

A horrific but very informative video nonetheless .

This type of overtaking is so common in Bareilly , even teenaged girls on scooty don't think twice while overtaking a truck a like that by jumping onto the opposite lane (except for delhi highway , all highways and 80% city roads within bareilly/UP I have traveled on are 2 or 3 lane undivided - pure torture and why I have never ventured on highways until now ) and just about squeezing between the truck / bus and incoming traffic .

India is a country of convenience , very few ever think about whether their action will put pressure on another driver/rider. Always taking shortcuts , find the act of driving patiently behind a slow vehicle insulting towards their ego and what not . A traffic like this needs to be dictated how to behave on road , expecting a show of courtesy and patience from them is laughable . How traffic from both side clog a level crossing is a classic example of this willingness to stay ahead .

An incident that happened here last year , 3 young person astride a bike (2 boys , 1 girl - the couple being newly married ) overtook a truck and lost control just ahead of it , the boys were thrown off the road but the girl landed right in front and spot death . This being an army area and right in front of a pillbox , the truck was soon stopped even though at no fault of his . He was taken in custody for his safety because by afternoon , the truck was damaged beyond repair while about hundred staged a sit down on that busy road . The 2 men especially the rider who should have been flogged were considered victims .

Last edited by basuroy : 21st January 2015 at 14:10.
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 14:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Video: Bikers, be cautious when riding alongside trucks & buses

In Pune, this is a norm.
If you don't do this, then expect a lot of blaring horns from riders behind you, who would gladly try the stunt themselves.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 16:16   #13
BHPian

This is really horrific accident. I am surprised that the police department has put this up on their FB. But yes, we should always be safe and maintain distance from big vehicles if driving two wheelers. These kind of accidents will be completely fatal.

Govt should have special lanes for two wheelers something similar to what BRTS in gujarat.
Old 21st January 2015, 18:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

And in India, the truck driver would have been thulped senseless after the accident.

But it is the biker's fault no doubt. And we see countless overtakes like this on our roads everyday.
Old 21st January 2015, 18:24   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I must also add that although most trucks and buses have a flat and non-protruding bonnet, but since the driver sits little away from the steering wheel, he is not really able to see a good 3-4 feet in front of the bus/ truck.

Hence, do not get around this blind spot and make it a point never to overtake such vehicles using this area. We as a rider/ driver may think that the trucker will be able to see us, but that is not really the case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks