Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2016, 17:39   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
As per the Owners Manual of my Aviator, Engine Oil to be used is 10W30.

Honda recommends JASO MB for scooters as can be seen here - Honda Genuine 4-Stroke Scooter Engine Oil SAE 10W30 MB

In addition to the Honda Genuine Engine Oil, looking up on the internet for 10W30 JASO MB Scooter Engine oils, I found these:
  • Motul Scooter LE 10W30
Which one would you guys recommend ? (Castrol seems to be the most expensive and Shell the most inexpensive).
This one would be my pick. Have seen it on a friends Activa. For the non synthetic category, it is pretty smooth and tractable. But my personal pick would anyday be Shell Advance Ultra. With that, you will hardly feel the engine, even all the way to the top speed. Zilch vibrations. Those are the times when you feel its worth those extra bucks.

The quality of an oil cant be judged after refiling. It can be judged before a refill. The difference made after you change the oil is a pointer to how good or bad the old oil was. New oils irrespective of the brand will make the engine feel better. But this feeling should last the life of the oil. After using Advance Ultra for 14k kms till now, there is no difference in the five odd times that I have changed the oil. Lets see if the Motul makes any difference.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 17:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Need some advice:
As per the owners manual of my Aviator, Engine Oil (10W-30) needs to be replaced every 4000Km or 4 months - 4000Km seems fair enough but 4 months, Really ?
My father's Aviator (Non-HET model) manual suggests Engine oil change after an interval of 6000kms or 6 months.
keeprevving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 10:36   #48
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
My father's Aviator (Non-HET model) manual suggests Engine oil change after an interval of 6000kms or 6 months.
Your dad has an "Aviator (Non-HET model)" and that probably explains why there is a difference.
Mine is a HET 2014 December model (bought in Jan 2015) and the owners manual clearly says the Engine Oil Replacement is 4 months OR 4000Km, whichever is earlier.

Last edited by Eddy : 24th November 2016 at 12:49. Reason: As requested
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 09:33   #49
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I was wondering where one can buy genuine Honda scooter spare parts in Bangalore and saw this post by @audioholic but unable to quote it directly as the thread is closed, so quoting another earlier post on this thread so you get notified

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This one would be my pick.
Old 3rd December 2016, 12:35   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering where one can buy genuine Honda scooter spare parts in Bangalore and saw this post by @audioholic but unable to quote it directly as the thread is closed, so quoting another earlier post on this thread so you get notified
You can buy them in parts outlets or even any ASC since they all sell parts OTC. Just go to any ASC and in the billing area you will find a parts counter where you can buy the required part. Till date the only part replaced on my Dio was the front mudguard after it cracked. I visited the parts outlet near Ravindra Kalakshetra and brought it since the nearby ASC didnt have the part in stock. The parts outlet had loads of it ready and I picked the one that looked the most flawless since it's a painted part
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 12:56   #51
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can buy them in parts outlets or even any ASC since they all sell parts OTC.
Thanks!
I will try at the nearby Honda ASC but are there other parts outlets in Bangalore like the one near Ravindra Kalakshethra (are these Honda only parts outlets by any chance) ? Any web site with the list of outlets ? My searches online haven't been successful so far.

Also any good FNG in this side of Bangalore that you may know ? Thinking about the option of using their services while buying genuine parts directly, a much better option than going to ASCs.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd December 2016 at 12:59.
Old 19th December 2016, 07:26   #52
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Engine Oil Replacement update:
With Odometer around 4700Km, it was about 1300Km and 10 months since the last free service.
Based on recommendations from @a4anurag and @audioholic I went looking for engine oil at local stores but could not find both Veedol Take-Off 4S (10W30) & Motul Scooter LE 10W30.
The only one available was Castrol ACTIV SCOOTER 10W-30 priced at Rs.285 for 800ml. Picked this up and headed to a mechanic who was recommended by a friend.
The mechanic quickly got the job done - draining out the old oil and filling in the new one. This should be an easy DIY if you have a torque wrench (I was also thinking one will need a funnel but that's not needed). The Castrol Activ Scooter engine oil can actually comes with a retractable filler/spout as you can see in this

Oil can label - front
Name:  Engine oil can  front.png
Views: 3527
Size:  275.3 KB

Oil can label - back
Name:  Engine oil can  back.png
Views: 3522
Size:  290.4 KB

Oil can - retractable filler/spout
Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-engine-oil-can-spout.jpg

After replacement of engine oil, there is a marked improvement in smoothness and pickup, let's see if there is any change in Fuel Efficiency (FE).

Last edited by NPV : 19th December 2016 at 07:27.
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:54   #53
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Last week was a 'milestone' week with the Aviator's Odo touching the 5000Km mark. Coincidentally, the Waggy®'s Odo also reached the 5000Km mark the same day (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4132411)

After the Engine Oil change, the FE has increased marginally - in the last 2 fuel refills it was 42Kmpl and 43Kmpl, better than the earlier 40-41Kmpl.

*Note:I fuel up the Aviator at the same HP COCO outlet so I don't expect the fuel quality to have changed recently

Last edited by NPV : 23rd January 2017 at 10:59.
Old 30th March 2017, 19:44   #54
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Looked up the Owners Manual for the Aviator and the maintenance schedule mentions that "Final Drive Oil" needs replacement every 2 years. I'm assuming this is the Transmission/Gear Oil.
But surprisingly, nowhere in the manual is the oil specification/grade mentioned (Engine Oil is mentioned as 10W30 but nothing for Gear Oil!). Just says 100-120ml is the quantity of Gear Oil required.

Is SAE 90 the correct oil grade to use ? Any recommended oil brands for this ?

Last edited by NPV : 30th March 2017 at 19:58.
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:09   #55
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

^Thanks to @audioholic who solved the mystery of the transmission oil grade for me
The Transmission oil grade is the same as engine oil - 10W30 JASO MB.

The underside of the seat has a "document holder" that I could not use since the document pouch (for owners manual) given by the dealer would not fit without folding/bending it. I had kept copies of the vehicle documents, etc in a plastic bag that would always be an irritant in the under seat storage space and documents inside would get bent and torn on the edges. The plastic bag would always come in the way when keeping the helmet inside, so finally found some time to tidy up things.

The document holder has four protruding hooks to keep the pouch in place, but to be extra sure the pouch does not come loose when seat (quite frequently it is to keep and remove the helmet and also when refueling) I added my own touch with 2 elastic bands tied together using a velcro strip.

This is the final result (I found a pouch that fits snugly in the space between the hooks):
Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-doc-pouch-2.jpg

With this, the documents are safe and out of the way when using the storage box.

We have a Wego in the family and it has a similar document holder under the seat and it also comes with a rubber band that goes around the hooks and keeps the pouch in place. And, the hooks protrude outside which helps when the band goes around them, unlike the Aviator where they protrude inwards!

*I haven't seen too many people use this document holder (many people do not know of its existence), but would recommend using it as it can keep the under seat storage space clutter free.
I also like the 2 small corner compartments in the storage space to keep the First Aid kit and the Toolkit, help keeps the space clutter free.

This is the document pouch given by the dealer (does not fit in the space provided and needs to be folded/bent)
Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-doc-pouch.jpg

Last edited by NPV : 2nd April 2017 at 15:12.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 16:55   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the late revert. Regarding the source of the information, I am not aware of where I got the information about the transmission oil. But I can assure you that the transmission oil and the engine oil are of the same grade. Since I was busy this week, I did not dig into this matter. I have been replacing the transmission oil every alternate time I changed the engine oil. These days, the usage of my dio has drastically come down which has led to poor upkeep of the scoot, apart from regular washing by my watchman. Had got a service done a few weeks back but nothing like the TLC that was given in the previous years.

Regarding the document holder, I guess in the Dio, that is the holder for the first aid kit. There is a separate partition in the seat storage area which can hold documents.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 20:43   #57
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been replacing the transmission oil every alternate time I changed the engine oil.
I planned to do exactly the same, but all the brands of 10W30 grade, JASO MB specification (some are branded "Scooter") like Veedol Takeoff 4S, Castrol Activ Scooter, Honda Genuine Oil, Motul LE Scooter are available only in 800ml cans, not 1litre. Do you know of any others that we can get in 1litre quantity ?
1 Litre will be ideal for Engine + Transmission, otherwise I will need to buy 2 * 800ml cans and retain the remaining 600ml for the next top up ? Would like to avoid doing that if possible.
Old 9th April 2017, 14:03   #58
BHPian

Dear NPV, I am going a bit off topic, but did you face any problem while riding on stock TVS tyres. My wife drives Aviator for past 2 years and she reported that TVS tyres are pathetic. She even skidded off a water patch while taking U turn.

We have replaced her Aviator tyres with Apollo now. Ride quality has improved and so does the stability. After inspecting the old tyres, we found that rear tyre (already had 2 punctures, both repaired by me ) has been deformed and out of shape at a point. So clearly it could not take passenger weight as expected.
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 14:56   #59
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
Dear NPV, I am going a bit off topic, but did you face any problem while riding on stock TVS tyres.
I haven't experienced a skid/fall incident so far but I definitely feel the tyre grip is not very confidence inspiring and I was using the scooter very sparingly till couple of months ago. Now, it's my primary ride to work and so I use it daily. Due to shorter distance to work, road and traffic conditions, I don't get to use it on open roads so it stays very much in the 30-40kmph speed band mostly. I avoid sharp/sudden manouvres and rarely go up to 50kmph when I get a chance.
I think you did a good thing by replacing the TVS tyres. The tread pattern itself looks quite funky/designer type, but hasn't deformed so far, but in about a year I will be changing them.
Old 1st August 2017, 10:31   #60
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Another milestone - Odo crossed the 7000Km mark last week.

Overall, the scooter has been trouble-free so far, but noticing a minor issue:
Tanked up about 4 days ago when fuel gauge was nearing Empty mark. Even after 4-5 days of usage, the gauge was still showing Full so I thought the fuel tank cap may not have been shut properly. On checking, it was shut flush and the gauge problem persists. However, with ignition off, opening the fuel filler cap and closing it makes the gauge move tad to the left indicating it is below Full tank, but races back to Full when ignition is turned on!

Most Viewed