Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2019, 10:30   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I beg to differ on this! In delhi, during monsoons, the conditions of roads become very bad and very slippery.
I am able to carry 60kmph speeds, manoeuvre through traffic and even do hard braking without any hesitation under wet conditions.

As per my experience Zappers work just fine.
The issue is once they start getting old. The tread depth is quite less and so is the pattern in the sides. Once they start to age they become quite hard and will slip in the first instance. Compared to that the MIchellins are softer and have a deep tread and are holding up pretty well. I have another Dio at home running Zappers while mine runs MCP so I know the difference side by side since I ride either of the scoot based on availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any more details on the tyres ? Are there different tread patterns/tyre quality in the same size to choose from ?
Should I consider any other tyre that will be good on dry and wet conditions ? (We do get a lot of rain in Bangalore).
MCP comes in only one form and different sizes. There is no other difference. Over the last rainy season and the concretized roads they are faring pretty well. I think in this segment I would choose between the Zappers and Michelin. Things like the CEAT and TVS are plain horrible in terms of grip. The CEAT has some intense tread pattern but remember its not an offroad bike so you should not get impressed by the 'buttons' as shopkeepers mention and rather look at the contact patch.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 10:49   #92
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Things like the CEAT and TVS are plain horrible in terms of grip. The CEAT has some intense tread pattern but remember its not an offroad bike so you should not get impressed by the 'buttons' as shopkeepers mention and rather look at the contact patch.
The MRF Zapper has similar pattern like the stock TVS ones and I'm not so keen getting it, too much "open" surface on them to succumb to sharp objects tearing in (though this may just be me being paranoid) and CEAT is at the other end of the spectrum with it's rugged "buttons" and as you rightly said the use isn't for offroading, so I'm going to get the Michelin City Pro.
Thanks for your feedback!

*On these scooter tyres, can I use the valve stems used on Car tyres ? I have some bought from the MGP store some time ago

Last edited by NPV : 6th December 2019 at 10:51.
Old 7th December 2019, 16:06   #93
BHPian

Quote:
What tyres did you buy to replace the stock ones
I went for Apollo.( I don't remember the exact model as of now) Got the rear tire replaced only for now.
Cost was Rs 1200. The tire comes with 3 years unconditional warranty.
This was the first tire change after 6 years of ownership mainly due to low running in the initial years.
I must say that the difference was very much noticable.
Ride Quality has improved a lot.
Planning to change the front tire also.

Recently saw an ad of buyback offer from Apollo, do check for the same.
Bhatia.D17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 17:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Can you share more details of the Apollo tyre model that you replaced the stock tyres with ?

See the snaps please. Sorry for the bad picture quality. Front tyre is 90/90-12 and rear tyre is 90/100-10. These tyres provide superb ride quality. Have driven till 80 kmph with them. Scooter stays in control.
Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-img_20191208_151520.jpgOwnership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-img_20191208_151528.jpgOwnership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-img_20191208_151537.jpgOwnership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-img_20191208_151747.jpg
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 17:44   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
See the snaps please. Sorry for the bad picture quality. Front tyre is 90/90-12 and rear tyre is 90/100-10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
I went for Apollo (I don't remember the exact model as of now)
Has anyone checked out Michelin City Pro tyres?

I think the price is similar to what the Apollo is for.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 18:10   #96
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Has anyone checked out Michelin City Pro tyres?

I think the price is similar to what the Apollo is for.
Based on @audioholic's recommendation (see previous posts on this thread), I got the Michelin City Pro tyres to replace the stock TVS tyres. Will post an update soon with more details. Price was Rs.1350 for front tyre and Rs.1250 for for rear.

Last edited by NPV : 8th December 2019 at 18:26.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 19:55   #97
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

As mentioned in my previous post, I replaced the stock TVS Conta 350M tyres on the scooter with Michelin City Pro tyres last week. Wanted to get the tyres from Madhus Enterprises, but the rear tyre was quite bad and losing air very fast and I didn't want to risk a 10+Km ride to Madhus, so just got them from a nearby dealer.

With the new tyres, overall ride quality is decent, tyres feel very grippy on the roads.

However, the handlebar feels quite stiff and at turns and curves on the roads, I felt the need to steer a bit more (right now most city roads in Bangalore are dug up or unevenly patched up, so I'm extra cautious too). I took the scooter to my trusted local mechanic and his conclusion was that this is expected from any front tyre other than TVS Conta/MRF Zapper etc that have the flat, plain (vine like) tread patterns.

I also want to check if reducing tyre pressure in front tyre will help - recommended is 22 psi and with the stock tyres, I gradually found that ride comfort was good with 25 psi, so used the same on the new front tyre, will now try with 22 psi.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th December 2019 at 21:07. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 14th December 2019, 20:49   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also want to check if reducing tyre pressure in front tyre will help - recommended is 22 psi and with the stock tyres, I gradually found that ride comfort was good with 25 psi, so used the same on the new front tyre, will now try with 22 psi.
I am using 22 psi from day one of my Dio ownership. The petrol bunk guys will set it to 26 or 25 but I always make it a point to go with 22. However, reducing tyre pressure will make your handlebar stiffer since you are effectively increasing tyre contact patch. However, the grip would improve further especially when wet. Same for the rear as well. Go with the recommended pressure especially if you ride alone most of the time.
Old 9th January 2020, 00:37   #99
BHPian

Hi all,
I myself have an '11 Aviator with a little over 70k KMs on the clock. I thought it may be a good idea to upgrade the lighting on the instrument cluster as I find it quite dim.

Whichever youtube videos I've seen show a very straightforward process of simply changing the bulbs to LEDs, but I've noticed these are merely connected to the magnet, and will result in dimming while idle and also shorten the life of the LED.

Is there any solution to this?
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:00   #100
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The Aviator's speedo stopped working suddenly, so took it to the FNG mechanic where I'd gotten it serviced few months ago. The entire outer part of the cable (casing/sleeve) was intact without any signs of damage/wear. The front wheel end of the cable was intact, but it had snapped from the instrument cluster end. Don't know how this could have happened, so the mechanic said it will need to be replaced. He only had a local make cable (without outer casing/sleeve) that he said will be Rs.150. I told him I'll get the Honda Genuine Part for the same and get it replaced by him. Bought the part from a nearby Dealer owned Honda Service outlet, part details:

Part No:44830-KWP-901 CABLE COMP, SPDMT Rs.118

Asked if it can be replaced at the service centre and they said, I will need to get it the next day as they had too many vehicles for service that day.

Took it back to the FNG mechanic and he fixed the new cable in 15 minutes, labour charge Rs.70 (had to remove headlamp cowl & mirrors to access the cable).
Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-aviator-speedo-cable2.jpg

Last edited by NPV : 22nd January 2020 at 12:02.
Old 29th June 2020, 14:41   #101
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Replaced it with an Amaron Pro Rider ABR-PR-APBTZ4L (3 Ah)
During the lockdown, the scooter did not see much usage although I would start it every alternate day and let the engine idle for 5 minutes.

Doesn't seem to have helped though - about 3 weeks ago, the self start stopped working, horn and turn indicators went limp. Visited the Battery shop and he said there have been lots of complaints recently and most have been solved by getting a deep charge done, in most cases this was necessary due to the no/low usage during the lockdown.

Left the Amaron batterry at his shop and he gave me a standby one that worked well.
After 4 days I went back to check on the status and he mentioned that despite the deep charge, the battery discharged completely the next day!

Luckily, the warranty was for 48 months and it was replaced with a brand new one Free Of Cost
One more positive experience with Amaron, this time with service and honoring the warranty, I'm a very satisfied and loyal customer for years.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 15:23   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
During the lockdown, the scooter did not see much usage although I would start it every alternate day and let the engine idle for 5 minutes. Luckily, the warranty was for 48 months and it was replaced with a brand new one Free Of Cost .
Though in your case it could have been a battery issue, I dont think the scooter alternator can provide enough current to charge the battery at idle. These are not like the ones in the car which is managed by the ECU whose duty cycle can be varied based on the need and engine speed. Hence, if you want to actually add some energy to the battery, you should either run it at a higher speed either while stationary or take it out for a ride where engine will run at higher speeds.

I am not sure which battery has come in my Dio from the factory. Its eight years of very vague usage and 28k kms and the battery shows no signs of packing up. I will surely replace it with the same brand if it ever fails. For the record, I run 45W headlights, zero kick starts - the kicker is safely kept in my cupboard from a long time. But this battery seems to be legendary.
Old 1st August 2020, 18:24   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Based...
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Has...
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The...
Hey guys, my Aviator (2008, 1st gen, 102cc, Disc) has covered about 34K kms. Haven't used it much the past few years and though I got it serviced a year ago from a FNG, I thought I would give it a complete overhaul at the HASS.

I switched to Michelins just before the lockdown and I know that a brake fluid change is due. Battery has been reconditioned with my smart charger. Other than poor mileage (20kmpl or less) I see no real problems. But I'll be taking it to the HASS after nearly 6 years and want full paisa vasool - meaning, I would like to get those not-normally-done by the FNG issues fixed properly. [like the disc brake fluid flush and pad change]
Are there any pointers you could give me on what I should ask them to check? Something that people neglect to change or clean that could result in expensive repairs later? (like the CV boots in a car or the PCV valve)

Another question - Does this engine have a centrifugal oil filter?
TIA.
Old 1st August 2020, 21:39   #104
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Hey guys, my Aviator (2008, 1st gen, 102cc, Disc) has covered about 34K kms. Haven't used it much the past few years and though I got it serviced a year ago from a FNG, I thought I would give it a complete overhaul at the HASS.
From my personal experience with Honda Scooters Authorized service centres, it's a hit or miss. They hiked the charges so much that it's now Rs.1900 for a simple service! Just before the lockdown, a friend had moved to his hometown and had entrusted me with his Activa which I'd taken recently to an authorized service centre. They just want to make a quick buck with minimal effort. If you insist on changing certain parts they won't question you, but will not even share their opinions on anything else that may need to be looked at or replaced.

If you're really knowledgeable about the work and the service centre allows you to hang around while the work is being done (with the Covid situation this seems risky as well!), maybe you can give it a shot. Otherwise, I think it would be good if you can buy all the genuine spares from one of the authorized outlets and take the scooter to a trusted FNG.

Last edited by NPV : 1st August 2020 at 21:43.
Old 7th September 2020, 10:11   #105
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Back in March, I bought the Motul Scooter LE 10W30 Engine Oil (800 ml), but never got around to replacing it during the lockdown and usage was also quite less

Late last month I realized this and took it to a nearby mechanic (the HP petrol bunk nearby refused to do the replacement unless I buy the oil from them) who replaced engine with 700 ml of the oil and remaining 100 ml for the transmission.

The mechanic mentioned that we should always use gear oil 80w90, I keep hearing this from most mechanics, so I told him I'm just following instructions in the owner's manual.

I can do the replacement myself but hesitate to do it because of concerns about the safe disposal of the used oil. I'm not sure if the local petrol bunk or mechanics will accept them for disposal ?

Last edited by NPV : 7th September 2020 at 10:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks