Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2015, 18:40   #1
Team-BHP Support

DSK plans to manufacture entire Hyosung range in India

DSK Motowheels, which assembles and sells motorcycles in India for Hyosung, has plans to manufacture the entire range of bikes from the Korean manufacturer in India.

According a media report, the Pune-based company and Hyosung are in the process of finalising a deal, which will see the Indian company locally source components and manufacture all Hyosung products in the country. Hyosung is also reported to be planning to bring its R&D operations to India. Products built in India are likely to be sold in the domestic as well as export markets as the country is likely to become its primary manufacturing base.

DSK's current facility is located at Wai, near Pune. The plant has a capacity of 70-80 units a month and the company is planning to start assembly of Benelli motorcycles. DSK will obviously need to increase the capacity if it is to start manufacturing Hyosung motorcycles locally.

Locally manufacturing two-wheelers is expected to bring their prices down considerably.

Source: Overdrive
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 20:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: DSK plans to manufacture entire Hyosung range in India

I'll believe it when I see it. I do hope its true though

But I am skeptical. No way manufacturing costs are lower in India as opposed to China. Cant see the business reason for why they would make this move
Old 31st January 2015, 14:49   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
No way manufacturing costs are lower in India as opposed to China.
While manufacturing in China will be cheaper, if you want to sell it in India, making the bikes here is definitely cheaper. Reason = Import duties (designed to protect & encourage local manufacturing ).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 17:57   #4
BHPian

Since DSK already has a set up, adding more products to its line up would only help to attain break-even faster. Then there's Benelli too. Anyways, more products will lead to more choices for the consumer & maybe better prices due to increased competition.
coolrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 02:20   #5
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A good move presently the 250s are about 1L more expensive that the Thunderbird and classic RE. With roughly the same power from a unit that is half the size. A 1L price drop as is reported will make them good value and boost sales. It is much required and they are already good products but slightly more than the vfm level and lack brand value in India so need to do better than VFM
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 06:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
A good move presently the 250s are about 1L more expensive that the Thunderbird and classic RE. With roughly the same power from a unit that is half the size. A 1L price drop as is reported will make them good value and boost sales. It is much required and they are already good products but slightly more than the vfm level and lack brand value in India so need to do better than VFM
Curious:
a. Are they selling right now? I never saw them in Delhi till Aug 2013 or any in Chennai (not at meets but generally on the road near OMR/ECR).
b. Isnt it too late? As a prospective customer, I'd never consider them. e.g My 9 year old Pulsar will be replaced the day I have spare cash for CBR250 in the bank. I'm not even considering Hyosung considering that its failed.

It seems ironically very late.

Else in the 2004-2007 era Hyosung had great value courtesy Aquila and Comet!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:44   #7
BHPian

So can we say that we have a contender to RE?

The Aquila 250 and GT 250R will make more sense if the price is reduced as above stated. Even then Hyosung needs to prove in terms of A.S.S and customer satisfaction to build a strong brand name.

Who knows they may do well than RE too, because RE is not great in A.S.S and being niggle free.

Lets wait and watch.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2015 at 13:27. Reason: Typos
rki2007 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd February 2015, 19:42   #8
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a small DSK and a BIG RE outlet on Ghodbunder Road Thane. They are both owned by the same guys.
Old 9th February 2015, 20:51   #9
BHPian

Here in Bangalore they have a showroom near Ulsoor lake and the service center is in Jayanagar. I bought my ST7 last year. The bike is awesome. The service center is too far, and they charge between 1-2k just for pick up drop off. Even my car takes less - sometimes it is free. It is a hassle and a rip off.

So I am doing oil change etc locally - major servicing I will bring the bike to Jayanagar myself.

Most Viewed