Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 23:21   #181
Team-BHP Support

re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
What an awesome capture!

Did you get to hear what it sounded like??

I wonder of there is a possibility of 2 versions coming off this platform! A scrambler like the one you shot and a thoroughbred ADV version like the one posted a few pages back!
No man. It was a very windy day and I was never close enough to the bike to actually hear it.

This bike would be a lot of fun. After a long time I was actually jealous of someone riding a bike in front of me.

This ain't much but this is a video my dashcam captured:

Watch in HD.

Last edited by bblost : 6th August 2015 at 00:01.
bblost is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 23:42   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Information that I cannot guarantee as correct:
1. Engine will be about 380-400 cc
2. Mileage around 27kmpl.

One thing is sure. The bike looks awesome even in its naked form.
The rider told me that once you ride this, there is no way you will go back to any of the other RE's
Thank you for this scoop. It surely adds to the excitement & curiosity levels. I started a 'piggy bank' for this beauty last month. Now I need to work out a 'communication plan' for explaining a third bike in our garage to my better half.

Did the rider have any idea about launch dates or production readiness level of the bike?
Old 6th August 2015, 09:17   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post

Did the rider have any idea about launch dates or production readiness level of the bike?
Understand your predicament, I will not be surprised if the bike is out in the market by this Diwali. Price tag can be as good as one can think.
Knowing RE and their recent pricing I will be surprised if it gets to be more than 275K
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:26   #184
Senior - BHPian

I'm in the market for a new bike ever since I sold my CI500 and following how the Himalayan is shaping up and being a RE fan, I really wouldn't mind this since it's a touring bike that I am looking for .
Only hope that RE doesn't do a S-Cross on it.

Last edited by tharian : 6th August 2015 at 11:54.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:49   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
post Diwali launch is what I have heard- this could also mean launch at auto expo 2016, which seems a logical thing IMHO
AFAIK RE wont be taking part in the auto expo.
I hope RE brings out the twin in the same naked avatar and this bike will be in my garage along with my CL 500 for sure.
Old 6th August 2015, 13:53   #186
BHPian

Loved your video, very crisp, clear and jerk free. Would have loved to hear the sound of the bike. Getting too greedy, am I not? Thanks for posting it.
Old 6th August 2015, 14:49   #187
BHPian

Quote:
No man. It was a very windy day and I was never close enough to the bike to actually hear it.

This bike would be a lot of fun. After a long time I was actually jealous of someone riding a bike in front of me.
Thanks for sharing. The machine really pulls like a locomotive.
Any idea if it was a carburetor version or FI ?

Last edited by adrian : 6th August 2015 at 14:50. Reason: removing video from quote
Old 6th August 2015, 14:53   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I am not sure.

The speedo console did do the full electronic check kind of thing that happens on these EFI bikes. But I am not sure.

Was too excited and was in a bit of a rush when talking with the rider.
feel like
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:19   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I doubt if they would have a carb version, Adrian.
Especially with the emission norms getting stringent every year and being a whole new engine , my guess is EFI.

I see the stepped seat is being carried over from the Bullets.
Looks very capable both on and off road. I did notice in the video that there was a spring bounce on a level road, that may get more when loaded. Probably due to the mono shock.

Hopefully they re-work that muffler, at least in the looks department. It reminds me of one of the 100-125cc commuter bikes muffler.

I feel as with other Enfields, in high revs it won't be all that good, by the way it pulled away suggest a strong mid range which matters on a touring bike.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 18:11   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I humbly disagree with all the above mentioned points.

There is a group of riders that will always associate REs with thump, looks, feel, soul, culture, history and the likes. They want their chrome, shiny paint et al

There's another group, that wants a motorcycle they can do it all on. Tour, go trail bashing, in relative comfort, at reasonably fast speeds (without feeling that the motorcycle is about to disintegrate into a gazillion pieces), carry luggage etc etc. These very guys are the ones that have been taking bullets places no one ever thought one could. Heck, these are the guys that have taken their bulls to events like "Raid De Himalaya"

I am also glad to note that the former kind of rider, one who is all about the looks and the shine and the blaahhh; is a dying breed. I see more people coming up who want a competent motorcycle without letting their judgement get clouded by a history lesson

As stated earlier; I have it from a VERY reliable source that this is unlike ANY Enfield EVER; and that we are all in for a pleasant surprise. You may take this update with a pinch of salt; dash of ketchup or whatever tickles your fancy. But having known this guy personally, seeing him RIP dirt and asphalt roads to shreds (basically a very gifted rider) and most importantly - extent of his association with the product in question (cannot divulge further details); I have full faith in his assessment

Lastly; comparo with Impulse is not fair. It was a good product; but lacked in many areas that did not sync well with the market. A relatively underpowered engine that would not let you cruise beyond 80 KMPH all day, issues with air fuel mix; especially on high altitudes, not exactly pillion friendly, a rear suspension that was non adjustable (while the same is adjustable in a unicorn.... Go figure) and general quality issues (like rust on the frame since day one)

If RE falters on the quality; this will flop too. I too have my apprehensions like I am sure many others here would also such as cost of spares, after sales (especially when the current crop of mechanics cannot fully deal with the relatively simple machines in most cases) etc. However; RE so far is doing everything right and I can hardly wait for it to be available for a test ride
I am not saying nobody will buy this but it will be very very less.

There are only small group of people in India who buy expensive bikes for leisure activities. Rest wants to use for commuting and occasional trips.

If this is targeted for those small group of people, they should make this product that stands tall with the global giants interms of reliability, performance etc.

Also the small group of people who wants to tour also have lot of money, they will easily go for other foreign brands. Again, the reason to go for RE is because of its old roots / legacy etc.

The current group of bullets are also used for daily commuting. Dirt bikes, tourer like Honda Goldwing and cars like Ariel atom are hard to sell in India. Where their use is often not breadth enough to accommodate our requirements.
Old 6th August 2015, 18:42   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After some time another bike also crossed me and I did not attempt to click his pics as I knew it would be futile.
Hey that's a wonderful scoop, what speeds were you doing in your car when they overtook you?
Old 6th August 2015, 18:55   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hey that's a wonderful scoop, what speeds were you doing in your car when they overtook you?
I don't exactly remember but this was AH45.
I am sure I must have been more than 80 kmph.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 20:24   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I doubt if they would have a carb version, Adrian.
Especially with the emission norms getting stringent every year and being a whole new engine , my guess is EFI.
^
True in every sense.

Many would call me a 'caveman' rather than 'old school', but I think I will always be comfortable taking a simple motorcycle with carburetor for a lone ride (in remote rough trails having water crosses), in which I can rectify small problems by myself and move on. With these complicated EFI motorcycles, the only option available is to load it up in a flat bed and bring it to the workshop. I would rather ride an old CI bullet through a water crossing with peace of mind than a motorcycle fixed with costly electronics gimmicks. Then it is just the caveman me

Last edited by adrian : 6th August 2015 at 20:31.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 11:50   #194
BHPian

The latest & best pic yet:
http://www.motoroids.com/news/exclus...best-look-yet/

-surja
surjaonwheelz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 11:54   #195
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Like no other Enfield ever. Looks amazing !

Source: Motoroids

Quote:
The torque output figure is expected to be about 40 Nm, nearly 12 Nm (or so) higher than the current 350cc engine, while power is also expected to nudge the 35 bhp mark.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-royalenfieldhimalayanspyimage.jpg  

//M is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed