Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 12:33   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Like no other Enfield ever. Looks amazing !

Source: Motoroids
True indeed! Like no other Enfield. Ever! It looks absolutely stunning! And the brakes looks like a direct lift from the Continental GT!

BTW wonder how they arrive at these torque and BHP figures from the picture!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 7th August 2015 at 12:38.
Old 7th August 2015, 15:42   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
BTW wonder how they arrive at these torque and BHP figures from the picture!
These days Media themselves are jury. They decide on everything and anything. Right from politics to sports. Frustrating to say the least.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 12:34   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Like no other Enfield ever. Looks amazing !
Looks amazing indeed.

It seems they have actually copied at least the logo from the German Clubman I'd posted in #135 in this thread earlier.
Old 9th August 2015, 18:32   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Information that I cannot guarantee as correct:
1. Engine will be about 380-400 cc
2. Mileage around 27kmpl.
Good Spot! Did the engine looked "ALL NEW"? Was it visually different? Any idea about it's valve-train?
Old 9th August 2015, 21:18   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
Good Spot! Did the engine looked "ALL NEW"? Was it visually different? Any idea about it's valve-train?
Most probably, it will have OHC or DOHC.
Nilay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 09:40   #201
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, after I spoke with a company representative, the new 400 cc engine will not have pushrods. It will have a redesigned head, twinspark and better combustion. Reportedly it is unlike any other RE engine so far, and actually can revv to about 7k rpm!!
It supposedly produces some 35/40 bhp and the torque figures have dropped to below 3kgm. So in essence the bike seems more in tune with a modern single, rather than a old thumper.

But we should take this with a pinch of salt until we have confirmed reports regarding the same, because what news I obtained is what I heard from this person.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 10th August 2015 at 09:41.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 19:26   #202
BHPian

Here's a render posted by IAB today:

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-royalenfieldhimalayansideiabrendering1024x768.jpg
outofthebox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 21:25   #203
BHPian

I find that the rendering by IAB has the rear wheel sprocket and the disc brake swapped when compared with the photo in #195. The photo in #195 and also the earlier ones have the disc brake on the right side. Probably the artist overlooked this part.

Overall the picture looks good.
Old 10th August 2015, 22:04   #204
Senior - BHPian

IAB got the front mudguard design wrong. And I feel that the "front brackets" around the headlight may have some kind of faring slapped onto it. it doesnt seem to have any other purpose- its not aesthetically pleasing like a Trellis frame to leave it exposed.
Old 10th August 2015, 23:23   #205
BHPian

I wish they could incorporate an under-seat exhaust. From the pictures it looks like the first thing that will hit the ground in uneven terrain is the trademark Enfield exhaust pipe, never mind the generous ground clearance.

Why does RE have to use the same old header pipe for all of its models?

What would the weight of this bike be? Another RE bugbear that I hope isn't carried over.

That aside, I'm primed and tuned.
airfoil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:26   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
I wish they could incorporate an under-seat exhaust. From the pictures it looks like the first thing that will hit the ground in uneven terrain is the trademark Enfield exhaust pipe, never mind the generous ground clearance.
Don't imagine that being too much of a problem. Even the Tigers and the GS have their pipes running under the engine and while scraping the terrain is almost guaranteed, a bash plate should work well. Even if RE doesn't provide one for the exhaust, fabricating one shouldn't be too difficult.

Last edited by Tushar : 11th August 2015 at 11:27.
Old 11th August 2015, 12:43   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
IAB got the front mudguard design wrong. And I feel that the "front brackets" around the headlight may have some kind of faring slapped onto it. it doesnt seem to have any other purpose- its not aesthetically pleasing like a Trellis frame to leave it exposed.
I am pretty sure that this RE will have no fairing of any sorts on it. These front brackets are actually mounts for "tank panniers". Something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-image.jpg  

Urban_Nomad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 14:54   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Many would call me a 'caveman' rather than 'old school', but I think I will always be comfortable taking a simple motorcycle with carburetor for a lone ride (in remote rough trails having water crosses), in which I can rectify small problems by myself and move on. With these complicated EFI motorcycles, the only option available is to load it up in a flat bed and bring it to the workshop. I would rather ride an old CI bullet through a water crossing with peace of mind than a motorcycle fixed with costly electronics gimmicks. Then it is just the caveman me
Fully agree with your sentiments. Unfortunately such practical considerations are about as rare as cave men these days.

And lets face it, there havent been very many revolutionary carbonation technologies developed recently - its probably going to be a museum piece soon, unless resuscitated from another application elsewhere.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 13:03   #209
BHPian

Make it count, RE !

Since the bike has the name 'Himalayan' and will be used by intrepid explorers in the Himalayas (where else? ), with the trips lasting from a few days to months altogether, a few logical things come to mind
  • Comfort - both on the road and off it. This includes, ergonomics, handling, ease of mounting luggage and suspension, to make those long hours in the saddle enjoyable.
  • Reliability - you don't want to be struggling with a kaput spark plug or carburettor in the back of beyond with nary a mechanic in sight when you'd rather be feeling the wind in your hair! Fuel injection presents a strong case here, especially for the rarefied atmospheres of Ladakh/ Spiti/ Arunachal.
  • Fuel efficiency - for venturing into the great unknown without knowing whether there's a fuel bunk at the end of the trail or not. A large capacity fuel tank assumes great importance here, for obvious reasons.
  • Power and Torque - Touring two up, with luggage and going up those crazy slopes would need a decent power to weight/ torque to weight ratios. I hope RE is working on this.
  • Tubeless Tyres - Spoked wheels may be great for offroading, but tubeless tyres resist punctures and are easy to repair - greatly appreciated when you're cold, hungry, tired with a punctured rear wheel on a desolate mountain pass and want to get the bike up and running as soon as possible. RE must provide tubeless tyres in the machine.
  • Safety - The bike will not always be on the dirt track. And as is evident from the video posted bblost, the bike is capable of sustaining triple digit speed. ABS will be a welcome, much needed addition to the bike.
  • Price - As has been mentioned in an earlier post, RE would do well to price the bike competitively. Since it's a relatively new segment, some aggressive pricing wouldn't hurt. Though soon this segment too will hot up, with rumours of introduction of KTM 390 Adventure and Kawasaki Versys 250 doing the rounds

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 13th August 2015 at 13:08.
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 14:30   #210
BHPian

Re: Make it count, RE !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
[*]Reliability - you don't want to be struggling with a kaput spark plug or carburettor in the back of beyond with nary a mechanic in sight when you'd rather be feeling the wind in your hair! Fuel injection presents a strong case here, especially for the rarefied atmospheres of Ladakh/ Spiti/ Arunachal.
I beg to differ here. There is nothing complex inside a carburetor that is irreparable by the rider. Just keep spare jets, floats and a rubber diaphragm (CV carburetors) .If you are over cautious, you can keep a spare carburetor, plonk it in and move on. More over it is repairable by any roadside mechanic.

Now consider the following scenario : An EFI motorcycle tips in a water crossing frying its n number of sensors and on board computer? No, I don't want to be the rider of that motorcycle.

OT : The traveler in the link provided seems to stand on his tail for what ever he has encountered in India

Last edited by adrian : 13th August 2015 at 14:58.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks