Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2016, 14:50   #826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
I've been watching this ad on loop since yesterday. I liked the bike, but wasn't convinced enough to buy it after riding it. This ad is brainwashing me to reconsider .

I think this is the first Royal Enfield product ad in 6-7 years, not including the 'handcrafted in Chennai' film. Just goes to show how important the Himalayan is to Royal Enfield.
I think RE is selling a lifestyle more than just the bike. It's a smart move.

The big question, Buy now and risk the niggles of a new bike or wait for later and pay more? The pricing though is spot on! Anything more and I'm sure there would have been more people on the fence waiting for the second batch!

I wish Himalayan becomes a huge success! It'll just open up the adventure touring segment and we'll get a lot more options.
And hopefully the great Indian fairing fetish will finally reduce a bit!
N.r.K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 15:56   #827
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!

I test rode the bike, it is difficult to judge without an extended highway run. The heat was searing, no way this can be ridden in Bangalore traffic. The gearing is tall right from 1st so navigating by lanes is a pain. Engine lugs easily in 2nd especially with a pillion, you have to be in 1st for city traffic. Frequent start stops isn't what it likes. I couldnt get past 3rd. I came away thinking this isn't meant to be one bike that can do it all. Not that the bike feels unwieldly, it shrinks once underway. Engine response isnt crisp, it plods. You need to maintain momentum. It hints at a great highway ride, a tourer. I think I got a sense for what they mean by purposeful, this most certainly will not fit all purposes.

Ergos are great. The D390's ergos didn't work for me, this is better. You can stand and move around in the saddle without much effort or upsetting the bike. Clutch didn't feel hard but hard to say without crawling in traffic for an hour.

Once it becomes available, I intend to rent it for a Weekend.

Last edited by Beast_of_Burden : 19th March 2016 at 15:58.
Old 19th March 2016, 17:59   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
This is what the aftermarket exhaust sounds like.

There's no difference in appearance apart from the the matte black wrap under the heat shield on the exhaust. And it does sound better.
You can hear the clatter in this clip.
Gordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 21:46   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
... no way this can be ridden in Bangalore traffic. The gearing is tall right from 1st so navigating by lanes is a pain. Engine lugs easily in 2nd especially with a pillion, you have to be in 1st for city traffic. Frequent start stops isn't what it likes. I couldnt get past 3rd. I came away thinking this isn't meant to be one bike that can do it all

...I think I got a sense for what they mean by purposeful, this most certainly will not fit all purposes.

... Clutch didn't feel hard but hard to say without crawling in traffic for an hour.
Guess you have answered the question I had all along - 'How is this for heavy traffic in city'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
...Once it becomes available, I intend to rent it for a Weekend.
But still have expectations. Never knew one could rent bikes. New models especially. Could you provide more details. Specifically if one can rent in Mumbai. Thanks.
Old 19th March 2016, 23:01   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackr View Post
Guess you have answered the question I had all along - 'How is this for heavy traffic in city'.

But still have expectations. Never knew one could rent bikes. New models especially. Could you provide more details. Specifically if one can rent in Mumbai. Thanks.
Tall gearing is great for open roads. The Funduro was notorious for its tall gearing and it was a mile muncher. In Bangalore all manner of Enfields can be rented from Wicked Rides aside from Harley's, Kawis, etc I don't know about Mumbai. As I see it the Himalayan is entirely recreational in intent, I expect Wicked Rides to have this bike in their offerings before long.
Beast_of_Burden is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 23:24   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
everytime someone points out that in your bike or asks you questions- like that one CBSE maths paper- 'Beta how much you got in that?
How did you know that? I barely passed my CBSE math paper.

I took a very short test ride today. Bike handled well. Though I was shifting way too quickly as I'm accustomed to the UCE 500. I didnt realize when to shift as I couldn't feel the vibrations. ��

The engine clatter is there, nothing too disturbing for me unless I'm lugging the bike. I'm looking to get a longer test drive once I'm back in Mumbai.

Last edited by maker_of_things : 19th March 2016 at 23:33.
Old 19th March 2016, 23:46   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today i went for a third consecutive TD on the bike and here are the updated numbers
1- 40@6000
2- 65@6000
3.- 85@6000
4- 105@6000
5- 120-125@6000>
The TD bike has done about 260Km and the vibrations are horrendous at 4250-5000- and somewhere in that range-
The engine clatter- is clearly audible when under load- and its almost feels like you are going to be very very sad...

All one needs to do is see the leak from the top of the engine case, where the filler cap sits to wonder how a bike thats run 262km in 3 days is looking like a 3 year old. Shabby 3 year old.
I think people must bear in mind, these are new motorcycles which have not received a proper break in being ridden by riders ranging from novices to experts and being pushed to their limits.

You yourself ran the engine up to 6000 rpm in every gear and I rather doubt that you were the first to do it.

Such treatment can easily damage a new engine and result in knocking/tapping/ticking/clunking that would not be present had the engine been given a proper break in.

I'm not being critical of your treatment of the test motorcycle on the ride. As I mentioned, everyone is riding it that way.
I am suggesting that perhaps if the new motorcycle had been treated like a proud owner would treat their own motorcycle in its infancy, some of the issues mentioned may have been much less severe.
ArizonaJim is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 08:51   #833
Senior - BHPian

Surprisingly, I didn't notice the clatter when I took a spin yesterday. The bike had run around 200 kms and I took it through the gears, didn't Rev a lot, but I did notice a kind of thunk noise from the engine on and off. Not sure where exactly that was from since it was there only when riding.
But no clatter.

I was annoyed with the tough gear shift though hoping it will smoothen out.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 10:12   #834
BHPian

Quote:
The TD bike has done about 260Km and the vibrations are horrendous at 4250-5000- and somewhere in that range-.
That is the RPM in which I cruise on the highways, 85 to 95KMPH. And if that is where the vibrations are bad then my bad luck is going to continue with Himalayan too. My GT has bad vibrations between 2700 and 3000 rpm which translates to 80 to 90 KMPH. I'm not fond of cruising beyond 90 in our roads. I was hoping that with an overhead cam and rubber mounting the vibrations would have come down a lot. Any way since I have booked it let me wait for the delivery and keep my fingers crossed
arulpeem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 10:34   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
That is the RPM in which I cruise on the highways, 85 to 95KMPH. And if that is where the vibrations are bad then my bad luck is going to continue with Himalayan too. My GT has bad vibrations between 2700 and 3000 rpm which translates to 80 to 90 KMPH. I'm not fond of cruising beyond 90 in our roads. I was hoping that with an overhead cam and rubber mounting the vibrations would have come down a lot. Any way since I have booked it let me wait for the delivery and keep my fingers crossed
There are no vibrations. I mean it's nothing compared to the GT which is even more refined the the Classic 590 which I ride.
maker_of_things is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 10:40   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I would be wary of that. IMHO such things are never very easy to implement on our motorbikes, due to the need for upgrading the alternator.

These links summarize the kind of stories I used to hear from my friends a few years back about running a cigarette lighter mod on their bullets:
http://royalenfield.com/community/fo.../?topicid=3610

Portable charging is a great thing to have, but it is practically nice to have not must have in the era of inexpensive 20,000 mah power banks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Himalayan has a 170W alternator. If that is the case then we need not worry about adding some more load on the system, at least I suppose so. The entire lighting system should total up to about a maximum of 120 or 130W. But in real life situation it wouldn't cross 100W of continuous power I suppose. I don't know how much the ignition would take up,should not be more than 20W. So that will still leave additional capacity. This is my guess.
if not a full-fledged 12v socket, atleast a dual-usb charging socket is welcome. I agree power-banks are inexpensive, but having a usb charging on the bike would assist in gps / dashcam / mobile (ofcourse with extra mounts to hold those devices). I have already seen many owners getting these fitted on their bikes. these days even scooters (activa, wego etc) give these sockets.

yes, adding extra lights etc may affect the battery & alternator.
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 20:17   #837
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
The Doctor has spoken!

As most of you might know, I am talking about BHPian ebonho. He test rode the bike and shared his views with me via WhatsApp.
I spoke to Doc today as well. We were about to meet today in the evening but something urgent cropped up and I couldn't meet him. But yes knowing Doc as a rider personally, he is one person who will use this bike to its extent and will have a lot of fun provided the parts are durable. That is if at all Doc opts to buy it.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 20:58   #838
BHPian

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion on the new test-ride thread. Thanks!

Oh My God
How did I forget- the name is not printed on the bike, Its cut vinyl stickers.
Now someone please tell me they saw the bike as closely as the few with me-
VINYL?

So a few washes after the so called 'off road' yahoo with the bike and
"look ma, I dont know what bike this is????"

Vinyl? Really??
-------
Someone told me on my FB page, KD, give up... let it go.

Last edited by GTO : 21st March 2016 at 13:53. Reason: Linking to new thread :)
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks