Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 10:25   #106
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I still feel that this is close to what people have spotted testing.
Yes I think so too. The final version should look more or less like this - and that's not a bad thing at all.

I'm so excited looking at all the sneak peeks and anxiously waiting for the launch.
Old 7th May 2015, 10:49   #107
Senior - BHPian

I only hope this new engine (from the looks of it), pushes out higher ratings than the 535 UCE and is reliable at it.
Overall, the test bike looks like RE's version of the D390.
Old 7th May 2015, 12:06   #108
Senior - BHPian

That Hero Honda CD100 style exhaust is a massive eyesore on what is a reasonably ok looking retro classic scrambler.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:13   #109
Senior - BHPian

I am in love again , last time I was in love when I saw the conti. I didn't like the tank design, they could have used a more curvy design to compliment the over all bulked look. The tyres could have been better and the exhaust looks out of place. None of these become a show stopper if this makes to our roads at a sub 1.25 lac mark, it would not make sense above 1.5 lac.

The conti though had a lot of equipment to brag about the 200k cost, didn't sell in numbers due to the cost, I hope RE has realised it and prices this one aggressively.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Pramod
Old 7th May 2015, 13:41   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I am in love again , last time I was in love when I saw the conti. I didn't like the tank design, they could have used a more curvy design to compliment the over all bulked look. The tyres could have been better and the exhaust looks out of place. None of these become a show stopper if this makes to our roads at a sub 1.25 lac mark, it would not make sense above 1.5 lac.

The conti though had a lot of equipment to brag about the 200k cost, didn't sell in numbers due to the cost, I hope RE has realised it and prices this one aggressively.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Pramod
Pramod I think your price expectations are a bit on the unrealistic side, especially when its Royal Enfield we are speaking about.

A few facts:

1) Every new model of the Royal Enfield is costlier than the previous one.

2) Every new model is costlier not in increments of 5000 rupees. Royal Enfield jumps prices in slabs of 20-30,000 rupees.

3) The above is true mostly for models with a different look and same engine.

4) When a change in engine is involved - like a huge jump of 35 cc in the current UCEs, the jump is bigger. The standard 20-30K + "Engine Tax" of another 20K. As for the Continental GT.

5) Lastly, the "Himalayan" is by RE definition, going by their previous history which I have been following for at least a couple of decades now, a radically new bike. Chassis, suspension, tinwork, and above all, a completely new engine.

So no, its not going to be cheaper than the Continental GT. It will have the standard "model jump" PLUS the "engine tax" PLUS I strongly suspect a "RADICAL NEW PREMIUM"

How much more expensive, all depends on how good the new engine really is. But I would very conservatively peg the bike in the region of 2.75 lacs. Realistically, I suspect a bit more.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 13:59   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Pramod I think your price expectations are a bit on the unrealistic side, especially when its Royal Enfield we are speaking about. But I would very conservatively peg the bike in the region of 2.75 lacs. Realistically, I suspect a bit more.
If what you said is true (which most likely is) that's one less bike sold by RE

I am flooded with options if I stretch my budget 2 more lacs(in the days to come)

I wanted a scrambler wanted to build one, but since one is available off the shelf and is mostly what I was thinking design wise, but its more of a vanity bike and if Enfield is trying to create a niche in India (there are no scramblers that I remember launched in India officially before this) and if they are not aggressive with pricing, they will end up selling very few bikes and this would be added to the list of bikes which came and went, all the guys who showed faith and bought these bikes would be put through hell waiting for the parts

lets hope they learn from past experiences.

Pramod
Old 7th May 2015, 14:08   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
If what you said is true (which most likely is) that's one less bike sold by RE
Pramod you would be surprised at the craze Royal Enfield is cashing in on over the past 5 years. From selling 25-30,000 bikes a YEAR, year after year, decade after decade, suddenly they are selling close to those many bikes a MONTH now! Just look at how many Royal Enfields you see on the roads now, compared to earlier. They are expanding production, setting up new factories, and still people are putting cash down and willing to wait an ABSURD ONE YEAR to get their bike! Such is the demand.

So no, I do not agree with you that this will be a dud on pricing. Royal Enfield will milk the price, and people will line up with cash and their cheque books to book it and wait.

This does look like a new engine, and I would really be interested to see what it can do. The rest is not much different than what can and has been done in many local workshops on Bullets down the ages.

Last edited by ebonho : 7th May 2015 at 14:13.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 14:26   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That Hero Honda CD100 style exhaust is a massive eyesore on what is a reasonably ok looking retro classic scrambler.
Yes, the GT's muffler would have looked much better. Hoping they will re-design it before launching .

Anyway with the numerous aftermarket options, that shouldn't be a problem.

One can also fabricate a nice one that suits the bike.

Agree with you on the pricing part. I am quite sure this would be higher than the GT , but I am hoping it would include the stand out parts(shocks, brakes, rims, etc) that the GT is fitted with.
Old 7th May 2015, 14:34   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Agree with you on the pricing part. I am quite sure this would be higher than the GT , but I am hoping it would include the stand out parts(shocks, brakes, rims, etc) that the GT is fitted with.
Based on tons of modified mono-shocked Bullets I have seen (made in local workshops) and ridden, that more than the engine is what I am praying RE got right. The entire feel of the bike depends on that and the front end.

I don't think RE will skimp on the equipment levels vis a vis the Con GT. But I would expect the front fork to be a lot beefier with a lot more travel.

The exhaust I agree on. Most will be changing to either short megaphones or there will be a new market for under-seat supertrapps! RE boys can never be separated from their exhausts.
Old 7th May 2015, 14:55   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pramod you would be surprised at the craze Royal Enfield is cashing in on over the past 5 years
Agreed with you 100%, but which REs are selling mostly the bullets and some TBs, I still see a CGT once in a month and I stay 4-5 kms away from the RE Concept showroom and very close to the highway. Why I am comparing it with a CGT is due to the numbers it sold due to a café racer styling. Scramblers and Dirt bikes are generally rare so if they price high there will be surly people with their cheque books outside RE showrooms but the like will be very small, I hope you get my drift.

my company gets some additional preference at the local RE outlet because of the sheer number of bikes bought by my colleagues. Last time I went there they offered me a CGT in red within 1 week of booking.

I still didn't buy one cause I could not digest a 200k RE and though it was the top of the like RE but something was missing. There were finance options of as low as 3k/ month for 3 years and it still didn't excite me.

You get much more from other bikes at the price than REs, no offences and I have no intention to take this thread in any other direction than it was originally intended.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 16:24   #116
Senior - BHPian

The 410 cc motor being tested puts out about 5 bhp more than the Con GT's 535 motor.

But am hearing differing versions of whether the Himalayan we see is going to get it. Some are saying its the same 535 motor with a different clutch casing.

RE is also trying hard to reduce weight on this bike. For example, there is a rumor that the tank we see is actually a plastic shroud like in the KTM Duke's.

Last edited by ebonho : 7th May 2015 at 16:26.
Old 8th May 2015, 15:49   #117
BHPian

Oh this one's gonna be expensive all right, especially since they'd want to build a nice premium feel around it with all their "Himalayan" merchandise. More so than the cgt I suspect.

I hope the plastic thing stays a rumour, on a retroish motorcycle like this it would look outta place. Plus how much of an in increase in the power to weight ratio can it really give, negligible I suppose.

Regards,

BOV
Old 15th May 2015, 15:40   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Plus how much of an in increase in the power to weight ratio can it really give, negligible I suppose.
A steel tank can weigh anywhere between 10-15kgs. A plastic tank may weigh even less than half of that. Besides, don't RE make enough retro styled bikes aready??

Last edited by GTO : 16th May 2015 at 17:19. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 14:56   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
A steel tank can weigh anywhere between 10-15kgs. A plastic tank may weigh even less than half of that. Besides, don't RE make enough retro styled bikes aready??
I don't have a problem with a plastic tank, just that I'm a tad bit worried on how it might be executed

That being said, if the design is retro, I still feel that a steel tank would be better. Always liked 'em more, no iron clad reason really.

Although since it is a mono shock I suppose they will be moving away from the "retro" direction.

Well making Retro bikes is what they at good at really, in our market as well as the international market. The more they move away form that the harder they will have to work to establish themselves.

Regards,

BOV

Last edited by B O V : 16th May 2015 at 15:01.
Old 18th May 2015, 18:21   #120
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield has been testing a new motorcycle that has been labelled the Himalayan. The motorcycle was recently caught on test and though camouflaged, the test mule revealed multiple key details. The motorcycle has been caught on test yet again and this time around, features an upward facing ‘off-road’ exhaust.

Link to Team-BHP news article

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-1.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-2.jpg
Tushar is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks