Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 11:39   #1
BHPian

Fuel pump replacement for the Yamaha R15

Hey guys,

My 2008 Yamaha R15 has finally broken down, and refuses to start. I believe the problem lies with a faulty fuel pump, and therein lies the reason I need help from fellow BHP-ians.

It seems the cost for a new fuel pump is Rs. 10,000 from the Yamaha authorized guys. (I have contacted Avian Yamaha at Byculla, and Kamla Yamaha at Lower Parel, both said roughly the same).

Does anyone here have a more cost-efficient solution for me? I rarely use this bike (it runs around 100 km in a month), and keep it more to occupy a garage in my building than for anything else.
It would also be very useful to me if someone could share the details of a good independent mechanic who could take a look at the R15 and sort out other minor niggles (the accelerator sometimes gets stuck, brake lever has too much travel, etc).

I don't need the best solution. Just a cheap solution to at least get my bike to run. Also, please note that the bike broke down and is parked 7-8 km away from my house, and will most likely have to be towed to whichever mechanic or service center I take it to.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2015 at 10:50. Reason: As requested :)
Old 12th February 2015, 12:21   #2
BHPian

re: Fuel pump replacement for the Yamaha R15

I too faced the same problem before I sold off my bike. In my case it wasnt the fuel pump but the rust+water in the fuel tank that had clogged the fuel pump filter.

Just take it to a road side mechanic and get the fuel tank cleaned along with the debris removed from the fuel pump filter.

It should be a cheap fix of an otherwise probable wrong diagnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Hey guys,

My 2006 Yamaha R15 has finally broken down, and refuses to start. I believe the problem lies with a faulty fuel pump, and therein lies the reason I need help from fellow BHP-ians.

It seems the cost for a new fuel pump is Rs. 10,000 from the Yamaha authorized guys. (I have contacted Avian Yamaha at Byculla, and Kamla Yamaha at Lower Parel, both said roughly the same).

Does anyone here have a more cost-efficient solution for me? I rarely use this bike (it runs around 100 km in a month), and keep it more to occupy a garage in my building than for anything else.
It would also be very useful to me if someone could share the details of a good independent mechanic who could take a look at the R15 and sort out other minor niggles (the accelerator sometimes gets stuck, brake lever has too much travel, etc).

I don't need the best solution. Just a cheap solution to at least get my bike to run. Also, please note that the bike broke down and is parked 7-8 km away from my house, and will most likely have to be towed to whichever mechanic or service center I take it to.

Thank you everyone for your help.
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
I too faced the same problem before I sold off my bike. In my case it wasnt the fuel pump but the rust+water in the fuel tank that had clogged the fuel pump filter.

Just take it to a road side mechanic and get the fuel tank cleaned along with the debris removed from the fuel pump filter.

It should be a cheap fix of an otherwise probable wrong diagnosis
I'm pretty sure there is a problem with the fuel pump.

The fuel indicator on my bike does not work, it merely flashes "on & off". When I took the bike to Avian Yamaha around 3 months ago, the service adviser specifically told me that it is a problem with the fuel pump, and the bike may give trouble in the future. I should have listened to him, but at the time I didn't fix it, since I didn't want to shell out Rs. 8,000 then for the fuel pump (which is why my bike is now stuck below a friend's building).

I would still prefer to try your solution as if it works, it would save me a lot of money, but the problem is I don't know of any trustworthy mechanics in South Mumbai to whom I can hand over my bike.
Old 12th February 2015, 13:23   #4
BHPian

I had the same issue with my Aug 2008 model. The only cheaper alternative available, which I went for, was to replace the injector from an accident vehicle!!

If you have a good repo with your dealer, ask him to scout for a damaged R15 which is anyways going under a total loss claim.

Last edited by amanomics : 12th February 2015 at 13:25.
Old 13th February 2015, 00:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel pump replacement for the Yamaha R15

Quote:

The fuel indicator on my bike does not work, it merely flashes "on & off". When I took the bike to Avian Yamaha around 3 months ago, the service adviser specifically told me that it is a problem with the fuel pump, and the bike may give trouble in the future. I should have listened to him, but at the time I didn't fix it, since I didn't want to shell out Rs. 8,000 then for the fuel pump (which is why my bike is now stuck below a friend's building).

I would still prefer to try your solution as if it works, it would save me a lot of money, but the problem is I don't know of any trustworthy mechanics in South Mumbai to whom I can hand over my bike.
you can try salvage yard, I am sure there must be quite some handful of R15s and you can get the entire tank set in under 5k, let alone the fuel pump. 10k is darn too steep for a R15s fuel pump, I mean my car's fuel pump comes is comparatively less.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 14th February 2015, 10:24   #6
BHPian

Try some shops in Opera house. you will surely find someone who can repair it.

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2015 at 12:19. Reason: Please do NOT share your mobile phone number on public threads
Old 14th February 2015, 18:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

My 2008 Yamaha R15 has finally broken down, and refuses to start. I believe the problem lies with a faulty fuel pump, and therein lies the reason I need help from fellow BHP-ians.
Hi,

I hope, you have checked that that there is no line pressure, and hence finalized that the fuel pump is the culprit? If not, please check it. Also, clear all electrical problems that will lead to this issue before going in for an expensive part replacement.

Also, check this: http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/general-...e-storage.html
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 10:36   #8
BHPian

Thanks for your help guys.

By some miracle my R15 managed to start after 5 days of being left alone

It still definitely has some kind of problem as the fuel indicator keeps on flashing, but this does make things significantly easier since it doesn't have to be towed anywhere.

I'll see if I can find a good local mechanic near the Opera House area.
Old 18th February 2015, 16:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:

The fuel indicator on my bike does not work, it merely flashes "on & off"..

You have said that your fuel indicator flashes on and off. I do not mean to sound stupid/ make you feel that way, but have you tried putting in fuel??

Mr Rakesh - NINE eight ONE nine ZERO five ZERO eight ZERO five. has a workshop in Worli. Should be able to help you out.

Kurla and CST road will sort you out in half the cost. Be it a fuel pump or be it a turn indicator.

Please note that I always believe in putting in genuine parts from service centers for more reasons than I can think of. I am suggesting you these places since you have mentioned you just want a parking space occupied.

Simple Pointers to keep your motorcycle running
- I always prefer keeping fuel in the motorcycle if I am going out of town.(unless I am parking it next to an electric circuit boxes in apts.)
- Battery is unplugged
- Body cover with tobacco twigs (keeps away the rodents)

Hope this helps.

DM99

Most Viewed