Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2017, 12:00   #76
BHPian

Re: Bajaj could bring back the Chetak scooter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Yes it is only stubbornness, plus the Safire disaster! They burnt their fingers on that one.
My family has a history of Bajaj mopeds. It started with the original Sunny, then came the Sunny Zip, followed by an emerald green Saffire and finally a Kristal DTSi. I learnt to ride on the original sunny around my house and I distinctly remember feeling that the 60cc Sunny Zip was just too powerful

Both the Sunny models were great. I rode the Kristal literally to death and it was a great product as well, easily better than the rivaling Pleasure and Scooty. However, the Saffire, it was horrible! It spent much more time at the service center than even the REs of that time. I dont recall it being available on the weekends at all by the time we decided to scrap it. It always had something or the other failing. I think the biggest problem with it was Bajaj did not invest as much into training its mechanics as much as it spent on development of the product. It was beyond what the SVC could handle at that time. The scooter was really good while it ran but the mechanics just could not solve even the most basic of problems and actually made them even worse.

I think someone higher up who was responsible for training decided to just pass on the blame onto the product rather than incompetent service and the management as a whole decided against scooters for good.

I still own a bajaj(KTM, its the same) and Bajaj SVC has grown leaps. They have shown themselves to be capable to developing really high quality products, and I feel the Bajaj of Today is more than capable of working its way into the scooter market.
Old 14th September 2017, 12:35   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post

I still own a bajaj(KTM, its the same) and Bajaj SVC has grown leaps. They have shown themselves to be capable to developing really high quality products, and I feel the Bajaj of Today is more than capable of working its way into the scooter market.
Remember, that they were also servicing Kawasaki Bikes until recently. And they did a fairly commendable job while they were at it. I remember the boys eyes always lighting up when a Kawasaki rolled in for some work.

The odd rotten apple does exist however.
Old 15th September 2017, 13:50   #78
BHPian

Off topic but about retro scooters though, I have a mechanic who attends my yezdi and there is a beautiful shaped scooter lambretta in its blue and white in his yard. Rusting in neglect. He showed me pictures of him racing all over India wit his modified Vijay super and also what he says is lambretta in its racing modified avatar! He swears by the vijay super.

I know Chetak a bit. How does the scooters he mentions compared to Chetak in ride and usability?

My heart is set on the lovely lambretta with its inclined Stepney and all. He is asking 40k to restore it. Worth it? I don mind the cost if it rides good. Just once a week office rounds is all I want of it. Please advice.
Old 19th July 2018, 12:39   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Bajaj Chetak to Make A Big Comeback Next Year In India in 2019.

Bajaj could bring back the Chetak scooter!-2019bajajchetak1.jpg

Bajaj Chetak will be a premium scooter rivalling Piaggio Vespa; to get an electric version in 2020 under ‘Chetak Chic Electric’ name.

Link
Old 19th July 2018, 12:41   #80
BHPian

This one does not look anywhere near the real Chetak. They should have retained the old looks with modern tech under the skin.
Old 19th July 2018, 13:05   #81
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj/Mahindra want to re-use just the names. Not sure they will succeed in their endeavour. You have to use new drive trains but there should use some of the old character or looks in them. RE does it well, they even carry forward the issues
Old 19th July 2018, 13:27   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
This one does not look anywhere near the real Chetak. They should have retained the old looks with modern tech under the skin.
I guess they can't do a similar looking machine because of Vespa being a competitor in the market now. Chetak was just a licensed Vespa afterall.
Old 19th July 2018, 14:21   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
RE does it well, they even carry forward the issues
OT, post this in the jokes thread also.

Most Viewed