Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2014, 14:16   #1
J.Ravi

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple

Yesterday [17 Sep 2014], we visited the Bullet Baba Om Banna shrine located on NH 65 about 53 km from Jodhpur towards Pali in Rajasthan. We were to drive from Jaisalmer, RJ to Vapi, GJ. The direct route was the one via Barmer and Sanchore. When my son mentioned that this shrine is located on Jodhpur - Pali NH, I immediately changed the route to the one via Jodhpur just to visit this shrine! Please see here for the background details of the shrine. Here are some photographs clicked by my son and daughter at the shrine:

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-img_5447.jpg

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-img_5448.jpg

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-img_5449.jpg

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-img_5453.jpg

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-img_5455.jpg

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-img_5477.jpg

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-img_5485.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2015 at 11:36. Reason: Copying post to a new thread. Thanks
  (14) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 05:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Bullet Baba Om Banna Shrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yesterday [17 Sep 2014], we visited the Bullet Baba Om Banna shrine located on NH 65 about 53 km from Jodhpur towards Pali in Rajasthan.
Oh wait! I have never heard of a Bullet Baba. I was very curious and I clicked on the link. The following is the history:

In 1988, Om Banna (formerly known as Om Singh Rathore)was travelling from the town known as Bangdi near Sanderao of Pali to Chotila when he lost control of his motorcycle and struck a tree: Om Banna was killed instantly, his motorcycle falling into a nearby ditch. The morning after the accident, local police took the motorcycle to a nearby police station. The next day it was reported to have disappeared from the station and was found back at the site of the accident. Police, once again, took the motorcycle, this time emptying its fuel tank and putting it under lock and chain to prevent its removal. Despite their efforts, the next morning it again disappeared and was found at the accident site. Legend states that the motorcycle kept returning to the same ditch. It thwarted every attempt by police to keep it at the local police station; the motorcycle was always returned to the same spot before dawn.

This came to be seen as a miracle by local population, and they began to worship the “Bullet Bike.” News of the miracle motorcycle spread to nearby villages, and later they built a temple to worship it. This temple is known as “Bullet Baba’s Temple." It is believed that Om Banna’s spirit helps distressed travellers. The temple includes a tree ornamented with offerings of bangles, scarves and rope. The temple beside the Enfield motorbike has a large picture of Singh.

For the past twenty years, Poonam Giri has maintained the temple and acted as priest.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om_Banna

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd April 2015 at 12:33. Reason: Tiny edit :)
JoseVijay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:44   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple

J.Ravi, thanks for sharing!

I recently got to know about 'Bullet Baba'. Searched on Team-BHP and sure enough, there was information on it . Have copied your posts into a new thread on this unique shrine. Only in India...

Back in 2010, Ani_meher also visited the Bullet Baba. He's his post & pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
While riding, we were passing through some busy spot having many shops, when Nandinee shouted “Wait, Aniruddha, Bullet baba!”

This is a holy sight for locals, where the story goes like this: This person Om Banna T. Chotila was going on his bullet, drunk. He hit a tree here and died on spot. When police shifted the motorcycle to police station, in the morning it was back at the accident scene! Then police thought someone was playing prank, so they removed all petrol, locked it in a garage, but same thing happened. This much adventure was enough for the police to wash their hands clean out of this, and the motorcycle was given to the next of kin. The family sold it to someone in Gujarat, about 400kms away. But still the bike returned to its place here! The purchaser got scared and left his claim on it.
Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-1.jpg

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-2.jpg

A pic from Royal Enfield Tour's Facebook Page:

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-3.jpg

And yet another interesting read at this link.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 12:29   #4
BHPian

Very interesting! The temple has made good progress over the years! Should we say this happens only in India!
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 14:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting story indeed.

Not sure why it hasn't been covered on Discovery / National Geo channels yet
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:04   #6
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember reading about it some 5-6 years back. Royal Enfield advertisements used to come up in major auto magazines around that time, one of the adverts featured the Bullet Baba Temple as well.

Posting a pic of the same:
Attached Thumbnails
Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-trip9l.jpg  

//M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:28   #7
BHPian

Amazing !

Though I am apprehensive of the story, I am baffled at how Indians can build temples for anything whatsoever. And I am wondering why it hasn't made any news in our 'sensationalist' news hours.... 'India demands the answer why the bike keeps on returning to the spot'
poised2drive is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 17:07   #8
BHPian

This was reported by Overdrive mag in 2006..
The additional story provided is welcome though!
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:24   #9
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have copied your posts into a new thread on this unique shrine. Only in India...
Oh, thank you very much, GTO.

Incidententally, Rajasthan has another temple for rats! Here are the details. So, when actors, politicians, religious leaders and rats can have temples built for them, why not one for a Bullet?

Here are some more photographs clicked by my son:

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-img_5445.jpg

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-img_5493.jpg

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-ombanna.jpg

Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple-img_5504.jpg
  (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 20:48   #10
BHPian

I belong to Jodhpur, that's roughly 40 Kms from this place. Few years back, I was traveling from Pali to Jodhpur in a private bus and I knew about Om Banna and the temple, I had heard the stories. I was going through a bad patch and as we were passing through the temple, something in me felt that I should challenge this and I whispered, There is nothing like this. Om Banna's story is man made with no truth in it. If at all, the bike and Om Banna has some power they should do something right now to make me feel their presence. The moment I finished the sentence, the front left side glass of the bus shattered into pieces. Yes, a smoothly running bus and the glass just shatters. I do not believe in all this, but that was the day my logics gave up.

Could have been a coincidence, could have been anything. I don't challenge them anymore.
Engine_Roars is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:37   #11
BHPian

Found this temple after a friend told me about the disappearing temple in Gujarat. Was googling for stambheshwar mahadev temple when the om banna temple popped up.

This temple is featured in almost all lists of unusual temples in India.
Though as such I am not a believer, I have already made up my mind to visit the temple.

A couple of years ago, when I was going to Polo Forest, I had to ask the way to someone, who happened to be a school headmaster.

He advised me to visit the vireshwar temple, which has a perennial stream that flows from under a banyan tree.

Apparently it doesn’t dry up even during droughts. He said people have come from delhi to study this phenomenon.

We went to see the temple, and, yes we drank water from the stream too.
sreepathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 02:29   #12
BHPian

I remember reading about this 'bullet baba' some 3-4 years back over the internet. Initially, the Bullet used to be parked under open sun without any shade. It's good to see the Bullet is kept this way now.

The Bullet used to be parked this way earlier, under open sky.
Pic Source: Google
Name:  BulletBabaShrine578x420.png
Views: 11690
Size:  447.8 KB
Swapnil_Alto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 17:42   #13
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Interesting story indeed.
The story is just too interesting. But who knows the actual details?

Quote:

Not sure why it hasn't been covered on Discovery / National Geo channels yet
I don't think they would ever do this. They don't have any facts. Only the local TV channels will cover this sort of story.

The truth is: Some pranksters/ friends/ jobless relatives did this.

Last edited by D4D : 5th April 2015 at 17:43.
Old 5th April 2015, 21:41   #14
BHPian

Awesome, I usually do not believe in all these stories,but I will show this to all my kith and kin ,make sure that they do not sell my car or bike after my death(including the scale model toys) or else I will come and haunt them.
girimajiananth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 17:32   #15
BHPian

Just missed this... went to jodhpur from Jaipur via pali only 3rd April. Didn't knew it was on this route, though had heard stories of OM Banna, many cab/bus/auto drivers has his photos.

Though I haven't experienced anything like this so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks