Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2017, 22:47   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Totally 3 different engines seen in all the pictures posted in this thread.
May be , may be not.

These are prototype engines with minimum production design details.

The one posted by you looks like final production ready version.

Ex. clutch cover /magneto cover / head cam cover / fins on cylinder are modified to match certain engine family or vehicle model.

First cylinder was square now its a bit round.

Mahindra Xylo in the reflection?

Last edited by jeepster : 12th May 2017 at 23:16.
Old 12th May 2017, 23:22   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
May be , may be not.

These are prototype engines with minimum production design details.

The one posted by you looks like final production ready version.

Ex. clutch cover /magneto cover / head cam cover / fins on cylinder are modified to match certain engine family or vehicle model.

First cylinder was square now its a bit round.

Look at the position of the Oil Dipstick in both the photos. It's quite different.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 12th May 2017 at 23:23. Reason: Removing image from quote
Old 12th May 2017, 23:30   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally, I like the more rounded fins better.
The square fin style looks too much like a Honda 750 with Norton valve adjustment ports.

I recently saw something that said the new Royal Enfield twin was going to have a horsepower rating somewhere between 35 and 38.
Hopefully, this isn't true. There's more than a few 400cc and 500cc bikes out there that develop more than 40 horsepower and if Royal Enfield wants to compete on the worldwide market they are going to need to offer an engine that gives competitive horsepower.
What might be competitive? At least 65 horsepower.

Achieving this much power out of a modern multi-cylinder engine isn't a new idea and it doesn't take any radical, racing type of design to reach.
Back in 1987 (yes, 30 years ago), my BMW K-75 triple with its 750 cc capacity was cranking out more than 75 horsepower and it was very reliable.
That Beemer could easily travel at 80 mph all day long.

I understand the roads in India aren't often ridden at high speeds but here in the United States, many of the interstate highways have speed limits of 80 mph (130 kmph). Several other Countries around the world have similar limits.

Most drivers travel at 85 mph so you see, 38 horsepower isn't going to make the cut. Why would anyone want to pay large amounts of money for a machine that can't keep up with normal traffic?
It wouldn't be for the brand name on the world market.
Most people who see my Bullet think it was made by Triumph or BSA. They have never heard of Royal Enfield.

OK. I'll get off of my soap box but, if Royal Enfield really wants to sell their new twin on the worldwide market, they will need to offer something that is truly competitive.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 08:33.
ArizonaJim is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 18:41   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Why would anyone want to pay large amounts of money for a machine that can't keep up with normal traffic?
Absolutely, anything in the range of 55-65 at the least. I hope Sid Lal in thinking on these same lines. For Indian use, the bike should be able to hold a steady 120 Kmph at least, with enough juice left for overtakes, without vibrating the riders Vertebrae out of its place!!!
Old 16th May 2017, 13:37   #140
BHPian

Yes, engine refinement and better quality components would be welcome. Rattles, squeaks and unfinished parts with poor craftsmanship have been seen even in the Himalayan. I feel its important for RE to understand that even if they have huge fan base which would keep buying their motorbikes, it wont hurt in the long run to improve their overall craftsmanship levels along with reliability.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 10:01   #141
Senior - BHPian

The Continental GT has not been accepted with open arms (just about 100 units per month on an average, and going still down)..

Would an extra cylinder turn the tide? The Twin Exhausts (Ok that just an extra exhaust, but does it matter to the normal consumer?) on the Mojo has done nothing till now.

Also at what Price point? Can a consumer see value for a RE that is priced more than 2 Lakhs? And at how many number per month?

Surely instead on a Cafe Racer format, this engine would have more appeal on the Classic & Bullet (probably even the Thunderbird) form.. which I am pretty sure that it would happen eventually. But at what price point?

Last edited by payeng : 10th June 2017 at 10:09.
Old 11th June 2017, 00:08   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, there's nothing wrong with mounting the new twin in the CGT's frame as this frame is a great improvement over the older single downtube design.

The frame likely will need to be strengthened to give good life with the more powerful, heavier engine and, assuming the existing CGT frame is made from a low carbon steel, I suggest making the twin's frame with chrome-molly tubing.
This would give a large increase in strength without adding a weight penalty.
The alloy welding rod used will also greatly increase the strength of the welds.

RE should not try to make this twin a Cafe Racer (although they could offer that as an optional model).
Although I love the looks of the CGT, it isn't for everyone. The riding position is great for spirited, short to medium distances but not for relaxed, long distance trips.

Instead, it should be a "standard" style similar to the old Royal Enfield Constellation or Interceptor, the Norton Commando and the Triumph Bonneville.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with these, the appearance and riding position of these older motorcycles, it is much like the Royal Enfield Classic and the Iron Barrels.

Fantastic for short or long distance trips with or without pillion, daily rides to the office or to the country and riding just about anywhere although riding them off road can be a bit of a challenge.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 11th June 2017 at 00:10.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 10:49   #143
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to V12 for sharing these frames (via a Whatsapp video forward)

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-screenshot_20170615102213.png

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-screenshot_20170615102234.png

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-screenshot_20170615102248.png

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-screenshot_20170615102252.png

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-screenshot_20170615102321.png

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-screenshot_20170615102330.png

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-screenshot_20170615102345.png
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 10:54   #144
Team-BHP Support

Hope the production version has better looking exhausts.

Not only are the current ones ugly, but they are not even aligned properly!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 10:57   #145
Senior - BHPian

For a 750 twin, a single disc seems to be a recepie for disaster. RE should have kitted this with a twin disc. Even in the current Thunderbird 500, the braking is adequate at best with a single disc. Ditto with the CGT, which has brembo brakes. So a twin disc is a necessity IMHO. And while they are at it why on earth can RE not shod its bikes with tubeless tyres?! Tube type tyres are a serious safety hazard.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 11:26   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

This video was doing rounds on Whatsapp since a couple of days ago. From the outset, looks again to be an half baked attempt at introducing a newer and more powerful powerful motorcycle from their stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
For a 750 twin, a single disc seems to be a recepie for disaster. RE should have kitted this with a twin disc. Even in the current Thunderbird 500, the braking is adequate at best with a single disc. Ditto with the CGT, which has brembo brakes. So a twin disc is a necessity IMHO. And while they are at it why on earth can RE not shod its bikes with tubeless tyres?! Tube type tyres are a serious safety hazard.
+1. 750cc and around 40bhp is enough power to rack up some high speeds and as rightly pointed out braking system should be adequate (twin disc) and also an ABS should be added as mandatory

They should do away with those spoke wheels too and get into alloys and tubeless which are far more reliable and easily repairable
Old 16th June 2017, 21:52   #147
BHPian

I sincerely hope significant testing has gone into this product before it would be presented to willing customers for sale. At the right price, if they can provide the right product. Should be a killer proposition.

Ofcourse many quality issues and service issues must be sorted out as well.

Not a fan of the cafe racer style with this motor though, as AJ rightly said something along the lines of the interceptor/bonneville/classic should be apt.
Old 29th June 2017, 08:12   #148
Senior - BHPian

Was WhatsApped these pics
The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-img20170628wa0030.jpg

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-img20170628wa0031.jpg

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-img20170628wa0032.jpg
schakravarthy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 13:08   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

+1. 750cc and around 40bhp is enough power to rack up some high speeds and as rightly pointed out braking system should be adequate (twin disc) and also an ABS should be added as mandatory
Agree with the ABS part. But even the more powerful 44 BHP Duke 390 manages with a single disc at the front, so does other 40 BHP bikes like Ninja 300 and Yamaha R3.
Old 30th June 2017, 14:45   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with the ABS part. But even the more powerful 44 BHP Duke 390 manages with a single disc at the front, so does other 40 BHP bikes like Ninja 300 and Yamaha R3.
More is definitely better but not always. Brake components make huge difference. The single disc brembo in GT may end up being far more efficient and effective than the single disc brybre. MC makes huge difference and add to it the brake lines and brake pads.

Heat is one reason where dual disc helps when its over worked. And if a brake is over worked at high speeds it must be in the track and not during your touring times.

Do test ride the current GT and report back on brakes please. My personal ride experience felt the GT had much better brakes that i was planning to get it retro fitted for my 500. The Brembo is superb and the rear brakes were totally useless as i never had to use it.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th June 2017 at 16:29. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread

Most Viewed