Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2016, 17:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 650cc Twin - Code Named 331

These rumours keep surfacing time and again, specially on the Enfield FB groups. And everytime someone posts this, 10 guys will post a picture of the Enfield Musket.
However I do remember reading somewhere, a thread which showed a photo of a Continental GT with a parallel twin. I hope they are launching that one.

Edit: Here's the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...l-enfield.html

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 29th April 2016 at 17:58. Reason: Adding Link
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:28   #62
BHPian

re: The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Bonneville?

What is a 270 deg big bang layout?

Regards
Sutripta
With a twin cylinder layout, one would ideally expect the pistons be 180 out of phase, one being at TDC while the other be at BDC.

With electronics and a good fuel pump, you can make them fire out of phase- for example align them that one would be at TDC while the other would be 90 out of phase so the firing would not a monotonic sequence.

Bikes like Harley have actually gone as far as trying to patent the sound caused by their almost mind boggling firing sequence
0-305-415-720.... 305/415 degrees, as opposed to the basic 0-180-360-540-720- s

If you want to know - this 'lazy' firing pattern requires the HD to have relatively monster flywheels, and lousy horsepower- and probably thats why they cruise well, but a lousy at doing spirited riding like a Z1000 - for example. The simplistic explanation above shows that the average superbikes would have 5 power strokes to the HDs 4, by the time the flywheel completes 720 degrees.

Further details- ping me offline.

Last edited by Hammer & Anvil : 3rd May 2016 at 11:30. Reason: addtional info.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Further details- ping me offline.
Totally confused!
For the time being, I think I'll stick with what I know.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th May 2016, 16:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
This is what I am eagerly waiting for. I hope they don't bring the engine into the Himalayan at least.
I for one am waiting with bated breath for this engine to appear on the Himalayan. From my test ride I felt the Himalayan's beautiful and sorted out chassis can complement the 650cc Parallel Twin engine very well. Also since an ADV tourer is more versatile than a cruiser, the 650cc Parallel twin engine will be a welcome addition.
Quote:
Maybe a cruiser in an all new platform other than the Classic's and Himalayan would be good.
There are rumours doing rounds that RE might look at plonking this engine on a cruiser. My guess is it will be the Tbird, I am not sure if they will stick to the same chassis. The reason I feel Tbird is because RE has been experimenting with the Tbird since its launch way back during the early 2000's. First motorcycle from RE(Although AVL Machismo 350 came before the Tbird but it didn't pick up as much sales as the AVL Tbird 350) in early 2000's to have a 5 speed transmission with the AVL engine. Fast forward to late 2000's, the Tbird 350 was the first motorcycle from RE to sport the UCE engine. Looking at the trend I feel Tbird will be the candidate for the 650cc parallel twin engine. But photos of RE CGT on the web with a parallel twin engine also makes it a possibility of CGT sporting this engine. My choice would be to have this engine on the RE Himalayan.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 4th May 2016 at 16:22.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 16:58   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Looking at the trend I feel Tbird will be the candidate for the 650cc parallel twin engine.
Its very easy to test a new engine with a model that is not doing great sales. The volume sold will be less which means RE gets time to complete their real world testing. Once they ticked all of their boxes they will then plonk it onto their best selling models with more confidence.
Simple case where they do not want to kill their golden goose.

But will the current chassis of TB be able to handle the power and weight of twin...No ways. My old TB could not handle speeds of 130+, cross winds and chassis weaving made it terrifying at times for me.
They need to develop a new chassis if they want to experiment on the TB line-up.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 17:16   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
They need to develop a new chassis if they want to experiment on the TB line-up.
^^ Which I am very sure with so many experiments carried out recently in the last decade by RE, this will also be on the top agenda.

In a lot of ways they brought a revolution within themselves and brought about a number of changes which are working for them and well some not. CGT for example is not doing the numbers even though being a superior product (mainly for the chassis and the brakes) from their current best selling lineup. Not its fault though, its a different breed altogether. But the good part is they are trying. And that's good enough for me to believe.

A 650 though as rightly pointed out will require some serious ground up chassis modelling albeit not in the TB though I wish, something new.
Old 15th July 2016, 00:33   #67
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield to add two new engine platforms : 250cc & 750cc!

Received the photos of the RE 750 but have been strictly told not to share anywhere, hence would be unable to share.

All I can say is that it looks like a lovechild of the Continental GT and Street Twin. Looks butch.
barcalad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 06:03   #68
Senior - BHPian

Got these pictures from:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/n...ds-secret-750/
Edit: Slow internet so cannot upload the remaining photos.
Attached Thumbnails
The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-royalenfield1.jpg  

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-royalenfield2.jpg  

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 15th July 2016 at 06:31.
pedrolourenco is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 10:13   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Got these pictures from
I am hugely happy but also disappointed.

Twin cylinder - wow,
Getting on a CGT - heart broken.

No offence meant to CGT owners but such an engine would be great on a TB or a Classic. Or maybe an altogether new cruiser bike or get the same engine on all current models. Maybe the rebirth of Interceptor since the retro theme is working well for RE.

I hope they come up with other versions for the same engine. Like triumph.

Last edited by The Great : 15th July 2016 at 10:15.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 10:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

..And its real!

https://www.thrustzone.com/royal-enf...le-real-spied/

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-royalenfieldgt750uk.jpg
The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-royalenfieldgt750caferacer.jpg
The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-royalenfieldgt750india.jpg

Last edited by man_of_steel : 15th July 2016 at 10:40.
man_of_steel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 10:45   #71
BHPian

Finally! The possibility of what Royal Enfield was meant to be... Classy looking bikes with modern but retro styled motors. Good news for bikers in general. The Himalayan is their first OHC bike and has seen so many 'conversions'. Bikes like these will surely make a difference.

And the good thing is its all developed/made in India. Kudos!
Old 15th July 2016, 11:49   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I am hugely happy but also disappointed.

Twin cylinder - wow,
Getting on a CGT - heart broken.
I read on a thread on T-BHP that RE is planning to come up with a new bike every year till 2020. So there is hope .

The CGT has a very dynamic chassis which will be able to handle a much larger engine than what it currently has. I believe that's what they had in mind when the made it. It has been reused in the Himalayan with some tweaking (split dual cradle) to reduce flexing. And it probably will be used again in different avatars. I wouldn't be surprised if the 650cc cruiser that is in the works sports a similar chassis.

Looking on the bright side, they probably would have sorted out all the chinks in the engine by the time it comes in a TB or Classic avatar.

I'm really interested in knowing more about this engine. SOHC/DOHC, 2 valves/4 valves... *sigh* ... It's going to be a long wait.
maker_of_things is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 13:16   #73
Senior - BHPian

Great findings by the forum members.
Royal Enfield you are on the right track. You are already hold a virtual monopoly in the 350-650 cc market. Make the Harley and Triumph sweat a little, man.
Enough of this firang heritage, lifestyle, cult, rebel, freedom concepts ...
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 16:17   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
..And its real!
Just lovely! As a current Royal Enfield Continental GT owner, my wish list from this bike would be simple

- Power : 50 odd bhp should be more than sufficient. I wouldnt complain if it went up though. If they drop it to 42 bhp would it qualify for A2 license holders?

- Weight loss : I have experienced first hand the weight of some of the components (battery, exhaust and clip ons) and they are HEAVY. It is a great bike to hustle around hair pin bends and twisties but having spent a couple of weekends on the track, I know how the weight impacts its flickability. Come on Royal Enfield, go on a bit of a diet with the new one.

- Top end performance : Cause well duh!

- Functional Windscreen : Refer to point above.

- More colours : Blue and light gray please.

Pricing is the big question mark. Given that the Yamaha R3 costs Rs 3.85 lacs OTR and the Ninja 300 is Rs 4.3 lacs OTR, I think below Rs 3.25 lacs OTR would be justified. The current Continental GT costs Rs 2.34 L so a 80 K - 100K premium should make sense.

Oh and in case anyone from Royal Enfield is reading this, you know who to call if you want someone to test your new bike .
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 18:55   #75
BHPian

Looks very nice. Really hope RE offers the engine in the Classic/Bullet format besides just the Conti GT. Would love a new generation Interceptor! I really tried to like my Continental GT, loved the looks but ergonomics didn't sit right with me, so sold it off recently. Keeping fingers crossed for the new twin-engine RE!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks