Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2015, 14:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield

Stumbled upon a couple of pics in Facebook. Apparently the link which hosted these pictures is taken down and everybody thought that it was an April 1st hoax! But I think these pictures of a crude looking parallel twin with oil cooler and what looks like an OHC is worth noting. Also note a barrel with 'Royal Enfield' written on it. Could this be a spy shot from the Factory?

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-994442_10204185541498630_3177238605159264666_n.jpg

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-11011108_10204185539898590_8192803346889382232_n.jpg

Last edited by man_of_steel : 1st April 2015 at 15:07.
man_of_steel is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 17:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Royal Enfield trademarking the name "Himalayan" for its apparel range

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Stumbled upon a couple of pics in Facebook. Apparently the link which hosted these pictures is taken down and everybody thought that it was an April 1st hoax! But I think these pictures of a crude looking parallel twin with oil cooler and what looks like an OHC is worth noting. Also note a barrel with 'Royal Enfield' written on it. Could this be a spy shot from the Factory?
Wonder if this was a service center and if yes, why will RE give to a service center for testing or was it sent across for training?

That is clearly the Conti GT on which the engine has been mounted, that maybe just a test platform for the engine.
But a carb setup at this age?
Wonder, wonder, wonder.
Old 1st April 2015, 18:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Royal Enfield trademarking the name "Himalayan" for its apparel range

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
That is clearly the Conti GT on which the engine has been mounted, that maybe just a test platform for the engine.
Don't know if its only me, but doesn't the tubes of the double cradle looks wider apart on this compared to a stock CGT?

Quote:
But a carb setup at this age?
Wonder, wonder, wonder
May be based on the their theory that if it works with a carb then it will work with anything!

Just noticed that the oil filter is mounted in front of the crank case like an inline four.
Old 1st April 2015, 18:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't know if its only me, but doesn't the tubes of the double cradle looks wider apart on this compared to a stock CGT?
Probably is, to accommodate the bigger engine .

I am more excited of this engine actually making it's way to the market from RE. I wonder who they colloborated this time to make this one or is it some modded GT lying in one of the workshops and someone decided to post it today on FB.
Old 1st April 2015, 18:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I think these pictures of a crude looking parallel twin with oil cooler and what looks like an OHC is worth noting.
I can only think of this being the rebirth of the Royal Enfield Interceptor. The last time an Interceptor was available was back in the 60's and from the Brit days of Royal Enfield.

Bring it on Enfield. A lot of folks have been waiting for a big twin.
Old 1st April 2015, 21:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
.... or is it some modded GT lying in one of the workshops and someone decided to post it today on FB.
Most likely so. idk if the Indian market GT's have a VIN plate on chassis. Clutch assy on RHS- why would they bother to flip the clutch & final drive sides? Too unconvincing, i'd like to be wrong though.
With an OHC, RE will be jumping into deep waters in terms of performance expectations where the terms nostalgia & lifestyle would not float for long. Guess Mr.Lal wouldn't want another on the lines of sub-Ton CGT.

Last edited by Rennjit : 1st April 2015 at 21:19.
Old 4th April 2015, 03:10   #7
BHPian

Rumour: Twin Cylinder Royal Enfield

Just read a post on bikeportal.in . I was actually thrilled to see the post. It has real pics of twin cylinder Royal Enfield under testing. It looks like finally RE has decided to take on Harley.

Going by the current figures that a royal enfield 350cc makes, it is safe to assume that this bike will produce power in the vicinity of 45-50 BHP. And with loads of torque that is characteristic of any RE bike, this should be a fun to drive.

Having owned a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 for 2 years now, I can vouch for the fact that there is nothing more satisfying than riding a Bullet (I have ridden Yezdi during my college days). The kind of serenity a Bullet ride provides you, it is only next to state of Nirvana. So I am looking forward to launch of 750CC Bullet. (BTW, my RE dealer had also told me around month and a half back that RE is working on a 750 CC Bullet. This has been confirmed now by this article on bikeportal).
ukalia is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 13:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield

At last a new inline twin from RE with Dual exhausts
Adding some snaps from the source site
Attached Thumbnails
The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-51c27cd7f03f487e82a08e9551b8a238.jpg  

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-aacd337167f234c1b6c62d53e60e2cf4.jpg  

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-e33fcb345ed2105d8a0e99ae590ffeb4.jpg  

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-ef0ad208a9c263e0a65969a5a907ae73.jpg  

Mr.Boss is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 16:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukalia View Post
I was actually thrilled.
So was I, and indeed all of the RE fraternity I guess is thrilled to read the news.

THIS was just what the doctor ordered.

My personal opinion about the current line of UCE bullets was not so great since I have had the pleasure of owning a Cast Iron version of the Bullet for more than a decade before I sold it, also had the privilege to ride the 1959 Matchless G9 500cc parallel twin, here in mumbai and maaannnn that feeling cannot be described in words. The current lineup does bring advancements and ease of owning a Bullet like never before but the reliability issues posted in various threads here does disappoint to a large extent.

The twin cylinder 750 changes the game fully. This is like a direct pun to Harleys and Triumphs. And I am sure the pricing would be comparatively lesser than the big guns and finally the biker enthusiasts can enjoy the power of a 750 and the feel of a twin cylinder with the advantage of affordability.

I am getting so many goosebumps already, just cannot wait, man I need to start saving now !!
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 16:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

I'm not a big Enfield fan, nor have I owned one. But the best thing I used to love is the thump of that single.

Now, with that clean beat gone (twin?) - I guess it upto the specs and pricing now to take on Harley. A welcome move anyways.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 17:33   #11
BHPian

There are some things(my wild-a**ed guess) which make it look like an engine swap.

The engine itself. No RE logo, the engine fins look like they belong to a Japanese Motorcycle(Honda, most likely) or it may be a Chinese motor which is shoehorned into the rolling chassis(like that 250 swap into the FZ). Secondly, the Air cleaner. I presume no Manufacturer will test their motorcycles with a pod filter setup(see how wrinkly the right filter is). Thirdly, the carburetor setup. Considering the ability of our 'service' technicians in the RE stealership, the double carb setup will be going back 5 steps from the fuel injected offerings that we currently have.

Last edited by Manoj2268 : 4th April 2015 at 17:39.
Manoj2268 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 18:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm not a big Enfield fan, nor have I owned one. But the best thing I used to love is the thump of that single.
Now, with that clean beat gone (twin?) - I guess it upto the specs and pricing now to take on Harley. A welcome move anyways.
Exactly so. The beat(thump) has always been the sole USP for buying a RE for many buyers. A bike with the RE badge but missing the thump would be pure disappointment to hard core Bulleteers. If they want this bike to sell, they need to make it very, very appealing to the widest range of people possible. If they price it like the HD Street 750, this will probably become a market dud. People will always buy the HD for badge value.

Enough rumors and spy shots RE, bring this and the Himalyan in. Don't get overconfident because your annual sales topped HD's.
Old 4th April 2015, 20:31   #13
BHPian

I was closesly observing the first of these pictures (posted by manofsteel) and wondering if that was a second carb, thanks for the better pic's, confirms that it indeed is a parallel twin.

Although I don't understand how the bottom end seems reversed.

Wonder how this new motor behaves. Would it stick true to the roar of a twin? I hope for their own sake that they manage to get a stellar motorcycle out.

And I hope they give some training to them ass technicians. Imagine a customer spending premium monies on such a motorcycle and getting the half arsed replies we normally get at the RE service centres

Regards,

BOV
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 20:53   #14
BHPian

Nah - I wouldn't get my hopes up. It looks like a cheap engine shoehorned into a donor bike. Look at the logo, company would not put a logo that is out of sync on a mule. They have a trademark which they would have followed if they intended. Another is twin carb setup- they wouldn't be able to sell such a bike internationally or even in India with twin carbs owing to pollution norms. Looks just a garage job to me - sorry.
sids911 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 01:17   #15
BHPian

Now, here is my take. It is a test bike. They don't need to have shiny chrome or RE badge. It is for well, testing and the twin carb set up will be replaced by EFI if the bike ever comes to production stage. But I will anyday buy this rather than Harley 750 street. I am not at all impressed by HD 750, its build quality screams cheapness, exposed wires and cheaps switches are such a turn off. Cheers
Leepower is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed